Quantcast EMH- Go or Avoid?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool EMH- Go or Avoid?

Extra MAGIC Hours both morning and evening. Does this help you decide WHICH Park to go to or which Park to avoid and why? Do you feel your getting more for your stay to attend or do you know it's gonna be more crowded (especially morning EMH) and you go/do elsewhere? We have NEVER done a morning, but have enjoyed a few extra hour in say MK and EPCOT after most non-resort guest have had to exit.
    See you all real soon!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the morning EMH to be worth it if you go early, especially MK. We try to leave the resort one hour before opening. Depending on buses that normally gets you there 30+ minutes before opening. You can get through security and then we eat our breakfast (granola bars or cherrios or fruit ) while waiting.

As soon as we get in, we go to Fantasyland and ride everything we are interested in and get fast passes.

After the first hour it can get very crowded so depending on the crowd, we sometimes switch parks around 11am.

Don't take advantage of the EMH in the evenings very often.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I have done both and definitely find them worth it. I think it all depends on which park & what you like for attractions (because only certain things are open). As a PP said, you can do a significant part of MK prior to the crowds rolling in if you get there even before the early entry rope drop. Also, I can say from experience, during the times of year that they offer late EMH at AK, the park is empty. We rode EE five times straight with literally no wait.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We've done both morning and evening EMH in the past, but now just do the morning ones, the evenings are just too busy, in general.

In the mornings you can get a fair bit done first thing, and then when it gets busy, we had back to the resort for lunch and a swim.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We do both BUT we rarely spend all day in that park. We normally get there 30 minutes before EMH starts and stay until noon or as late as 2pm. Just depends on the crowds. We normally go back to the room or hop to another park. Then we go to the EMH evening park after dinner so around 6 or 7pm. I normally schedule my days around EMH and we have always done well with that plan. Just really depends on your family. But I suggest avoiding EMH parks if you don't plan on using the extra hours.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, like others have said, if I don't plan on utilizing EMH, I will avoid that park that day. In the past I always tended to hit the evening EMH's, and almost never did mornings, though the studios was always so jam packed that I learned to just avoid that one. But MK and AK (when they did it) were always wonderful, and Epcot was worth doing too.
    Now with the changes that have happened since I've last been I would be rethinking my strategy should I ever return as a resort guest. What am I talking about?
    1) Splash Mountain being off of MK's evening EMH list
    2) Evening EMH's being cut back to 2 hours

Not only was Splash Mountain my #1 most favorite attraction to do during EMH (the ride always had the longest waits during the day, but was a walk on during the last part of EMH), but the last hour of EMH was always the best.
    As I stated in another topic, if the park closes at 11:00 to the general public, anyone from the general public who got in line at 10:59 will be allowed to ride. So if Space Mountain has a 60 minute wait at park close, it will not die down at all until at least the 2nd hour, so you'd waste half of your EMH doing one ride.
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do morning EMH, you must be there well before they open up. If you're not there before the rope drop, you would be better served kicking back for breakfast or a little more sleep (and avoiding that park that morning completely).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time of year

One other thing that can affect your EMH experience is the time of year. Since I always go off season I find EMH to never be to crowded. Its just a nice perk. Usually use evening because family likes to sleep late but will use one morning to do MK. I like to get a reservation for Crystal Palace before park opening. Main Street is almost empty, then after breakfast you line up near the area you want to go to first. As you are already in the park you can be nearly first for Space Mountain or Splash Mountain.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Take advantage of mornings

avoid evenings
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    One other thing that can affect your EMH experience is the time of year. Since I always go off season I find EMH to never be to crowded. Its just a nice perk. Usually use evening because family likes to sleep late but will use one morning to do MK. I like to get a reservation for Crystal Palace before park opening. Main Street is almost empty, then after breakfast you line up near the area you want to go to first. As you are already in the park you can be nearly first for Space Mountain or Splash Mountain.
    Very good point. Although strangely enough that AK multiple rides on EE experience came during May, which was a fairly busy time.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We love EMH evenings! They are usually crazy busy but we enjoy the park atmosphere at night! It is disappointing that EMH was cut back to 2 hours. That last hour was always the best!

Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

We love Morning EMH at the MK but will usually be out of there by 11:30 or so. We get sooooo much accomplished during this time. We will then park hop somewhere else. As for evening EMH, we only utilize them if we come back from another park and decide to hit the EMH park for a couple of hours just for fun.

We also utilize the idea of going to the park that had EMH the previous day, as that park tends to be a little less crowded, at least in our experience.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjmdds View Post
    We love Morning EMH at the MK but will usually be out of there by 11:30 or so. We get sooooo much accomplished during this time. We will then park hop somewhere else. As for evening EMH, we only utilize them if we come back from another park and decide to hit the EMH park for a couple of hours just for fun.

We also utilize the idea of going to the park that had EMH the previous day, as that park tends to be a little less crowded, at least in our experience.
    This is EXACTLY how we do it too! The day after evening EMH is the best!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

We used to do both morning and evening EMH, but as time has gone on, we've become very selective about which parks we attend. Evening EMH during the summertime no longer has much appeal to us, as it's just jammed everywhere late into the night. However, we still take advantage of early morning EMH at MK, AK and DHS. We will usually vacate these parks mid-morning, take a break and hit another park in the afternoon/evening - one that does not have late night magic hours. I concur with the idea of visiting the park which had late night EMH the evening before - many times these parks have been dead for us first thing in the morning.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

For us, it depends on which park has hours when:

Epcot or AK - we'll go regardless of the EMH, since crowds tends to be less there. (I expecially like Epcot evening EMH!)

MK - we're actually more likely to go the day AFTER evening EMH as most people we figure won't come back early the next day.

HS - we usually try to match up when Epcot is doing EMH so we can go to one park early, then walk to the other for the evening.

But honestly, we don't overplan, and just go with the flow. We are on vacation after all.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjmdds View Post

Yep, exactly. In that extra morning hour, we get so much done/ridden, and we're usually out of the park after eating lunch. We rarely use the evening EMH, partly because of crowds, but partly because we're usually too tired to enjoy it!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, for us being a group without kids, we prefer the late EMH as opposed to the morning. We have some people who are not too fond of rolling out of bed until 10, so early EMH is not practical for us. :/

However, late EMH have proven to be incredibly beneficial! We typically go in the off-season, so most things are a walk on in any park. Late EMH in HS is my favorite, although it is the busiest of the evening options! We do tend to avoid the park with early EMH during the day though- it has worked pretty well for us in the past.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We use both; which days depend on our touring plans. When our kids were very little, hitting Fantasyland for those first few hours literally made the rest of the vacation more relaxing.

Be aware that during busy times, a late decision may be made to open MK at 8 a.m. Check the printed park times on the map inserts and posted times at the resort. This happened to us on a recent family trip when the parks were packed all week, even at opening. Because many people didn't know about this added early hour (not EMH, just early park opening for all guests), MK was nearly empty.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

My family is not made of morning people so we usually build our park schedule around which parks have the EMH at night. The only EMH I'd recommend going to early in the morning for would be AK considering that park doesn't do nightly EMH. I've heard other families who do morning and then midday when the big crowds come in they go back to their hotel and nap/lounge around at the pool and return to the parks later on. Or you could do early EMH one day and late EMH another day. It's all up to you and your family.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have a hard-and-fast rule regarding EMH. We've found EMH days at Magic Kingdom to be nearly unnavigable as the day wears on. We have little kids, so we'll skip EMH at MK and try to visit it the next day.

We do take advantage of Evening EMH on the other parks, provided the kids are up to it.

When we were a couple of DINKs, we always took advantage of what was previously called E-nights at the Magic Kingdom. (I can't remember if we paid extra for it, but it was well worth it.)
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness