Quantcast DCL That one thing...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile DCL That one thing...

Hi all!
    We have finally booked our very first Disney Cruise for June 2014! I have finally stopped dancing around and thought its time to get onto Intercot and learn learn learn.
    Here is my question...
    What is the one piece of advice you wish someone would have told you for your first DCL Cruise?
    Thank you all in advance.
    -Kathy
    Kathy
    [COLOR=DarkRed]

'72, '88, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '99, '00, '01, 3/03, 10/03, 1/05, 4/05, 1/06, 10/06, 1/07, 5/07, 12/07, 10/08, 5/09, 11/09, 1/10, 10/10, 12/10, 10/11, 07/12, 11/12, 10/13, 4/14, DCL6/14, 10/14, 1/15, 5/15, WL8/15 & 11/15! Finally Moved to FLORIDA 2/16!! :D

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This may seem silly, and if you don't drink it won't apply to you - but Disney actually allows you to bring your own alcohol onboard!

If I had known this prior to my first cruise, my bar tab would have been much less!

I'm sure I'll think of others, but that was the first thing that came to mind. And by the way, I'm right there dancing with you...we are going on our 3rd Disney cruise in January 2014!!
    DVC Owner since 2005: SSR
    DVC Owner since 2011: AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Wear your bathing suits and be all sunscreened BEFORE you get on the boat. Then, no lugging stuff around or changing in bathrooms while out at the pool waiting for your room to be ready! We went on our first this past March, and booked onboard for next April. Best family vacation EVER!
    Disneyluva

March 16 WDW off property
    April 15 DLR
    Feb 15 WDW off prorpety
    April 14 DCL and AKL
    March 13 DCL
    March 12 BC
    August 11 ASM
    January 10 GF
    April 09 BC
    November 06 GF
    January 05 GF
    February 98 Contemporary
    1978-1994 Many off Properties

Post Thanks / Like

No idea if this applies to you (meaning, no idea if you have little ones) but we waited to get on near the end of boarding, simply to avoid the crush of people and hang out at our WDW resort a little longer.

We got on, got into our room, and our 2.5yo crashed for an afternoon nap around 3:30. The cruise director makes SEVERAL announcements during this time (which can only be partially stifled by holding a pillow up to your speaker), which can disturb a sleeping child.

But the killer was at 4pm, when they have the mandatory safety drill that all must attend. If you've ever woken a 2yo in the middle of a nap and taken him into a theater and tried to get him to sit quietly and happily in a confined space, you'll know what a joy this is.

So our lesson learned is - don't time it so your kid is napping when it's time for that safety drill.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Bring something fun to wear for Pirate Night! It is SO much fun. I'm not saying get all dressed up or anything, but just try to find frilly shirts and bring a couple "props" that you can get cheap before the cruise (eye patch, pirate hat, bandanas, etc.) We totally got into it, and we are NOT typically the type of people that do that sort of thing. We spent like $40 in the cruise gift shop on "props". You better believe we are bringing them with us on our cruise this summer!

Also, totally agree with wearing suits and appropriate pool deck shoes onto the ship. For ladies, just wear under your clothes. Boys can easily get away with wearing swim trunks and a t-shirt with crocs or flip flops. You don't need to be all dressed up to board the ship. We are doing that this time around so we can do the Aquaduck and pools early since we have an early port arrival time.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!! We know what your feeling!!!

I don't have anything to add, but we just booked our first DCL cruise for Christmas 2014. It is the first Christmas in four years I haven't worked, so we decided to CELEBRATE!!

Glad you guys are are as excited as we are.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

pick a date for your next cruise because you'll get hooked. It will save you 10% plus some onboard credit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Palo

if you are on a 4 or more night cruise , book Palo on the night you repeat dining rooms.

If you are a runner or walker , hit the running track deck EARLY on the morning you arrive at CastAway Cay. it is very cool to see how they dock the ship and you may catch the speedboat arriving with Island Crew.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeetle View Post
    This may seem silly, and if you don't drink it won't apply to you - but Disney actually allows you to bring your own alcohol onboard!

If I had known this prior to my first cruise, my bar tab would have been much less!

I'm sure I'll think of others, but that was the first thing that came to mind. And by the way, I'm right there dancing with you...we are going on our 3rd Disney cruise in January 2014!!

Is this any alcohol or just wine?

I thought I remembered in the past they gave out a bandana and eye patch for pirate night. Is this no longer the case? Or are they just not that good?
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    Is this any alcohol or just wine?
    From the Disney site:

Question
    May Guests bring alcohol onboard?

Answer
    While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:

•Outside alcohol cannot be consumed in any lounge or public area
    •At Palo and Remy, a $20 corkage fee will be charged for outside wine and champagne
    •Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension
    Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

They give bandanas but not eye patches. The bandanas are really tiny though. Kid sized.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Take advantage of the things happening on board the ship when at sea or between ports. For instance, use the gym, see a movie, go to the spa or hang out at the pool. We were lost the first day at sea until we figured out we needed to do something. We are active and it took us a day to figure out how to fill up our days.

Have a great time

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    From the Disney site:

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    They give bandanas but not eye patches. The bandanas are really tiny though. Kid sized.
    Thanks for the heads up! I will be stocking up prior to our cruise!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you are clear on the alcohol issue now. Bring a few of your favorites to mix with OJ or Cranberry Juice or maybe even Coke. You'll save a bundle.

Here's another good tip you may or may not have read elsewhere: the daily Navigators are your Bible onboard! But it can be overwhelming to keep track of upcoming activities/events for multiple family members. A few colored hi lighters are a great way to keep things organized for both kids and adults!
    DVC Owner since 2005: SSR
    DVC Owner since 2011: AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Others will likely disagree with me, but my one piece of advice is: don't bother getting off the ship at Nassau.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    Others will likely disagree with me, but my one piece of advice is: don't bother getting off the ship at Nassau.
    OH NO, I fully agree! First DCL years back we spent 2.5 hrs on land there. As I walked away from the ship I noticed A LOT of folks sitting in the adult area, lounging, and I wondered why they were not getting off the ship. THEY WERE REPEAT CRUISERS AND KNEW BETTER.

2 mins off the ship I wanted to get back on. The frenzy that occurs once you reach land with the folks pressure selling and sort of following you is un-nervy. Very bothersome.

BUT I was a team player and went with my party as they were all excited to visit. All had hopes of getting something for nothing. Well in a few hours they wanted to get back on-board. We did. And later at dinner they all complained about the experience. I sort of laughed; I was ready in first 2 mins to turn right around and get back on that beautiful ship!!! Can I say I was in Nausea, YES. Did I enjoy it? NO.

Now if you booked an excursion at Atlantis or else, OK I can see that. BUT to me the DCL has so so so many things to do on the ship and things to see and experience - do you really need to spend more money on other things? Really? Sure up to you.

Past cruises we don't even get up early that morning when they are in Nausea. We sit on the verandah and have a great breakfast and enjoy the day.

Don't miss Castaway Cay Day! That rocks! Get off the ship for that for sure!!!

GOOD LUCK and enjoy!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Nassau tip. It's a day at sea. That goes for many of the "islands" actually., there are just a few we bother worrying about these days.

Also, the bandana is now just for the kids. We received one this time, not the three we usually get.

Alcohol can be brought onboard, just needs to be in your carryon. Funny story, my wife was looking for a place to dump her water before the security checkpoint and the officer said, "Dear, you're on vacation now, you can drink anything you want!"

Personal alcohol is not supposed to be consumed in public places aboard the sip though I beleive.

Prepare for the last night of your cruise in advance. Debarkation is fairly stressful, if you're all packed up and ready to go that last night, things will go much smoother.

Plan on eating in your assigned dining room on debarkation morning. It's so much less stressful than Cabanas. You have a seat and your waitstaff worries about your food.

Post Thanks / Like

Get to the deck and pools early in the morning. Don't wait until the sun comes out. By that time, it will be way crowded! The pools can get overly crowded early in the day (with it calming a bit during nap times), especially on sea days. This way, you and your kids can have some time without fighting too many people. Plus, it can get hot too.

Also, make sure you don't fill your days full of so many things that you forget to just wander the ships and relax. While I like taking a dip in the pool and soaking in the sun early in the day, there is a wonderful, calming feeling that comes over you while you read a book on the comfy loungers on the Promenade deck on all ships. it is so wonderful!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: