Quantcast *CHRISTMAS TRIP* our 1st trip to DL/Cali Adv. Advise and suggestions please!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default *CHRISTMAS TRIP* our 1st trip to DL/Cali Adv. Advise and suggestions please!

This will be our first trip to Disneyland/California Adventure. It will be myself, DH and DD 9yrs and DS 5 yrs old. What are must sees and must dos not only just to be in Disneyland but to be there Christmas week! We've been to WDW dozens of times, but this is ALL new to me!!! Thank you in advance!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all congratulations on your first trip to the Disneyland Resort.

This is a wonderful time of year to visit the Resort, but be prepared for crowds. The two weeks surrounding Christmas and New Years compare with summer crowds when it comes to attendance. However, hours will also be lengthened, as in the summer, so you will have lots of time to enjoy all the special holiday entertainment and attractions.

The "Believe...In Holiday Magic" fireworks show at Disneyland is not to be missed. Find a spot in view of the castle and watch the transformation each night as it becomes beautifully icy and sparkly. Then enjoy the snowfall! I think the Christmas Fantasy parade is excellent. You may find yourself singing the song throughout your visit! Visit the Jingle Jangle Jamboree and see Santa, Mickey & Minnie & their friends decked out in their winter outfits, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies Christmas show, games, and crafts. Two attractions have very special holiday makeovers at Disneyland. Haunted Mansion is visited by the Nightmare Before Christmas characters and its a small world has holiday decorations and music from around the world. I love them both!

Cars Land in DCA is so cute during the holidays. Each little area has decorations specific to its theme. You will find trees built out of safety cones, trees decorated with highway signs and hubcaps, wreathes made out of tires and air filters, and tools shaped as snowflakes. Santa is on Buena Vista Street in the Elias & Co. shop and Molly the Messenger, riding up and down the street will deliver messages to him. The lighting of the Christmas tree near Carthay Circle is very touching.

Both parks are overflowing with holiday gifts and snacks and treats made special for this season. And don't forget Downtown Disney and the Resort Hotels. They are decorated for the holidays as well.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Never been during XMas but here are must dos either because its only at DL or better than WDW version:

Pirates of Caribbean
    Space Mountain
    Indiana Jones
    Cars Land
    Matterhorn
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to ask about a Christmas trip and saw this thread so I figured I'd just add on.

We are debating a Christmas trip and I was wondering how bad are the crowds? Is it worth it? I've been in early Dec so I've seen the holiday decor, HM Holiday and Small World but I think there would be something special about being there on Christmas Day. It would be me, DH and DS (4) unless any extended family wanted to join. And we go to DL about once a year so it's ok if we don't make it on all of the attractions.

DisneyPookie - I think that you will be very pleasantly surprised by the wonder of Disneyland and how close things are to each other compared to WDW. My must sees at Christmas would be the special versions of the Haunted Mansion and Small World since they don't do those at WDW.

Maybe we'll see you there
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

I can't comment on the crowds because I've never been brave enough to go after about December 22.

I would say, expect MASSIVE crowds, though. Although, many Annual Passholders are blocked out so it might not be so bad after all.

Disneyland/DCA are VERY festive during the holidays. Puts WDW to shame, really. It's all very well decorated.

Check out the Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo area to meet Santa AND some real reindeer! That area also hosts some fun arts and crafts during the holidays. Usually, at Christmas time, it's cookie decorating.

There will also be unique holiday food items located throughout the parks that are fun to try.

I like watching the holiday parade at NIGHT, near It's a Small World. They have a "lighting ceremony" for the Small World Facade every night, and it's SO cool! Definitely see that. And, definitly ride It's a Small World Holiday. They overlay the entire ride with holiday decorations and sing a version of the song with a Jingle Bells/Deck the Halls melody. It's so festive and unique.

The fireworks are not to be missed and it snows on Main Street after they are done!

DL during the holidays is really something special. You are going to have a great time there! I would caution though, that New Years Eve at Disneyland is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I would probably avoid the parks that particular day, if you will still be around.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I can't comment on the crowds because I've never been brave enough to go after about December 22.

I would say, expect MASSIVE crowds, though. ...
    I'm the same. Have always avoided the Resort during the two weeks surrounding Christmas and New Years.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    ... Check out the Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo area to meet Santa AND some real reindeer! ...
    Sadly, the reindeer did not travel to Disneyland during the 2012 holiday season. I'm hoping they will be back this year.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best and most memorable trips of my life was from Dec 24 -27 about 5 years ago -- Christmas Eve the park closes early so the cast members can celebrate with family -- and to be honest the park wasn't crazy. Be SURE and stay for park closing -- all of the characters line the Main Street station and wave as everyone leaves the park -- and they are all in Pajamas -- it was so sweet I cried.

Christmas day was very crowds until late afternoon -- and from then until I left on the 27th the crowds didn't leave. LOL -- it was so busy but SO fun.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: