Quantcast Button repair on shorts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Button repair on shorts

I have never sewn anything in my life and need to replace a couple buttons on some shorts. Is there some easy fix out there? I have seen lots of products to easily fix those metal buttons like on jeans but not sure how that would work on shorts that aren't denim. It seems with those plastic buttons the middle part with the holes breaks out a lot. Not sure if they get weakened from the heat from drying in the dryer.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually sewing a button is not that bad. It's the one thing I can sew. What would I have done without Home Ec.
    Check out you tube. I'm sure someone has a video on how to do it. Or ehow...
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to check out youtube. I could probably do it, just don't know how at the end to tie off the thread.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Easiest way is when you're done, bring the needle to the backside of the fabric. Take the needle under the button threads you see there and hold a bit of a loop, bring the needle through the loop and pull tight to knot it. Sounds a lot more confusing than it is.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

For people inexperienced in sewing, it is often easier to double the thread (for a button, pull about a yard of thread through the eye of the needle and tie the two ends together). Start with the thread on the back side of where you want to place the button, so the knot catches on the back of the material. Go up and down through the holes (buttons usually have two or four holes, if four be sure to go through both sets) several times to secure the button. When you are done, make sure you are on the back side again. Clip the thread near the needle so you have two loose ends. Tie off the ends with a square knot (or a double square knot) close to the material. Clips the ends again close so you don't have too much excess and voila! button fixed.
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HollyB View Post
    For people inexperienced in sewing, it is often easier to double the thread (for a button, pull about a yard of thread through the eye of the needle and tie the two ends together). Start with the thread on the back side of where you want to place the button, so the knot catches on the back of the material. Go up and down through the holes (buttons usually have two or four holes, if four be sure to go through both sets) several times to secure the button. When you are done, make sure you are on the back side again. Clip the thread near the needle so you have two loose ends. Tie off the ends with a square knot (or a double square knot) close to the material. Clips the ends again close so you don't have too much excess and voila! button fixed.
    Similar...

I finish off by ending between the button and the fabric. I wrap the thread around the thread between the button and the fabric several times (like you're winding a fishing reel). I tie it off and then route about two/three inches of thread into the wasteband and then back out, then cut the thread. That way there are no loose ends to unravel, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't sew either. The only reason I passed home ec is because I can cook. We did a little bit of each. I would take the clothing item to a dry cleaner with a tailor and let them do it. Sometimes it's worth it to pay and get it done right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. I did it so we'll see how long it lasts.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: