Quantcast Explosion in toontown in Disneyland.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Explosion in toontown in Disneyland.

There are reports flooding twitter that there was a small explosion in a trash can in toontown in Disneyland. Reports are saying it was a soda bottle filled with dry ice....

I have to ask how did that get in the park? I mean it's not like people bring dry ice to drink? Isn't that some kind of chemically imposed ice that causes third degrees burns and such?

Reports are saying the area was evacuated and no one was injured thank god. Freaks me it though, anyone else?
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just heard the same thing. Gets me so upset to hear anything like this to happen in Disney.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I just got home from work and turned on my tablet to see a report on this on MSN. It's only natural to get that sinking feeling in your stomach when you here something like this, especially given current events in the world. Really all I can say is we are all concerned but also wait for the facts to come out.
    -- .. -.-. -.- . --.- -- --- ..-- ... .

83' off property
    00' OKW
    06' 09' AS Sport
    13' Contemporary
    15' POP
    18' POP

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop... Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    There are reports flooding twitter that there was a small explosion in a trash can in toontown in Disneyland. Reports are saying it was a soda bottle filled with dry ice....

I have to ask how did that get in the park? I mean it's not like people bring dry ice to drink? Isn't that some kind of chemically imposed ice that causes third degrees burns and such?

Reports are saying the area was evacuated and no one was injured thank god. Freaks me it though, anyone else?
    Dry ice is used in shipping perishable items (omaha steaks i believe use that to ship products). It can cause third degree burns and frostbite instantly. I don't believe that it came from outside the park. any guard would see a bottle of dry ice a mile away (at normal temps it fogs. if they capped the bottle tight it would have exploded far far sooner because of the release of carbon dioxide... tho why a cast member would do anything like this is beyond me
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

It also could have been an innocent accident. Best not to jump to conclusions.

Dry ice is commonly used in the food industry and I'm sure Disneyland has large amounts on property at any time. We use it quite often in our lab and I often have inexperienced students accidentally enclosing it in a tube or bottle. Just a few small chips can cause an impressive pop.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

It is used in the mobile carts that CMs use to restock the ice cream carts. The ice cream carts themselves plug in, but when they need to be re-stocked, the ice cream is brought over in a cart that has dry ice to keep the treats frozen. I've seen them restocking and the CM that handles that ice cream has to wear heavy duty gloves due to the dry ice inside the cart.

I hate to think this was something a CM did, but it sure does seem like it, as they are the only ones with access to dry ice inside the park.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Dulcee, I understand your thought. I'm not jumping to conclusions, just stating the facts. However, I find it hard to innocently believe "dry ice" accidentally ended up in a soda bottle with the lid tightly closed. But that's just me.

That's my fear as well BreGnat...can anyone just by dry ice like in a store? I thought that was kind of a controlled substance typically only available to companies who need it for keeping things cold such as the ice cream carts. Is it me? I wasn't very good in science class but I do remember it being pretty dangerous to someone if not used correctly.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I had heard this has happened around the area not just at DL in the recent past.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

That's my fear as well BreGnat...can anyone just by dry ice like in a store? I thought that was kind of a controlled substance typically only available to companies who need it for keeping things cold such as the ice cream carts.
    Anyone can purchase dry ice. There is a local ICE company to me that advertises dry ice for sale. As a previous poster has said Omaha Steaks uses dry ice in styrophone coolers to ship thier products. If you put dry ice in water it creates a dense heavy fog that moves low accross the floor. I put dry ice in water and put it up on my kitchen counter, the fog rolled down the cabiets and accross the floor. Really neat to see. Dry ice is just frozen carbon dioxide in solid form.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

You can purchase dry ice in most supermarkets that sell bagged ice. It's very easy to get. DH had to buy some a year ago for a military function, and he just got it at Safeway (supermarket).
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Ah thanks for the info! I can assume then someone may have brought it in for packing a lunch or something, and then maybe innocently threw it away not knowing what it would do? At least we can hope that is the case. Will have to see if Disney releases any further statements. I am sure they have the whole thing on camera somewhere
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure they have the whole thing on camera somewhere
    I would be very surprised if they do.

Of all of the incidence you have read about involving Disney over the years, have you ever seen surveillance video released (not cell-phone footage, but official Disney surveillance)? Even in incidents that led to a both Criminal and Civil trials, no surveillance video out there that I have ever seen, and once it gets to a trial they have no choice but to turn it over during discovery.

I think Disney depends much more on eyes and ears and less on cameras for monitoring the public areas of the park. I am not counting the cameras they have on attractions to monitor tracks and such, just areas like a trash can outside a bathroom.

Just my
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Sending this to the News forum.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how much of an accident this was... In order to explode dry ice inside a plastic soda bottle, water has to be added...

As for cameras, cameras are all over the place in all Disney parks.. You'd be surprised as to what areas are monitored (all of them basically)... yes, the person who dropped this bottle is probably on tape... And of course we won't see video of it.. Why should we? The proper authorities will review the tapes... How many incidents are caught on security cameras that the general public does not need to, nor do we ever see? 1,000s a day?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland employee arrested in dry ice explosion at California park
    LOS ANGELES | Wed May 29, 2013 2:40pm EDT

May 29 (Reuters) - A Disneyland employee has been arrested on suspicion of possessing a destructive device following a dry ice explosion in a trash can at the California park on Wednesday night, police said on Thursday.

Christian Barnes, 22, identified as an outdoor vending cast member at Disneyland, was being held on $1 million bail, Sergeant Bob Dunn of the Anaheim Police Department said. (Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Cynthia Johnston)
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    ... And of course we won't see video of it.. Why should we? The proper authorities will review the tapes...
    Because when incidents result in Civil or Criminal trials, there is rarely an exception made to the public's access to that evidence. There have been several cases where everyone assumes Disney had surveillance, but none was ever produced, even in trials where there was eyewitness testimony about two guys fighting, but there was no surveillance video offered, the best eyewitness of them all.

Just like with the feeling of security people feel from the bag checks at the gate, Disney relies too much on the assumption of security that is not really there, as illustrated today by the finding of a loaded gun at DAK just laying in a seat.

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

As suspected, it was a CM The guy admitted he did it. Idiot.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts exactly, Nat. Grrrrrr
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Call me gullible, but I bet this young man thought he would make a little haunted mansion effect of fog coming out of the trash can (he was "plussing it") and failed to realize the consequences of trapping the dry ice in a sealed container with water.

Back in my youthful indiscretion days I once put a piece of dry ice in a toilet to freak someone out, and years later I realized that it could have cracked the toilet.

Maybe he is a terrorist, but I think he is just learning a high school science lesson with a million-dollar bond now attached to it.

18 Oct ASMv
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    Call me gullible, but I bet this young man thought he would make a little haunted mansion effect of fog coming out of the trash can (he was "plussing it") and failed to realize the consequences of trapping the dry ice in a sealed container with water.

Back in my youthful indiscretion days I once put a piece of dry ice in a toilet to freak someone out, and years later I realized that it could have cracked the toilet.

Maybe he is a terrorist, but I think he is just learning a high school science lesson with a million-dollar bond now attached to it.
    He's 22 years old. He knew what he was doing. There have been a rash of similar "dry ice plastic bottle" bombs in the vicinity recently. He might actually be responsible for those as well, considering he had access to dry ice. Probably why his bond was set so high.
    Natalie

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: