Quantcast Philadelphia help

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Philadelphia help

We will be on vacation in the north east and have one day to spend in Philadelphia. It will be just myself and my two sons, ages 13 and 11. We will be picking up my mom at the airport around 4 pm and are looking for things to do for a day.

Any must not miss locations? What about local food? We were thinking of having Philly cheese steak for lunch. Any suggestions on where to get really good ones? We really want want experience what this city is all about! Thanks for any help.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Pat's or Geno's are the top places here to get cheesesteaks. They are across the street from each other and there is always different opinions of which one is better but they are both amazing. Make sure you read how to order a cheesesteak when you get there or you will be kicked out of line. The Art Museum is always a big hit when people come here, they love to run the steps and see the Rocky statue. The Franklin Institute will be really good to take your kids to it has a lot of things for them to do and learn.

Have Fun!!
    Recent:
    2006- Contemporary
    2007- WL
    2008- Poly (Engagement)
    2009- AK Jambo (Honeymoon)
    2010- BWV (First DVC Trip)
    2011- VWL
    2011- AK Jambo & Kidani
    2012- BWV/BCV
    2012- Disneyland Hotel (First Trip to DL)
    2013- BLT
    2013- BWV
    2014- AKL

Upcoming Trip- Feb 2015 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

One thing my kids loved (their ages are close to your kids) were the Once Upon A Nation stories. There are benches by Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, other historic sites, and there are people there telling stories about colonial/revolutionary times. They act them out, the stories are not well known and are very interesting! each one is about 10 minutes, and there are about 13 benches around the area. It is a good way to see some of the sites and you can go at your own pace, do one of the stories, or do them all!

You can google "once upon a nation stories" for the hours and information

Oh, and its free!!

Post Thanks / Like

Reading Terminal Market- you will find great Philly steaks and DiNic's pork sandwiches were rated one of best sandwiches in America by travel channel host. Great food and fun to visit all the shops.

It is within walking distance of independence hall and liberty bell - about 10 minute walk.

You can walk to the art museum from Love fountain -about a 30 minute walk. You will see a lot of Philly. Locate Independence Hall, then Reading Terminal,then court house in center city and the Love Fountain. Once you are at the fountain you can see straight down to the art museum. Walking down you will pass all the museums. If it is too hot, near Independence Hall you can take a trolley for great tours and can get off at points of interest. Shows you a lot of major Philly attractions.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

The US Mint is free and I do not believe it takes very long. They might enjoy seeing how money is made.

Post Thanks / Like

DiNicks is awesome!!!
    Independence Hall, Constitution Center, Betsy Ross house, and the Liberty Bell. I would stop at the Constitution Center because they have a lot of information on things to do like tours and they have a really neat "We the people" exhibit. Pat's and Geno's are more touristy attractions. Their quality has gone down a lot.
    Old City is quintessential Philly. You're kids have been reading and learning about the birth of this nation all this time. Might as well show them where the Fathers of this country walked and called home.

Family Trips (I was very young):
    80's - 90's Grand Floridian; Polynesian

May 2001 - All Star Sports
    2009; 2010; 2012; 2013 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Tops on my list for kids is the Franklin Institute. The Philadelphia Art Museum is great if kids are into art. My son was bored but my nephews loved it at that age.

If you go the history route...Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and Constitution Center are together in one area....a short walk from there is Franklin Square where you can find Ice cream and a very very cool mini golf course. If you are going to be in that area at night The Lights of Liberty tour is so very cool and kids love it.

There is also the cemetery around the corner where Ben Franklin is buried. It is very old and it is actually interesting to walk around the old tombstones.

If your kids are into ships you can walk down to Penns Landing and take the ferry across the river to the Battleship New Jersey. The tour is very interesting and you will be right next door to the Camden Aquarium...which IMO is just as nice as the Baltimore Aquarium.

If you make it to Reading Terminal Station for lunch make sure you get the Bassets Ice Cream. It is the best in the world...and I am not joking. 4th Street Cookies are also very good, but a little pricey.

Whatever you decide just member some things have ticketed times you need to plan in advance.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see there is SO MUCH TO DO! One day is tough. If you want a cheesesteak, don't feel obligated to go to Pat's and/or Geno's. They are hyped, but aren't necessarily the best. I'm partial to Tony Luke's and John's Roast Pork, but there's not much else touristy around that part of South Philly unless you want to drive past the decaying SS United States docked on the Delaware River. That being said they are both right near I-95, so they are easily accessible if you want to swing by on your way to or from the airport. Pat's and Geno's are more sandwiched inside a residential area and it can be tough to find parking. Honestly, You can get a good cheesesteak from many places, Depending on what you end up doing and where most of your time is spent.

Reading Terminal Market is definitely an excellent choice food-wise. And it's just a cool place. For one day, I would probably stick to the historical area. There is so much to do there within walking distance. I highly encourage you to check out the website visit philly. They have tons of great info on there, including a list of top cheesesteak places.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I am seeing that there is way more to do than a day can accomplish. We have worked it out that we may get a half day with me, DH, and two sons on our way to Fort Fix, NJ. Then another full day just the boys and I the day we pick up my mom at the airport.

It's all so overwhelming! Not only am I trying to plan Philadelphia, but also DC, Boston, Hershey, NYC, and new jersey! I may have bit off more than I can chew! Lol. But how often in life do you get the chance to have 2 1/2 weeks to visit a part of the country you've never been.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Historic Philadelphia has always been part of my life and it is my favorite part of the city. I grew up a block away from Independence Hall. I was a part-time concierge for a total of 37 years at the Philadelphia Visitors Center and the Independence Visitor Center, and enjoyed assisting visitors to Philadelphia. You've already received some great info, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Important - during the summer months, you'll need free timed tickets for the Independence Hall tour. These tickets are available at the Rangers Desk in the Independence Visitor Center on the day of your visit. See details about obtaining tickets on the day of your visit and for ordering tickets in advance.

Two websites will help you plan your visit.

Independence Visitor Center - This site will provide all the information you need regarding sights to see, tours, getting around, etc. When you arrive in Philadelphia, be sure to stop at the Center, for one-on-one assistance from a knowledgeable concierge, who will assist you in making the best of your vist. In additon to the concierge desk, a second desk is staffed by the National Park Service rangers, who can assist you with specific information regarding Independence National Historical Park. The ranger desk is also the location where you pick up the Independence Hall tickets. The Independence Visitor Center is located at 6th and Market Streets, opens at 8:30 AM daily, and is directly across from the President's House site and the Liberty Bell Center. Independence Hall is just beyond the Liberty Bell Center, on Chestnut Street. On the other side of the Visitor Center, at 6th and Arch Streets, is the National Constitution Center.

Independence National Historical Park - This site has all of the information you need to know about INHP, including hours for various buildings, Independence Hall tours, etc. Timed tickets are required for Independence Hall tours. They are available at the Visitor Center on the morning of the day you're planning to visit; however, tickets can go quickly, especially over a holiday weekend, so it's best to be at the Center as early as possible. If you prefer, you can order tickets for a specific tour time online or by phone. The details are on the INHP site. Tickets are free, but there may be a nominal convenience fee when ordering online or by phone.

Also, several other popular NHSP sites are:
    Franklin Court between 3rd and 4th Sts and Market and Chestnut Sts.
    Christ Christ Church, on 2nd Street just north of Market St., where George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Betsy Ross, among others, worshipped. Since their pews are marked, your sons can actually sit in the same place where they sat.
    Christ Church Burial Ground, 5th and Arch Sts., where Benjamin Franklin is buried. Traditionally, visitors toss a penny onto his grave.

As mentioned, Once Upon a Nation storytelling benches are a great addition in the summer months. There are approximately 13 benches scattered throughout the historic area. Information about the Once Upon a Nation program is available at the Visitor Center. You can also Google "Historical Philadelphia Once Upon a Nation" or "Storytelling Benches" for information.

The Phlash Downtown Loop is a great way to get around. It's not a tour, but it will provide you with transportation from the Penns Landing and historical areas to the major tourist attractions in Center City, Parkway and Fairmount Park areas, including the Franklin Institute, Academy of Natural Sciences, Rodin Museum, Barnes, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Zoo, etc. Information is available on the Independence Visitor Center site, as well as information about tours, such as the Double Deck Bus/Trolley Tour, etc.

Also, if you google "Philly Phlash", one of the results will be the website for the Phlash. The website also provides details regarding the locations for all stops, fares, etc.

As already mentioned, Pat's and Geno's, in the Italian Market area, are the cheesesteak places most people know since celebrities seem to want to go there, so they are often in the news. Since you will have limited time, there are several good places closer to the Historical Area and Center City. In addtion to Bassetts Ice Cream (a Philadelphia original and one of the oldest merchants) and cheesesteaks, there are numerous food counters in the Reading Terminal Market serving a wide variety of ethnic food. Each counter has seating, but if people in your group want food from different counters, there are several common seating areas.

Two additional locations for good cheesesteaks are Jim's Steak at 4th and South Sts., and Campo's at 214 Market St.

Here's a hint if you plan to visit the Philadelphia Museum of Art, but you're not sure your sons want to visit an art musuem. The Museum's galleries contain much more than paintings. As an example, the medieval gallery contains a collection of battle weapons and armor which used by both men and horses.

Have a great time in Philadelphia.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Right now there is a spy exhibit at the Franklin Institute. Might be great for your kids. If you head to Independence Mall, you are going to find a lot of things to do all in close proximity. The Liberty Bell is right by Independence Hall and the Constitution Center. Also, Chinatown and Reading Terminal Market are nearby. There is an ice cream parlor (that I have never been to and have been dying to try) right near there called Franklin Fountain. It was featured on Man vs. Food. But, the Reading Market has Bassett's ice cream, which is incredibly yummy.

Have your kids seen National Treasure? If so, lots of places from that movie are right within that area. Could be fun to find the historical sites they visited in the movie.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: