Quantcast RUMOR: Captain EO To Depart/Imagination Closing - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    Oh I just remembered - as a Kodak employee (I worked there in 2002) - I got to go into the VIP lounge next to Captain EO (was Honey I Shrunk the Audience at that time).

It was losing its lustre then, but you could see at one time it was swanky. They had photos in notebooks of MJ at the opening of Captain EO, free drinks and a nice place to rest during the pre-show.

You went down the back steps 5 minutes before the door opened to the show - so it was nice to skip the line (at the time that show was popular).

Supposedly, all the other pavilions have VIP sections too.

I wonder during all these rehabs, if the VIP areas remain?
    As a former Epcot CM, yes and no. For instance, I would walk by Test Track most days and past the backstage door for the lounge for GM people where I would occasionally see people file in and out of there. Others, such as the Seas haven't been used in years.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The VIP lounge for The Seas is constantly in use for private functions, weddings, meetings, and the like. It has a great and rarely seen view if the aquarium

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip309 View Post
    The VIP lounge for The Seas is constantly in use for private functions, weddings, meetings, and the like. It has a great and rarely seen view if the aquarium
    It was, in fact, used by INTERCOT for the breakfast meet during our 15th anniversary get-together last October. It was very nice indeed.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that it is a long dark ride with something to learn. Something like Horizons or World Of Motion. Too many short cuts and cheap looking attractions. We have enough thrills. How about something where you are learning but don't realize it?
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaredevil View Post
    I hope that it is a long dark ride with something to learn. Something like Horizons or World Of Motion. Too many short cuts and cheap looking attractions. We have enough thrills. How about something where you are learning but don't realize it?
    Apparently nobody wants that anymore. They want style over substance. Epcot is so generic these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyman42 View Post
    .......or they could turn it into a gift shop
    ...or another Starbucks
    "If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane."- Jimmy Buffett

Polynesian
    Treehouse Villas
    Caribbean Beach
    Beach Club
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club Villas
    Disneyland Hotel
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Boardwalk Villas
    Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, Tony Baxter has been "consulting" a tad bit on this project... Following the project along through the stages of development... Someone online mentioned Figment will still be a part of the attraction, how big of a part he didn't know...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    I'm pretty much good with anything that would bring back some real "imagination" to the place.

So as long as we're just speculating...

Since Kermit and the gang are apparently being evicted from Muppet Theatre, how about having them take up residence in the Imagination Pavilion, find and adopt into the family a certain purple dragon. Seems to me there's a lot of potential for some pretty imaginative stuff in this scenario. A ride, re-open the old (updated and re-themed) play area, and there's even a theater for a new Muppet 3D show!

Oh, and the Working Title is:
    Muppets Take Epcot

Any other ideas?

Steve
    I love this idea!!!
    23 Trips in 21 Years, Including 5 Disney Cruises, From Chicago
    Hopefully DisneyLAND summer 2014!
    DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

If they're not going to restore to original and re open the upstairs with the tunnel, Then I say get rid of it. They already got rid of the two best rides there, Horizons and WOM. Why not go for three?
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I cant help but feel that WDI lost focus on Epcot at about the same time they lost it for the Studios. What they seem to be missing is a overall consistant vision. Now they just plunk attractions down that they think people will like, with very little regard for message. People always flame folks who bring up the "What would Walt do?" idea, but at least that preserved focus. Walt Disney World has become Disneyland's ADD little brother.
    Rant over.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope they include Figment in the new ride. I do like Ian's idea of bringin back the Original Version with some updated technology of course
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't find my love for WDW until a few years ago, so I missed all the rides at Epcot that everyone says were the "best"...I hated Figment when I first saw him, and now...I love him. I like the current JiYi-because it is the only Imagination ride I have ever known-I will miss it as it is-but as long as Figment is around and they do it bigger and better-then I say go for it!!
    As for Captain EO-the one time I had to sit through it I found myself seriously considering if I could get the locking back off one of the pins on my bag so I could punture my own retina...Be Gone with it I say!

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I hope that it's not a complete return to the original. I've only seen it on youtube, and I don't see what everyone loved about it.
    I really don't think the Youtube videos do it any justice. You can't see most of it because of low lighting. The original had far more detail and imagination than the current one does. If brought back with new technology it would be amazing.

I can't help but smile very time I see Dreamfinder's flying machine in Mouse Gear.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    You know, I cant help but feel that WDI lost focus on Epcot at about the same time they lost it for the Studios. What they seem to be missing is a overall consistant vision. Now they just plunk attractions down that they think people will like, with very little regard for message. People always flame folks who bring up the "What would Walt do?" idea, but at least that preserved focus. Walt Disney World has become Disneyland's ADD little brother.
    Rant over.
    Yes. This!
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This may be horrible to say but although my entire life I have ever witnessed the new version with Figment I do not like the attraction very much. Some parts certainly surprised me as a little kid and I would love to see something new there.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    I really don't think the Youtube videos do it any justice. You can't see most of it because of low lighting. The original had far more detail and imagination than the current one does. If brought back with new technology it would be amazing.

I can't help but smile very time I see Dreamfinder's flying machine in Mouse Gear.
    About to stick my neck out here -- I liked the original fine; didn't love it, didn't hate it. But the beginning, with Dreamfinder in his flying machine talking ... and talking ... and incessantly talking, was one of the most deadly dull parts of any attraction in WDW for me. I couldn't WAIT for that part to be over. I found myself turning sideways and trying to figure out how many times the exit doors would pass by.

I managed not to experience the second incarnation of the ride, so I can't comment on that, but I do enjoy the current one more than the original. I figure I'm in the minority.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    You know, I cant help but feel that WDI lost focus on Epcot at about the same time they lost it for the Studios. What they seem to be missing is a overall consistant vision.
    On this I will say it's not WDI. WDI is a "consultant" hired by the parks to develop attactions. They can only do what they can with what they are given (time and money). In WDW's case, they don't give much and always tend to trim the budget as the project progresses.

Blame for Epcot and MGM lies 100% with WDWs management, not Burbank (unless you blame them for allowing this to continue to happen).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! If this is true, we'll NEVER break the record! DD18 and I ride Journey over and over (to the tune of 5 times in a row) while DH and DD13 go see Captain EO. We make it a goal to see how many times we can ride it while they see the show, always attempting to break that record.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I also miss the original Imagination.

Since we are on the subject, I like Test Track, but I miss the post-show area showing all of the futuristic car designs that they had back during the World of Motion days.

It goes without saying that I miss Horizons tremendously as so many of you also miss it.

I agree that Ellen definitely needs attention.

I always enjoyed the educational aspects of Living Seas.

I understand that pavilion/attraction sponsors have opinions and obviously, all it takes is for a new "corporate direction" to change/destroy a childhood memory, but it would be nice if there would be a more democratic way to decide the fate of such decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I know it's incredibly unlikely and I'm sure to be mocked for even suggesting it, but man would I love it if they brought the original back.
    I hope they do just that. Technology has improved drastically since then, so the massive rotating room with the dreamfinders airship might work!

And as much as people hate the current version of the pavillion it did have some small sparks of genius. Just as a whole the pavillion feels like it was rushed and done on the worlds smallest budget.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: