Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for checking in and sharing your stories and tips. This is exactly what I was hoping for! Nat, I really appreciate the nutrition tips. I lost a lot of weight last year when I was seriously dieting, but not really exercising. Sadly I gained it back. I am not on a diet right now, but I have been eating "better," yet with all the running I'm doing, I thought I'd lose some weight. Your explanation makes sense for why I'm not.

Disoriented, I feel a lot like you! I have never been a runner, and just running a full 5k still seems daunting to me. As of last week I was still not able to run 20 mins without walk breaks. I had to take a few days off and when I did the training today, I ran the full 28 minutes the app asked me to (with 5 minute warmup and cool down walks) and did not need to stop once. I even forgot to take my inhaler before hand! I needed it when I got home but still being able to control my breath enough and push through the tiredness and discomfort gave me the hope I needed that I am building towards something. Now, I am way behind the C25k app pacing. They suggest that you run 2.75 miles in 28 minutes whereas I was only at 2.08; but as many of you mentioned I know I need to keep at my own appropriate pace.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am enjoying reading everyone's posts. I haven't started training yet. I really need to starts before it starts getting too hot down here.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working on my mental endurance along with the physical endurance. It's difficult for me to tell the difference between when I really need a walk/water break and when I think I need a break. I feel good, my legs are good, I'm not overtired but there's this mental thing I get that goes "this has been fun but I just want to stop now" and I don't know how to turn it off. I'm good at listening to my body when it needs a break, but ignoring the voice in my head is much more difficult. How do you get the focus to keep going? Right now I tend to max out at 4 miles and I need to get past this.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I am enjoying reading everyone's posts. I haven't started training yet. I really need to starts before it starts getting too hot down here.
    And I'm waiting until it gets a little warmer.

Nikki, do you listen to music or a podcast or something? Something you can really get into and not notice your time or distance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And I'm waiting until it gets a little warmer.

Nikki, do you listen to music or a podcast or something? Something you can really get into and not notice your time or distance?
    I think having the right playlist can make a big difference! I've been relying on Pandora because we had a major hard drive malfunction and haven't re-uploaded all of our music yet, but I'm going to need to rectify that soon. When I'm listening to good music the time goes by much more quickly.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been running on the treadmill at the gym, and the TV there helps a ton. I plug into the sound, and find a good show. The 40 mins of run/walking goes so much faster!

I have had some down time the last week or so and it's killing me. I fell about a week ago and tweaked my ankle. It got pretty swollen, so I have been icing, and elevating. It's slowly starting to feel better, but I know I can't run on it yet. I'm hitting the gym again tomorrow night, just taking baby steps to get back in gear. I'm thinking I will start my training program over again, just to get back into it without hurting myself!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Meg sorry about your injury, I hope you recover soon and don't lose too much of your training!

I do use my iPhone or the TV while running. I make sure to have a kick rear end playlist of all upbeat music that will make me run. I call it my "angry music" because it's a lot of Muse, Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace and the like. If I watch tv I make sure it's Food Network, lol. Watching Paula Dean fry things and cover them in chocolate seems to be a motivator!

Despite this, even if I'm into my music or what I'm watching I seem to reach a point where I just don't want to run anymore even though I know I can go further. Maybe I just need to start running outside (this weather needs to get better first though!) so I can vary my route and have lots of things to look at.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Meg sorry about your injury, I hope you recover soon and don't lose too much of your training!

I do use my iPhone or the TV while running. I make sure to have a kick rear end playlist of all upbeat music that will make me run. I call it my "angry music" because it's a lot of Muse, Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace and the like. If I watch tv I make sure it's Food Network, lol. Watching Paula Dean fry things and cover them in chocolate seems to be a motivator!

Despite this, even if I'm into my music or what I'm watching I seem to reach a point where I just don't want to run anymore even though I know I can go further. Maybe I just need to start running outside (this weather needs to get better first though!) so I can vary my route and have lots of things to look at.
    Thanks. It's set me back a bit, but not enough to cry about!

I'm with you on the outside running. I can't wait for that. There are some great trails near my house that I'm itching to get out on!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Nikki, throw a towel over the treadmill display. Set a comfortable pace. Then, set a timer on your phone for an hour. Don't peek! Don't stop runnning until the timer goes off. Add 5 minutes every week. This should get you increasing distance.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

There is never anything good on the TV at my apartment complex's small gym! I'm normally there during daytime hours when it's "slim pickins" to begin with, but they get really random channels! I think they might have an illegal hookup

I also try not to look at the treadmill info and focus on something else. I agree that running outside is more "fun." When the weather gets nicer I am planning to run around a park in Philly with my friend.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Nikki, throw a towel over the treadmill display. Set a comfortable pace. Then, set a timer on your phone for an hour. Don't peek! Don't stop runnning until the timer goes off. Add 5 minutes every week. This should get you increasing distance.
    That is fabulous advice! I try not to focus on the display but get so distracted. I should also stop setting break times like "at 2 miles I can take a break" because after I take that break I don't want to run again. Will try that on my run tonight.

It's going to be 53 and sunny(!) here on Sunday so I am really looking forward to my first outdoor run!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

That is fabulous advice! I try not to focus on the display but get so distracted. I should also stop setting break times like "at 2 miles I can take a break" because after I take that break I don't want to run again. Will try that on my run tonight.

It's going to be 53 and sunny(!) here on Sunday so I am really looking forward to my first outdoor run!
    Running outside is so much better than the treadmill, but it's HARDER, so don't be surprised if you struggle a bit the first few outdoor runs. You use different muscles when you actually have to propel yourself forward outdoors rather than maintaining your balance on a treadmill. What I do when I am trying to increase my distance outdoors is to set a timer for HALF the total time I want to run on my phone. I run until the timer goes off, and then I turn around and go back home. Every few days, I will add 5 more minutes to the timer.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and rather than stop and walk, just slow down. You can go down to 4mph and still be "jogging". Just don't go into that walking cadence...keep it like a shuffle, then just speed up again when you feel ready. This will make it feel like you are taking breaks, but you will never stop "running."
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working on my mental endurance along with the physical endurance. It's difficult for me to tell the difference between when I really need a walk/water break and when I think I need a break. I feel good, my legs are good, I'm not overtired but there's this mental thing I get that goes "this has been fun but I just want to stop now" and I don't know how to turn it off. I'm good at listening to my body when it needs a break, but ignoring the voice in my head is much more difficult. How do you get the focus to keep going? Right now I tend to max out at 4 miles and I need to get past this.

I'm having the same problem, but it's only really happening when I run NOT on a treadmill. Because of scheduling I tend to run twice a week on a treadmill at an elevation and then on the weekend go out and run outside. I know it's just a matter of me getting bored rather than anything else. For some reason in my head I have it that it's 'too hard' to slow the treadmill down so I just push through it. When I'm outside it's just too easy to stop. I know it's all in my head, and I'm sure that's the hardest obstacle to get around.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help everyone! Problem solved! I ran outside today and had the best one yet. I used the Runkeeper app since I don't have a running watch and I loved how it tracks distance and speed while listening to my own playlist and every five minutes I get a update. It took the monotony out of treadmill running and I shaved a minute off my pace. It was really nice running through my neighborhood while the sun was out. C'mon spring, you can do it!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

I can only run outside. Even when I'm on vacation- I will pass up the gym and run outside. A lot of it can be attributed to the fact I have the attention span of a gnat.

I'm so glad you had a great run, Nikki! Great job!!!

I had my foot surgery Thursday so I'm off my feet and out of training for a few weeks.
    I cannot tell you how depressed this has made me. So I'm really happy and it cheers me up to read about y'all training ! Run one for me!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing you an extremely speedy recovery Christine! You'll be burning rubber out there in no time!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help everyone! Problem solved! I ran outside today and had the best one yet.
    Congrats! I tried running outside the other day as well and had the opposite response! My complex has very uneven roads, so I think some of the uphill/downhill stuff was too challenging for me still, AND I had a bad reaction from my skin. I used to get it sometimes when I lived in Philly and walked in the heat. From some googling it appears to be from my capillaries opening up. It's an itching sensation but you can't relieve it because it's actually under the skin. On top of this I have eczema which has been flaring up. I haven't had this problem on the treadmill, so maybe I'm just not quite ready for the impact of running outside. (When I started the program I was going outside with my dog, but that was more walking than running. He does not like running on the leash. I tried taking him with me and he was constantly pulling in the other direction, so I was exerting more energy trying to control him as well).

I "graduated" C25K but my pace is too slow, so I am going back to week 6, running at a faster pace, and adding a slight incline. Then I'll try running outside again in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I had my foot surgery Thursday so I'm off my feet and out of training for a few weeks.
    I cannot tell you how depressed this has made me. So I'm really happy and it cheers me up to read about y'all training ! Run one for me!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Congratulations everyone on your training. Keep up the good work!

Christine, sending you well wishes for a speedy recovery.

My story:
    I'm relatively new to running (only started summer 2011 to do the 2012 WDW half before turning 50). I have never been athletic and not at my ideal weight. I never really considered being a runner but I read about runDisney and yearned to run through the castle. I was lucky to find Jeff Galloway's program that allows me to run injury-free. (So far so good!) His run-walk-run method was perfect for me while I was "learning" how to run. I started his program without any running experience and settled into a 30/30 ratio (alternating 30 secs run and 30 secs walk) while working up to a 14 mile long run. This ratio gave me about a 14 minute pace. I am now able to alter my ratio (by increasing the time running) depending on the pace I want to achieve. The greatest ratio I've attempted to date is an alternating 3 minute running followed by 1 min walking but I'm not able to keep this pace up on the long runs yet. I'm still a novice runner and the walk breaks are really important for my endurance and recovery. I was really nervous about the heat and humidity during the recent Princess half (I was advised to slow down in temps over 60 degrees) having done my training for it in the colder winter temps. I decided to set my timer to 30/30 (figuring I could maintain a 14 min pace) and it got me through the race ahead of the sweepers and no injuries! I even had enough energy left for a full day in the parks! Thank you Mr. Galloway!
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Boy am I happy I started this thread! So much great info. As I mentioned earlier, I had been doing great with the C25K program, but I just couldn't maintain a quick pace for long durations and was getting pretty spent before I even reached 2.5 miles.

I wanted to try interval training after reading badkitty's post (thanks!) and now I'm a convert. I downloaded the Runkeeper app mentioned by Nikki (again, thanks!) and headed outside because I find it much easier to do the intervals outside as opposed to the treadmill, and, I wanted to challenge myself since it was such a disaster last time I ran outside. Well, through some snow and sleet, I covered 3.12 miles in 44 minutes, averaging a 14:24 mile. It was a sluggish morning and I had to fight through the first mile, but by the end I had so much more energy! Can't wait to get back out there and keep improving.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: