Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 17

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Question about treadmill training- Do you think it's better to hit your goal distance with no incline first, or run on an incline and work up to the distance? Or is it just a matter of preference? I've been trying to do a minimal incline but I have to admit ticking off those 1/2 miles is what really keeps me pumped on the boring treadmill and the incline slows that down, obviously.
    I've been tread milling it for 2.5 months now for 1/2 of my workout sessions. The other 1/2 is outdoors. I can say TM running is way different.
    I'd say keep an incline to keep your endurance up. And I've added .30 to my 5K runs on the treadmill. So I'm actually running for 3.4miles. I do feel there is an error factor on the TM. I find it's consistent, least in running and DW's too, but the actual mileage is where I am concerned. YES I see the same miles and time per run – but it is not the same as the outdoor runs. Hope that makes sense. I’d be more worried if I saw inconsistent TM runs where my times fluctuated and the mileage did to for the same time frame of my runs.

Somewhere in JG's book he does mention to add 10% to your run for TM workouts. And personally I run and walk faster than what he wants when I switch his app too indoors/treadmill. BUT I also see that with my monitoring devices - Nike+ stuff that my time/pace is SLOWER on the TM vs. outdoors when I use the same equipment. AND I’m WAY WAY more tired after a TM workout vs. an outdoor workout. I think it’s due to being able to use the GPS on my Nike watch outdoors vs. the shoe pod only method on the TM far as actual data collections. AND I’m sure the physics and momentum of outdoor running makes us faster too vs. the TM. I've been in contact with Nike and they say none of their equipment is really approved for TM use. It is 10% accurate. Seems that's the out...+/- 10% accuracy. Again, I do see consistency in my TM runs – run after run. And I see FASTER GPS times and consistency in my runs – run after run outdoors as well – so I feel I’ve got a great bench point/mark.

Sorry to ramble. I run on the TM with a 7 incline to keep me working hard during my workouts. Is that extreme? Not sure...but I just want to make sure I don't lose my edge/conditioning while the weather is getting bad in PA and I have to use the TM 100% for my runs. Did I start at 7? NO it was 3 and I’ve worked up to 7 for the whole workout. Just as my speed has increased as well for both my interval runs and walk.

I would not make too many changes at once. When DW started and I did on the TM we were beating ourselves up with poor results and not feeling the fun of the run. Now we have made little tweaks - like adding some incline a little per week. Then next week we try and speed up our mph on the speed settings of the TM - while still keeping within our comfort zone/ability to not get injured. So far we are doing well. It's just a bit different indoors on the TM. I'm glad to see my outdoor runs have stayed the same if not improved a little during this same time frame too. That way I see I'm not losing ground in my conditioning - literally!

GOOD LUCK, hope some of this is helpful.

How about the rest of the runners? Any suggestions on TM running?
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    15 weeks of training left! (and you really can't count that last week, so it is really 14...YIKES!)

Hope everyone is doing well!
    Wow! It seems far away until I hear 14 weeks. My training is going all right, but I do find the long runs to be rather boring. A week or so ago I had to do a 15 mile run indoors around 1/8 mile track. Although I was able to maintain a reasonable pace, I found this tough on my sanity. Given that more darkness and winter weather are coming, I know I will need to run on the indoor track more often. Does anyone have any strategies to help with the monotony and constant turns?

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
    Just over two weeks ago we welcomed our second child into the world, Jacob. A healthy little boy and a very happy time for our family.
    Congratulations! I am glad to hear that everyone is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    My training is going so well I regret not signing up for the 1/2 in addition to the 5K. I'm just curious on how I'll do. Its my first timed/chipped event.

We have more Yinzers on here. Anyone else from Pittsburgh doing this run?
    I am not running this race, but I can't wait to hear about it. Good luck! I am also excited to hear your training is going well. Maybe you can aim for the Pittsburgh half?

Question about treadmill training- Do you think it's better to hit your goal distance with no incline first, or run on an incline and work up to the distance? Or is it just a matter of preference? I've been trying to do a minimal incline but I have to admit ticking off those 1/2 miles is what really keeps me pumped on the boring treadmill and the incline slows that down, obviously.
    I don't know the answer to this question, but I can share my experiences. Due to when I can run, I end up doing a lot of treadmill training. Usually I do little or no incline, because I feel my runs outside cover my hill training. When I ran the Disney half last year, I also found it wasn't very hilly. So, I usually go for distance training over the incline. However, I imagine there is likely a better balance

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Discouraged

I am finding it really hard to stay focused. I do really good for a week then feel the aches
    And pains and I slack off. I also , just like everyone else, have so much bs going on in my life between work, and a sick mother, and a wife with a severely damaged back.
    I know it's excuses and it's lame, but I am getting to the point that I don't think I will be able to do anymore than walk this 5K. I want to run but I just don't think it's gonna happen.
    Sorry to ramble and vent, just discouraged.
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yungbuck73 View Post
    I am finding it really hard to stay focused. I do really good for a week then feel the aches
    And pains and I slack off. I also , just like everyone else, have so much bs going on in my life between work, and a sick mother, and a wife with a severely damaged back.
    I know it's excuses and it's lame, but I am getting to the point that I don't think I will be able to do anymore than walk this 5K. I want to run but I just don't think it's gonna happen.
    Even if you end up walking it, it is still a great accomplishment. My goal is to run/walk but considering I've only been training for a but over a week, who knows what will happen. Don't stress. Your best is your best. That's all we can ask of ourselves. Well that and having a lot of fun together.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We are arriving this weekend and so bummed I didn't get into the Halloween Trail Run, totally sold out. I am looking into the App you guys are all talking about, the Jeff Galloway method. I'm downloading it to my phone now! I've been running for about a year on top of all my other activities, spinning, boot camps, lifting, etc...and I'd love to be a stronger runner. I will start his program when home from WDW the following week! I wish everyone luck with their training!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Also...having some trouble with app, I'm trying to change the pace/mile and then I hit save, and it's not changing it. Anyone else had this?
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

And pains and I slack off...but I am getting to the point that I don't think I will be able to do anymore than walk this 5K. I want to run but I just don't think it's gonna happen.
    Don't fret. Just getting out there is commitment! And you know you can run for :30sec and walk for 1min or whatever. Don't set your pace/routine too high and get discouraged. Just doing a 5K or whatever you have time for it far better than sitting on a couch watching HD!!!

Keep the faith! AND GOOD LUCK!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Also...having some trouble with app, I'm trying to change the pace/mile and then I hit save, and it's not changing it. Anyone else had this?
    There are a few flakes in the app. BUT you can get it to save. Try a reboot of the phone. And make sure your app is totally closed. I've run into that a few times when I've modified my pace. It will save. I just can't remember what solved it. There are also I think 2 places you can save your pace. I did it in my profile where I chose improve my 5K. I switch from treadmill to outdoors at times and it changes up my pace on its own. The directions are a little light...but the app does work.

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I got the app going to improve my 5K time, started it today! I like him talking to me, something different for sure! Gosh, I really wish I got into the trail run in WDW on Saturday. So bummed out that I didn't.
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
    Sorry to ramble.
    Not at all! I found all of that interesting and helpful.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holla!

I just got my #runICOT T shirts for DH and myself in the mail and you know what? By January that thing will be too big on me (55 lbs so far). So I'm going to order another one for running and keep this one for cheering (I can wear a long sleeve under it).

On a side note, I had the cortisone shots in my knees. Some improvement. But after 50+ burpees yesterday, I'm hurting.

Anyway, I'll be posting a pic of me wearing my new #runICOT shirt if the weather permits to this weekend's Mario Lemieux 6.6K. My FIRST over 5K race. Wish me luck.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

I
    Anyway, I'll be posting a pic of me wearing my new #runICOT shirt if the weather permits to this weekend's Mario Lemieux 6.6K. My FIRST over 5K race. Wish me luck.
    YAY! BEST OF LUCK
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Way to go. Good luck!!
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JMTStone;2379483

Anyway, I'll be posting a pic of me wearing my new #runICOT shirt if the weather permits to this weekend's Mario Lemieux 6.6K. My FIRST over 5K race. Wish me luck.[/QUOTE]

Good luck.
    I will be running/walking with DH in the Ithaca Glow Run tomorrow night. DH is not a runner but decided to do this with me as my running partner is hurt and I really wanted to do this. So I'm guessing there will a lot of walking; but it still will be fun.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Go Mel, go Mel!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    Good luck.
    I will be running/walking with DH in the Ithaca Glow Run tomorrow night. DH is not a runner but decided to do this with me as my running partner is hurt and I really wanted to do this. So I'm guessing there will a lot of walking; but it still will be fun.
    Tracey, I am so sorry but I will not be at the glow run tomorrow A conflict came up and I just won't be able to make it. I hope you have a great run/walk, you will have so much fun!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Mel, you are an INSPIRATION! Have a great run!!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glow run

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    Good luck.
    I would LOVE to do a glow run. I'm doing a 5K Color Run next weekend. I find the themed runs like the Dirty Girl and Color Runs are fun and an excuse to get out my Minnie ears and dress up while getting my runs in!

Have a lot of fun. Walking is MOVING too. I hope DH feels better soon.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Default Many thanks

YAY! BEST OF LUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Wow! Way to go. Good luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Go Mel, go Mel!
    Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Mel, you are an INSPIRATION! Have a great run!!
    Thank you very much. Its been hard work. Besides kickboxing 5 days a week, I've been using the Galloway method and listening to Christine on the Podcasts. So I had some pretty good coaches.
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck! Hopefully the Pirate fans will be out early to cheer. Will you get to see the duck?

Hang in there. I agree that training has its ups and downs, and, sometimes, it is hard to not let the downs and all the other life stuff take over. Running or walking, just getting out there is a big accomplishment.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: