Quantcast Downton Abbey - Season 3 - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe with so much time passing for us, too, we'll be over Matthew by then and ready for Mary to step out again. But I don't know. It seems like they're missing a key chance to show us some very fine acting and help us to move on by moving out six months from the big last scene. We'll never really see the impact of the loss on the family to the fullest. That is my one complaint with the show, that they drop all these bombs on us and then move on and never deal with the full dramatic impact. So I was glad to see Tom crying over Sybil again. It seemed fitting. But sometimes, they gloss over and let time pass too fast.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Read this today from an interview with Julian Fellows, creator of Downton Abbey.

"I had hoped that we would have one episode of this fourth season that I'm writing now, so we could have ended the Christmas episode on a happy note, and then kill him in the first episode of the next series. But he didn't want to do that," Fellowes tells The New York Times of star Dan Stevens' desire to leave the show. "I didn't want his death to dominate the Christmas special, so that's why we killed him at the very, very end. In a way I think it works quite well because we begin Series 4 six months later. We don't have to do funerals and all that stuff. That's all in the past by then."

"When an actor playing a servant wants to leave, there isn't really a problem -- [that character gets] another job," he says. "With members of the family, once they're not prepared to come back for any episodes at all, then it means death. Because how believable would it be that Matthew never wanted to see the baby, never wanted to see his wife? And was never seen again at the estate that he was the heir to? So we didn't have any option, really. I was as sorry as everyone else."
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe how invested in this show I have become -- when Matthew was driving down the lane I KNEW it was coming and I still started yelling NO NO NO ... LOL! I was completely sad and just hope Mary doesn't turn sour again -- her character was just becoming awesome.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Maybe with so much time passing for us, too, we'll be over Matthew by then and ready for Mary to step out again. But I don't know. It seems like they're missing a key chance to show us some very fine acting and help us to move on by moving out six months from the big last scene. We'll never really see the impact of the loss on the family to the fullest. That is my one complaint with the show, that they drop all these bombs on us and then move on and never deal with the full dramatic impact. So I was glad to see Tom crying over Sybil again. It seemed fitting. But sometimes, they gloss over and let time pass too fast.
    Unfortunately that's the inherent problem with a series that only has 7 episodes in a season. While in a 25 episode season you can dedicate one or two episodes to dealing with the tragedy, and still have plenty of time to develop new story arcs, in a 6-8 episode season you just don't have that luxury, not if you have new stories to tell.

I wasn't particularly crazy about Matthew's character this season anyway, and his death seemed more fitting than Sybil's anyway, and it opens to door for new characters or additional character growth (like Robert taking Downton over again).

It will be a long wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Unfortunately that's the inherent problem with a series that only has 7 episodes in a season. While in a 25 episode season you can dedicate one or two episodes to dealing with the tragedy, and still have plenty of time to develop new story arcs, in a 6-8 episode season you just don't have that luxury, not if you have new stories to tell.

I wasn't particularly crazy about Matthew's character this season anyway, and his death seemed more fitting than Sybil's anyway, and it opens to door for new characters or additional character growth (like Robert taking Downton over again).

It will be a long wait.
    Yes, I think I know a thing or two about story development, but thanks. They do have the luxury to explore more than they do, to pare focus down to a a few key storylines and even some minor ones without introducing big new issues and resolving them/forgetting them in the blink of an eye. They're spreading it thin to fit more in, perhaps. I know more than a few writers who would love to have a talk with Julian Fellowes about plotting. But... he has a successful thing going so we'll trust he knows his way, save for a few disappointments over character deaths that weren't really a fault of his.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think I know a thing or two about story development, but thanks. .

Maybe it's because I watched the entire season over the course of 2 days, but I wasn't as dissapointed in it as many of you are. I was sad/shocked when I heard about the deaths of Sybil and especially Matthew(simply because the whole storyline had been built around him), which is why I watched ahead of time since I had already been so spoiled, but what can you do when the actors want to leave the series and have no intention of coming back? They originally signed on for 3 seasons. NO ONE foresaw the juggarnaut it would become. Still, Dan Stevens did a real disservice to the show that "made" him by making his decision so late in the game. Any way you slice it, he had to be killed off since he would not return for any episodes. It would make zero sense to have him leave Mary after a season of professing how in love they were. When I was first spoiled about his death I was pretty upset, but when push comes to shove I think the series can live on. I just wish he had told Julian Fellows from the start that he was done. I think the whole season may have played out differently, but, it is what it is now.

I am not a fan of the cousin either, an obvious attempt to replace Sybil, but I'll give her anotherr try. At the end of the day this is a fancy, glorified soap opera if we are being honest with our selves. All soap operas tend to ask you to suspend belief. Downton Abbey just does it in a more sophisticated kind of way
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I'm disappointed that Matthew is gone. I think the storyline will be better with Mary being free again. I just didn't see her character being as good with her married with a child. She needs to be a free spirit.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c&d View Post
    I can't say I'm disappointed that Matthew is gone. I think the storyline will be better with Mary being free again. I just didn't see her character being as good with her married with a child. She needs to be a free spirit.
    I can get over him, too. He really wasn't well suited to Mary from the start, though I think he did begin to make her a better person. I would like to see her with someone who will really stand up to her and challenge her. Also, maybe more sparks between her and Edith again. I like them to be happy but it does get dull.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I'm okay with Matthew's demise as well. I was much more struck by Sybil's death, but now it's time to move on. I'm actually excited for new storylines.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I'm resurrecting this thread because I finally got around to watching the entire season and I somehow managed NOT to read any spoilers or behind-the-scenes drama, and I have to tell you...

I was SHOCKED by Matthew's death. I too knew what would happen when he was driving (duh, kinda obvious, especially with the back and forth in the house), but I HATED that it actually happened. And after reading all of your comments now, and finding out that the next season will start six months later, I do feel cheated that we don't get to see the immediate aftermath (call me horrible).

BUT I absolutely loved the scenery, costumes, plotline setting, etc. of the final episode. Yes, it is a glorified soap opera, but how glorious!

And I can't believe no one mentioned Mrs. Patmore's subplot. Good for her!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

I was SHOCKED by Matthew's death. I too knew what would happen when he was driving (duh, kinda obvious, especially with the back and forth in the house), but I HATED that it actually happened. And after reading all of your comments now, and finding out that the next season will start six months later, I do feel cheated that we don't get to see the immediate aftermath (call me horrible).
    This. ^

I too managed to avoid any and all spoilers so I was completely unprepared. I'm better now, through the passage of time, but it was difficult to digest in the beginning.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

PBS had the option of switching airing dates to coincide with the British airing and cut down on spoilers, but they opted against it. They feel that the "buzz" from the UK airing drives us to it more. That might have been the case for the first and second season but now that we're all hooked, I wish they would curtail the potential for spoilers. Oh well. January 5th it is.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

PBS had the option of switching airing dates to coincide with the British airing and cut down on spoilers, but they opted against it. They feel that the "buzz" from the UK airing drives us to it more. That might have been the case for the first and second season but now that we're all hooked, I wish they would curtail the potential for spoilers. Oh well. January 5th it is.
    Boo.

I've been seeing a few pics from the set. Toddler Sybil is a cutie!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: