Quantcast 3 year old in the parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 year old in the parks

Hi all! Anyone have any advice for taking a 3 year old to the parks? For example, tips for must do attractions and place to rest during the day (other than going back to our resort)? Thanks in advance!
    CBR - 8/02
    GF-7/03
    POR - 12/03
    AS Movies - 5/05
    PC- 7/06
    July 2007--A day at Downtown Disney and the Magic Kingdom!
    CBR--7/09
    AKL/Kidani Village-7/13
    CBR--7/15
    Beach Club--7/17

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When DD was younger, we found that the things that interested her the most were the things that we'd normally skip (like the water play area in what is now Storybook Circus). We did a lot more "go with the flow" and let her enjoy what caught her eye.

She also loved looking at the fish in The Seas building, but overall there was so much to look at and take it, that anything was good, she enjoyed just about everything!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

With a 3 year old I would keep your ride expectations low and take it easy. Don't over plan. Your child is going to have a blast just being in the parks and you will too. When they are that little I try to max out at 3 to 4 hours in the parks. Nemo, Small World, Pooh and Playhouse Disney in HS are our must dos.

Post Thanks / Like

Must do attractions are basically watching what goes on around. Over the years we've brought at least three 3 year olds to the World.

The easy ones fall asleep in the stroller wherever. The more difficult ones go days (and days and days) before succumbing to a nap. (This is even with going back to the resort, making the room as dark and quiet as possible.)

Usually, they'll fall asleep as soon as you enter a restaurant. At Marrakesh, we were allowed to keep the child in the stroller in the restaurant. At 50s Prime Time, another one slept on the bench at the table.

Very much, as a previous poster said, let your 3 yr old direct the action. One trip it was the lighted sidewalks in Epcot that were the highlights, keeping attention for well over an hour. Water (fountains, etc.) is a big draw as well. There is Dumbo, and Aladdin's Magic Carpet, but we've had kids take exception to even Dumbo. Mostly I don't recall many rides that were must do.

None of our 3 yr olds wanted to get in a line to hug a character. They were happy to watch from a distance, and even from the safety of the stroller. Some would hug characters in restaurants and some were more reserved; restaurants are definitely - even now - our best opportunity for photo ops.

2014 we're hoping to bring our fourth (great granddaughter) to WDW. Be interesting.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

One of the rules we followed when the kids were young was: On the third day they rested. We found the kids could go for two days at most and then on the third day they just need to do nothing.

Another rule, don't push your kid at a character even if you've been waiting 45 minutes to see them. I know it can be frustrating and supposedly your child loves that character, but seeing them life-size makes some kids freak out.
    2012 - AoA
    2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1997, 1986, 1985, 1974, 1973
    When you're a little kid you're a bit of everything; Scientist, Philosopher, Artist. Sometimes it seems like growing up is giving these things up one at a time. - The Wonder Years

Post Thanks / Like

Default You may not want to hear this, but...

I know you said something about not going back to the resort, but please heed this advice. Having taken my girls for the first time when they were ages two and three, it REALLY helps all involved if you leave the parks around lunch time and either put the kid down for a nap, with maybe a quick tripfirst to the resort pool to completely tire the kid out. The kid is rested, you can recharge your battery and everyone is ready to hit the parks again. I have seen way too many exhausted, screaming kids being dragged around, miserable in the 'Happiest Place on Earth'. So save yourself some sanity, bite the bullet and take the kid(s) back to the hotel for a nap, instead of force feeding the entire Disney experience down their throat. You'll thank me later. Have a great time!
    29 trips to WDW and counting, and Four Disney cruises so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scare proofing for the charactrer 'meet and greets'

Also, we sort of eased our kids into the world of giant costumed characters by having them meet our local minor league team mascot. They warmed up to the Bowie Baysox's, 'Louie from Bowie' after a few times, then had no problem at all with Mickey, and company. Just a thought.
    29 trips to WDW and counting, and Four Disney cruises so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Just use good common sense - the advice already posted is how you want to do it - first, don't overdue it. 3 years old remember....sudden naps, occasional meltdowns, too hot, hungry, not hungry; you get the idea. Building in breaks around the parks and back to your resort is essential. Quality time not quantity is key. MK is a great park, the many animal options at AK could be good, you know a wee one will let you know what they're enjoying and what they want no part of - you just need to be patient and adapt as you go. Hey, its WDW - it is paradise for a young one. ENJOY!!
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice! To previous poster, meeting a mascot is a great idea! Actually, I am not far from the Bowie Baysox!
    CBR - 8/02
    GF-7/03
    POR - 12/03
    AS Movies - 5/05
    PC- 7/06
    CBR--7/09
    AKL/Kidani Village-7/13
    CBR--7/15
    Beach Club--7/17

Post Thanks / Like

We just took my 2.5 YO son for the 2d time this year, and he loved it and did great. Like everyone has said above, we pretty much let him be the guide and the trip revolved around him. He loves Epcot and Nemo is definitely one of his favorites. One thing I did was to make sure he was drinking enough water and getting healthy snacks throughout the day, like fruit and veggies. That really seemed to help his energy level and mood. We did take him to the Baby Center a few times, just to chill out and change diapers. I love going with him at this age!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Use the baby care centers - they are a great place to relax and let the little ones run around in a controlled environment (that is air conditioned). The child care centers are for families, I saw a dad waiting outside the one at EPCOT last week, I told him to head in as they cater to families and not just moms and babies.

Use the child swap option on rides!

Some will crucify me for saying this, but use a harness or backpack harness - that way your little one can walk around safely and not get away from you.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My 3 year old granddaughter loved Ariel's Grotto in the new Fantasyland area, so did my 5 year old grandson.

Are they 40 inches tall yet? They loved Splash Mountain as well.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

You have already received a lot of great advice. I definitely agree with planning to take it slower and let her guide your pace. We often get so in a day what I could do in a couple of hours, but that's okay.

Some other tips I an think of:

- Don't forgot to take advantage of the resort activities. Even though we have a pool at home my kids love the resort pools. We have also had a great time doing some of the activities at the resorts. They have done everything from frosting cookies to making t shirts.
    -Let her play in the playgrounds/water areas. The Boneyard at AKL (especially the digging section ) is very popular with my kids. The Casey Jr water area and squirting tikis are also fun. Don't forget to bring a change of clothes!
    -outside the parks, the Winter Summerland mini golf course is fun for kids.
    -3 year olds are really starting to know who they are and also are more aware of bring afraid if things. They're may be rides that seem they should ride it but scares them. For example , my son would not ride Peter Pan at that age.

In no particular order , some if the things my kids loved at 3 are IASW, the carousel, buzz lightyear, teacups, interactive queue area at Pooh, Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, Toy Story, Disney Junior show, Kilimanjaro Safari, and Innovations (especially Piggy Bank Adventure, where's the fire and the storm preparedness game).

The entertainers in all the parks are great too. Epcot has some great ones. And don't forget parades. My daughter loves the Move it, Shake it parade at MK.

One final thought is some kids at this age are very sensitive to noise. Fireworks and loud theater shows such as Phiharmagic might be an issue. I always try to sit near the end in case we need to leave during the show.

Have a great time. It is a very fun age.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Some will crucify me for saying this, but use a harness or backpack harness - that way your little one can walk around safely and not get away from you.

I totally feel you on this one! The first time we took my son when he was running around, we had to have a backpack harness. He would have run away in a second, and he's so little and there are so many people at MK. It was a lifesaver, and he actually thought it was really fun. He kept singing "backpack, backpack" (like on Diego). It really is a great way to let them run around a little on their own, without having to panic.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

We also have spent the day at Downtown Disney and also at the AoA resort, just hanging out and walking around. My son loves riding the "Mickey bus" and the monorail and he's still at that age where he doesn't really know if it's the park or not. He LOVES the AoA resort Cars section. We actually spent a few hours at that resort, letting him run around, and also eating. It's a much cheaper alternative to a park day.

Post Thanks / Like

My 3-year-old has been several times since she was a baby, most recently for 2 seperate weeks in September. My best advice is to know your own kid and follow his/her lead. IE - if she can sleep in the stroller (or anywhere for that matter) like ours did and get enough rest, that's great. If everybody would benefit more from going back to the Resort to rest, that's fine too.

Our DD enjoyed pretty much enjoyed everything we did - basically any ride without a height restriction as she still doesn't meet the minimum except for the Barnstormer - which she LOVED! The exception was Haunted Mansion. She's ridden it before when she was younger but knowing her the way we do, we knew that those images would be too much for her. Some other rides had moments of making her nervous - POTC, Imagination, Maelstrom, and some others - but with some comfort from Mom and Dad and the grandparents, she was fine.

PPs are right it talking about pace. Take it slow and easy and you should have a great time!
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that we found that worked with my nieces and nephew at that age was we altered between stroller, letting them walk, and using a carrier that got them up higher to see more. What fun is it to look all day at 2-3 feet above the ground? Just think of the view they always get when in a stroller in a crowd. Not much fun!

We also gave them lots of healthy snacks and drinks.

One thing that our kids found to be great fun was to take them over in the morning to DTD West side before it started getting busy. There they were able to just go and explore without being trampled by others and could get a bit farther away from us (but not very far). Made them feel more independent and it was fun for us to see what caught their attention. Not what we thought they would be attracted to.

We also never went more than 2 days in a row in the parks, and slept in on every 3rd day. It allowed all of us to recharge our batteries. We just went with whatever we needed or wanted to do that day that was out of the parks.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! The level of everyone's knowledge is unreal! Thanks! It has been a while since we have been to WDW, so it is nice to be able to connect to those who have more recent, expert knowledge than myself! Thanks!!!!!
    CBR - 8/02
    GF-7/03
    POR - 12/03
    AS Movies - 5/05
    PC- 7/06
    CBR--7/09
    AKL/Kidani Village-7/13
    CBR--7/15
    Beach Club--7/17

Post Thanks / Like

A 3yo in the park is no issue at all. There is so much to do, see, and take in. Most likely you will have a stroller: your own or one you rent from an outside company. Let them sleep when they need to. You can shop while they sleep in the nice AC. You can find all of the playgrounds in the park which kids need to get away from all of the other stimuli. The question is not what are the must do's, but the avoids. You can pretty much kiss the Mountains and other big rides goodbye.

Another good relaxing or napping ride is the People Mover. Its fun, in and out of AC, and very relaxing.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Talking You can always go back!

My favorite phrase for this situation is, "if you don't get to do it all, you get to go back!"

As a slightly OCD individual, I have personal issues when we can't check everything off our list. When my oldest was 3, we were on about our 3rd day at the parks, standing in MK at Peter Pan around 10 am, and she started crying and just wanted to go back to the hotel and swim at the pool! What!? I really had to step back and let my list go. Everyone will have a great time if you just don't try to do it all and enjoy just taking it all in.

We are going to have to do the same thing this year when we go b/c although my girls are older now (8 and 12), we are going around the 4th of July week, and I know it is going to be hot and crowded.

Make your "absolutely have to do list" and go from there. Enjoy and take lots of pictures!
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

Share This Thread On Social Media: