Quantcast Help with legs and feet swelling in a scooter

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with legs and feet swelling in a scooter

For the last few years we have had to rent my MIL a scooter for the park. She is pooh sized and I don't know if it has anything to do with it but her legs and feet stay swollen during the trip. She thinks that where the end of the seat hits the back of her legs that it cuts her circulation off and causes swelling. I don't know if that's it or not but can you recommend a certain type of scooter with the best seat we can get or a cushion that would help her?

Thanks!
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it depends on the individual. I would suggest calling Apple Scooters (just because that's who I've used in the past and they've been very helpful) and talking to them about the issue. I know they have a variety of scooters and might could find one to solve the issue for you.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

The type of swelling that you describe doesn't sound like it's caused from impaired circulation because of the seat, although I suppose it's possible. It's more likely caused by her legs being in a dependent position for prolonged periods of time. Gravity tends to pool blood and fluid in the legs because it's harder for it to return through the veins to the heart. If she is typically mobile at home, she should make sure and get off the scooter periodically and walk around--muscles will help push the fluids back into her circulatory system and back to the heart. It would also be good if she could put her legs up from time to time; for sure when she gets back to her room she should rest with her legs elevated.

If she hasn't had a check-up lately it might be a good idea to get one before the trip, just to make sure there isn't an underlying health problem causing the swelling. Plus the doctor may be able to recommend other treatments, like stockings that help improve circulation.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

This happens to my Mom as well at Disney ... she's always suffering from "elephant ankles".

The best way we've dealt with it is to have her get up and walk, at least a little bit every hour or so. Oftentimes she'll stand and walk while we're in a queue, since she can sit back down when it gets to be too much for her (I drive the ECV for her while she's standing).

We'd also park the ECV outside for meals, and she'd walk to the table, etc. Just a little bit of movement to keep everything moving and flowing.

We keep her legs up at night and swimming at the resort helps too, since she can move her legs without the stress of standing or walking.

I'm not sure how mobile your MIL is, but the only thing we've done that made a change at all was to keep Mom moving, so she didn't just sit all day. We've had a bunch of different rental ECV's, and she had the problem in all of them.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I are both ECV users due to arthritic knees, plus we are both Pooh sized. At home we both can walk around the house, but can't for long. I say to get up and walk every 30-45 minutes. Get the blood flowing.
    A few trips ago, I relied too much on the ECV and it took a few weeks for my legs to recuperate getting home.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. I had told her that I think she needs to walk more. She thinks she can't keep up with us and the kids but I think if she would stand in the lines, instead of staying in the chair the whole time, and walk more that it will help.

She does take a water pill, and has diabetes. She never uses a scooter at home and can walk fine, she just doesn't walk a lot.

Thanks for the advice! If she knows that it came from other's who experienced it maybe it will help.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Just maybe a suggestion to help her walk more is to challenge her to start " training" for Disney. Instead of trying to walk miles challenge her to walk more steps at home between now and when you go and get her a good pedometer. Say for the first week challenge her to 1000 steps a day and up it each week.

I know myself telling me to walk a certain number of miles and build it up, and I will dig my heels in. Give me a number of steps and a pedometer and now I will try to do that. If you can walk with her or the grandkids, it will help. Use it as a way for everyone to prep for Disney. It doesn't mean that you don't get the scooter, but maybe she will be able to walk more of it.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who deals with swollen ankles all the time. Standing in line isn't going to help, standing could make it worse. What she will need to do is walk for a few minutes every so often as a pp said. And also put her feet up when in the room for at least 20 minutes. It will most likely be better for her to be on the scooter when in line. Hope this helps
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swollen Legs

Here's another possible treatment.

When I was pregnant my ankles got HUGE. My doctor told me that a good treatment is a swimming pool or hot tub (no hot tub when you're pregnant). As long as you are in water up to your neck the pressure forces the liquid back where it belongs instead of accumulating in your legs.

So walking during the day is great, but perhaps a soak in the evening would help too.
    Lisaj13
    Disneyland - Four times
    Disney World - Three times

Post Thanks / Like

I also prefer apple scooter.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: