Quantcast Mistakes - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

I think WDW's biggest mistake is loss of vision.

MK was neglected for years (its FINALLY getting an expansion that will make Fantasyland bigger, although it is still tiny compaired to DLR)

Epcot has forgotten why it is there, as attractions have been dumbed down or completely removed. And what about that new country in the World Showcase...oh, never mind.

DHS is a park that isn't in Hollywood, isn't a studio, and actually isn't very Disney. It's a half day park, and hardly that.

DAK is a beautiful park, but if you actually want to do something you run out of attractions pretty quickly. Another half day park, really.

Add to that the fact that it has gotten so big and so focused on being technologically innovative that it can't even keep track of its own computers (and when things break down as the always do, it completely destroys customer service) and you have the perfect combination to send me to Disneyland!

At least they made the decision easier!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    )

Epcot has forgotten why it is there, as attractions have been dumbed down or completely removed. And what about that new country in the World Showcase...oh, never mind.

DHS is a park that isn't in Hollywood, isn't a studio, and actually isn't very Disney. It's a half day park, and hardly that.

DAK is a beautiful park, but if you actually want to do something you run out of attractions pretty quickly. Another half day park, really.
    !
    AMEN!!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

I miss the CBJ Christmas version

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    Don't care for this one at all. The Dinosaur ride is WAY too scary, and all the area needs are some seedy looking characters running the rides and games. I wish they would have had a different "vision" for this part of the park.
    It's not that scary. Maybe for the little kids, but for adults not too much
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I guess maybe looking at others' posts and thinking of mistakes with potential solutions:

* I agree with it being a mistake that cohesion is decreasingly evident in Epcot in particular, adding back unifying features to Epcot and addressing the fact that some if it is really showing its age (World Showcase theatres, etc.). Families (and adults!) have a lot of nostalgia and enthusiasm for what is represented here. Maybe it's time for a night show or celebration or something new that people can get excited about again. ...something with more of an Olympics Opening Ceremony flavour.

* I think it is a mistake that there has only been one real instance of parks sharing their assets worldwide (bringing Soarin' and Lights Motor Cars Action, etc.). Wouldn't it be great to experience a Crush's coaster, a Journey Into the Earth, even a parade from Shanghai or Hong Kong or Paris or Tokyo? I guess it keeps us all travelling or aspiring to!

* I think it's been a mistake to have attractions in DLR and elsewhere not to be given more of their own twists or surprises. Sometimes it's quite evident WDW got the most basic version of the attraction, especially disappointing.

* I think mistakes and missed opportunities with Stitch are quite evident. I agree Pooh could have been something much more! I haven't been at the new Beauty and the Beast attraction or TS but people LOVE that story and music. This too, was a real opportunity, to WOW people.

* I think it's a mistake to keep Fantasmic and Illuminations going on so long without any new investments in story or innovation. We're now seeing so much (from World of Color, Castle Projections, waterscreen projections, effects) that these are starting to show their age.

Crowds keep coming and just want to escape and love some of their time. I think Disney needs to keep up. Sometimes it feels energy is going into commodifying good spots/access to certain aspects rather than adding new or listening to where some of the excitement is..... or could be.
    =) Travis

WDW, multiple visits. DLR, many years ago pre-DCA. Disneyland Paris, one amazing two-day visit. Up next: Disneyland Shanghai, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, and Disneyland Hong Kong!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I don't think they have a loss of vision, necessarily. I just think their vision is one of MASSIVE profits at the expense of all else.

They've been nibbling at both ends for years. Prices keep going up and up and up (more than a nibble's worth really) and offerings keep going down and down and down and down.

Why? Easy ... maximize profits. Total short-term, rampant profit taking which is unfortunately becoming the norm in the corporate world. Leadership teams fly in, do whatever they can too boost the margins, get filthy rich doing it, and then by the time anyone cares that they've run the company into the ground they're cashing in their options and moving on to do the same thing somewhere else.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't think they have a loss of vision, necessarily. I just think their vision is one of MASSIVE profits at the expense of all else.

They've been nibbling at both ends for years. Prices keep going up and up and up (more than a nibble's worth really) and offerings keep going down and down and down and down.

Why? Easy ... maximize profits. Total short-term, rampant profit taking which is unfortunately becoming the norm in the corporate world. Leadership teams fly in, do whatever they can too boost the margins, get filthy rich doing it, and then by the time anyone cares that they've run the company into the ground they're cashing in their options and moving on to do the same thing somewhere else.
    Ok, I have to agree with you here. I was really talking about artistic vision, but I guess greedily plundering a company can be seen as an art form. Sigh.......

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

How about this Catch 22... The mistakes that WDW corporate make are small really. Because of us, me included, we keep going back year after year after year after year. So we keep them profitable where they can use the profits to tinker. Back in 2001 when attendance was down the park was getting run down a little and improvements had to be made.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but Alien Encounter was put in place because Universal studios was the new guy in town at the time and Disney had all these "kiddie rides". Something for the teenagers maybe?

All told, with all of these mistakes that are mentioned in previous posts I'm still going back December 2013 and spend some of my money in the kingdom.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post

It's not that scary. Maybe for the little kids, but for adults not too much
    This adult hasn't ridden Dinosaur with her eyes open since the first time. My grown daughter feels the same way. Too many things jumping out at me.
    Just Jill.......

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel that getting rid of Timekeeper and Alien Encounter was a mistake...especially to replace it with cartoony stuff. I liked how Tomorrowland felt different from the other lands and had a cool science-fiction edge to it...to me, it's lost that entirely.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another mistake: getting rid of Four 4 a Dollar as the pre-show for B&tB. I would show up early just to catch the act up close. They really need to bring these guys back. There's even a facebook fan page to "Bring back Four 4 a Dollar" back to Disney World. I don't know if Disney watches that kind of stuff, but I signed on just in case.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with this--I could easily spend the entire day at Animal Kingdom. There are so many underrated things to do there that people overlook.

In broader terms, I would say that WDW's biggest mistake is how complicated the whole process is becoming to vacation there. Having just spent a week in the relative simplicity of Disneyland, it made me appreciate how relaxed a Disney can be, minus the dining reservations, itinerary planning and even minus the fastpasses. I think the true spirit of WDW is getting lost in its vastness.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I disagree with this--I could easily spend the entire day at Animal Kingdom. There are so many underrated things to do there that people overlook.

In broader terms, I would say that WDW's biggest mistake is how complicated the whole process is becoming to vacation there. Having just spent a week in the relative simplicity of Disneyland, it made me appreciate how relaxed a Disney can be, minus the dining reservations, itinerary planning and even minus the fastpasses. I think the true spirit of WDW is getting lost in its vastness.
    My wife would second your disagreement, but for me, personally, that is how I feel.

However, I whole-heartedly agree with your simplicity statement. I am looking at Disneyland for our next trip (as you know, we Texans can pretty much pick either coast) and I am amazed at the contrast. You can book a room literally across the street from the parks (Five minute walk) for less than a moderate WDW resort and you don't have to worry about ADR's or FP+ (actually there are fewer Fastpass attractions in general) and everything is right together so you have much less time walking or bussing to your next experience. The attractions stack up quite nicely to WDW, as well.... Advantage, Disneyland.

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

STITCH...that area would be a perfect place for a TRON-inspired attraction.
    SOARIN...since we're in Florida, Soarin over Cali really doesn't fit right. Should be Soarin over America and inlcude all the iconic American sights.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Spaceship Earth. They killed it with the new ending. I hate the computer screens. I hate the new dialogue. Argh. I wish they hadn't ripped the end to pieces.
    I'm fine with Judith Dench; she one of my favorites. For me, this is now a half ride. It's as if the Imagineers simply ran out of ideas, and so they just tossed in the computers. What a waste of a signature ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kemps@wdw View Post
    STITCH...that area would be a perfect place for a TRON-inspired attraction.
    SOARIN...since we're in Florida, Soarin over Cali really doesn't fit right. Should be Soarin over America and inlcude all the iconic American sights.
    Completely agree. Would love to see a Soaring over America. I also think the restaurant at the American Pavillion is a disgrace. What a great opportunity to showcase all the regional foods of this great country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Not really a mistake but nonetheless a disappointment. The Beavertails company decided to leave because it wasn't financially viable for what was then a very small Canadian based company.

Most of the mistakes mentioned in Epcot are very much sponsor based or lack of sponsor such ad WOL. In TT GM wanted to change it to a Chevy based attraction, Imagination gets changed because Kodak wanted updates and do on. The biggest mistake was getting so dependent on sponsors that they've let the sponsors control the Imagineering.
    Well said. The dependency on sponsorship truly has taken away from the way the attractions are developed.

Post Thanks / Like

Well any discussion of this topic has to start with the closing of Horizons. I understand the issues as Main Street Jim has so eloquently put them, but there had to be something that could have been done. This ride was iconic and really showed the imagination and the story of the future that Walt Disney himself was so interested in. I miss this attraction more than any other.

The SE refurb is a disaster. Jeremy Irons narration and the music were just so perfect and the last part of the ride where you just tilted back and took in the vastness of the experience was relaxing and thought-provoking at the same time. The present ending is ok the first time but doesn't hold up to repeated rides. I agree with the poster who said this was now half a ride.

I used to look forward to boat ride in Mexico on every trip. It was a relaxing way to get out of the sun and off your feet for a few minutes while enjoying the ride-especially the blue sky ceiling which was gorgeous under the lights. This was a ride that I never missed--now it's one that I can take or leave.

There's more, and I'll stop for now but want to say that there is way more right with WDW than wrong with it, and I look forward to going back on every trip.

Jeff
    Disney Vacation Club Member

The Beach Club
    Remember the Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

I really think that the whole bus transportation system would have horrified Walt. His vision was of monorails and of the latest technology and taking chances. I honestly think that he would be saddened to see that everything is connected by bus instead of monorails and boats. It makes me sad every time I look at the monorail gap in the Swan and Dolphin hotels and think of what should/could have been....
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Spaceship Earth people, it is a half ride. I also like Judy Dench but the last part is just lame. Bring back the song "Tomorrow's Child"! I still sing that around the house...
    șoș figgie șoș - Now living our dreams in sunny Florida close to the mouse!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: