Quantcast New Refillable Mug Program

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Refillable Mug Program

Well, we knew they WDW wasn't going to just stick with the old refillable mug program (too much abuse) but their original RFID trial was a bust. It's now been announced that beginning this month at the All-Star Resorts a new "tiered" refillable mug program is rolling out called Rapid Fill. This will be at all resorts ASAP.

Basically Rapid Fill will use RFID to allow guests to select a time-frame for their mugs instead of a "length-of-stay" only option as has been the case. At the end of the period, the mug deactivate. You can use the mug at any resort quick service fountain, not just your home resort. Not sure about in the parks but there was no mention of using them in the parks.

Here's the pricing (and a "day" is a calendar day not a 24 hour period so if you arrive late in the day you'd be better to wait until the next morning to purchase): $8.99 for 1 day, $11.99 for 2, $14.99 for 3, and length of stay is $17.99.

This will still be included in some Disney Dining Plans. You will not be able to use any previous mugs or outside mugs for this. You'll have to get a new mug each visit. There will be an LCD screen on the dispensers that show you how many days are remaining on your mug.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan at all. Tiered or not at the end of the day they're just increasing the price $3 per mug for length of stay. Since we use ours for coffee only I don't see anymore mugs in our future unless they're a great design.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Not a fan at all. Tiered or not at the end of the day they're just increasing the price $3 per mug for length of stay. Since we use ours for coffee only I don't see anymore mugs in our future unless they're a great design.
    Agreed, Lynn! Wow, that length of stay $ is crazy. The only plus to the new system is that you can use it at all the resorts. And I'm hoping they did away with only being able to get one refill in a certain time period that they was in the original test?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't drink soda, nor do I drink the coffee at WDW and thus don't buy these, but the $18 doesn't seem too bad to me.

I assume if you buy this thing you are the kind of person who uses it a lot. If one stays for five days (is that about the average?) then maybe you fill that thing up five times a day for 25 beverages? That's not a bad per-drink price, right? Plus you get a mug to take home with you.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Considering it's been in the $13-14 range the last few years, I think that's a big jump. And to be honest, for example if I'm at my favorite resort, CSR, in the Ranchos section, it IS a long haul over to El Centro just for a refill. Especially with how small the mug's capacity has gotten. Maybe the new mugs will be slightly larger?

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is--leave it to Disney World to even further complicate an already muddled system.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Our reservation has the free refillable mug thing listed, does that mean they give us the mug and we purchase the refills? Never had this before.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I really do not get all the negativity here.

For those with shorter stays, the mugs become cheaper, and with longer stays, the price is reasonable. Not cheap, but compared to buying individual drinks at $1.99 (??) per drink, it is a deal. AND, now you will be able to "legally" fill up at ANY resort, rather than only at the resort in which you are staying. (Yes, I know that with the 'one design fits all' mugs over the past 8+ years, there was nothing to stop you from doing that anyway.)

Also, most dining plans will still get the mugs as part of the plan. (All for now, but phasing out the mugs for the QSDP.)

I think that this is a good way to cut down on the abuse of the system. It won't stop some people from trying (and possibly find a way to succeed) though. On my last trip, I saw way too many people bringing their 32oz travel mugs from their home convenience store or empty bottles/cups/etc. or old Length-of-Stay mugs to fill up to "save money."

If this doesn't work, they could, and very possibly would, remove ALL the refill stations and force you to purchase every drink.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    Our reservation has the free refillable mug thing listed, does that mean they give us the mug and we purchase the refills? Never had this before.
    If you are on a dining plan, the mug is included with free refills for your length of stay. You will NOT have to purchase refills.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

bummer, I'm one of the cheapies that still uses the mug I got way back when in 1995, when I was told and it has worked , that it would be free forever. there's no expiration day on it. I guess I made out on that so If I have to pay, I'm ahead so far!
    fw 75-80-85-90
    cbr 95-98-01
    pofq-02-05-09-13-15
    disney wonder aug 08
    Disneyland Mar 18
    Contemporary Dec 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I would love it if they would include the Parks in it too ... but I know that will most likely never happen (or only at a much higher price).

We've had the mug on a lot of trips, and not on some ... and it really didn't make a difference. It was just as cheap to grab a case of water and some pop from Walmart and have it in the room.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Another site currently has the price of a single soda fountain drink from the beverage machine at the resorts at $2.59. The cost of the refillable mug is listed as $15.49 now. I think a jump of $2.50 for the new mug is a bit high.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    All I can say is--leave it to Disney World to even further complicate an already muddled system.
    You got that right!

Post Thanks / Like

On the Disney blog regarding this announcement a commenter who is on the Disney finance team talked about this in terms of theft and how theft has been on the rise in food courts. Not just in terms of beverages (probably a negligible loss) but in terms of more theft of food court food. That's pretty slimy.

Could you imagine the embarrassment in front of your kids if WDW security nabbed you for lifting a sandwich??
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And I'm hoping they did away with only being able to get one refill in a certain time period that they was in the original test?
    My understanding is that was done away with. That was one of the big flops from the original test so it won't be an issue this go round.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

This, IMHO, is totally outlandish. WDW gets all of their fountain drinks for free from the Coca Cola company....that's right FREE. No cost...nada! They talk about food court theft...what about the theft of your mugs now....because they now will have valueduring your stay...you won't be able to leave them unattended while in the pool or enjoying another activity for fear of loss...then what....are they gonna believe it was stolen and issue you another?

And lastly, we all know that technology isn't always reliable. Can you imagine the chaos at at refill station if the "reader" is on the fritz? OMG....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Disney World but isn't this just a little too much...really?

Thanks for letting me vent...
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    I would love it if they would include the Parks in it too ... but I know that will most likely never happen (or only at a much higher price).
    I'm sure your probably right about the higher price thing...but unless I am already hauling a backpack/diaperbag/etc ...carrying a drink mug around all day through the parks would be too much of a hassle to me...and thus subsequently have little impact on my drink mug purchase decisions.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I think that increase is a little steep. It may be alright if you get it as part of your dining plan or have an extended stay.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I'm sure your probably right about the higher price thing...but unless I am already hauling a backpack/diaperbag/etc ...carrying a drink mug around all day through the parks would be too much of a hassle to me...and thus subsequently have little impact on my drink mug purchase decisions.
    Ditto on this! We only purchased a mug on our first trip so my DH could get coffee of a morning; we never want to carry ANYTHING into the parks and I never wanted to try to keep track of a mug.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Anything for guests with an AP?