Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like everyone is doing very well!

Well, 3 weeks after my heel surgery and I'm back on the roads! It burns and throbs a bit but I'm fine and SO happy to be back out there!

Saturday is the Pig Run that I was so afraid of have to miss but looks like my foot can handle it. It's a 5K where you stop midway in the "pig pen" and eat donuts! Then you finish the last part of the race. I cannot wait!!!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Sounds like everyone is doing very well!

Well, 3 weeks after my heel surgery and I'm back on the roads! It burns and throbs a bit but I'm fine and SO happy to be back out there!

Saturday is the Pig Run that I was so afraid of have to miss but looks like my foot can handle it. It's a 5K where you stop midway in the "pig pen" and eat donuts! Then you finish the last part of the race. I cannot wait!!!
    Wow. That is great that you have recovered so quickly after surgery!

The Pig Run sounds like so much fun! I am in training right now and trying to lean up for the Austin Capital 10K - (It's Sunday the 7th)...I'd give just about anything for a donut right now.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Training - Week 5
    Ran a total of 20k this week (not all at once)!!
    • Tues – 5k
    • Thurs – 5k
    • Sat – 10k

Hit my first weather related ‘speed bump’ this week. Thursday morning was pouring with rain – in fact it had been raining most of the night. I decided I didn’t really want to go out and run in the wet if I didn’t have to as I’d only end up injuring myself. So I took my running gear to work and ran around the Fitzroy gardens during my lunch break (fortunately my workplace has a shower!)

Hit two significant milestones this week. The first - my run around the Fitzroy gardens ended up being my fastest 5k to date. Not sure if it was because it was later in the day, it was light outside or because there were other ‘more serious’ looking runners training in the park making me go a bit faster. It could also be that my training is paying off. Whatever the reason, I was stoked to run my first sub 30min 5K (time 29:33).

The second milestone came today, when I ran 10k for the first time in my training (I ran 10k once before years ago and it nearly killed me). Felt pretty strong today, but was ready to finish by the end. My legs were starting to get bit tired. Really pleased that I maintained the same pace for the 10K that I had for the 9k run I did last week. I think for runs longer than 10k I’m going to have to start thinking about fueling. Picked up some Gu Chomps this afternoon, so I’ll try them on my next 10K+ long run.

I’m quite amazed at what I have been able to achieve in the past 5 weeks of training. I’m an NOT a runner and certainly not athletic. This is all a big experiment. If you are reading this and even vaguely think you might be interested in doing a runDisney race, I say give it ago – you might surprise yourself!

I’m now toying with the idea of doing the Dopey (crazy I know!!). I’ll be doing the 5k with my Dad (probably more of a shuffle), and I can do the 10K pretty comfortably now. Still trying to talk Dad into doing the 10k– we’ll see. I plan to do the full marathon – so it occurred to me I only (only!!) need to do one more race to complete both the Goofy and Dopey challenges.

Look, I have no idea if it’s even possible to complete such a thing. Maybe I’m crazy to even think it given I have never even run a half or full marathon before. But my training is going well so far and I am enjoying the running. I’m sure the Dopey is going to sell out – so I might just sign up and see how I go. I can always ‘drop’ the half if I don’t think I can go the distance by January.

Trip planning.
    Think I have settled on Port Orleans Riverside for our accommodation. I found the resort really relaxing on our visit there in 2012. In the past I have been a big fan of the Value resorts (All Star Movies and Pop), but they can be a bit of a zoo, and I think the peacefulness of Riverside will help with race focus and recovery, particularly if I do eventually end up doing the Dopey.

Normally we do the Dining Plan, but for the marathon prep, I don’t think it would be a great idea both in terms of pre-race diet and the time and effort required to get around to my favourite Disney restaurants. I’m going to need early nights. At the moment my idea is to split the stay into two parts. Marathon week – no park tickets or dining plan. Post Marathon week – park tickets and dining!!! I think this will help me focus on the race, stay off my feet and watch the diet. I may change my mind – but these are my thoughts at the moment.

That’s about it for this week!!
    Michael ºoº

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Michael, a sub-30 5K is great! And congrats on the 10K! And Christine I'm glad to hear you're back in the game!!

DH and I are still plugging along. I'm having a little bit of trouble with my breathing lately. Luckily I have an appointment scheduled with my allergist this week, so I can discuss some management stuff with him. I am still hovering around the 13 min mile pace.

I've added the recumbent exercise bike to my non-running days and so far, it's great! It helped finally push me over a weight loss plateau and I'm enjoying it. I thought it would be a bit boring, but being able to pedal away and still have the ability to play around on my iPhone really makes the time fly by!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Way to go Michael, a sub-30 5K is great! And congrats on the 10K! And Christine I'm glad to hear you're back in the game!!

DH and I are still plugging along. I'm having a little bit of trouble with my breathing lately. Luckily I have an appointment scheduled with my allergist this week, so I can discuss some management stuff with him. I am still hovering around the 13 min mile pace.

I've added the recumbent exercise bike to my non-running days and so far, it's great! It helped finally push me over a weight loss plateau and I'm enjoying it. I thought it would be a bit boring, but being able to pedal away and still have the ability to play around on my iPhone really makes the time fly by!
    Yeah girl! Cross training is really helpful, I often forget to do it but it makes a noticeable difference.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

When I started keeping record of my journey to the WDW Marathon I didn’t think I’d have much to report – but lots has happened this week. Most significantly I officially signed up for the Dopey Challenge this!! I’ve put my money down and have my spot reserved for four races!!. I still don’t know if I will be able to do them all – it may all be too much for someone who has never done a race before, but we’ll see. I have at least one half and full marathon lined up between now and January, so that should help me know if it is even possible or if I should drop one of the races.

Training:
    Still did my three runs this week . The two weekday 5k runs were interesting. Mrs Mickeyd traveled to Singapore for work this week, so I was a single Dad and unable to do my usual morning runs. I managed to squeeze in my Tuesday run during my lunch hour at work. Another good run around the Firzroy gardens – it really is a nice place to run.

My second 5k run was on Thursday night after dinner. My Mum came to babysit for a bit. Another great run, I felt really strong and did a PR for the circuit around my house (lots of hills). However running after dinner and on a full stomach was a bit weird and there were a few times I thought I was going to see my dinner again.

This morning I completed my weekend long run – 11.5km. I was excited for this run for a number of reasons.
    1. It is most definitely my longest distance ever.
    2. I decided to test out the GU Chomps I bought last weekend after my energy levels dropped on me.
    3. This week my iFitness running belt arrived – so I had something to pop my GU Chomps in.

I have to admit I felt pretty crummy doing the 11.5k. It was 26C (79F) out, so I was trying to take it easy and took water with me. I think it may also have been partly psychological as I was breaking through the 10k barrier for the first time. The second half of the run was a hard slog. But to my surprise I ran my fastest 10K as well as maintaining the same pace for the 11.5km that I ran last week for the 10k. Given the heat conditions, I figure that is an improvement.

I should also comment on the Gu and the iFitness belt.

I had the Strawberry Gu Chomps and they were really yummy and easy to chew. I felt they did give me a boost and my legs felt better than the week before. I think they helped, particularly given the warm conditions and amount I was sweating.

I have the iFitness double pouch. It was fantasitic. It didn’t bounce and to be honest I forgot that I was wearing it for most of the run (except when I was reaching for the Chomps – then I was grateful it was there!). I’m really impressed with it and would recommend to others. It will be great to use it to carry a smaller camera when I run the Disney races.

Trip Planning
    So as mentioned, the most significant trip planning this week was signing up for the Dopey. I also signed Dad up for the 5k and 10k. It’s exciting and kind of a relief to have the registration all organised. I’m sure some of these races are going to sell out pretty quick. It looks like the 10K will fill fast.

So now the race is organised, I’m on to thinking about accommodation. Still leaning towards Port Orleans Riverside, and I emailed off to my Disney Travel Agent this week to get some prices.

That’s it for this week. Onward and upwards
    Michael ºoº

• Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, how's everyone doing???

The weather has been marginally better than last month so I've been getting outside running as much as possible. It's glorious

Anyone have other races coming up? I am running my very first official race ever next weekend on the 20th! And it's a Tough Mudder to boot. Then on the 28th I'm doing a Color Splash Run with is going to be so super fun!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Doing well here!

I ran the Austin Capitol 10K on Sunday - put up a personal record of 1 hour 5 min time (10:35 pace). That is super-great for me. Sorta bummed, though, we were hoping to be able use that time to improve our corral placement for the 2014 Disney Marathon , but since the pacing requirements have changed, we have to get times from a 10 mile or greater race.

SOOOOO, we are all signed up for the 10 for Texas 10 mile run in the Woodlands. It is October 12 (on a Saturday) - That is the next big run I am training for. It is capped at 2800 participants, so I am looking forward to a smaller race. My whole family (DH 44, DD 14 and DS 12) will be running as well, so it should be a lot of fun.

I am working on increasing my miles - after the 10K on Sunday I have run 3 more times this week - bringing my total miles for the week up to 19.2 and I am planning on adding another 2 tomorrow. My feet are getting sore, but that is to be expected...

Just keep swimming...er...running!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Last Saturday I broke the six mile mark, running 6.15 miles at an 11:26 pace. Not too bad. I'm on a recovery week right now and will pick it up again next week. I'm registered for the Loco Ladies run in Napa on May 25th, my first official race! I'm feeling over all really good about it.

Yesterday I DID NOT want to run. At all. But I forced myself onto the treadmill. It wasn't my best time, but at least I did it. I was proud of myself for making the effort, though.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the training is coming along. I must admit that I was considering skipping my run this evening, but after reading the most recent posts, I am going to make the effort! Now I just have to maintain my enthusiasm until my husband gets home to watch the children.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

I am learning to adjust to the weather. On Wednesday it reached 87 in our area. I was over my parents in Philly and ran down front street and back to hit 5k. I stayed in the shade as much as I could, but didn't hydrate enough beforehand and my head was hurting by the end. Still, I made it and would've come in with a sub 13min average if I wasn't afraid to run past the neighbor's Rottweiler who was off the leash and decided to accompany me for the last block. (She's friendly but as anyone with dogs knows, when you run they often think it's a game and can get over exuberant)... Wouldn't you know by walking that last block it pushed me into 13:01 avg! Ah well. I have come to love running outside.

Yesterday was my first day back on the treadmill due to the atrocious weather and it was awful!! I just couldn't get into a rhythm, I was getting bummed looking at the rain and wishing I could go out... I managed 2.1 miles before giving up. Went back later with DH and mostly walked another 1.75 miles at a high incline.

Hopefully the weather is nice tomorrow and I can give it my all outside again. It is now 2 weeks until our first official 5k!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Maryanne, I am impressed you were able to do any running or walking with an unleashed dog in such close proximity. The minute I see a dog who isn't leashed or within an invisible fence I go into panic mode and immediately turn around. I know this isn't the best response, but I have always had a fear.

It is hard to return to the treadmill after running outside. Hopefully, it won't be too long before we can run outside on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    My feet are getting sore, but that is to be expected...
    Hi Carrie,

Are your feet getting sore just at the very end of your runs? Does it go away quickly after you have complete a run?

Endurance workouts should not be painful.

My first thought is are your shoes getting old?

If not, soreness is usually a prelude to an injury due to over exertion.

Adequate rest is a very important component of endurance athletics and one of theses days I hope to learn it myself.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Bah, I re injured an old groin pull yesterday. Really painful to walk now so I'm off my feet for the rest of the week.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Bah, I re injured an old groin pull yesterday. Really painful to walk now so I'm off my feet for the rest of the week.
    Bummer. And...OUCH!

You'll be back running soon enough.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Training – Week 7

My first speed bump.

I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel this week after my great 11.5km run last Saturday. I was surprised when I felt really good on my Tuesday morning run. By about half way through I realised that I was doing so well that I could probably do a 5km PB. I pushed myself and ended up doing a PB. I was very proud of myself. 5km in 29:16min. My legs felt good – but about an hour after the run my knees became sore. They were sore the next day too. I wasn’t ready to call it an injury, but it was certainly sore.

This week was supposed to be a recovery week, and I think I pushed myself too far after my long Saturday run. By Thursday my knees were feeling a lot better, but my left knee was still a little tender. I decided to still do my Thursday training, but made sure it was a slow and easy affair. I was really careful not to land heavily and took special care on the hills. I ended up doing a decent 34:21 for the 5km.

My left knee remained tender on Thursday and Friday, but was showing signs that it was improving slowly. So today (Saturday) I decided to take things really easy and walk my 5km Sat run. I just got back and my knee is feeling pretty good. Also on the positive side, I was able to walk a bit faster than the 10min/km (16min/mile) pace limit. The next two days are rest days before my Tuesday run, so I am hoping that it will continue to improve so I can get back to running.
    The lesson of the week: stick to the training plan and take things easy. There are still 40 weeks until the marathon – plenty of time to build endurance and distance. No need to rush things. The biggest threat to my ability to complete this challenge is injury. So I need to be a bit smarter. This week really opened my eyes to the importance of avoiding injury. Hopefully this is just a minor setback and I’ll be back to normal soon.

It also reminded me that I still haven’t been properly fitted for running shoes – so the plan is to head out to a specialist running shoe store tomorrow.

Trip Planning
    Not much to report here, except to say that it wasn’t until after I registered for the Dopey Challenge that I found the Disney shirt sizing chart on the runDisney website. Looking at the chart the sizes seem to run a bit big, so I was able to email runDisney and they changed the size on my registration. Much easier than trying to swap sizes at the expo.

That’s all for this week. Hopefully by the next update I will have proper shoes and good knees!
    Michael ºoº

• Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Great job everyone this week. As for shoes, I can appreciate the need for a proper fitting pair of shoes. I'm in need of a new pair and my favorites are no longer available. Now I need to take the time to get fitted again.

Take care of the injuries and here's wishing all an injury-free week this week.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Nikki and Michael, I hope you are both back on the road and feeling better soon!

I started to feel some pain recently in my left leg from my calf down to my foot. It typically disappeared after the run was finished. I put those inserts I had bought for my old shoes back in, and I felt better. Then, when I went back on the treadmill, the inserts were killing me again! I found that odd- maybe I just don't need them on that lighter surface?

At any rate, I woke up today feeling so achey, when all I had done yesterday was a 45 min stint on the bike. I knew I wouldn't be up for running so DH and I took our dog on a nice walk around town. I ran runkeeper just to see what we would accomplish. We walked down to our town's Main Street and back, covering 2.97 miles in 58 mins (including a few stop and pets along the way ). It was a nice way to see some parts of the town that we had never noticed, and a beautiful day.

I felt worse physically after this walk, though, than any run. Probably because I didn't stretch enough. I know I need to get really serious about my stretching, especially since I've had sciatic problems in the back with my left side (where I've been having the pain).

Tomorrow has rain and sun in the forecast...but the temp is nice, so I'm hoping to be able to sneak an outside run in. If not, oh well, time to tough it out on that boring old treadmill Either way I will not be shirking on the stretching ANY MORE.

Asthma update- My doc gave me a trial of a different brand of inhaler to try, and put me back on singulair daily. I tried this before and it gave me headaches, so I am praying that this time around it doesn't. I also switched nasal sprays. Otherwise there isn't much else they can do, it's all up to my own ability to monitor my breathing and try to increase my lung capacity.

As far as trip planning, we are going to buy our tickets soon from the Official Ticket Center (iCot Sponsor!) and we are seriously considering staying at Swan/Dolphin. We had thought about Art of Animation for the price and because of how neat it looks, but with it being January, and most of the parks closing fairly early, we thought the Epcot resort area would be best for night options, and you really can't beat the discounts you can get at Swan/Dolphin. We did a few nights there before on my teacher's discount and loved the location. We missed a bit of that Disney flare, but there's plenty of it within walking distance. The final thing is nailing down the dates. My Sister-in-Law didn't get in for the 5K, and while I'd love to be there to cheer all of you on I just don't think it's realistic for our schedule to be there in time for that race. I think we are looking at a mid or late day Thursday arrival, and a late Sunday departure.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I have never run before (unless being chased), and I am morbidly obese. I am trying and working on it but my question is-I'm doin the 5K in Jan and is there any particular socks and shorts to be wearing for this? Any help and or infor would be greatly aprreciated. I WILL DO THIS!!! that is my goal and I WILL do it.
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yungbuck73 View Post
    Ok, I have never run before (unless being chased), and I am morbidly obese. I am trying and working on it but my question is-I'm doin the 5K in Jan and is there any particular socks and shorts to be wearing for this? Any help and or infor would be greatly aprreciated. I WILL DO THIS!!! that is my goal and I WILL do it.
    For socks, I highly recommend any kind of dri-fit. Target sells a brand, I think it's Champion? Nike has a brand as well, and there are more expensive brands at running stores. If you like an ankle sock, make sure it has some cushion at the heel. It keeps the sock from falling down and so far neither DH nor I have had any kind of calluses wearing these types of socks.

Definitely get fitted for a proper sneaker at a professional store such as fleet feet. Some of them even run training programs where you can get together with other novice runners, and they train you to a 5K. I would've done our local one but the timing doesn't work with my job. People of all shapes and sizes are welcomed. As for clothes, you want stuff that lets your skin breathe. My husband wears your typical style gym shorts and he wears boxer briefs that are a polyester/spandex blend. If you are going to be outside in the heat or even working up a sweat at the gym, you want to get some Body Glide to put on any areas of skin that could be prone to chafing.

My biggest tip is slow and steady wins the race. You have plenty of time to get ready and don't want to risk injury. Start by walking. Try running 10-15 seconds at a shot. Work your way up to 30 secs and so on. You may want to check in with your doctor just to let him/her know what you are up to, and get checked out. Every exercise workout tells you to do this, but hardly anybody does! They can have some really great advice. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: