Quantcast Hong Kong Day 2 (Apr 13)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hong Kong Day 2 (Apr 13)

Return to Day 1

The alarm was set for 08:00 but we were awake an hour earlier. That didn't mean that we got up then! It was more the case of "It's only that time!" We finally surfaced, worked out the shower controls and headed to the club lounge for breakfast. Various juices, western & eastern savories and pastries. We were all set for the day ahead.

We started to walk north along Nathan Road, towards the Temple Market. This was a recon walk because it is a night time market. We were accosted by several pedlars selling "high quality" watches, bags and designer clothes. From there we headed to the Tin Hau Temple whose notices said flash-free photography was allowed but another notice inside said no photography. Inside the breeze from the large industrial extractor fans could not remove the cloud of incense. Once outside we risked the public restrooms. A notice said that they were cleaned every 2 hours, but the smell said that the clock stopped several years ago. OMG the smell was so bad that I walked in, just about contained the heaving before getting out. I lost the urge to go!

Where to next? Time to tackle the MTR. We wandered a bit further north on Nathan Road to the Yau Ma Tei station. Inside, wow! Clean, bright, spacious and well signed. Just had to pass the Octopus card on the entry and exit turnstiles and the display showed your remaining balance. We took a Tsuen Wan line train south to Central on Hong Kong Island and ventured along the elevated walkways to Central Pier where we got the ferry back to Tsim Sha Tsui. These Star Ferries entered service in 1959. The two desks have separate gangways. The upper deck is enclosed with air conditioning.

We wandered back along the Avenue of the Stars, passing the TV and media setting up for film award red carpet event. The afternoon was spent by the pool and infinity spa. Our photos make it look like we're swimming in the middle of Victoria Harbour even though we're on the third floor of the hotel. Whilst by the pool, a helicopter flew over to land on the roof of the Peninsular Hotel, opposite, and the safety railings raised. Now that's how to arrive in style.

We left the pool and got changed before having high tea in the club lounge. We then left to explore the night time markets in the Mong Kok area of Kowloon. The Ladies Market is ideal for cheap clothing and in Temple St. there was everything from Fortune Tellers to <censored by author>

We returned to the hotel just after 22:00 and I had a strange request for the concierge. An ice bucket. The heat had made my fingers swell and both my signet ring and wedding ring were cutting into my fingers. It was a first in the list of requests that the concierge had been asked.
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great second day! Sounds like a relaxing time. Nice photos. I can't wait for day 3.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

What an interesting trip!

I did get a small chuckle, the transit cars look just like the new ones in Toronto.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the MTR being very clean and bright as well. They must do great upkeep on them!

Ah, the Ladies Market. Yes, that was an interesting evening for us as well.

Our hotel in HK had a rooftop pool. Have to say, one of the coolest hotel pool experiences we've ever had. Great views!

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds sooo awesome! I remember my brother telling me about the lovely public restrooms in Hong Kong. Glad you got out of their quick!!! Lol
    The hotel sounds so cool! How funny they never had anyone ask for an ice bucket before. I chuckled at that.
    Can't wait to read more!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: