Quantcast East Coast Extravaganz! Philly was not for us! Part 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default East Coast Extravaganz! Philly was not for us! Part 4

So lots of things did not go the way we planned. Nothing surprising there since we were on Military business, and things seem to change last minute all the time with the military.

The plan for Philadelphia was for the boys and I to spend the entire day while picking up my mom at the airport. Well DH ended up with a half day off last minute and wanted to join us, so we sacrificed that time for him and only got a half day in Philly. That was probably the main reason we didn't particularly enjoy Philly. We also didn't realize we had to have tickets for Independence Hall ahead of time and they were all "sold out" for the day. We also didn't have enough time to do all the things that were recommended here on Intercot. It was just an off day for us.

We purchased a hop on hop off bus ticket and that was a great way to tour the city. Our tour guide was wonderful and this was the best part of our day. For most of the tour it drizzled on and off and we didn't get off the bus for fear of being stuck somewhere in a down pour waiting for the next bus to pick us up. As it turned out we ended up stuck on the top of the bus in a down pour and got soaked! We could not get to the bottom of the bus until the bus could find a safe place to "park" before allowing us to move to the bottom. The boys thought it was hilarious. Me and my mom....not so much. LOL.

It's actually a very pretty city in some places, very park like settings. However, we felt as a whole Philadelphia made us feel very claustrophobic. Everything felt really closed in and the streets were so narrow. Driving and parking is a nightmare. Parking was expensive. Best way I could describe it was I felt like I was stuck in a balled up piece of paper and just wanted to smooth out the mess!

The Liberty Bell was a shocker for us. IT'S IN A GLASSED IN LITTLE "HOUSE"! Who knew?!? Obviously not what we were expecting. I joked that I'll take a pic with the boys with the Liberty Bell in Disney, because it's what we were expecting. LOL

After the bus tour and walking around exploring the area around the Liberty Bell we got the car and left the parking garage. We decided to try to have dinner at Reading Market Terminal. We parked in yet another parking garage, walked down to RMT to discover that it closes at like 6pm! 6PM ON A SATURDAY???? Who does that??? Seriously the place was deserted and felt really unsafe, like "murder alley" unsafe. So very disappointing for us. We boogied out of there quickly. I should also add that my mom can't do a ton of walking so there were times we could have easily walked instead of parking, but with my mom we didn't have that "luxury".

At this point my hubby was getting annoyed at the driving and parking situation. We decided to find a nice place to have a Philly Cheesesteak for dinner and head out. There was no place to park unless we wanted to go back into the parking garage or pay valet parking on the side of the street. After driving round and round DH had had enough. He couldn't wait to get out of the city and we gave up on trying to have dinner in Philly.

We didn't end up with a lot of time to explore like we wanted, which basically left us with just an overview of Philly, so I don't feel it's very fair to say we didn't like it, but.....we didn't like Philly. Sorry, we just didn't enjoy it that much and will likely never return. DH had the opportunity later in the week to return with some guys from his classes and he declined. I'm so glad we went, we did get to see all the city's highlights, and we really enjoyed the bus tour, but it's not a place we'd take the time to visit again.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. The Independence Hall ticket issue~You can only get tickets day of, so unless you had the full day there you were out of luck anyway, since they are usually sold out by 1pm, and sometimes as early as 10am. I tend to go in the "off" months when tickets are not required so sometimes I forget about needing them.

As for the Liberty Bell, it has been inside a building for as long as I can remember. I think it was first moved to its own pavilion for the bicentennial. The building it is in now is newer. Part of the reason it is housed in its own building is that lunatics in the past have tried to deface it, plus it is one of our nation's most famous symbols, so it has some extra protection.

The Reading Terminal Market... I don't know what to say. How sad. We try to help as much as possible on Intercot but sometimes you have to do a little extra research. Their hours are posted all over the internet

Parking is definitely an issue if you have someone in your party that can't walk a bit. The price for metered parking is reasonable, but you need to be able to walk depending on where you get a spot. If you have to use garages they are expensive. Some of the streets are smaller, but I guess I'm used to it. It was the first city to be designed in the grid pattern, and William Penn never could've imagined buses and cars and SUVs sharing the roads with horses and carriages! Good thing you didn't take your car to NYC... if you think Philly's streets are claustrophobic you would be in for a real eye opener there. Being able to walk, and not having a car to tie you down when you are exploring cities really makes things so much easier.

I'm so sorry you had a bad time, but please don't write the city off forever. There is no way you could accomplish enough in a half day (and a rainy day at that) to get a real picture of Philly. I'm glad you at least got to see some interesting things on the bus tour. I understand why you might not go out of your way to come back here, but if the opportunity arises again, maybe you could give us a second chance
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    The Liberty Bell was a shocker for us. IT'S IN A GLASSED IN LITTLE "HOUSE"! Who knew?!? Obviously not what we were expecting. I joked that I'll take a pic with the boys with the Liberty Bell in Disney, because it's what we were expecting. LOL
    I can sympathize here, because that's how I felt the first time I saw Plymouth Rock. Seriously not what I was expecting.

Interesting reading your thoughts. I went to Philly a long time ago, but we're headed up Sunday for a ballgame and want to explore a little with my son. Obviously being that he's 15, we'll get him a cheesesteak, but we did want to take him to Independence Hall and to the Liberty Bell. I didn't realize you needed tickets either. I know we didn't all those years ago. Really though, there isn't a lot to it, but of course I loved it.

Sorry your day didn't go as planned.

Post Thanks / Like

What I found interesting is that since we went to Philly I have told a few people that we didn't love it and I have gotten a little smirk from a few people who then say they "hated it", but didn't want to sway our opinion or discourage us to go. I guess its just one of those cities that you either love it or not. And a lot of the city didn't feel very safe. Not sure how to elaborate except that we didn't feel comfortable or safe.

And I totally understand why the Liberty Bell is enclosed. Far too many people have no respect for other's property and historical sites. It's just that I've never seen it portrayed to be enclosed. I told several friends about it, those who had never been, were just as shocked at us that it's inside of a building. LOL.

And I am in no way saying we regret going. Very glad we went and got to see a good deal of the city, it just didn't have anything that would call us to return.

Same can be said for New Orleans. I grew up in a family that loved New Orleans and we went very often. Talk about a city that doesn't always feel safe, but my family loved it. DH hates it! We've been tons of times with the boys and I find that each time we go DH and the boys dislike it more and more. It's just not for them. It's just one of those cities you either love it or hate it.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, with all your planning I wasn't expecting this report!. For anyone with an interest in Philly, I would suggest Amtrak in and out to avoid the parking. And the historical sites do need tickets. Reading Terminal is a market - like in most big cities - so it is hopping early in the day with deliveries and shoppers and workers in Philly eating lunch. The markets in big cities aren't an evening activity and I would think by dinner timethey are very slow or shutting down.

But your report made me smile a little because it reminds me of my first trip to NYC a few years ago. We were soaked, walking in circles most of the day and hated the entire trip. I felt the
    same way and we decided to never go back. After several more trips, I really enjoy going now
    that I know my way around a little better.

Sounds like your NYC part of the trip is better......from your title
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I told you about the ticketed times for Independence Hall. Maybe not. Philly is a city that is very enjoyable if you know where to go. I think the boys would have really enjoy the Franklin Institute if you would have had time to go. Your situation was hard, a half day is not enough time to see much and the weather was bad on the day you went.

MaryAnn...every time we have visited Independence Hall, we have order tickets in advance.......they need to be picked up on that day by 10, but you can reserve your time in advance for something like a dollar per person.

The feeling of being closed in is because it is one of the oldest cities in the country. Roads are narrow, buildings so close to each other, and sometimes things seem dirty because they are so old.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    MaryAnn...every time we have visited Independence Hall, we have order tickets in advance.......they need to be picked up on that day by 10, but you can reserve your time in advance for something like a dollar per person.
    I just looked into it- You are right, to reserve a ticket in advance there is a charge of $1.50. Walk up tickets are free but you can only get them the day of. In January and February you do not need a ticket. On slow days during months when you "need" a ticket, sometimes the National Park Service employees will flag you down and say "come on in, tour is about to start." The only time I ever had a ticket was when I took a school group in September. But again I live here, so I'm more a go with the flow kind of person. If I don't get into Independence Hall, it won't ruin my day because I've seen it before and I'll see it again. I feel lucky to have grown up with America's Birthplace as my backyard

As for feeling unsafe, I can understand why you might say that about the Reading Terminal Market area, depending on where you were exactly. With everything closing down I'd imagine it felt a bit spooky.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Interesting reading your thoughts. I went to Philly a long time ago, but we're headed up Sunday for a ballgame and want to explore a little with my son. Obviously being that he's 15, we'll get him a cheesesteak, but we did want to take him to Independence Hall and to the Liberty Bell. I didn't realize you needed tickets either. I know we didn't all those years ago. Really though, there isn't a lot to it, but of course I loved it.
    Citizen's Bank Park has cheesesteaks if you want to knock that off your list while you're there! They have them at general concession stands but I recommend going to Tony Luke's in Ashburn Alley.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Citizen's Bank Park has cheesesteaks if you want to knock that off your list while you're there! They have them at general concession stands but I recommend going to Tony Luke's in Ashburn Alley.
    This!

Love Tony Luke's cheesesteaks and roast pork! Definitely get your son a cheesesteak there! You need to come to the ballpark early, though, as the line is long. It can take up to 20-30 minutes to get a sandwich there sometimes.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I can sympathize here, because that's how I felt the first time I saw Plymouth Rock. Seriously not what I was expecting.

Sorry your day didn't go as planned.
    You have to get Bassets hand dipped ice cream while in Philly. I know they have it at Reading Terminal, but maybe MaryAnn or Christine can tell you other places that have it. It is so good and creamy!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

You have to get Bassets hand dipped ice cream while in Philly. I know they have it at Reading Terminal, but maybe MaryAnn or Christine can tell you other places that have it. It is so good and creamy!
    This! I wanted to try that ice cream so bad, but didn't get a chance to.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

This! I wanted to try that ice cream so bad, but didn't get a chance to.
    It's a Philly company, but it's hard to find even around here. For a while I saw it being sold prepackaged in WAWA, but it wasn't as good as the fresh hand dipped.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Philly company, but it's hard to find even around here. For a while I saw it being sold prepackaged in WAWA, but it wasn't as good as the fresh hand dipped.
    Ahh, WAWA! They are at every corner, aren't they!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, WAWA! They are at every corner, aren't they!
    We love our Wawa's.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Chickie & Pete's crab fires. Now if Wawa sold them, life would be great.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildernesslady View Post
    Don't forget Chickie & Pete's crab fires. Now if Wawa sold them, life would be great.
    Ha! This is not too far fetched! Our local ShopRite in NJ recently opened a "Chickie's and Pete's Express." They are expanding... When I was growing up in South Philly our Wawa had a Pizza Hut express in it at the time.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

I'd never even heard of this Chickie and Pete's until last Sunday. Saw it everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd never even heard of this Chickie and Pete's until last Sunday. Saw it everywhere.

They are even on the Ocean City Boardwalk now
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

They are even on the Ocean City Boardwalk now
    We were there yesterday and saw that. They are still the best getting them right before a game at citizens park.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Ocean City Boardwalk Chickies stands are awesome. The cheese holder clips on to the fry container so you can stroll and dunk with ease. I don't understand why they don't have this at CBP???
    (Unless they brought it in this year, haven't had them at the ballpark since the start of the season).
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: