Quantcast Flash pictures on dark rides - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    This seems to have gotten pretty bad, on Pirates, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, etc. .
    I've noticed this too. It used to not be so bad. It kills me too.

When my parents used to take me to WDW and the dark rides would stop for a moment (as they do), my parents once told me it was because "someone didn't follow directions."

They would say someone must have stood up, misbehaved, or snapped a flash photo. It was their way of making sure I never did those those things. HAHAHA. I forgot all about that. No kid wants to be held responsible for stopping a Disney ride!!!

Maybe instead of "No flash, please" we should start telling them "YOU'LL STOP THE RIDE IF YOU MISBEHAVE, YOUNG LADY!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchWDFun View Post
    I'm sure it is also dangerous for the puppeteers on stage.

As the father of one of those perfomers, I can personally attest to the fact that the performers have been injured because of flash photography temporarily blinding them.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I think that while it is partly self-centered guests, I think that it's also partly based on the ignorance of those guests.

I think that a lot of those people, even the one with "professional" cameras, don't even know how to turn the flash off. *Every* camera has a way to turn the flash off. It just takes going through some menu options on some cameras.

But, the real reason that it drives me nuts is because it ruins the experience for me AND their pictures will be awful. The built-in flash on ANY camera is only good for round 8-10 feet. The reason for this is because anything past that and the light won't illuminate the scene while the shutter on the camera is open. You might think, "Yeah, but when my flash goes off, you can see that it brightens stuff really far away!" And you'd be right. But by that time, your shutter on you camera is closed. So it illuminated the close-up stuff, but not the far stuff. So it's worthless taking pictures of deeper scenes, parade floats, in stadiums (that always makes me laugh), etc. And if the shutter does stay open that long, it's going to be blurry. You cannot take a clear picture with a shutter open more than 1/50th of a second (or so), flash or no. The darker the scene, the longer the shutter wants to stay open, even with a flash.

So, that's what I think when that happens. Thanks for not just blowing the ambiance of the ride, but you're doing it for no good reason. I'm glad your pictures will ****.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I've asked people not to take flash pictures I just don't understand why they can't follow the rules. It really does ruin the ride, particularly for those on it for the first time to keep seeing the flash. It's as bad as those who videotape them, the warm glow of the LCD screen the entire ride.

I know I will never talk about a ride in the line because if it's someone's first time I don't want to spoil it for them.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    I think that a lot of those people, even the one with "professional" cameras, don't even know how to turn the flash off. *Every* camera has a way to turn the flash off. It just takes going through some menu options on some cameras.
    What really bothered me about my camera was that it was easy to turn the flash off, but impossible to turn off the auto-exposure light. It was a Kodak camera and I actually called them and asked how to disable the light....Their answer -- You can't! The camera needs it to figure out the focus and aperture settings. Even on "Manual" settings....Needless to say, that camera no longer exists in my possession!!

For parades and any shots with motion, I just use the Sports setting or High-Iso on manual. I don't think I have turned on the flash on my latest camera (Nikon 'Point-and-Shoot variety) since Day One!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I think this last trip (got back yesterday), was one of the first in a long time, where I did not run into this problem very often. I was actually shocked.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Not only that, but flash is effective only up to a certain distance.

Like azcavalier said, what's really happening is that the shutter is staying open longer...
    Beyond the flash range, the light emitted does nothing.
    It's like taking pictures of fireworks... you think that the flash is actually enhancing the picture?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuckUSA View Post
    When my parents used to take me to WDW and the dark rides would stop for a moment (as they do), my parents once told me it was because "someone didn't follow directions."
    We've got to be related. My Mom would have done the same thing.

My husband will say "please turn off your flash" and you can tell people understand him... they just don't care. I don't confront people. I get too mad when they will not follow the rules. And it ruins my experience.

My newest pet peeve is the same as Mel (and Christine too I think). In fact, I tweeted about it while I was there less than a month ago. I was sitting in the second row at Festival of the Lion King while a woman in front of me is using her iPad. So I see the show twice but it somehow blocks 1/2 of my view. I had it during Wishes. At Flight of Wonder; I hoped a bird would poop on one. I hate it. I hope this fad goes away quick.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    My newest pet peeve is the same as Mel (and Christine too I think). In fact, I tweeted about it while I was there less than a month ago. I was sitting in the second row at Festival of the Lion King while a woman in front of me is using her iPad. So I see the show twice but it somehow blocks 1/2 of my view. I had it during Wishes. At Flight of Wonder; I hoped a bird would poop on one. I hate it. I hope this fad goes away quick.
    I love my iPad. But not for videos or pictures. Are those people serious? The last thing I want to do is hold that thing up to video anything. Whenever I see someone using their iPad to film something, I just shake my head.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check it out

Twitter feed of @JMTMStone and you'll find the photo

https://twitter.com/JMTMStone/status...159872/photo/1
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchWDFun View Post
    My biggest flash photography gripe at WDW is in the Little Mermaid Show at DHS. I love this attraction.
    I have been known to yell out--"NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY" when people start taking pictures--especially during the Under the Sea scene with the puppets. When the flash goes off everyone can now see the puppeteers on stage manipulating the puppets. I'm sure it is also dangerous for the puppeteers on stage.

It is one of my favorite shows and I hate when it is ruined by thoughtless people. On top of that the pics these inconsiderate people are taking won't even look good!!
    We were watching Animagique at Disneyland Paris (similar black light puppeteering) and a flash gun went off. A CM went over and insisted that the camera was switched off.
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it is just "un-luck" of the draw, but this happens to us at least every other time we are on Pirates.

Yo-Ho Yo-Ho turn off your cam-era please.
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Opus X Guest

To me....this is one of those..."only the sick goto hospitals" So, All the folks that notice flashes...post here.
    Honestly, We have never really noticed this phenomenon. Im trying to forget i even read about it...it makes me want to notice it happening.
    But, honestly, I never really noticed or if i did...it wasnt something that gave me issues.
    Of course....now ill sit right behind..some took using a tablet or something.
    Murphys law.

Post Thanks / Like

My Nikon Cool pix camera had the feature where you can shut it off. I thought I had turned it off but oops, I flashed. Needless to say, I stopped trying to take a picture.The camera I have now is a Canon and you have to actually LIFT the flash up. It actually takes pretty good pictures in the dark without the flash.That was one of the main reasons I wanted this camera. I was even talking to a friend, who is going to Disney the same week as me, about that feature because she was saying that her fiance wanted a new camera. It was a great selling point for her because they too go to Disney frequently.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    Twitter feed of @JMTMStone and you'll find the photo

https://twitter.com/JMTMStone/status...159872/photo/1
    That would have driven me nuts! If you're going to do that, ask to sit in the very last row where you're affecting the least amount of people!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now I'll sing it all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlueLacheta View Post
    Yo-Ho Yo-Ho turn off your cam-era please.
    Excellent
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

A few years back on POC some young people in our boat behind us did a video and took flash pictures. Well for the video they have me burping many times along with some choice words I kept repeating, not bad stuff but loud. I was in the video more than the pirates. For the stills my arms were pointing a lot and I was moving a lot in my seat. You have to understand I asked them if they understood no flash pictures and the young man told me to mind my business. Then his lady friend call me a jerk so I had fun with them. I am 6'1 weigh 250 lbs. and have lifted weights for 40+ years. When the ride was over they became scared when I asked them if they had any more comments. Just then an older lady came up to me and said I was really funny and thanked me for messing with those idiots. I would not have done anything to them but I hope they show some respect to the next riders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    To me....this is one of those..."only the sick goto hospitals" So, All the folks that notice flashes...post here.
    Honestly, We have never really noticed this phenomenon. Im trying to forget i even read about it...it makes me want to notice it happening.
    But, honestly, I never really noticed or if i did...it wasnt something that gave me issues.
    Of course....now ill sit right behind..some took using a tablet or something.
    Murphys law.
    Admittedly, I have probably only had two experiences where it really bothered me. And it has to be a really dark ride (Haunted Mansion, for example) to bug me. Last trip, though, there was someone who took close to 50 photos about four cars behind us, flashing for each one. It doesn't bother me as much on Pirates, because much of the scenes are well lit, and so the flash doesn't do as much. But it destroys the ambiance in HM.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

This used to bother me. And then one day I realized, my commenting was not going to change the legions of people who do it. And *really* the only way it was spoiling my ride was that I kept thinking (in my bossy voice) "you aren't supposed to!"

So now I ignore it. And it really (in the grand scheme of things) doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmansiongirl View Post
    That would have driven me nuts! If you're going to do that, ask to sit in the very last row where you're affecting the least amount of people!
    ...okay ...if I saw that ...I'd tell the person, "Okay...I feel for you ...I too am sorry you bought an Apple product ...but ..it's sorta' blocking my view ...but if you put it down ...we can sit later on ...have a drink ..and you can tell me how sorry you are for blocking my view ...and I'll console you for buying that 'thing'.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP