Quantcast New Digital Camera

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Digital Camera

Hi all,

I'm getting ready for summer vacation time and a fall trip to WDW and have been looking around for a new digital camera. I currently have a point and shoot Sony Cybershot dsc-wx9 (16.2 MP, 5x optical zoom, full hd movie mode...ect) but want a camera that offers better zoom and works better in lower light.

I am not necessarily looking for a DSLR but then do not want to go with just another point and shoot option that has more megapixels. So far i have looked at both the Canon sx50 and sx500 models and features of both and still looking at other options. I am not looking for a camera that offers wifi but if the model i end up with has it than that is fine.

I am mostly going to be using the camera for scenic and landscape photos and most likely looking to have some prints enlarged and want a camera that can take clear/sharp photos without losing quality.

I am not an expert to photography though not new to it either so my operational camera knowledge is middle of the road. Most times its just trial and error that works best rather than reading the manual.

Does anyone use either the Canon sx50 or sx500 or another camera that they would recommend? Thanks in advance for the info!!
    7/90-6CB
    F/N97ASSP
    F/N98ASSP
    Jan/Nv99ASM
    7/00CB
    7/01ASM
    F/N 02ASM
    2/03ASM
    11/03DL-OFF
    F/N 04PC
    F/N 05PC
    11/06PC
    6/07PC
    10/07PC
    2/08PC
    9/08PC
    6/09PC
    2/10PC
    5/11PC
    5/12PC
    8/13Off
    10/13PC
    5/14PC
    6/14Off
    10/14AKLKV
    5/15PC
    7/15Off
    10/15SSR
    5/16SSR
    9/16SSR
    6/17PC
    5/18PC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the thread here: http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=199284

I think that a lot of what I put there would be useful. I usually take landscape photos, and at WDW I use an Olympus PEN E-PL3 with a 20mm Panasonic lens. No zoom. I can add a zoom to it, but it adds bulk. This is NOT a DSLR. Much smaller. Check out the photos I took here, all of which were taken with my Olympus: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2593947...7632861527191/

Now, that said, unless you're going to get a DSLR, I would stay away from Canon and Nikon. They really don't lead in other categories. Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Samsung, Olympus all have excellent point 'n' shoot and mirrorless cameras, and also what they call "Superzooms"...which are great cameras but not really much smaller than a DSLR.

Is size an issue? What is your target price range?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Is size an issue?
    Size is not that big of an issue though do not want a camera that is too bulky to carry around.

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    What is your target price range?
    My target price range is $399 or less.
    7/90-6CB
    F/N97ASSP
    F/N98ASSP
    Jan/Nv99ASM
    7/00CB
    7/01ASM
    F/N 02ASM
    2/03ASM
    11/03DL-OFF
    F/N 04PC
    F/N 05PC
    11/06PC
    6/07PC
    10/07PC
    2/08PC
    9/08PC
    6/09PC
    2/10PC
    5/11PC
    5/12PC
    8/13Off
    10/13PC
    5/14PC
    6/14Off
    10/14AKLKV
    5/15PC
    7/15Off
    10/15SSR
    5/16SSR
    9/16SSR
    6/17PC
    5/18PC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just bought a Canon SX40

I just bought a Canon SX40 and I couldn't be more pleased with the picture quality, just amazing!
    2015 - All Star Sports
    2013 - All Star Music
    2012 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    2010 - Caribbean Beach
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    2006 - All Star Sports
    2005 - All Star Sports
    2004 - All Star Sports
    2003 - All Star Sports
    1999 - Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

IF size is not too much of an issue, but you want zoom and excellent photo quality for $400 or less, I would recommend a "superzoom" camera. It's bigger than a point 'n' shoot, but for a reason. Basically, cameras that work better in low light are cameras that have bigger sensors. Bigger sensors mean bigger camera bodies....usually (there are always exceptions). Look at a few of these:

Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200V. Usually around $500, but a manufacturer's rebate of $130 at B and H Photo Video's website until Sat.

FujiFilm Finepix HS35EXR ($332) or S8200 ($260)

Panasonic Lumix FZ60 ($350)

and if you want a conversation piece that also takes great photos, there is the Fujifilm XF1 for about $400. Not as great a zoom as those others listed, but a great little camera.

You could also go to CNET to do comparisons and often they have video reviews. Have fun!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ45 with an 18x zoom that I really like. It has tons of features, so you can customize your photos as much as you want, or you can set It to Intelligent Automatic for quick and simple pics. No wifi with my model; I didn't even realize that this was being offered in some cameras!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: