Quantcast Transporting a scooter question/advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transporting a scooter question/advice

I have never dealt with a scooter before however my mom needs one for this trip so I am learning. I am renting a nice heavy duty one so that the battery lasts and she is comfortable.
    We are staying onsite however we want to go to Universal. My DM and DD are huge Harry Potter fans so we are going to see Harry's Castle
    I am renting a car for the trip and would like to transport the scooter for sure to Universal and probably to the parks rather than do the whole loading and unloading on the resort buses. So, my question is what type of vehicle to rent. I was going to rent a midsize SUV (i.e.Jeep Cherokee) however I am wonder if I need a mini van. I am not renting the kind of scooter that breaks down so my DD and I will be lifting it in and out of the vehicle....at least this is my plan.
    Is this feasible? SUV or mini van? (I really don't like mini vans at all but if it will work better I will do it)
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as you are not renting a scooter that can not be broke down, unless you have a vehicle made to transport that type of scooter, you won't be able to.
    What scooter did you rent and from where? If it is one of the ones that I am thinking of that doesn't break down, I don't think you are going to be lifting it. You will be probably lifting more than you are expecting. I have a scooter that can be broke down for transporting (Pride GO-Go Elite Traveler Plus) and it still weighs 115lbs fully assembled. Those that don't break down weigh more than that, some much more than that.

Maybe by giving us more info on what scooter you are renting, we can give you better information.

You would have to rent a wheelchair van in order to transport a scooter that doesn't break down. These are very expensive to rent and only those who really need these do. They are not rented from your regular car rental company. They are a specialty company.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

peemag,
    Thank you for responding and asking for clarification. I have not made the reservation yet however I was thinking I would rent the "Pride Victory 10 Super Deluxe Scooter" from Apple Scooter. I could rent the "Go-Go Elite Traveler Scooter" or any other suggestions? I just thought the Super Deluxe one looked more comfy and I want my DM to be comfy
    Thoughts?
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

With the Pride Victory, you are looking at a scooter that weighs 115lbs without the batteries. The batteries are ranging in weight between 38-52 lbs each and you have 2 of them.

I can assure you that even though the chair does not seem as comfy on the Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus, it really is. That is my personal scooter and it will last fine all day, and is comfortable. This scooter will break down easily into 4 or 5 pieces and the heaviest piece weighing about 40lbs. That would fit fine into a SUV and a mini van. Mine fits into the trunk of my Ford Fusion.

I don't know what your mother weighs, but if she is under 250lbs then the Elite Traveler Plus will do fine. If she is between 250 and 275 then go with the HD version of the same scooter. I use a 50lb under the weight limit to allow for any thing else she might end up carrying on the scooter with her. This makes it easier on the battery. The closer to the scooter weight limit the harder it is on the battery which could make it last a shorter time, but so can running it at the highest speed all the time or not shutting it off when sitting still like at shows or parades.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for your insight on this!!! This is exactly the information I needed.

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

My personal ECV is a Victory 10. I have never lifted it. My Expedition EL has a ECV lift that works with mine and with DWs Celebrity-X. We are both Extra large people.
    Either way, if I was in your shoes, I would opt for the mini van because you have more room to maneuver.
    BTW, the only disassembly I have done is removing the seat which is heavy in itself.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: