Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yungbuck73 View Post
    Ok, I have never run before (unless being chased), and I am morbidly obese. I am trying and working on it but my question is-I'm doin the 5K in Jan and is there any particular socks and shorts to be wearing for this? Any help and or infor would be greatly aprreciated. I WILL DO THIS!!! that is my goal and I WILL do it.
    I agree that you want "dri fit" socks. However, you have to launder them VERY specifically. You cannot use fabric softener or any kind of bleach (even color safe). I have ruined several pairs of very expensive dri fit socks by using a dryer sheet in the dryer with them in there. Once you do that, they will no longer have the moisture wicking capabilities and will just be regular socks. So, be warned!

As for shorts, I would highly recommend you wear some compression style undergarments made of a moisture wicking material (Champion, UnderArmour, Jockey) and then wear the LIGHTEST weight shorts you can find. The best kind are that "swishy" nylon type material. This will prevent chafing.

As for how you might go about this...I highly recommend using Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk method. Just Google it and you will find a LOT of information on how to go about doing this. If you run with a smart phone, look for an app that will keep track of your intervals and notify you of when to switch. I use an Android app called "Run/Walk".

Couch to 5K is a good app as well, but it's a bit more aggressive than Galloway's method.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Bummer. And...OUCH!

You'll be back running soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Nikki and Michael, I hope you are both back on the road and feeling better soon!
    Thanks to you both! It feels so much better already after 2 days resting. Figures I'd get an injury as soon as the temps get nice out. hrumph.

Hope your migraines have gotten better Nat and you start to feel better too Maryanne!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    For socks, I highly recommend any kind of dri-fit. Target sells a brand, I think it's Champion? Nike has a brand as well, and there are more expensive brands at running stores. If you like an ankle sock, make sure it has some cushion at the heel. It keeps the sock from falling down and so far neither DH nor I have had any kind of calluses wearing these types of socks.

Definitely get fitted for a proper sneaker at a professional store such as fleet feet. Some of them even run training programs where you can get together with other novice runners, and they train you to a 5K. I would've done our local one but the timing doesn't work with my job. People of all shapes and sizes are welcomed. As for clothes, you want stuff that lets your skin breathe. My husband wears your typical style gym shorts and he wears boxer briefs that are a polyester/spandex blend. If you are going to be outside in the heat or even working up a sweat at the gym, you want to get some Body Glide to put on any areas of skin that could be prone to chafing.

My biggest tip is slow and steady wins the race. You have plenty of time to get ready and don't want to risk injury. Start by walking. Try running 10-15 seconds at a shot. Work your way up to 30 secs and so on. You may want to check in with your doctor just to let him/her know what you are up to, and get checked out. Every exercise workout tells you to do this, but hardly anybody does! They can have some really great advice. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
    Thanks so much for the info and support. Will have to look into all u recommended. Look forward to seeing everyone finish their races.
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post

Hope your migraines have gotten better Nat...!
    They have, thanks Nikki! I ran 5.25 miles on Sunday and NO headache!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the info and support. Will have to look into all u recommended. Look forward to seeing everyone finish their races.
    I also use the Champion brand socks. They are called DuoDry. And I can't say enough good things about my experience being fitted for proper running sneakers at Fleet Feet! It's made all the difference!

Stick with it Justin, we believe in you and I can't wait to celebrate your achievement in January!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah!!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the Champion brand socks. They are called DuoDry. And I can't say enough good things about my experience being fitted for proper running sneakers at Fleet Feet! It's made all the difference!

Stick with it Justin, we believe in you and I can't wait to celebrate your achievement in January!
    when I decided I was going to run on a regular basis, I went to a running shoe store. They placed me on a Treadmill and watched me run while recording it with a camera. They were able to deteine my stepping style and fit me with the proper shoe!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Great news!
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Great news!
    I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I did Run/Walk intervals this time. I did 15 intervals of 3 min running/1 min walking for a total of 60 min. My pace came in at just under 12 min mile which is fine by me, as it was fairly warm Sunday afternoon and I was feeling sluggish overall.

I'm going to continue doing Run/Walk because I think it helps stave off the headaches by not over exerting myself. We'll see how it goes.

I got the road bike out for a spin today for the first time this year. Felt great to have something else to change up my workouts. Glad for nice weather finally!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the info I have no idea where a store that does all that is but i will do some research.

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the info I have no idea where a store that does all that is but i will do some research.
    I've had good luck with putting "Running Store near (insert your town's name here)" into Google search. Any decent, dedicated running store will be able to analyze your gait and recommend the right shoes.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with putting "Running Store near (insert your town's name here)" into Google search. Any decent, dedicated running store will be able to analyze your gait and recommend the right shoes.
    thanks i reached out to a store that looks like it will take care of me.. gonna do all this after my trip to DL coming up next week. Everyone on here has been so supportive and I am so glad to call you all friends.

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Sooooo...I just registered for a certified half marathon (June 2) so that I can send in my proof of time for the Dopey Challenge. The description included the following, "Hilly and fairly challenging ...and features its only real flat stretches of any length for two miles during the entire race."

I had to sign up for this one since it's the only registered one that really fits my schedule. Anyone else having problems finding a convenient, and flat, race to use for their proof of time?
    Beth aka Gretel - I blame the dolls.

Total trips: I've lost count!
    Resorts: POR, GF, Poly, CB, Pop
    Last trip - Jan 2014 Pop Century & POR; Dopey Challenge
    Next trip - Disneyland Aug, 2014 Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneygoofball View Post
    Sooooo...I just registered for a certified half marathon (June 2) so that I can send in my proof of time for the Dopey Challenge. The description included the following, "Hilly and fairly challenging ...and features its only real flat stretches of any length for two miles during the entire race."

I had to sign up for this one since it's the only registered one that really fits my schedule. Anyone else having problems finding a convenient, and flat, race to use for their proof of time?
    We lucked out. We were able to find a 10 mile race (10 for Texas) at The Woodlands on October 12 (a Saturday Race). It's near Houston, so we are counting on a flat race course. It is a small run, too, capped at 2800 runners.

The new pacing requirements kind of mess up new runners like myself. The only long run that I had that would qualify was the Jan 2013 Disney Marathon, and my pace was not one that would help get me in a better corral.

Also, where we are it is getting warm - so there are not a lot of 10 mile or greater runs in our area. If it wasn't for the Nov 1 deadline, we could have gotten in on all the late Nov/Dec (cooler) runs.

We were all set with a 10K on April 7 to improve our corral placement, but it is not good for the Disney marathon like it was last year.

I know that in the end the new requirements will be beneficial to everyone, but this first year is going to be a stress for those of us who don't have a lot of races under our belts. A lot of running, yes, racing, no.

Good luck to you in June - stinks about the hilly course.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Also, where we are it is getting warm - so there are not a lot of 10 mile or greater runs in our area. If it wasn't for the Nov 1 deadline, we could have gotten in on all the late Nov/Dec (cooler) runs.
    Yeah, that Nov 1 deadline kind of threw me off, too. And there aren't a lot of certified races in my area during the summer that are long enough. Oh well, at least this will get me out of the last corral!
    Beth aka Gretel - I blame the dolls.

Total trips: I've lost count!
    Resorts: POR, GF, Poly, CB, Pop
    Last trip - Jan 2014 Pop Century & POR; Dopey Challenge
    Next trip - Disneyland Aug, 2014 Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

So, just checking in...

I had a great 5 mile run this morning. Not super fast or anything, not even trying to be, but what was cool about it was that it felt really good! It had been a long time (too long) since I felt so good during/after a run. (I think I have been trying to push to hard.)

That was the beginning of a 4 day stretch of doing 5 miles, then 3, then 5, then 3. So, we will see how well things are holding up come Sunday.

ACK!

Happy and healthy training to everybody!
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

So, just checking in...

I had a great 5 mile run this morning. Not super fast or anything, not even trying to be, but what was cool about it was that it felt really good! It had been a long time (too long) since I felt so good during/after a run. (I think I have been trying to push to hard.)

That was the beginning of a 4 day stretch of doing 5 miles, then 3, then 5, then 3. So, we will see how well things are holding up come Sunday.

ACK!

Happy and healthy training to everybody!
    Sounds like you're doing well Carrie, keep up the great work!

I haven't run this week at all but I did complete a tough mudder last Saturday and I am entered in another 5k this Sunday. So I guess I'm just taking the week off.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't run this week at all but I did complete a tough mudder last Saturday and I am entered in another 5k this Sunday. So I guess I'm just taking the week off.
    It is your recovery week!

What distance is the tough mudder?
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

It is your recovery week!

What distance is the tough mudder?
    I did a 5k distance. Some of them can be 10k or even 10 milers! It was a ton of fun though.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

So, just checking in...

I had a great 5 mile run this morning. Not super fast or anything, not even trying to be, but what was cool about it was that it felt really good!
    Carrie, I am so glad you had a run where you felt good. I ran five miles yesterday and had mixed emotions. My first thought was that I was somewhat pleased with my pace. My second thought was I can't believe I will have to do four more five mile sets plus a little more I guess that is where the training and the encouragement from this thread will come in.

BriarRose, congrats on the tough mudder.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: