Quantcast Great Wolf Lodge

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Wolf Lodge

Yes? No?

Tell me about this place. I see a lot of mixed reviews online.

$300+ per night...looking to go for just one night (2 days of waterpark usage) at the Williamsburg, VA location.

Kids 8 and 6. LOVE water slides.

Should we go, or is it a waste of money?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have gone a couple times to the one in the Poconos. My boys were 10 and 7 the last time and we all loved it. It is pricey but considering you get 2 full days of water park usage it is worth it. Keep an eye out for special deals. Have fun!
    Sept 2003 All Star Movies
    Jan 2007 Pop Century
    Jan 2008 All Star Movies
    Jan 2009 All Star Music
    Aug 2012 Art of Amination/Carribean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

My boys love Great Wolf Lodge, and I actually had a great time too. We've only been to the Grapevine, TX location.

If the boys love slides, I think they'll be in heaven. I mean essentially, it's just a huge indoor water park, with slides of all levels as the highlight. Not sure when you are thinking of going, or if the Williamsburg location is the same, but the one in Texas has a huge outdoor pool area as well.

For 2 days of water park usage and your accomodations, I think $300 is worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Natalie,
    My kids love the place. As parents, DH and I can only take about a night or two of the place, but my kids could stay for a week. They are now 12 and 10, but have been to GWL at 8 and 6, 9 and 7, and twice last year at 12 and 10.

It is nice little chunk of money, but you have the water parks included in your stay. We have always stayed with a military discount. I believe the discount code you can enter online is HEROES.

My kids get a lot more out of it than just the water parks. They love playing the MagiQuest interactive game. Now that they are older we allow them to play without us constantly following them around. Your boys may still be too young to fully enjoy/get it. During our stay last summer my youngest's Magi name was featured on the room TV each night as one of the highest scorers of the day. He loved it. My kids enjoyed the arcade, but really they can do that anywhere. They also played a lazer maze game,and a 3D movie ride (simulator type attraction). When they were younger they enjoyed story time by the clock each night, and in the past they did a few of the activities in the kids club. My youngest also liked the build a bear type station a few years back.

The food is not the greatest, but completely doable for just a night or two. We usually eat onsite when at GWL because the kids don't want to leave. The two that we have visited had a buffet restaurant, a "sports bar" type place (think applebees), and a fast food/pizza window place. There was a window to get food in the water park, as well as an outdoor window at the outdoor section of the water park. So plenty of options, just nothing spectacular.

If your boys love water, and water slides, I think it would be a good fit for a little weekend trip. I can't imagine a kid not loving this place.

We actually have plans to return there this year for Thanksgiving weekend with my brother and his family, as well as DH's sister and her family. My kids are looking forward to that as much as they are looking forward to our Disney trip next week!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I meant to mention the Magiquest thing, and Denise reminded me. We've never done that, but saw tons of kids doing it. Maybe if you were there more than one night at a time, I could see taking part. Now my boys are a bit old for it.

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed a few times - with a large group of kids it is fun.

One time we had a group of 4 girls in middle school and they enjoyed it too.

We were attending dance or gymnastics competitions in the area when we were in Ohio.

Loved it during the winter
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

We are thinking of going the weekend of March 16-17, and staying just one Saturday night. My youngest will turn 7 on the 17th, so we thought this would be a nice way to spend his birthday weekend, since we don't do birthday parties for them (social issues).

Thanks for the information about the military discount, Denise! That's good to know.

Our kids are not really into that interactive type stuff and we would really probably spend ALL our time at the water park. They can't get enough of water stuff.

I think we are going to book it. We all are suffering from cabin fever and need a break from spending our weekends at home, getting on each other's nerves.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

Our kids are not really into that interactive type stuff and we would really probably spend ALL our time at the water park. They can't get enough of water stuff.

I think we are going to book it. We all are suffering from cabin fever and need a break from spending our weekends at home, getting on each other's nerves.
    Natalie,
    The game is extremely time consuming so it is really best to pass on anyway since you'll only be there one night. Plus its an added cost. There will be plenty to keep your boys busy just with the water park. I think it's a great place to spend a weekend to get out the house!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I think you guys will have fun! It's an easy drive down there too.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a music teacher and while I have never been there.....we play a"lets all go " game where kids have to pick a place they want to go and we imagine ways to go there.themost picked place is Disney....the second is great wolf lodge......sounds like a great endorsement to me.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to the GWL in PA many times and it is worth every penny. The rooms are a nice size with micro, frig and coffee maker. Some have fireplaces. Pools and slides are clean with plenty of life guards. Pool area is a wonderful warm temperature. You never have to leave the building. They have a nice buffet restaurant, bakery, Pizza Hut window and Starbucks. They also serve food in the waterpark and have a bar too. Arcade, games and story time for when the kids have enough of the waterpark. This is a great place....at least the PA location is.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rita! We are definitely going to do it. We showed the website to our oldest son, and he's already memorizing our route there using Google Maps (he LOVES Google Maps).

We are probably going to go in April, though. We thought about what would happen if we did something this awesome and tied it to our DS's birthday...it would be hard to do something equally as awesome for the other DS and we try to keep things as fair as possible between them.

Our kids have a random Monday off in mid April, so that will be a perfect weekend for this little getaway.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just repeat what others have already said. It is expensive but there is lots to do. You won't be bored and you won't need to leave the hotel. Waterpark, Magiquest, bowling, arcade, and I think some locations have mini-golf. The kids will have a blast.
    98 - All-Star Sports
    03 - All-Star Music
    04 - Offsite
    07 - Pop Century
    09 - All-Star Movies
    10 - All-Star Movies
    11 - Offsite
    12 - All-Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzup View Post
    I'll just repeat what others have already said. It is expensive but there is lots to do. You won't be bored and you won't need to leave the hotel. Waterpark, Magiquest, bowling, arcade, and I think some locations have mini-golf. The kids will have a blast.

Does the PA location have a bowling alley? They didn't when we were there
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Does the PA location have a bowling alley? They didn't when we were there
    Yes, its called Ten Paws Alley. The lanes are shorter, the balls are smaller, and of course, the price is bigger. I believe it was $5 per person, per game, when we were there.
    98 - All-Star Sports
    03 - All-Star Music
    04 - Offsite
    07 - Pop Century
    09 - All-Star Movies
    10 - All-Star Movies
    11 - Offsite
    12 - All-Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzup View Post
    Yes, its called Ten Paws Alley. The lanes are shorter, the balls are smaller, and of course, the price is bigger. I believe it was $5 per person, per game, when we were there.

Wow....that's great!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: