Quantcast Motion Sickness

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Motion Sickness

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motion Sickness

How do others deal with Motion Sickness in the parks? My wife gets motion sickness easily and I am looking for something to help her with the rides without making her drowsy

I was just looking at a product called Motioneaze. Does anyone have any experience using this? It is herbal and non drowsy. You put a few drops of oil behind each ear like the patch and it is suppose to prevent, and cure motion sickness in just a few minutes. I read some reviews and found a lot of positive ones, but a few negative as well. It looks like when people like it, they love it. 1 drawback seems to be that it has a herbal odor, some described as pepermint like and pleasant, others said they do not like the smell.

Does anyone have any other tried and true motion sickness remedies? Love to hear them!

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When we went to Universal last year, DS21 used Dramamine non-drowy formula and it worked well for him.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We will be packing some Dramamine as a backup just in case, but even the less drowsy formula still makes her drowsy.

Do they have a Non-Drowsy formula?

Maybe wash down the dramamine with a Rock Star to counter the affect

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

My soon to be son in law, gets motion sick real easy. He goes to Walgreen's and the pharmacist puts some sort of drops in his ears, not sure the name of the product. Really does the trick for him.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Bonine in the past. It is non-drowsy and seems to work well. Although, I was still woozy after riding Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, but simulators really do a number on me.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    I've used Bonine in the past. It is non-drowsy and seems to work well. Although, I was still woozy after riding Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, but simulators really do a number on me.

Would you say Bonine is as affective as Dramamine without the drowsyness, or is it a trade off?

Recent Trips:

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

We use ginger pills. DH can't do rides that go in a circle like dumbo or anything with the screen like a lot of universal rides. Mythbusters did a show a few years ago and tested different things & ginger pills came out as the winner so we tried them on the next trip & they worked great. I also used them while I was pregnant after getting the ok from my doc because I was feeling sick on everything even spaceship earth if I didn't take them. We just take one about 15 minutes before riding. It works for a while too with no side effects or smells.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also used ginger pills with success.

Hope you find something that works for her!!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgmnut View Post
    Would you say Bonine is as affective as Dramamine without the drowsyness, or is it a trade off?
    Yes! I cannot take even the non drowsy Dramamine, It knocks me out. When I take Bonine I can still function, no drowsiness at all. I'm not sure why the difference, the active ingredient is the same.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, Packing some Bonine and hoping for the best.

Recent Trips:

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I actually tried the motion sickness wristbands, and they worked! I can't explain it. Maybe it was just psychosomatic. Doesn't matter, as long as it works. Certainly worth a try. Cheap, no odor, no side effects, and no risk.
    WDW*Dreamer
    DVC/AP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephicakes View Post
    I have also used ginger pills with success.

Hope you find something that works for her!!
    May need to try these. It appears the closer I get to 30 the less tolerance I have on a lot of rides. I was planning on skipping some coasters and simulators next trip but maybe I'll give these a shot.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDW*Dreamer View Post
    I actually tried the motion sickness wristbands, and they worked! I can't explain it. Maybe it was just psychosomatic. Doesn't matter, as long as it works. Certainly worth a try. Cheap, no odor, no side effects, and no risk.
    We're also fans of the Sea Bands here. We use them on long car trips and around the parks. We used them on the Disney cruise too. We find them very helpful.
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

My wife get's motion sickness very easy and we have found 2 solutions that work well for us. If she is going to go on the big kid rides, then it has to be trans-scop (scopalamine) patches. They work fantastic, but the blurred vision and dry mouth drive her nuts. She also likes Bonine. She can't do space mountain or mission space with Bonine, but pretty much everying else is on the table.

Sept. 2019 Disney Dream
    Feb. 2016 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
    Nov. 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2008 All Star Movies
    Nov. 2007 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2004 Port Orleans Riverside
    May. 1999 Off Site
    Sept. 1997 Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

We packed Bonine for my wife so she could enjoy the rides. We went to Animal Kingdom on Sat 8/18. She took one Bonine as we got on the bus, I wasn't really feeling 100% that morning so I took one also, just in case. She was fine, no drowsiness at all.

Just a few hours later, luckily as we were leaving to go back swimming at OKW, I got really really tired. I could feel myself starting to fall asleep on the bus back to the resort... we got back to the room and I took a 3 hour nap while DW and kids went to the quiet pool.

It was really kind of funny, I had actually accidently done it to myself. We had gone to a TS lunch at Yak and Yeti. By lunch time I had completely for gotten about the bonine and ordered a drink with alcohol with lunch...ooops. Needless to say I was nice and refreshed to take the boat and go out for dinner at DTD.

Recent Trips:

Next Trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDW*Dreamer View Post
    I used the wristband on a cruise and it worked great..
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I looked into all of the choices before we went last spring. I don't usually go on rides that cause me to get sick, but my son had his heart set on the Harry Potter ride at Universal. I was afraid to try anything that can make you drowsy, because if it says it will make you drowsy, it will put me to sleep all day. I'm very sensitive to that stuff. So, I tried the ginger. Maybe it would work on a NORMAL ride, but that Harry Potter thing is not a "normal" ride. I've never been tossed around so much in my life. Maybe the ginger pills did help, because I didn't lose my breakfast...but I still felt pretty awful the rest of the day until I went to sleep that night (and I went on the ride around noon!)Of course, my son loved the ride beyond belief, and he doesn't get sick. My DH and I both felt awful...DS probably would have gone on the ride again, but he didn't have an adult to go with him. Never. Ever. Ever. Again.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: