Quantcast New Refillable Mug Program - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I agree with Aurora. How can this be confusing? You either buy the cup, you don't buy the cup or you get it free with your dining plan. And there's nothing confusing about walking to the drink station and filling your cup, whether there's a chip on it or not. I cannot imagine this impacting our trips at all.
    Really? And you think it will work as planned on paper since everything does all the time?
    It will be confusing for new-comers or only-timers. There will be failures and simple soda dispensing will get frustrating. Don't understand how it could not be for folks who don't know any better.

May2013 trip my account was paired with a "magic-band" that didn't exist. I didn't know and neither did the folks who checked us in at our resort. As a result my KTTW was not working for the DP we had paid for. Found out that each time I attempted to use it, once I started paying attention to the receipts I was given, that I was being charged on our CC attached to the room. Finally after 4 attempts to use the KTTW card for our DP at different eating places we decided to try the wife's KTTW card. IT WORKED as it should and the receipt showed it correctly. So we had to have our charges to the room refunded and ALL the DP food NOW charged against our DP account. Only way to fix 100% was to cancel our trip and rebook. RIGHT, we were already there and into the trip 2 days.

YES it was frustrating and cost us time as WE figured out was the issue. AND when we tried to explain it to the concierge at our resort they DID NOT believe us until I produced the receipts from each food place showing I was charged on my CC and the CC PLATE was not used. They brought up our account on the screen and validated our claim that we were mis-charged our meals. So why didn’t they believe us? Because it works 100% of the time flawlessly??? WE knew how the system should work since this was not our first rodeo... Did it sour us? Not once they fixed it. What do you think would have happened to a once-in-a-life-timer? Think they will return from their vacation with happy thoughts? Or tell everyone what a mess their DP was. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! STUPID DP!!!

Saying there will be no confusion is plain nieve. Any time technology steps in to regulate an issue with abuse there will be issues.

You have FAST PASS for your state turnpike tolls? Work all the time? Prolly not... I've had many credits refunded to me on my account as the pass did not work and my account was overcharged since it snapped my plate pic and said I didn’t have the FAST PASS and ran thru the toll booth. I check my account monthly for flaws and mis-charges.

Yes, once-in-a-life-timers will be frustrated when there magical vacation won't feed them the POP/SODA they want when they want it. The chip-in-the-cup will misfires or the dispenser will from consumer abuse. Time lost vs. the old refillable cups at will.

Do I understand why Disney is doing this? YES. And I have no problem paying, always have, for what I want.
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    Last time I checked parking is part of your resort price, it is in the fine print somewhere. So "Free parking" was never free.

I don't have a problem per say with the new mug thing except the price is a bit high IMHO. Also on my last trip when I stayed at WL the soda machine was empty 60% of the time, it was just spitting out seltzer. Any cost of the mug really isn't worth it if the product is not available.

20 oz refills????? That cup holds 20 oz really?? time for an experiment!
    You are prolly right on the parking. I book thru MJ and I don't see a total break down of ALL charges for what they are for. So parking to me is absorbed in the TOTAL outlaying of cash for our vacation.

LUCKY for US - the fine ladies at MJ do a great job!!! Each year we track our vacation budget and usually its very very close to what we spend each year from year to year. So they must be doing something right! WE LOVE MJ!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
    Really? And you think it will work as planned on paper since everything does all the time?
    It will be confusing for new-comers or only-timers. There will be failures and simple soda dispensing will get frustrating. Don't understand how it could not be for folks who don't know any better.

May2013 trip my account was paired with a "magic-band" that didn't exist. I didn't know and neither did the folks who checked us in at our resort. As a result my KTTW was not working for the DP we had paid for. Found outu that each time I attempted to use it, once I started paying attention to the receipts I was given, that I was being charged on our CC attached to the room. Finally after 4 attempts to use the KTTW card for our DP at different eating places we decided to try the wife's KTTW card. IT WORKED as it should and the receipt showed it correctly. So we had to have our charges to the room refunded and ALL the DP food NOW charged against our DP account. Only way to fix 100% was to cancel our trip and rebook. RIGHT, we were already there and into the trip 2 days.

YES it was frustrating and cost us time as WE figured out was the issue. AND when we tried to explain it to the concierge at our resort they DID NOT believe us until I produced the receipts from each food place showing I was charged on my CC and the CC PLATE was not used. They brought up our account on the screen and validated our claim that we were mis-charged our meals. So why didn’t they believe us? Because it works 100% of the time flawlessly??? WE knew how the system should work since this was not our first rodeo... Did it sour us? Not once they fixed it. What do you think would have happened to a once-in-a-life-timer? Think they will return from their vacation with happy thoughts? Or tell everyone what a mess their DP was. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! STUPID DP!!!

Saying there will be no confusion is plain nieve. Any time technology steps in to regulate an issue with abuse there will be issues.

You have FAST PASS for your state turnpike tolls? Work all the time? Prolly not... I've had many credits refunded to me on my account as the pass did not work and my account was overcharged since it snapped my plate pic and said I didn’t have the FAST PASS and ran thru the toll booth. I check my account monthly for flaws and mis-charges.

Yes, once-in-a-life-timers will be frustrated when there magical vacation won't feed them the POP/SODA they want when they want it. The chip-in-the-cup will misfires or the dispenser will from consumer abuse. Time lost vs. the old refillable cups at will.

Do I understand why Disney is doing this? YES. And I have no problem paying, always have, for what I want.
    Actually, until Disney " technology" has blown up in your face (as it did to us on our last trip....repeatedly) you cant understand how frustrating it is. The blind will continue to trust the computers....but, unfortunately, we know better.....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! We're actually going through this very thing right now with the state of Pennsylvania. And I think this is a very good example of how all this technology is supposed to work, but doesn't always and problems arise.

I also don't think it will be as simple as choose your mug, pay for your days, fill your drink, enjoy.

All of this stuff makes my head hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    All of this stuff makes my head hurt.
    Which is why I drink tap water and hot coffee. I don't do the mugs anyway.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Which is why I drink tap water and hot coffee. I don't do the mugs anyway.
    True, and I'm the same way now, but I was actually speaking to ALL the RFID stuff. My brain is not equipped to handle all this.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I cant see us drinking enough soda to make it worth it. BTW, the mugs are probably 20 oz without ice....add ice, subtract half...

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    True, and I'm the same way now, but I was actually speaking to ALL the RFID stuff. My brain is not equipped to handle all this.
    RFID is not a new technology it is used in everyday life for millions of people (for example my work ID to get in the office or credit cards that are "tap to pay"). The technology isn't new but the way it is being implemented by Disney is new. Will there be problems? Yes of course there will be, but a majority of the time the technology will work without issues.

Also I don't think this will impact "once in a life time guests" as much as some might think. Mainly because they don't have a point of reference.

I wonder if the internet/message boards existed back in the 80's if people would have complained about Disney doing away with the ride tickets and going to a flat rate ticket?
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

last trip was my first time booking DP. I used my cup for morning coffee and at night for our drinks after parks (mostly iced tea). i still think its worth it to not have to purchase night time drinks but im a simple person.
    WDW November 7, 1989 - off site
    WDW November 2002 - off site
    WDW November 4-12, 2012 - AOA
    WDW November 8-16, 2017 - AOA
    WDW December 3-10, 2020 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

I understand it's not new. I had an RFID chip in my Tampa Bay Lightning jersey 2 years ago to get a discount on food/beverages and apparel. I get it.

People have been complaining for years about how complicated a WDW vacation is. All this makes it even more so. Just my opinion. With everything factored in (ADRs 180 days out, dining plan or no dining plan, free dining, FP+, etc), I just don't think it should be so detailed and complicated to go on vacation.

I will say I like the tap to pay and tap to get in your room (which is also not a new thing in the hotel industry, by any means).

I wonder if the internet/message boards existed back in the 80's if people would have complained about Disney doing away with the ride tickets and going to a flat rate ticket?
    Probably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brie9877 View Post
    i still think its worth it to not have to purchase night time drinks but im a simple person.
    Honestly, you're the type of person Disney is counting on - wanting simple/convenience and not worried about if it's a "value" or not. Pretty much everyone who has ever crunched the numbers has figured out the DDP is no longer a good value. You can do MUCH better paying oop, but some people want to have their meals pre-paid, not have to think about prices when they order, etc. and don't care if it's more expensive than what it would have been had they paid when they ordered. I think the mug is pretty much the same issue. If you're pinching pennies and looking for value, avoid the mug, avoid the DDP. If you're looking for convenience, then use them both.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

You are prolly right on the parking. I book thru MJ and I don't see a total break down of ALL charges for what they are for. So parking to me is absorbed in the TOTAL outlaying of cash for our vacation.
    umm folks parking isn't absorbed into the price, this is taken directly from the WDW Website

Resort Hotel Guests
    Parking is complimentary for Disney Resort hotel Guests with a valid Key to the World Card or Resort Parking Permit.

Annual and Premium Passholders, in addition to Disney Premier Passport holders, can park at no additional charge.

if it were absorbed they would have to break it out on an invoice to show you what exactly your paying for and every Resort Invoice that i get it never ever shows parking on it. i've also asked the cm's and more than once have they told me that parking is complimentary. anyway this is getting off the huge mug concerns
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post

Also I don't think this will impact "once in a life time guests" as much as some might think. Mainly because they don't have a point of reference.
    So giving a "one time guest" a frustrating and confusing experience is ok because they dont have a point of reference? Sounds like a way to make sure they are only a "one time guest..." Just saying...

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckUSA View Post
    It seems like every decision requires a spreadsheet and a million variables.

......but I think my point still stands. EVERYTHING is about a spreadsheet. I need to hire an accountant for my Disney vacations. haha.
    As a retired accountant this is why I love my Disney spreadsheets, they take up tons of time which keeps me out of the bars.

Once again it cracks me up that we are again going on about the dumb mugs. Oh yeah and there's another discussion about them over in dining. And I have posted in both. I need a life.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Honestly, you're the type of person Disney is counting on - wanting simple/convenience and not worried about if it's a "value" or not. Pretty much everyone who has ever crunched the numbers has figured out the DDP is no longer a good value. You can do MUCH better paying oop, but some people want to have their meals pre-paid, not have to think about prices when they order, etc. and don't care if it's more expensive than what it would have been had they paid when they ordered. I think the mug is pretty much the same issue. If you're pinching pennies and looking for value, avoid the mug, avoid the DDP. If you're looking for convenience, then use them both.
    Don't get me wrong, im not an automaton, right now it suits my needs, if it doesnt suite my needs in the future i obviously wont "go with the flow"
    WDW November 7, 1989 - off site
    WDW November 2002 - off site
    WDW November 4-12, 2012 - AOA
    WDW November 8-16, 2017 - AOA
    WDW December 3-10, 2020 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Reading through all of this I was thinking, "Screw the mug! I'll just buy some extra bottles of Diet Coke and keep it cold in my room fridge!"

... oh wait.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckUSA View Post
    I'm not going to blow up about Disney changing another service. I just want to share some thoughts.

You know, it just baffles me how much you "need to know" for a Disney vacation. It seems like every decision requires a spreadsheet and a million variables.

Seriously, first time guests have to make a decision about the most affordable way to have a drink at the resort, weighing how often they'll be at the resort, how many refills a day they'll need, if the beverages they drink are included (is juice included? is it just soda? what about coffee?), and then balance that against the cost without the mugs. Who wants to put THAT much decision making into drinking a coke. Are we going to start tracking the average amounts of sodas we drink in a day to factor that into our pre-trip planning? I'm speaking in hyperbole here, but I just want to make the point that we're having a conversation about SODA PLANNING.

I guess if you're getting a meal plan, it's included, but I think my point still stands. EVERYTHING is about a spreadsheet. I need to hire an accountant for my Disney vacations. haha.

I get that Disney is all about "Innovations" and "technology," but that used to mean great inventions to change society like a monorails, not a chip in a cup. Does this make anyone else sad?

DBF and I almost never stay on site because we're Florida residents on a tight budget. This used to make me a little sad that we couldn't afford to stay on site, but now I'm honestly a little grateful.
    Just had to respond to this, Disney is counting on the vast majority of people not doing spreed sheets. They expect that most people don't know the true cost of their vacation until afterwards (first time I went I didn't). A good many people are caught unawares or just don't care. They are on vacation. That said most of us on this site seem to have to account for every dollar (myself included). Therefore we try to get the most bang for our buck and research every part of our trip. I believe that would be true no matter where we stayed. I know if I was going to the beach or New York city I would look at the cost of everything. But that is just who I am and the same is true for others. I have even looked into the costs of staying offsite but it just wouldn't work for my family. So yeah its Disney its expensive but so are a lot of other places. Some of us are just better at planning (like you). Not trying to insult you I think you feel a lot like I do and don't want to just throw money away.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    As a retired accountant this is why I love my Disney spreadsheets, they take up tons of time which keeps me out of the bars.

Once again it cracks me up that we are again going on about the dumb mugs. Oh yeah and there's another discussion about them over in dining. And I have posted in both. I need a life.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I think part of my objection to all of this is that not only do I think the Disney computer team isnt up to the task (sorry if any are reading this, but Im just going from personal experience. Feel free to prove me wrong) but I spent years learning the old Disney World way to do things and Im not sure it will be worth it to relearn everything..... Disneyland is still simple....

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    I think part of my objection to all of this is that not only do I think the Disney computer team isnt up to the task (sorry if any are reading this, but Im just going from personal experience. Feel free to prove me wrong) but I spent years learning the old Disney World way to do things and Im not sure it will be worth it to relearn everything..... Disneyland is still simple....
    Disneyland will change as well. The plan is have this be at every Disney Resort across the globe. They just decided to make their largest resort the guinea pig.

I dont think it is as complicated as some are making it be. It is just different and human beings inherently don't like change. I'm with holding judgment until I experience it myself.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: