Quantcast Parking ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Parking ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parking ?

Tell me about parking at WDW. I have only driven to DL and parked there. Done both the lot parking (years ago) and the parking garage across the street. As for WDW I have always flown. Next trip will be by SUV, now I know some on intercot love using there cars instead of the buses. I would like to know is it really better to use the car? We will be staying onsite so not worried about the cost. Just want to know if driving to parks would be better then the buses. With DL I remember that first you have to park (well organized but still takes time). Then get to the elevators (parking garage), then catch a tram to to parks. All done efficiently but I found it so much better to get a hotel across the street and walk to parks. Is it faster to use your car? Do you park in a big lot and catch a tram? If so how do they handle wheelchairs/scooters? Sorry about the length but wanted to make sure you understood.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

At WDW you do park in the lots and then take a tram (or walk) to the front gates. I'm not 100% sure how they handle scooters, but I know they do handle it. Driving your own car can sometimes be nice, but it's probably easier to take Disney transportation. The only time having my own car is really nice is if we want to go from one of the parks to DTD or if we're trying to go from one resort to another. There is no direct transportation either from any of the 4 parks to DTD or from resort to resort. That can be a big hassle so we drive there. But for just going to the parks, I'd say Disney transportation is easier and it drops you off up front. The one other caveat I would give about the buses is if you like to close out the parks. If you stay until closing the buses can be packed and in that case driving is a little better.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We're fans of driving, even though we stay on site.

At all of the parks, except MK, you generally have to take a tram from your car to the front gates. Of course, if you're there early enough, you can just walk from the car to the gate.

At MK, you have to take a tram or walk to the TTC, and then take the monorail or boat to the front gate. With very few exceptions, it is always better to take Disney transportation to MK, since you're dropped off right by the front gate.

Scooters/ECV's can't go on the trams. If you have a handicapped parking permit, there is some designated parking close to the gates (or the TTC at MK), so you can just walk/roll to the gates. Otherwise, you can ask to park on the end of a row, so you're as close as possible to walk/roll to the gates.

If you have a folding wheelchair, or will be renting an EVC/wheelchair in the parks, you can take the tram, and ask to park close to a tram stop, if walking is hard.

The big reason we drive is so that we don't have to wait for a bus. We can come and go more as we please. We put Mom's EVC and DD's wheelchair in the car and off we go.

The busses/Disney transport is fine, we just prefer to drive, but there are just as many people who love the ease of letting Disney do the driving.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Timely - we discussed this the other night during the latest INTERCOT Insider podcast taping.

Generally, I'm for driving to every park, including Downtown Disney, EXCEPT for Magic Kingdom. Unless you're all for the nostalgia of riding the boat or monorail from the TTC, nothing beats being dropped off right at the MK gates as the buses do.

As for the trams, really, at Epcot, DHS and AK, the parking isn't so far away that it makes for a bad walk or ride on the scooter. Or follow Heather's advice regarding end of row or handicapped spaces.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think the pros outweigh the cons.

I hate buses, I hate crushing and NON MOVING crowds. So I would rather park and walk or take a tram in most circumstances, than be stuck on a crowded bus or waiting for one.

The only park I even think about taking a bus to is MK, for the reasons stated above.

For what it's worth, the WDW roadways are signed so well, it is near impossible to get lost. I always have a map/GPS/printed directions on me, but I rarely need to refer to them.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll find a lot of folks on both sides of the coin on this one. Typically, we use Disney transportation even when we have a car with us. It's very rare for us to drive to any of the parks. The last time I recall driving to the park was on our last day when we left for the airport directly from the park.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We like to drive. Personally I hate to deal with the bus lines, especially with strollers. It is nice to be able to walk right to the car, especially at Hollywood Studios and Epcot. We usually get there early enough to get a close spot.

That being said, If I am going solo in the parks I prefer the bus. I don't like to walk out to the car alone.

I think that the parking is easier than we found at Disneyland. Of course I was not as familiar with Disneyland so I might have picked a bad place to park.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

dedicated bus rider here. i drive a lot in real lifeso i enjoy being driven on vacation.
    only exception is dtd. stupid bus stop layout and less frequent busses. although i might reconsider because last two trips the lot was packed.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies