Quantcast New Refillable Mug Program - Page 9

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    If the price of a small bottle of coke at a resort didn't induce sticker shock, people would be less inclined to cheat the system.

But they do start to "cheat" because they themselves feel like they're being gouged by the "standard" WDW price.

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Even more annoying than the abuse are the criminal prices Disney charges for food and beverage.
    I am requoting myself. (see above) Quadstriker is right. If people did not feel cheated, there would be no need to cheat.

Also, with all these changes, any chance I could possibly get a Dr. Pepper?
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    My only gripe is that in 1991 I was told that my drink mug would be good forever. Now, they have said that its not. If you want to change the rules, fine. But you cant break a standing agreement t do it. A deal is a deal.
    I agree with you that a deal is a deal, but let me ask you this. Have you personally checked with Disney and verified that they will not make allowances for the lifetime mugs? If so, then you have a legitimate complaint. However, I think it would be doable for them to make allowances for someone like yourself that has a lifetime mug to still be able to use it or something similar on future trips. I'm not sure how, I'm no technology expert, but I'm truly curious if they've told you specifically that if you brought that lifetime mug back that they would not honor it in some way, form, or fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    If you are trying to say people using older Disney mugs from trips past were abusing the system, they weren't... The mugs were "good forever" meaning buy one, use again and again even on upcoming trips... I am sure there were people using non-Disney mugs, and yes, those people were abusing the system... But people who were using the mugs purchased at the food courts/resorts were not...
    I don't buy that at all, that all, or most, or even a decent percentage of the people using old mugs were using the "good forever" kind. Let's be honest here, it's been almost twenty years since the lifetime mugs went away. I find it very hard to believe that very many people are still bringing them back for their free refills. That doesn't change the fact that those that are should have an allowance of some sort made to them, but I've personally seen a lot of mugs I know for a fact are not the lifetime type being reused (such as a design or two ago, after the lifetime guarantee).
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nascfan View Post
    I don't buy that at all, that all, or most, or even a decent percentage of the people using old mugs were using the "good forever" kind. Let's be honest here, it's been almost twenty years since the lifetime mugs went away. I find it very hard to believe that very many people are still bringing them back for their free refills. That doesn't change the fact that those that are should have an allowance of some sort made to them, but I've personally seen a lot of mugs I know for a fact are not the lifetime type being reused (such as a design or two ago, after the lifetime guarantee).
    I cannot speak for others, I can only speak for myself, but in 2002 I was told the mug I purchased at Caribbean Beach Food Court was good fro my length of stay that trip and future trips... yes, as late as 2002... I still have that mug... So, if the mug policy was stopped 20 years ago (around 1993), then the CM was wrong for telling me 10 years later my 2002 mug was good for future trips..

I cannot state I know for a fact the "lifetime" mug ended 20 years ago since 1) I don't know that to be true, and 2) in 2002 I was told differently... So, if others were told the same thing I was (BTW I asked, they did not volunteer the information), then anyone returning in the future was not abusing the system... They were only doing what they were told was okay, using mugs bought on one trip during future trips...

What I do not buy is the fact that there was major wide spread abuse of the system... I'm not saying there wasn't abuse... I just don't believe the abuse by Disney mug owning people was as bad as people here make it sound... I do believe there were more people abusing it who never once purchased one of the mugs, instead using water bottles or their own cups... And yes, Disney CMs should have been allowed to stop any guest who abused the system in such a way... too bad management never let CMs actually stop guests from doing wrong for fear of losing a customer... Instead, a bean counter finds a way to pad the bottom line, management loves it since it benefits them and not the guest, and now punishes any loyal Disney guest (i.e. those who purchased mugs as required) by making them buy one again...

This is WDW in 2013... Remove guests benefits and perks and park offerings (entertainment, rides, dining), raise prices, and make sure to always increase that bottom line...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot speak for others, I can only speak for myself, but in 2002 I was told the mug I purchased at Caribbean Beach Food Court was good fro my length of stay that trip and future trips... yes, as late as 2002... I still have that mug... So, if the mug policy was stopped 20 years ago (around 1993), then the CM was wrong for telling me 10 years later my 2002 mug was good for future trips..

I do believe there were more people abusing it who never once purchased one of the mugs, instead using water bottles or their own cups... And yes, Disney CMs should have been allowed to stop any guest who abused the system in such a way... too bad management never let CMs actually stop guests from doing wrong for fear of losing a customer...
    Now that is very interesting. I remember in 2001 being told by a CM that our mug was only good for length of stay. So one of us was definitely given wrong information, that is for sure. I don't remember what we were told in 1997 (our first visit as a family), so I was guesstimating the lifetime ending certainly around then, which would put it at close to 20 years ago, 16 or 17 to be exact, so rounded off. We also have one of the mugs from 2001, but it's so faded and worn that I couldn't tell if there was writing on it about length of stay or not, so I can just report what we were told, same as you.

I absolutely agree with the second part of the quote above...CM's definitely should have been able to stop abuse right then and there, and it's a shame management wouldn't take the lead and/or back them up.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nascfan View Post

I still use our WL mugs when we stay there. The original mugs were much better and came in 2 sizes. The big one holds about 20 oz and was made by thermos, the smaller one was about 8oz coffee style. I use them at home and they're still in great shape.

Now, you may see me at others resorts with my big mug but rest assured I'm not using it at the refill stations. In the morning I make my own coffee in the villa and afternoons by the pool it's probably an adult beverage.

As far as the ending date for the lifetime mugs it was implemented on a resort by resort basis as they ran out of their supply and the new supply was introduced with the length of stay printing. This seems to have taken place starting late 2000 through 2002. This was addressed way back when right here on INTERCOT.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

It just goes to show how the waters get muddied when they don't enforce their own rules, to the point where CMs don't even know the rules!

I was under the impression that under the old system, when mugs were resort-specific, that they were refillable for life at that resort only. When they started changing over to the generic mugs, it became length of stay (although even this was unclear. I had a CM tell me once we could bring it back until the design changed).

With all of this conflicting info it's very possible many of the so-called 'abusers' thought they were in the right. Now, refilling a child's sippy cup or a mug from home is a big in my opinion, but I've never witnessed that myself. I've only read about it here (although I believe it happens). Even so, again what this boils down to in my opinion is pinching pennies.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    As far as the ending date for the lifetime mugs it was implemented on a resort by resort basis as they ran out of their supply and the new supply was introduced with the length of stay printing. This seems to have taken place starting late 2000 through 2002. This was addressed way back when right here on INTERCOT.
    Thanks for the clarification Lyn. Apparently both DizneyFreak2002 and I may very well have been told the correct thing by two differenct CM's as we were at two different resorts at two different times. Oy, no wonder people could be confused!

Bottom line though, I still stand by my original statement that most people have not been using lifetime mugs, certainly not within the last few years or so. I'm sure a fair amount could have been confused and thinking they were, ala Maryanne above, but I'm still of the opinion that the vast majority were just using previous, non-lifetime mugs because they could.
    I also stand by Stu29573, and Lyn, and anyone else that truly has a usable lifetime mug that Disney should make an allowance of some sort for these people and offer a viable solution.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Not all older Disney mugs are "forever" mugs- many of them are "length of stay" Disney mugs. I have a POR mug from 2006 that say "good for the length of your stay" on the side near the handle. Therefore, I use it as the souvenir that it was intended to be and use it for my morning coffee. But that's at least 6 years (not sure how many years previous that was instituted) worth of length of stay mugs that are potentially being reused.

From a pure academic standpoint, I'd be interested to see a breakdown on Disney mugs and the percentage of forever vs length of stay - I'm betting the forever mugs are not the majority of mugs still in circulation. I'm guessing the true level of beverage abuse is higher than you think it is, but lower than Disney says it is.

The RFID system had to cost Disney a fair chunk of change- which also cuts into their profit. Someone was able to convince TPTB that the cost of installing RFID and redesigning the mugs was less than what they were "losing" through mug abuse, and I seriously doubt that the $$ "lost" through true forever mugs is that significant.

If you are trying to say people using older Disney mugs from trips past were abusing the system, they weren't... The mugs were "good forever" meaning buy one, use again and again even on upcoming trips... I am sure there were people using non-Disney mugs, and yes, those people were abusing the system... But people who were using the mugs purchased at the food courts/resorts were not...

Let's really call this what it is... Management needing to artificially increase bottom line numbers/profits to justify their huge bonuses while the parks continue to remain stagnant and less than magical...
    Last edited by tgmousechick; 07-19-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typos!
    Next up: Sept 2013- Beach Club!
    May 10- Girl's Weekend- POP
    March 09- Poly
    May 06: Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 98: Wilderness Lodge
    March 93: Carribean Beach Resort (Aruba)
    Nov 91: Ft. Wilderness; Several Thanksgivings @ Ft. Wilderness, 86-89
    Dec 84: Off-site (Econo Lodge, Kissimmee)

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the taking of the beverages that is costing Disney, it's the not selling a new mug that is. This new system will definitely be a Cha-Ching for profit!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    It's not the taking of the beverages that is costing Disney, it's the not selling a new mug that is. This new system will definitely be a Cha-Ching for profit!
    Very very true! As I have said before, the beverages cost less than a paper cup on average.... Thats why so many places give free refills. It really doeant cost them anything. Its the mug that generates the profit....NOT the drink!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

So what you're saying is that Disney is trying to make a profit?
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    So what you're saying is that Disney is trying to make a profit?
    So you're saying that Disney is so hard up that they need to gouge "guests" on an item that they can get for free at the local Arby's? If refills are going to sink a corporation, you need to dump that stock NOW. Disney used to actually consider customers "guests." Now "mark" would probably be a better term....

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    So you're saying that Disney is so hard up that they need to gouge "guests" on an item that they can get for free at the local Arby's? If refills are going to sink a corporation, you need to dump that stock NOW. Disney used to actually consider customers "guests." Now "mark" would probably be a better term....
    Do you mean that "free" soda that Arby's charges you $1.50+ for and lets you get refills on if you happen to be dining in? If $18 is for a souvenir mug and at least four days of beverages is being "gouged" then just don't buy it. This "mark" is just not as worried about it as some.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    If $18 is for a souvenir mug and at least four days of beverages is being "gouged" then just don't buy it. This "mark" is just not as worried about it as some.
    Not being worried about it doesn't make it right. I can choose to turn a blind eye too, but I'm afraid that the pixie dust is wearing a bit thin at WDW...or it is costing a bit much. I was always Disney's biggest defender, but after our last "less than magical" trip, I'm seeing that the Mouse has no clothes... or problem with nickel and diming "marks" to death. Disney may not owe me anything, but in that same vein, I dont owe them blind adoration either. Feel free to do as you wish, of course....

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    It just goes to show how the waters get muddied when they don't enforce their own rules, to the point where CMs don't even know the rules!

I was under the impression that under the old system, when mugs were resort-specific, that they were refillable for life at that resort only. When they started changing over to the generic mugs, it became length of stay (although even this was unclear. I had a CM tell me once we could bring it back until the design changed).
    I can agree with this point, although, on our first stay in Sept. 2003, we got the Caribbean Beach mugs and they actually had notation on them - vertically along the handle - that they were Length Of Stay only. These were Resort Specific mugs. (My ex gave them away after we got home!! )
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

My Carribean Beach mug (that I realized I got in 1995, not 1991) doesn't say anything about "length of stay" or "resort specific." That was actually the big selling point at the time; you could use it forever and at any resort... Guess I missed that "not really" at the bottom of the sign...

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I can agree with this point, although, on our first stay in Sept. 2003, we got the Caribbean Beach mugs and they actually had notation on them - vertically along the handle - that they were Length Of Stay only. These were Resort Specific mugs. (My ex gave them away after we got home!! )
    My Caribbean Beach much from 2002 (yes I still have it, call me a hoarder LOL), is not resort specific and does not have any notation on the the mug at all... Must be a lifetime mug...

However, my Pop Century mug from 2006/2008 time frame is resort specific and does state the mug is only good for length of stay... Since yours has the writing and is resort specific, 2003 must have been when they started length of stay only... Gee, I have one of the last lifetime mugs... Wonder what the rubes would pay me for it on eBay???

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Free Mug

Personally I don't have a problem with the refillable mug, we actually enjoy it. Since our last four (4) trips have been under the FREE DINING Program, OUR mugs were also Free. I will add that it doesn't stop here, recently at the Hospital Food Court in one of larger cities I witnessed the cashier chase down a nicely dressed lady only to ask if she just got a refill on her drink? When she said yes, the cashier told her it would be .27 cents. No refillable mugs here in NC.
    I'll be glad to use mine in October!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwaggie View Post
    That's just it folks, finally call it what it is...abuse of a system. Blame Disney all you want to, but until people start playing by the rules, they are doing what they feel is necessary to combat the abuse of some pretty pathetic people. Disney could elect to give away the mugs to every guest and give the drinks away for free, but then people would start bringing empty milk jugs from home and filling them up to take back home...I'm all for saving money, but folks, quit being cheap. If you can afford to come to Disney every year or two-three times a year that some of you say you do, then you can afford to pay to refill your mug.
    I think the biggest bone of contention about the new system is not the cost but how overly complicated it sounds like it will be. At least that's what the issue is for me.

BTW, we bought some of those old "free refills for life" mugs many years ago and never brought them back on subsequent trips to WDW. It was always fun to buy a new resort-specific mug each trip, especially when staying at a new resort! But they did away with that incentive a several years ago when they started selling the same generic mugs at all the resorts. Boring.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    BTW, we bought some of those old "free refills for life" mugs many years ago and never brought them back on subsequent trips to WDW. It was always fun to buy a new resort-specific mug each trip, especially when staying at a new resort! But they did away with that incentive a several years ago when they started selling the same generic mugs at all the resorts. Boring.
    You and many other people who have bought the life time mugs never brought them back on future visits which is why I say it isn't a big issue as people on here are making it sound... This is simply management looking to squeeze more money from your pocket... Today's Disney is not about providing more toward the guest experience... Today's Disney is all about bottom lines, increased profits, higher stock prices while offering less to the guests and making things ever so complicated, just as long as the bottom line benefits... Sad thing is, people defend them... And we wonder why TDO treats guests like rubes? Most are...

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: