Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 23

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneygoofball View Post
    Okay, I'm just going to be honest - I'm looking for a little encouragement here. I'm kind of freaking out about the races next week. My training has been plagued with problems - two moves (one international), pulled calf muscle, two oral surgeries, a couple illnesses, etc... I worked through all that, but then had a surprise tooth extraction a week ago (doc said no running for a week, but I went for a light jog/walk new years eve day), and then woke up sick yesterday. As an added bonus, I've now developed plantar fascitis and my left knee is flaring up.

After all the planning and looking forward to the event, I'm afraid I'm going to fall apart during the races because I'm not fully prepared. Anyway, I know there's not much I can do about it now, just needed somewhere to vent. Thanks for listening.
    Look, don't freak out about this. Someone I know personally who is signed up for the Dopey lost 7 months of training this year due to injury and on Monday was in a head-on collision - he is ok, but has back and neck soreness, but again the tapering plan had to be adjusted and now he is just focusing on being well at the start and stressing and freaking out does nothing to help. Focus on staying hydrated, keeping your electrolytes and nutrition up, push vitamin c to get out of your funk. Do intervals (run/walk) during the event and listen to your body. LISTEN to your body. If you are seeing a doctor of sports medicine, seek their advice on how to determine what the signs are if something is not right.

Be encouraged- make sure you are taking in calories at regular intervals during the event.

Make sure you are stretching and rolling out your calves to keep them from knotting up.

How long was your longest training run? My chiropractor says if you can do 18, you can do 26. Treat the first three runs as easy, slow and steady training opportunities and do everything you can to save steps going into the full.

My chiropractor (also an Ironman) completed an the entire running portion (marathon) just by running to power poles, run to this one, walk to that one.

In the meantime, put on some tunes and get your spirits up - I have been coming up with some phrases (some are scripture) for when I am staring down the beast at mile 20....

"I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength." -
    "For Nothing is Impossible with God."
    "No Big Deal"
    "Ain't No Thing"
    "Piece of Cake"
    "You got this."

If I were you I would not do any training right now. Also, know that there are many who walk the entire marathon. It is doable to walk at a 16 min/mile pace. This may not be how you pictured yourself doing the marathon, but you may consider adjusting your goals. Right now, my only goal is to finish. That is a noble goal. If I don't finish, I started. Still a noble goal. If I don't get to start, well, I signed up and did what was in my power to train and I can feel good about that - so can you.

Also, I know you feel alone in what you are facing, but please know there are many out there who have had unexpected things sneak up and rob them of the training they were hoping for.

I don't know if this has been helpful at all, but show up with good spirits and attitude (those are things you can control) and realize that we all are in this together (runners and spectators) and take it one step, one event at a time.

Pulling for you!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Carrie, that was exactly what I needed right now! Thank you so much! Also, I'm writing down your phrases and plan to pull them out when things get tough. My longest run ended up being 18 (with a 9.5 miler the day before). And you're right, my goal is just to finish at this point. It kills me to walk, but I will do what I need to to get the Dopey medals! Thanks again for the encouragement!
    Beth aka Gretel - I blame the dolls.

Total trips: I've lost count!
    Resorts: POR, GF, Poly, CB, Pop
    Last trip - Jan 2014 Pop Century & POR; Dopey Challenge
    Next trip - Disneyland Aug, 2014 Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to wish all you runners (and walkers!) the best of luck in your events. You've all impressed me with your hard work and dedication and will be wonderful representatives of INTERCOT! Have fun and safe travels next week!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

A quick update. I've been doing my strength exercises and keeping up my cardio on the bike. My foot is about 90%. I did a 5 km walk on it and managed a 8:43 min / pace without too much trouble. So under the 10 min / km max pace. But the foot was a little stiff for a few days after.

I know I am undertrained for the challenge, but at this stage I am happy just to be taking part. I'm confident I can finish the 5k and 10 km. I'll see how far it get with the 1/2 and full. If I have to walk, that's ok. I'll be over the moon if I can finish what I have began.

So I fly out tomorrow morning. The bags are all packed. Looking forward to just having fun and soaking up the experience (and also to 9 days of park time after the marathon weekend)

Wish me luck!

I'll be sure to update on my progress.
    Michael șoș

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
    A quick update. I've been doing my strength exercises and keeping up my cardio on the bike. My foot is about 90%. I did a 5 km walk on it and managed a 8:43 min / pace without too much trouble. So under the 10 min / km max pace. But the foot was a little stiff for a few days after.

I know I am undertrained for the challenge, but at this stage I am happy just to be taking part. I'm confident I can finish the 5k and 10 km. I'll see how far it get with the 1/2 and full. If I have to walk, that's ok. I'll be over the moon if I can finish what I have began.

So I fly out tomorrow morning. The bags are all packed. Looking forward to just having fun and soaking up the experience (and also to 9 days of park time after the marathon weekend)

Wish me luck!

I'll be sure to update on my progress.
    Best of luck! I'm sure you'll be fine! I'll be there running the full. Can't wait!
    October 1982 Days Lodge
    February 1992 Holiday Inn
    October 2001 Clarion Maingate
    April 2003 Wilderness Lodge
    March 2006 Caribe Royale Resort
    September 2006 Pop Century
    January 2012 Windsor Hills
    January 2014 Santa Cruz (Off-site) Marathon Weekend / Marathon Participant!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know how many minutes there will be between each corral in the half and full marathon? I couldn't find it in the runner info.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is like the W&D this past November, it should be about 3 - 5 minutes depending on the size of the corral.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Minnie View Post
    Does anyone know how many minutes there will be between each corral in the half and full marathon? I couldn't find it in the runner info.
    So, last year they gave an insert to go with the guide that had the start times for each corral. For the marathon it was a 7 min delay between corrals. But that was last year, so take it for what it's worth.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    So, last year they gave an insert to go with the guide that had the start times for each corral. For the marathon it was a 7 min delay between corrals. But that was last year, so take it for what it's worth.

Yeah, it could quite possibly be different this year with the addition of new corrals and reduction in corral size.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the thoughts! I will look for the insert. I remember the 7 minutes from the half last year but was thinking, like Melanie, that with smaller corrals and so many more, they might have to space them closer together.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone! Just wanted to bump this up and see how everyone is doing 'post #runICOT'. I have to admit, the cold weather is kicking my butt and I look forward to it hitting at least the 30s again before I get back out and start walking. I have a grand plan though, so hopefully it will warm up soon.

I'd love to do the 10K next year at Marathon Weekend. We'll see!

So how it's going?

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to get back onto my schedule. The weather has been crazy here going from 30s to 70s which is making it hard to get into a pattern. I only ran once last week.

For the Royal 5K at the Princess weekend, I am working on pacing. I find my pace varies a lot so I am trying to work on completing a 5K at a steady but comfortable pace and then work on increasing it.

I'd like to do the 10K next year, but we'll see.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a nasty cold last week but that only cost me about four days. I'm back in for another full marathon (Melbourne) Feb 2nd and then the Ft. Lauderdale full marathon on Feb 16th. Recovery time is a little easier with after 26.2 miles in a racing wheelchair than it is after 26.2 of running so I'm not superman or anything like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I got sidelined with my usual post-travel upper respiratory infection when I got home from #runICOT weekend, so I just started getting back into my regular routine last week. I plan on doing at least 2 more half marathons, a ten miler, and some 5k races locally before the end of the year. I'm currently training for a half marathon in May on the dreaded treadmill thanks to all the negative temps, wind chill and snow in the northeast. But Saturday it's going to be a heatwave at a high of 39 degrees so I'm hoping to run my 4 miles outside! Keep up the great work, all!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to bump this up and see how everyone is doing 'post #runICOT'. I have to admit, the cold weather is kicking my butt and I look forward to it hitting at least the 30s again before I get back out and start walking. I have a grand plan though, so hopefully it will warm up soon.

So how it's going?
    I've run ONCE since the 1/2 marathon!!! My joints were SO achey for 2 straight weeks. I'm sure doing 4 full days/nights in the park (including race day) didn't help the recovery process. Tomorrow's my next scheduled run. 3 miles.
    Kristen

last attraction: Art Academy in DHS
    last meal: Parisian Breakfast - Chefs de France

'94 - Poly & CBR: first trip
    '96 - GF & Dixie Landings
    '98 - POR
    '07 - CSR
    '12 - POR
    '13 - CSR: HONEYMOON
    '13 - POP
    '13 - CBR

'14 - POR
    '14 - Swan

Post Thanks / Like

I have been, on average, running 2 miles 3x a week on the treadmill. Like Nikki said, it's been COLD here with nasty wind chills to run outside.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

So how it's going?
    I haven't done anything since the 5K on Castaway Cay right after the marathon weekend. stupid calf is still acting up so I think I'm gonna start all over again REAL slow and get myself ready for the 10K next marathon weekend. I think 11 months, knowing how it is, is plenty of time to get ready and hopefully be able to jog the whole thing. Another goal thanks to #runICOT.
    Was a great time with everyone and maybe next year, we can get even more peps there.
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    I have been, on average, running 2 miles 3x a week on the treadmill. Like Nikki said, it's been COLD here with nasty wind chills to run outside.
    Tracey it's going to be 37 on Saturday! Total heat wave! Way to go with your running, sounds like you'll hit 50 miles!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Tracey it's going to be 37 on Saturday! Total heat wave! Way to go with your running, sounds like you'll hit 50 miles!
    No 50 miles for me. I'm at 26 and plan on hitting 30 by tomorrow. But that FB group has kept me motivated to keep trying for 50!!
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first 1/2

I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon (Pittsburgh in May).

I'm behind on my training. Between 5 to 7 days a week at kickboxing and the weather its hard to run. I don't want to put out money for dreadmill training at a health club and the elliptical is so BORING.

Any suggestions?
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09