Quantcast Rumor: WDW Hotel Pools to be locked at 10pm

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumor: WDW Hotel Pools to be locked at 10pm

Saw this rumor on another site that the pools will now be closed and locked when the lifeguards are not on duty.
    Interesting since the quiet pools do not have lifeguards.

Can anyone verify?

We love night swims - so this would be a major bummer for us.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Although I know at any off property hotel we've stayed at, all the pools close at 9 or 10pm. And those don't have life gaurds at all.

I wonder how Disney would enforce it. Other than having a Cast Member walk around every hour or so.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not heard any rumors of that sort but it wouldn't surprise me. There have been 3 or 4 drowning deaths recently in WDW resort pools after lifeguard hours. For liability and safety reasons they could very much be considering doing this, but don't believe anything until Disney actually announces it. People throw out Disney rumors all the time that have no clue what they're talking about.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this on another site as well. According to that, all pools will be fenced and locked after hours starting in November, from 11 pm to 7 am.

I can't see it being visually appealing though? Wouldn't it be better just to say no swimming allowed during certain hours and do some video surveillance or post a guard, something subtle and not as visually distracting as an actual locked fence. Locked fences don't always stop people and it would be costly to actually fence all the pools, though any solution to this is potentially costly.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post

I can't see it being visually appealing though? Wouldn't it be better just to say no swimming allowed during certain hours and do some video surveillance or post a guard, something subtle and not as visually distracting as an actual locked fence. Locked fences don't always stop people and it would be costly to actually fence all the pools, though any solution to this is potentially costly.
    I totally agree with you Sherri! While there are some places that a fence could be blended in to the scenery (CR), there are others where it would be an eyesore (WL,Poly,VWL) because of lack of surrounding space.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

The pools at the resorts at Disneyland all are fenced and locked, and they aren't dealing with a ton of space either. I've never thought it looks bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this too. The post said there will be fences going up.

24 days!!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    The pools at the resorts at Disneyland all are fenced and locked, and they aren't dealing with a ton of space either. I've never thought it looks bad.
    Thanks, Melanie. Good to know. It's Disney, so I'm sure they find a way.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Understandable, but too bad.... when will companies decide they don't have to keep protecting people from themselves?? If there's no lifeguard, you swim under your own risk, just like at the ocean, or lakes. I'll be sad to see this happen.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Aw man! I don't necessarily like going for a night time swim but it's nice to sit at the tables by the pool in the evening. I can't imagine they would fence in all the pools. That is a heck of a lot of construction. Logistically, if you block off the pools at the Value Resorts, for example, you're closing off a whole lot of walking space for people to get back to their rooms.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the pools at AoA are already fenced in and even need your room key to gain access. They would definitely need to work out the logistics at some of the resorts (Pop pool would be difficult unless they redid the walkways) but if its worth enough $$ from an insurance standpoint then they will probably do it eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing signs up at Wilderness Lodge the last time we stayed there (several years ago). The signs said "Pool closed". Regardless of the signs, there were always a number of folks still in the water.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

They added a fence and secured access at YBC several years ago and it looks fine. Hopefully they will figure out a fencing system that still fits the resort theme.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Even without fences I'm sure the pools are monitored on security cameras so it wouldn't take long to send someone from security to get people out.

Too bad for those who like a late evening swim, but given the recent after-hours drownings you can see why they would do it. The risk of lawsuit and the bad headlines from the drownings themselves certainly outweigh (in Disney's mind at least) the benefit to the small number of people who would swim that late. Doing it as winter approaches would also make sense as less people would be likely to complain than if they did this in June.

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Understandable, but too bad.... when will companies decide they don't have to keep protecting people from themselves?? If there's no lifeguard, you swim under your own risk, just like at the ocean, or lakes. I'll be sad to see this happen.
    I want to say that there is some State law that Disney has managed to work around up to this point -I'm not sure if it is that or something else convincing them to comply. Either way, I'm certain that any required fencing will be landscaped away for the most part -leaving it barely noticeable.

And I believe it is more than just innocent swimming that is concerning Disney and bringing this on.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so this is confirmed now. The regular pools will operate 7 am to 11 pm during peak season, with hours varying the rest of the year depending on the season. But they will only be open with a lifeguard present. Outside of lifeguard hours the pools will be absolutely closed. No "swim at your own risk."

However, the quiet pools will continue to operate 24 hours with no lifeguard. So, quiet pools are unaffected.

This will start to go into effect Oct 1, but the full transition won't be complete until November.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    However, the quiet pools will continue to operate 24 hours with no lifeguard. So, quiet pools are unaffected.

This will start to go into effect Oct 1, but the full transition won't be complete until November.
    I think that's fair -and probably a good idea from Disney's perspective.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Okay, so this is confirmed now. The regular pools will operate 7 am to 11 pm during peak season, with hours varying the rest of the year depending on the season. But they will only be open with a lifeguard present. Outside of lifeguard hours the pools will be absolutely closed. No "swim at your own risk."

Ummmmmmm......are the quiet pools somehow safer?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    If I remember correctly (and I'm not 100% sure) I don't think the quiet pools are as deep. Other than that, no.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: