Quantcast Not sold on POR; can I vent?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not sold on POR; can I vent?

The past two times we were at Disney we stayed at WL which was fabulous. Now that we are a family of five, our options were slim. WL was out and so was the WL Villas unless we won the lottery. So we arrived at the POR yesterday. I paid for a Garden View but was informed at check in we had been downgraded. Yes they refunded me $78 but I am disappointed in my view.
    Then we had some luggage stored since our room was not ready and when we went to retrieve it they gave us the wrong luggage & it took time to find ours.
    Then we need to use the pull down bed as we are a family of five. We finally get to our room at Midnight last night to find there is no blanket for the bed so my son had to sleep with me & my 17 yr old daughter = crowded.
    And don't get me started on how jam packed the busses are!
    And this place is huge and confusing and quite a walk to the food court even though I have been informed our building is as close as you can get w/o paying for a preferred building.
    *sigh* sorry for the vent but at least I am at Disney so we can't help but have a wonderful time. Watching my kids having fun makes all of the above NOT important. We are having a blast; I just miss WL.

October 1990 (off WDW)
    September 2004 (WL)
    December 2006 (WL)
    February 2013 (POR)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We love POR- it's too bad that it hasn't won you over yet. Some highlights for us- seeing Yehaa Bob at the River Roost lounge. He is there Wed to Sun 8-11pm. He is wonderful- an old school piano man who plays family friendly songs and gets the whole place in a great mood! You can even take our refillable mug in (fill it up at Riverside Mill ) and you won't have to pay for drinks if you don't want to.

Riverside Mill is one of the best food courts that we've tried. The make your own salad or pasta station is great!

The boat to Downtown Disney is fun and takes you past Saratoga Springs Treehouse Villas.

Too bad that you were downgraded. I've never had that before, but then we always get the cheapest room as not having a balcony, you really don't really ever see a view anyway.

Buses are a pain. The only way around that is to go on off hours. We head to park after 9:30am and never have to wait. Coming home at closing is a long wait though. We tend to drag our heels and look in the shops or rock in the rockers (at MK) and leave for the bus about 30 min after closing. Otherwise, you will always be standing and waiting.

Try to cheer up and remember the mantra, "a bad day at Disney is still better than a great day at work." And try not to lament the loss of your WL - you'll end up back there someday!!!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Oh I forgot about Yehaa Bob! I read about him here. Thanks for the reminder! The boat ride to Downtown Disney sounds fun; that is in the plans for Wednesday. We did get the refillable mugs which are pretty great and you are right the Riverside food court is awesome. Okay my vent is over - THANK YOU - now on to enjoying the Happiest Place On Earth!

October 1990 (off WDW)
    September 2004 (WL)
    December 2006 (WL)
    February 2013 (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry things are off to a rough start. Personally I find downgrading you and simply issuing a credit unacceptable and not very magical. If they overbooked then they should be finding you accommodations that are equal or better than your booking. I would take the time to speak to a supervisor today and let them know how disappointed you are, it is their error and they can make this right.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of a downgrade either, and am really surprised that was their solution for what was apparently their mistake. I second Lynn's suggestion of speaking to someone today. Don't let another day pass.

I'm sorry you aren't loving POR. I feel in love with it again last summer and can't wait to get back. We were in the mansions section, and I'm assuming you are in the Bayou since you are sleeping 5. The refurbbed rooms looked great though. Glad you are having a magical vacation otherwise. Please....talk to someone today!

Post Thanks / Like

My friend was asked if she would accept a roll out in the Mansion instead of the pull down bed...they leaped at that offer...yes, they had to close every morning to get around in the room...but avoided staying at AB, which she didn't like, but needed the extra bed. Take a walk over to the FQ...it's a nice walk. And POR food court has the best options of all except for A of A.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Aw man, that is such a bummer. I'm sorry you aren't feeling the magic.

I would also recommend going back to front desk, but I HAVE heard of them "downgrading" people. It does happen. At least they were upfront about it and refunded you instead of sending you off to your room and not saying anything. Still, though, I understand the disappointment. If they are so booked that they had to downgrade you, though, you might not have much luck getting into another room, particularly since you have 5 in your family.

FYI, you should have called Housekeeping. They would have brought the extra blanket right away. I've had that happen before at a Disney resort and it was no problem.

FWIW, I love WL too, but my last stay there started off quite UN Magical. I had some room issues as well. They did get resolved, but it kind of soured my impression of the WL, knowing I could end up in one of those bad rooms again next time...

I also really like POR, but last time we stayed there, we were in an Alligator Bayou building that was practically in Epcot, so I hear you on the long walking over there. I wouldn't return unless I could book a Preferred Room in the future.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Sorry things are off to a rough start. Personally I find downgrading you and simply issuing a credit unacceptable and not very magical. If they overbooked then they should be finding you accommodations that are equal or better than your booking. I would take the time to speak to a supervisor today and let them know how disappointed you are, it is their error and they can make this right.
    I totally agree with this. I think it's worth a shot to try to get walked over to another resort that sleeps 5. However, seeing as how the main complaint is due to the view being downgraded (but nothing else), I have my doubts that they will be too sympathetic. Really, the difference between Garden and Standard view is really nothing major. It's not like they were downgraded from a preferred building to a non preferred.

Unfortunately, all resort reservations carry some language to the effect that a room reservation just gets you a ROOM on property...any room, not specifically the one you reserved. It's how Disney covers themselves. They can technically put you anywhere they want, and you have "agreed" to it already via acceptance of the room reservation terms and conditions.

This is where the resort management gets a chance to shine. OP, go talk to the Front Desk Manager. Kindly request alternate accommodations that will more closely meet your family's needs.

Good luck!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed POR but we were in the mansions - a Royal Room (wouldn't pay for that "upgrade" again but enjoyed it once). I agree that Bell Services there is somewhat slow, having dealt with them twice in our trip. The downgrade stinks! I think that should have been compensated with more than just a refund for the difference. Regardless of Disney's "language" in their booking system, you chose to reserve a particular room based on the view and pricing and it should have been available when you arrived. I thought that (and being able to charge more money)was the whole idea behind dividing up the many booking categories. I too loved WL much more then POR but we're likely headed off to a moderate in June as I just can't bring myself to pay for a deluxe no matter how much I would prefer to stay at one. I hope your trip is magical despite your resort issues!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious as to why the resort is so full they had to downgrade you, do you know? We watch the wait times on My Disney Experience and they are not bad at all, in fact it looks like the parks are empty.

We will be staying at POR on our next trip; DH and I were not to sure about the bussing..but DD must stay in a princess room at least once in her life....
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

For starters, I would have never accepted a downgrade. You have a reservation for a specific view. They either honor that reservation or upgrade you. You should have been assertive, voice your complaint, and demand an upgrade. If it was a package and I already paid for it, there would be a lot of arguing going on. Believe me, I am an extremely calm person, but get me out of that and you do not want to be in front of me.

The second issue is that you are a party of 5. Personally, I would go 2 Value rooms to double everything vs staying in a 1BR villa or a mod. Each person gets a bed to them self and you could bring an air mattress for the little one.

As for the buses, I find this completely subjective. In a resort with 2048 rooms, assuming 3 people per room, that is over 6000 people to move. If you leave when the pack leaves, you are going to be waiting and on crowded buses. For me, I get to a bus stop about 1:15 minutes or more before park opening. Usually no huge lines. It may be standing room only on the bus, but no big deal. We also won't leave a park after the fireworks just ended. That is 50k people going for the exit, 4000 people going to a bus that can hold 100 or so people.

The good thing about the bus system is that you do not need to use it. That is the best part. If you do not want to deal with it, there are always cabs out front of the resorts available and at the park exits. It is just a choice whether the frustration is worth ~$20.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    I'm curious as to why the resort is so full they had to downgrade you, do you know? We watch the wait times on My Disney Experience and they are not bad at all, in fact it looks like the parks are empty.

We will be staying at POR on our next trip; DH and I were not to sure about the bussing..but DD must stay in a princess room at least once in her life....
    My guess is that POR is usually at capacity because it is the only resort in the value/moderate price range that allows 5 people to a room. That has always been a problem with Disney, is that a family of 5 is so much more expensive than a family of 4. That is why I am always singing the praises of the Dolphin, because they offer deluxe resort accomodations with great proximity to the parks, at a moderate price. Our only other options as a family of 5 is to pay the big bucks at one of the deluxe resorts, pay big bucks for a suite at the values, or POR. In my opinion the Dolphin wins out everytime!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Totally agree! I wouldn't have accepted the downgrade. As for us, we stayed there one night in dec 2011 and the first room they tried to put us in was really dumpy and stuffy/moldy smelling so we told them we needed to move and so they put us in the newly renovated rooms which actually turned out to be great! Loveeeeee the food court and just sitting outside in the back where the boat takes off. It is very relaxing and peaceful. And yeehaa bob is a great way to spend an evening after a long day at the parks.
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I shouldn't have accepted the downgraded room. I'm not overly argumentative. I did state how disappointed I was but the lady checking us in could have cared less. She just said there was nothing they could do except refund the difference. We had a 6 a.m. flight; we were tired and wanted to get started with our vacation.
    And yes I could have called housekeeping right away about the missing blanket but it was Midnight by the time we saw our room and got ready for bed. I called in the morning and we got our blanket. Our Mousskeeping has been awesome -complete with towel animals!

October 1990 (off WDW)
    September 2004 (WL)
    December 2006 (WL)
    February 2013 (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Just go watch Bob Jackson and you'll forget about anything bad that's happened. Best entertainer at WDW.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger68 View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't have accepted the downgraded room. I'm not overly argumentative. I did state how disappointed I was but the lady checking us in could have cared less. She just said there was nothing they could do except refund the difference. We had a 6 a.m. flight; we were tired and wanted to get started with our vacation.
    And yes I could have called housekeeping right away about the missing blanket but it was Midnight by the time we saw our room and got ready for bed. I called in the morning and we got our blanket. Our Mousskeeping has been awesome -complete with towel animals!
    I understand. I usually don't like to argue/complain either. I'm glad things are going well. Sometimes, you do just need to vent, nothing wrong with that!

Take the $78 you were refunded and go do something fun with it! Rent a pontoon boat at the marina and drive your family to Downtown Disney or something. POR really is a beautiful resort if you give it a chance.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

A bad day at Disney still beats a good day a the office! POR is a bit spread out, but I've always loved the scenic walks there....
    Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
    Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
    Comfort Inn Lake Buena vista (2008)
    Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
    Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed our stay there in December, but then we were not downgraded. I am so sorry you have been disappointed.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

That stinks you were downgraded - they should have given you some type of upgrade if what you booked wasn't available.

We have not been disappointed in booking 2 value rooms to have the extra room. Used to stay at POR when it was Dixie Landings and first opened. Loved it. When our girls got older and my MIL was still coming with us, we switched to values for more room.

A couple of years ago we had to stay at POR ( we were with a performance group and they tell you where you have to stay) and for the price difference from the value it wasn't worth it for us. My youngest hated the pullout bed.

And I didn't like the food court as well as I had when it first opened. We weren't able to go to Boatwrights because it wasn't open the times we were at the resort to eat. I remember the food there being very good so was hoping to try it again.
    Hope the rest of your trip is great!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I completely understand the not wanting to make a fuss, but you should definitely let them know that you're not pleased. I do hope the vacation takes a turn for the better and you have a great time!

I also understand your feelings. We usually stay deluxe, but we won a trip in 2001 that had us staying at POR. I'm not complaining, it was a prize trip. But, it lacked the magic that we felt at our usual deluxe, too. The place was really spread out and the buses were a mess, overcrowded and slow to arrive. I can't say it was a huge disappointment, because we were happy to be at WDW and on a free trip (even though we extended our stay and spent some money on that). But, it wasn't what we were used to and we decided it was deluxe or nothing for us at that time.

I say at that time, because I recently stayed at POP, a value resort, and it was pretty decent for me. Great bus service, easy to get around. In the future, you might consider two rooms at Pop Century or springing for a deluxe like the Polynesian if you can make it work. I think in either case, you would be much happier. Best wishes with making the best of this one.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: