Quantcast Disney without the kids?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney without the kids?

Ever go to Disney without the kids?

DH and I may have the opportunity to go this summer for the weekend. I feel like we could catch a red eye and do so many more attractions if we went alone (not that I don't enjoy it with my kids). They are 2 and 4 so I know their feelings won't be hurt if we go to WDW over another place.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we have done this. You will have a great time!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't yet, but we are booked in August to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I think at times we will feel guilty. And during special moments like Wishes, we'll miss our kids. But overall, we are generally excited about the trip.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Have done it three times. Just got back on May 2nd from the last trip without kids. If you feel so inclined, I wrote up some trip reports (one for each day). They're fairly brief, and I tried to make them entertaining.

But, all in all, I recommend going without the kids. You'll also be surprised at how many other couples are there without kids.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

We have gone twice without kids and yes you do feel a little guilty. Just remember you need sometime to enjoy each other and do adult stuff. We just did 3-4 day weekend trips and had a blast. On both trips we got the park hopper and would do all 4 parks in a day just so we could do all our favorite rides that we can't do with our kids.
    The kids were never mad because we go every year with them since they were born (now 6 & 8). Enjoy your trip and take time to relax. We would sit on a bench and just people watch which is very relaxing. Watching kids on meltdown and the parents reaction are priceless. Makes you appreciate your alone time together.......
    82 84 85 Apr00 MGV, Jan03 LTV, Sep03 ASMu, Mar04 SVR, Sept04 Pop, Sep05 SSR, Dec06 SSR, Oct07 WLV, Oct09 THV, Oct10 AKL, Oct11 AKL, Oct12 THV, Feb13 CBR, Sept13 BLT/BWV, Apr14 BLT/VB , Jun14 BCV, July14 AKL, Jan15 SSR/DCL, June15 BCV/OKW/VB, Nov15 DCL/Poly, Apr16 GF

Post Thanks / Like

All but one of our trips were without kids because we don't have kids. Our last trip last year was 4 adults and we had a great time as always.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

We did it for our anniversary and loved it. We got to do all the adult things that you can't do when you have a 4 year old. We ate dinners late, tasted wine at Epcot kiosks. The best part, we didn't have to do small world. That alone was worth leaving DS home.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I love going with my kids but I love going without them too. It's two different types of experiences. Go and have fun.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ANG View Post
    Ever go to Disney without the kids?
    Uh... yeah!

I have a love hate relationship with the red-eye though. I love getting there to get in a full day at the parks, but I have to budget some time mid-day to get some extra sleep. Sleeping on the plane just doesn't happen for me.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely do it and don't feel guilty about it. You can always take the kids next time. Nothing on earth is as romantic as watching Wishes with your soul mate! Have an amazing time!
    Auntie B

Post Thanks / Like

We did it this past October and had a wonderful time! Hope you do too!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Yes- several times. We just went at the end of April for adults only.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! There's lots to do for adults without kids, and you will get so much accomplished. I think it's great to have the time away if you can manage it. We only pulled it off before we had kids and once the kids were older.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

.....spent 2 days at WDW with only the wife a few yrs back (before going on a cruise and meeting up with child #3 in Tampa) ...and it was GLORIOUS.

.....it was nice from a "couples time" together aspect (and less persons to share the bathroom with at the resort). I would do it again in a moment .....since I don't think you need kids around to do "kid things". I really believe, once you pass through the gates of one of the parks ...enter the resort ...or even drive under the "Welcome to WDW" type signs ....that 20 yrs is shaved off your "adult sensibilities" ...and that's great!!

....I should clarify that my "kids" ...are 17, 24, and 28 ...so I really don't get dragged into the whole 'catering to kids" type thing ....but it's nice to just have the adult time.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! DH and I will be going again for the 2nd time without our DD this September and are looking forward to it. We try to do things we haven't done before... things we always say "Oh, we should try that!" or "If we have more time, next trip we will..."

We just go at a more relaxed pace to take it all in. I say go and ENJOY!!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Go, enjoy and don't feel guilty.

Some day the kids will be out of the house & gone and when that happens you and your spouse want to have something to talk about other than "I wonder what the kids are doing?" so time away as just a couple is a great thing allowing you to focus on each other and just having fun together.

Post Thanks / Like

yes!

a few years ago i talked my wife into going to f&w for our anniversary. she was reticent but said she would give it a try without the kids. we own at bwv so it's a perfect spot for that time of year. a day into our trip she looked at me as we walked along the boardwalk on our way to the kiosks at epcot and said we are doing this every year!

and we have. best anniversary ever, every year. just holding my wife's hand and having some quiet time while we walk along is amazing.

and like others have said we always do at least 1 family trip to bcv for a week - ten days as well. so...they are not too bent out of shape about it

(our kids are 11 and 12)

Post Thanks / Like

We do it all the time! We are taking two of the kids in November this year, but most of our Disney trips these past few years have been without kids. They are getting older and this will probably be the last one where the kids are with us, unless at some point we go along with their families!

Don't feel guilty. You will do plenty for your children over the course of the next 60-70 years, so just enjoy a week by yourself every now and then.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

We have gone the the last two years at the end of October for the Food & Wine Festival. Our four "kids" range in age from 27 to 20. No guilt feelings at all.

We had such enjoyable weeks. Doing things we wanted to do - many of the dinning events and just worrying about each other.

That being said, we are planning the same trip for 2014 with everyone.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Go and don't feel guilty. My son is 19 years old and he could really care less about the parks but my husband and I love it. We get a bonus because he will watch the dog while we're gone and don't have to spend extra for boarding fees.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: