Quantcast Your Hometown

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Hometown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your Hometown

Here's one I don't think we have ever done before....And this is not for people who live in big cities like NY, Philly, Chicago, LA, San Fran, just small towns....

Has your home town ever been mentioned in a fictional movie, TV show or book (No documentaries or reality shows).

Last night I watched "Eddie and the Cruisers" for the 100th time. I love that movie.

The first time I saw it was in the movie theater. I had no idea what the movie was about but it looked interesting. Me and my friends were sitting there watching the movie then all of the sudden Tom Berenger's character says..."I'm a teacher in Vine Land". The whole theater was howling, screaming and laughing. I think we were all in shock plus the fact the way he pronounced it (should be Vineland).

Later in the film they also showed a recreated historic place in Vineland called the "House of Depression"...they called it a junk yard in the movie.

There were other Vineland shots in the movie along with a bridge that leads to the shore we always travel and of course the Ocean City beach.

So does anyone else have a story?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not my hometown, but where I currently live (on 30A in the Florida Panhandle) is where the Truman Show was filmed. The whole town is prominently featured and all of the buildings seen in the movie are still there and used.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Most of league of their own was filmed in my hometown of evansville indiana. And the outside of a house near my high school was used for the outside shot of roseane's house in her sitcom. Not sure if they mentioned it by name.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm not from a "town", so not that I'm aware of. But, the closest town (really borough) is Princeton. So, yes, many times.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from the Shore (Film festival flick..) was filmed in my hometown of Lavallette NJ. You actually see the house I grew up in at one point.

Its also been in a lot of documentaries on Hurricane Sandy since we were pretty devastated by the storm.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

If you count Nashville (the closest big city to us), then yes, several times. If you count that I actually live about 20 miles west of Nashville in a community (not a town), then no (at least that I know of). Our biggest claim to fame is that Road Rules filmed at our fairgrounds once.

We got married in the big field at the camp where Ernest Goes to Camp was filmed. It's close to us, but not actually in our hometown.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Nashville is pretty well known.

It's cool so many films were filmed in smaller towns, but I guess what I am really asking is..... has your small town ever been mentioned by name in a movie. Documentaries and reality shows don't count.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

According to iMDb, Louisville, KY has been mentioned in 31 productions. Some of the more famous are Stripes (They drive the wrong way on the bridge heading to Fort Knox.) The Great Gatsby, Ali, and The Insider.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

My husband grew up in Medfield, MA. Medfield College (which does not really exist) was used as the setting for several Disney films and is named after the real Medfield. (or so my husband and Wikapedia tell me. )
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Scarsdale NY shows up more on TV but it's been a few movies.

1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Not my hometown, but my birthplace.
    The movie "One Last Thing" was based in the town I grew up in, Marcus Hook, PA.
    They filmed some of it there.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Final destination 4: stony Brook NY mental hospital..........we don't have one....but it was funny that they picked us.....or was it......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    Not my hometown, but my birthplace.
    The movie "One Last Thing" was based in the town I grew up in, Marcus Hook, PA.
    They filmed some of it there.

This is what I am talking about. Smaller towns that other than people who live nearby have never heard of, but were mentioned in movies.

BTW my grandmother was from marcus hook
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    My husband grew up in Medfield, MA. Medfield College (which does not really exist) was used as the setting for several Disney films and is named after the real Medfield. (or so my husband and Wikapedia tell me. )

Which movies and was there a reason it has been used so many of the Disney movies?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post

BTW my grandmother was from marcus hook
    Small world.
    Hook was a great little town to grow up in. My parents moved out about 5 years ago after living there for nearly 40 years. It started to go downhill.

Do you know what part of Hook she lived in? Even though it was a small town, there were distinct little sections like where I grew up called Viscose Village.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    Small world.
    Hook was a great little town to grow up in. My parents moved out about 5 years ago after living there for nearly 40 years. It started to go downhill.

Do you know what part of Hook she lived in? Even though it was a small town, there were distinct little sections like where I grew up called Viscose Village.

No I don't...She passed away a long time ago, but I will ask my aunt. I also worked for Trico years ago and they have a branch in MH, so I know a few people from that area.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Which movies and was there a reason it has been used so many of the Disney movies?
    The Absent Minded Professor, Son of Flubber, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, Now You See Him, Now You Don't, The Strongest Man in the World and Flubber were all at Medfield College. The Shaggy D.A. was also set in a town named Medfield. A lot of them starred Kurt Russell.

Apparently Walt Disney had a friend who owed a farm in Medfield and he used to fly out and visit him there. It is also the only official town with the name of Medfield.

The town name is listed on the train schedule at the Magic Kingdom. More recently the closed Medfield State Hospital was used to film The Box and Shutter Island.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

The only movie that comes to mind from your original intended question is Bull Durham. They mention a couple of times (and also show, I think) the Dirham Bulls playing Winston-Salem (my hometown).

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Hagerstown, MD and I know right off hand that it was mentioned on NCIS but don't know of any movies.
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

All very interesting! Cindy I loved learning about the back story to the use of Medfield!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: