Quantcast 1st Time as a Dad - What to do with 16 month olds?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Time as a Dad - What to do with 16 month olds?

I've been to WDW over forty times in my 38 years. I used to go every year but as life has gotten in the way, it seems to be every three now...

In any case, we're having a huge family outing to WDW the second and third week of August. I wanted to go for F&W, but my Bro-In-Law is a teacher, so that was out.

We know it'll be hot and sticky, and my twin boys will likely not be into to much, but what can they do? I'm trying to look at this visit through new eyes, and not what I can do.

Any tips on keeping them calm, cool and collected for most of the day? We'll be bringing umbrella strollers for each of them, and know there will be times when we just have to find a quiet corner and let them do their own thing (Dole Whip time, methinks).
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You may want to pick up misting fans at Wal-Mart or somewhere similar before your trip. They're under $5 but sell for $25 or so at the park. Also, let them play in the splash zones, what 16 month old boy doesn't enjoy a good puddle. Just remember to throw a pair of pool shoes in your bag so their shoes stay dry.

They'll actually be able to go on many of the rides that don't have height restrictions. You'll get a better feel of where they're at come August but if they don't like the dark you may skip Haunted Mansion and the like.

If they become tired or overheated, take a break; maybe some pool time and a nap. Don't push them pass their limits and you will all have a much more enjoyable trip.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I would say do the parks closer to the evening. (Less sun) Let all the early birds get in and out. Parks are open later in the summer so take your time. Just play it by ear this is going to be fun for them and whatever you get in make it the best. I would suggest buying clip on fans for the strollers. I think they have then at local drug stores. I used them with my kids and it helped a lot. Especially when they are sleeping (nice and cool) Also since it gets really humid. I would freeze some apple juice (or whatever they like) and have it in a lunch type bag to throw under the strollers also snacks they like. If a meltdown occurs just remember they are small and it can be very over whelming to them to be in the strollers with tons of people coming at them. Oh yeah and if you can I would get the strollers that recline. Poor kids I see them all the time with their head slumped over looks uncomfortable. For the adults they have this really cool towel thing at Bass pro. That you freeze and it stays cool a long time. I would grab a few of them for whomever in the group gets really hot. Hmm I think I’m going to get a few for us too. For July. All and all just remember there is plenty to do with them just take your time and enjoy seeing it through their eyes.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

We took DS when he was about that age and we did most of the kid rides in MK. Small world his absolute favorite. He also loved meeting the characters and watching the parades.

I definitely recommend going back to the hotel in the afternoon for some rest. DS couldn't/wouldn't take a nap because he was so excited. At least we had some down time.

We stayed at AB and he just loved watching the bunnies in the morning when we would go to the food court. That was as exciting as any ride.

My best advice, take it slow and just follow the lead of your children. If there is a meltdown let it happen and move on.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    ... I'm trying to look at this visit through new eyes, and not what I can do.
    That's the best perspective -- any other will leave you frustrated. The most important thing to remember with two toddlers is to stay flexible. Build breaks into every day, but even if you didn't have a break planned and it feels right to leave the parks to give the little tykes a break, leave. Get park hopper tickets to give yourself more flexibility.

I would definitely bring a double stroller from home with reclining seats and a canopy. Have a little snack pouch or small bag packed with snacks and drinks for both of them that they can hold themselves. When my older kids were 3 and 1, they each had a tiny backpack (about the size of a lunch pouch) that they carried themselves. A water bottle for each is essential, and remind them to drink from it, even if it doesn't seem like they're thirsty.

August will be hot, hot, hot! Bring or buy baseball caps or floppy hats that they'll have to wear in the summer sun. When it gets hot, you can douse the hats in water from drinking fountains and it will help cool them off. Don't forget to use sunblock on them liberally, several times a day. A bad sunburn can ruin several days of a trip, and little people burn easily in the Florida sun.

Check out where the family centers are for each park. All the bathrooms have changing areas, but the family centers are comfortable places to change the kids and regroup.

As for touring, my advice is to get there first thing in the morning if you want to do the rides like Dumbo, Pooh and Peter Pan. The lines will be shortest at this time. Also, in the MK, take some time out to raft over to Tom Sawyer's Island to let the kids have a little free-range physical play time and stretch their legs.

Bring a change of clothes if you're visiting Epcot or Downtown Disney with the "dancing fountains" in the ground. The kids love to play in these, and then you won't have to worry about going anywhere afterwards in wet clothes (unless it's so hot that they dry instantly ).

If you have the attitude that you're going to go at their pace, you will be fine. It's when parents push little ones past their normal endurance levels that everyone is unhappy.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been with my boys many times and still love it

I agree with a PP, get a misting fan. It was a lifesaver with DS1 mid afternoon. Remember hats and LOTS of babywipes to help keep them cool. Buy some of those puree pouches in the baby food section and stick them in the freezer. By mid afternoon, they will be an awesome slushie treat.

Mostly certainly, use the baby centers. Not only change diapers there but it's a cool place to let them walk around safely.

If you kids still enjoy it, I would wear them. My DS2 is 25 months and still loves when his daddy put him on his back. Just a different view from the stroller all day long.
    I really feel like if the parent is calm and collected then so are the kids. If you go with the attitude that you won't get to do EVERYthing, it will go well.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Our DD will be 17 months when we take her in Oct. I am already programming everyone that we will slow down and go babies speed. No hurry,she won't remember, let's just have good memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on our own personal experiences:

Stroller is a must. Preferably your own, or a non-Disney rental, so that you can use it outside of the parks as well.
    They need to be able to nap whenever they wish. What you do while they nap, if in the stroller, is up to the adults to negotiate. Chances are the kid(s) will be wiped out for a bit and would sleep through stores, meals, whatever.
    We had a lot of fun with all of the no-height-restriction attractions and there are enough of those to keep you busy. Parades/fireworks are the most fun with little ones as well. They love the lights and music.
    If they already know particular characters from exposure to Disney movies/cartoons, taking in a character meet/greet with some could be a blast as well. Maybe not so much if they have no idea who the character is, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to our last trip, my wife bought our 2 boys (ages 4.5 and 1 at the time) snack carriers. They had handles on the sides and a cover that is soft plastic. The boys were able to put their hand in and pull out a snack, but the cover keeps the stuff inside. We brought a mix of baby goldfish, teddy grahams, cheez-its, etc and filled them up each time we were back at our hotel room. They were awesome to have just to help keep them both, mostly our 1-yr old, content.

I would also echo what others have been saying. Go at their pace, read their queues and don't try to do too much. Go back to the hotel each day for a nap, pool time, or just to let them tear around in the hotel room and wear off their energy. Characters can be tricky at that age, we've had mixed experiences with both our boys and whether they are scared or not of them.

Most of all, enjoy it. It is amazing to see WDW through your childrens eyes.
    Off-Site - 86, 90, 94, 99, 01, 03, Jan 04, Jul 04, May 05, Dec 05
    96 Polynesian
    May 04, Nov 10 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 04, Apr 05, Jan 06, May 09, Oct 15 Coronado Springs
    Dec 04, Dec 13 Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct 05, Nov 07 Caribbean Beach
    Oct 12 Bay Lake Towers

Next trip - ??

Post Thanks / Like

Much good advice in this thread! Wonderful times ahead for you and your babies! I would also get the clip on stroller fans to keep the air coming to them. Consider the material of the stroller and see if a cover would make it cooler? And my constant pet peeve---cover/sunscreen the little feet and arms sticking out! Take any chance you can to let them get out and run around a bit. Have fun!!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

And you probably already know this, but I just reread and saw you're going with a "huge" group...Time together is great, but it is not realistic to stick with a big group the whole time. Hard to agree on itinerary and impossible to please everybody. I would set up a few things to meet up and do, but leave a lot of freedom to do what works best for your little family.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

My youngest was that little the first time we went. It was actually really easy! He napped in the stroller when ever he wanted. He slept in my arms in the dark rides. He was less bothered by lines and heat than the rest of us! It was funny how he ignored parades and fireworks, but loved puddles! I recall being unable to leave Epcot after a long day. We were all exhausted, but he had napped on and off all day and was energized after dozing through illuminations. He noticed the lit up sparkles in the pavement as we were exiting Epcot and could not be pried away from this amazing spectacle! Be prepared to see things in a whole new way! On a practical note I totally agree with arriving at parks at opening and not trying to stick with the whole group. If you are flexible with him normally your trip will be easy. If you normally have rigid schedules for things you may want to try to replicate some of that. Hope you have a wonderful time! I miss seeing WDW through those innocent eyes!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with previous post and want to add that you must take advantage of the baby care centers just to relax in air conditioning. Take their shoes off, let them run around and cool down in there . There is usually a child size table with movies playing. Mine also loved the splash zones, and Cosmic Rays has a huge open sitting area where you can grab a table and let them stretch their legs dancing to Sonny Eclipse. Enjoy the small moments through their eyes... Those are still some of my favorite memories
    How do you do? Mighty pleasant greetin'. How do you do? Say it when you're meetin'. How do you do? With everyone repeatin'. Pretty good sure as you're born.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you staying at a resort on property that you can hop back to and maybe do a little swimming during the day? Kids and swimming pools are a huge plus when staying at Disney. The fireworks are nice at night but may be a little loud for small ones but the colors are amazing. I hope their first visit is awesome and that you take lots of pictures.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Also, in the MK, take some time out to raft over to Tom Sawyer's Island to let the kids have a little free-range physical play time and stretch their legs.
    Awesome idea. I always forget about TS!

Quote Originally Posted by ANG View Post
    Buy some of those puree pouches in the baby food section and stick them in the freezer. By mid afternoon, they will be an awesome slushie treat.
    Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by FantasmicJ View Post
    Characters can be tricky at that age, we've had mixed experiences with both our boys and whether they are scared or not of them.
    We had originally signed up for a character meal, and cancelled. Our one boy is a bit terrified of things like that, while the other loves them.

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    He noticed the lit up sparkles in the pavement as we were exiting Epcot and could not be pried away from this amazing spectacle!
    Note to self, keep Colin away from the sidewalk with sparkles. We'll never leave!

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom2000 View Post
    Are you staying at a resort on property that you can hop back to and maybe do a little swimming during the day? Kids and swimming pools are a huge plus when staying at Disney. The fireworks are nice at night but may be a little loud for small ones but the colors are amazing. I hope their first visit is awesome and that you take lots of pictures.
    We have a time share at the Marriott Grande Vista. We're only planning on a couple of days at the parks. Mom and Dad may get a day to themselves while Grandpa and Grandma watch them. Some of the group os staying on property, so that may be an option for us to duck out for awhile too.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: