Quantcast crowds in September

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default crowds in September

My next trip is planned for September. I have only ever been to WDW during Spring Break or late May/early June. It looks like crowds are historically less in September? Will the crowds be much lighter? Will it make it easier to do more and therefore spend more time relaxing at resort?

On a related note, does the DDP make it more crowded or less pleasant in restaurants? Or does the relative lower crowd compensate for that?

Are there any other positives or negatives to this time of year that I may not be thinking of?
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience was that the crowds were much lighter. We did exactly what you suggested -- toured the parks in the AM and spend most afternoons at the resort. Only negative I can think of is the heat and humidity and the not un-common afternoon t-storm. For me though the reduced crowds and value season room rates made it well worth it.

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

September has become our favorite time to go!! We have found crowds to be much lighter and have never waited for a ride longer than 20 minutes without a FP. We go towards the end of the month and the weather is still beautiful. LOVE IT

Can't comment on DDP. Never have done that since it wouldn't make economical sense for our family and the way we eat.

The only downside I can think of, depending on when in September you go, is that MNSSHP may have MK closing early on certain nights. Unless you have a ticket specifically for that event, I believe you need to leave the park by 7pm. That has never been an issue for us, but it is something to be aware of.

Have fun!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Crowds are definitely lighter than those times you mentioned. It's not empty because no time of the year is any more, but comparatively they're light. Can you do more? Well, somewhat. Yes, crowds are lower, but as a result the parks often close earlier so that knocks off some park time if you're one that likes to close the parks out. For instance, DAK will close at 7 during May, but 5 during September. DHS might close at 9 or 10 in May but 7 in September and so on. And, as mentioned previously, there are the MNSSHP nights at MK that closes MK down at 7 several nights a week.

As for the DDP - that's the one big drawback to September. Everyone now expects the "free" DDP in September which means restaurants are NUTS and ADRs can be very hard to get. The park itself doesn't feel crowded but the restaurants can feel like peak season because everyone is on the DDP.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

September is the best

We have visited twice and are going this September. Earlier seems quieter like right after Labor Day. As you get to mid to late September, it is a little busier because of the Halloween parties.

We have gone 2 times during spring break and it was packed. No comparison.

Karyn
    CBR (Martinique Bldg 25): April 2006
    CBR (Jamaica Bldg 45): October 2007
    POR (Alligator Bayou 18): March/April 2010
    POP: (70s, Building 6): September 2010
    POP: (70s, Building 6): September 2011
    POFQ: September 2013
    POFQ: September 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy visiting in September. Crowds are lighter but the park hours are also shorter. Weather is still typically hot and humid. Thunder showers are a distinct possibility. This is still during hurricane season so such as storm is always a possibility, even if the odds are in your favor to miss such a storm.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing my first solo trip this September, a first for me as well, so I have enjoyed reading all of the replies.

Since I'm going by myself, I plan to eat at the bar at a few places so 1.) I don't have to worry about an ADR and 2.) I can still use my TIW card. I really don't want to do the DDP again; it is just too much food for me/us. Hopefully I'll be in the parks while everyone else is eating. It is kind of strange going and having NO ADRs. It's so 1990.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

We've been a few times in September....it is the best time to go if you can stand the heat. Most rides were walk on -10 min waits with more popular rides being like 20 min or so waits. It is super hot though. Even though the parks seem so empty, the restaurants always seem so busy. You definatley have to make ressies to get in. We are tyring Dec. this year...can't wait!!
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferS. View Post
    We've been a few times in September....it is the best time to go if you can stand the heat. Most rides were walk on -10 min waits with more popular rides being like 20 min or so waits. It is super hot though. Even though the parks seem so empty, the restaurants always seem so busy. You definatley have to make ressies to get in. We are tyring Dec. this year...can't wait!!
    I am just curious how hot is it? I live in the Phoenix area where 115 in the summer is not uncommon and 100 degree heat can start as early as April. I know there is humidity but if it's in the 90's I don't think I'd mind.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    I am just curious how hot is it?
    Usually low to mid 90s, though with the humidity the heat index is well over 100 each day. I've lived in desert areas too. It's hot, but even if the actual air temp is higher, it's nothing like Florida heat with the humidity. Be prepared for a shock. Fortunately, September isn't quite as bad as late July and August.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love September. The days can be hot (more the humidity then the actual temperature), but we found we'd go to the parks in the morning and after lunch go back to the resort to swim and then go back to the parks in the evening. Evenings are beautiful.

On my last trip in Sept we found that the first week of our trip (mid sept) was the least busy. Short waits, low crowds. The second week of our trip (last week of the month) crowds increased and we noticed a big difference. It was still managable though. We've been on the dining plan and you definetly need reservations for any Table Services. With reservations though, it was fine. CS locations can get quite busy at the standard times so you may want to try to eat at off peak hours. When we did lunch at 2-3pm we found the CS locations almost empty.

Have a good trip!
    1984 - Contemporary
    1989, 91, 92 - Caribbean Beach
    1992, 94, 95 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Caribbean Beach
    2007, 08, 10 - Pop Century
    2012 - AOA
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2014 - Pop Century
    2015 - POR / Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Aroundthe third week in August the parks start to empty out as the kids go back to school.

We had a good experience going the third and forth weeks in August a few years back. The weather was miserably humid and hot, but the parks were fairly empty and you could get into AC conditioned lines to help.

September is a great time to go, although I typically wait until F&W starts up in October.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Crowds are definitely lighter than those times you mentioned. It's not empty because no time of the year is any more, but comparatively they're light. Can you do more? Well, somewhat. Yes, crowds are lower, but as a result the parks often close earlier so that knocks off some park time if you're one that likes to close the parks out. For instance, DAK will close at 7 during May, but 5 during September. DHS might close at 9 or 10 in May but 7 in September and so on. And, as mentioned previously, there are the MNSSHP nights at MK that closes MK down at 7 several nights a week.

As for the DDP - that's the one big drawback to September. Everyone now expects the "free" DDP in September which means restaurants are NUTS and ADRs can be very hard to get. The park itself doesn't feel crowded but the restaurants can feel like peak season because everyone is on the DDP.
    This ^^^ Exactly!!!

We are early morning park people so it works for us, but if you are typically a later arriving person normally, you will lose precious park time because the hours are so short. However, if you do arrive at opening, you will feel almost that you have the park to yourself.

ADRs are hard to obtain. Also, there may be less lines open for counter service, less people working, so you feel like it takes a long time to order and get your food.

That being said, we really enjoyed our September trips and ability to ride rides over and over. It spoiled our kids. The year we went in May and the crowds were so crazy we only rode Space and Splash twice the entire trip. That was a bummer.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great!

I make everyone get to the parks early. We are used to carefully planning, using fast passes, and doing our favorites only once. Sounds like we might be able to relax just a bit? Of course there will be a new fast pass system to master.

I already made ADRs, anticipating the free dining and reservation rush.

I would love to spend the evenings relaxing a bit at resort and then heading over to see Wishes, perhaps.

Feeling very excited!!!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL