Quantcast Perfume for my wife....need some advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perfume for my wife....need some advice

I was hoping that I could get a little advice. I would like to buy some perfume for my wife but have absolutely no idea what to get her. She is not a big perfume person so I really don't know what she likes. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13
    BLT 8/23-31/14
    BLT 6/20-28/15
    GC DL 6/21-25/16
    BLT 8/26-9/3/17
    BLT 8/25-9/2/18
    BLT 8/24-9/1/19
    GF 8/28-9/5/21

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I like "Laila", they sell it in Norway at Epcot, if you've ever walked thru the store, you smell it immediately. You can order it online, also.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

I like Burberry Brit (Which they also happen to carry in the Great Britain pavilion in Epcot).
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

My signature fragrance is D&G Light Blue. I don't know if you can get it at Disney, but it can be bought at department stores and Sephora. I've even seen it at Target, which surprised me. However, being sold at Target did not mean the cost was any less.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Sephora or Ulta Beauty near you, they are great places to go in and explore scents. Sephora sells a great sampler that offers ten or twelve fragrance samples with a certificate for you to purchase the one you settle on. It's around $50 but you get some fairly sizable samples and then the large size of your choice at no extra cost. That could be the way to go because she can experiment at home with different scents.

You have a lovely idea, but perfume can be overpowering for lots of women and a very personal choice. It is very easy to choose a scent that clashes with her personal chemistry or taste. The same scent smells a bit different on every woman due to personal chemistry. For instance, above poster Genna's favorite Light Blue smells horrendous on me. I can't wear it. But I'm guessing it's lovely on her.

Also, do you know why she avoids perfume? Some scents bring on migraines for me, so the perfume counter is always a bit daunting. If it's just that she isn't sure what she likes or has never bothered, stick with a light, fresh scent like Clinique Happy. I also like Marc Jacobs Daisy and Chloe Love when I want something a little more noticeable. It helps to know if she prefers exotic, floral, or citrus based scents. Then you can ask the sales counter people to name some light scents in that family and help you choose. Good luck!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

If she likes simple scents, you might want to see if there is a Crabtree & Evelyn near you. They have very basic, natural scents like roses or lavender.

Post Thanks / Like

My signature scent is Ralph Lauren Romance. It's not too strong and not too fruity; very light and refreshing.
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    My signature fragrance is D&G Light Blue. I don't know if you can get it at Disney, but it can be bought at department stores and Sephora. I've even seen it at Target, which surprised me. However, being sold at Target did not mean the cost was any less.
    I'm also a huge fan of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. It's a light, fresh, citrus-y scent I wear all year long. I've been wearing it for about 12 years now.

I also love sweeter scents... My faves are Kat von D Saint, Prada Candy and Marchesa (all available at Sephora - the Kat von D is only sold at Sephora - I get tons of compliments on it).
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

It's very difficult to pick a fragrance for a person due to everyone's own personal preferences and individual body chemistry. My favorite is Alien by Thierry Mugler. It's in a dark purple bottle and they sell at Macys, Nordstrom and I think most Ulta stores have it now. Whenever I where it, people stop me to ask what it is and compliment it. I can't describe the scent but it's not too flowery. My husband bought me Givenchy once, and I had to bring it back. It just did nothing for me. Everyone's different though.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite right now is Jimmy Choo and victor Rolf flower bomb.

I agree with what others have said that perfume scents can vary depending on who is wearing it. Make sure that you purchase it some where that can be returned/exchanged if she does not like it or if it causes a reaction.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We keep thinking of her in our answers, but of course you have to like the scent, too.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think this would be a really hard thing to guess about. Perceptions about scents and fragrances are extremely subjective; what smells lovely to me (or you) might make someone else wrinkle their nose. Plus a lot of people are sensitive to perfumes; after years in healthcare where I couldn't wear perfume to work, I now think most perfumes smell too strong and prefer a lightly scented body spray.

Here's what I would do if I were you--get a a gift card at Sephora or Bath and Body Works, etc., and tuck it in a bouquet of roses. Write something romantic on the card, like "That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet" and let her pick out her own fragrance.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

My DGF likes the Givenchy Play for women. I found out last year they sell Givenchy in EPCOT. Not much of a discount but they offer body washes and such that I did not know about.
    As others have said go to a Sephora or like and try them out.

Family Trips (I was very young):
    80's - 90's Grand Floridian; Polynesian

May 2001 - All Star Sports
    2009; 2010; 2012; 2013 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is Angel it can be a bit strong at times for some people, but I find it so nice and it last all day. I also like Heavenly from Victoria Secrets it has a nice light scent I can handle that one all day too. Maybe try to look around her stuff (dresser, bathroom drawers) where ever she keeps her perfumes that she really wears and see what sent she likes i.e. soft, strong, flowery etc. I can only handle maybe two or three scents. The rest just give me bad headaches. So just make sure you hold on to the receipt incase she would like to change it. Good luck
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with a Gift Card!! Any major Department store has every fragrance known!

I'm a Clinique Happy Girl!!! Citrus and not overpowering! Love it!

Hey, Bath and Body has a Clean Citrus fragrance spray that is great too. For the price..you can't beat it.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I would kill my husband if he would buy me perfume without knowing what I can use. Just sayin'! My body chemistry makes about 90% of what is out there give me horrible headaches. He does know I can use Oscar by Oscar de la Renta so he will get that for me and continue to live. I would love a gift card from a department store and some flowers for just about any occasion.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

This has been very interesting for me to read. I don't wear perfume. I do use scented body wash but that's about it. I used to wear vanilla-scented body lotion which I guess is similar to a perfume, but I developed eczema so I have to be careful about what I use now. Every time I see another celebrity releasing a perfume I wonder how many people still wear perfume. This thread has now shown me that a lot of people still do!

Anyway, my advice would be to either go the sampler route as Sherri suggested or the gift card route. She really needs to try them herself and see what's best. Once a coworker of mine gave me Clinique Happy for Christmas. She wore it all the time and it smelled great on her, but I thought it was wretched on me.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    I would kill my husband if he would buy me perfume without knowing what I can use. Just sayin'! My body chemistry makes about 90% of what is out there give me horrible headaches. He does know I can use Oscar by Oscar de la Renta so he will get that for me and continue to live. I would love a gift card from a department store and some flowers for just about any occasion.
    That sounds like me..lol My DH, DD, DS(2) ALL know I can't handle strong smells of perfume or cologne. I have to be careful with the few I can wear. It’s not every day that I can wear them. Sometimes I have to ask them to step outside to apply it so it won't fill the house with a strong scent. I know it’s crazy, but it sure beats a massive headache for me
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently wearing Miss Dior Cherie and I love it, not too strong. However I agree with the other posters perfumes smell different on different people. How about taking her shopping and choosing a fragrance together?

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    I am currently wearing Miss Dior Cherie and I love it, not too strong. However I agree with the other posters perfumes smell different on different people. How about taking her shopping and choosing a fragrance together?
    I love Miss Dior Cherie, but I have a bit of a weird story about that...

During our October '08 trip, DH helped me pick out a nice perfume in the France pavilion... It was Miss Dior Cherie. I loved the rose scent, and he said it smelled great on me, so I bought it.

I didn't wear it from the bottle during the trip because I was given a very nice sample of it. Toward the end of our 13 day trip (Day 12), my DH sadly started with symtoms that turned out to be an initial MS attack. I had to take him to an ER the day after we got home, and he was diagnosed that day.

I didn't wear the purfume for a while. He had several weeks of steroid treatments during this time... it was quite upsetting and traumatic, and anything from that trip was the last thing on our minds.

After a few weeks, I put the perfume on one day. DH literally almost flet sick. He said the smell made him nauseous. When he asked me what I had on, I said it was the perfume he helped me pick out! It was actually the first chuckle we had since his diagnosis.

Soooo... my mom got a real nice bottle of perfume as a momento from the trip, and DH took me out to pick out something else to wear.To this day, the smell still makes him sick. My mom makes sure she never wears it around him.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: