Quantcast First time staying off property...advice? Gaylord Palms

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time staying off property...advice? Gaylord Palms

So this trip (we leave in a week) will be a big difference for us. It is our first time ever staying off property and I'm a bit nervous! First time flying as well with our little guys (ages 4.5 and 19 months). We are staying at Gaylord Palms Resort and renting a car.
    Renting a stroller from Orlando stroller rentals.
    Does anyone know if there is a shuttle that goes to parks from this resort? I really don't want to pay for parking everyday. That price alone will be huge!
    We are DVC members (just used all of our points last year), previously a Disney cast member, and both boys have been there before. (It's my4.5 year olds 6th trip and my 19 month olds 2nd trip. My hubby has Marriott points so we are staying at Gaylord palms on those. (Hence why we are staying off property)
    Any advice about getting to and from parks would be greatly appreciated and time frame etc.
    what time should I get to parks being off property etc?
    If anyone has stayed at this resort any dining suggestions? We are doing the shrekfeast but that's all I booked there so far.
    Any help will be appreciated!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Have stayed at the Gaylord before. It is a beautiful resort and very conveniently located near Disney. When we stayed, we had a medical emergency and the staff were terrific. Very understanding and accommodating.

We did not eat at the resort. There were quite a few choices, we just found them to be very pricey.

Just a note, be prepared to pay their daily resort fee ($15/day)--it is not normally covered and parking $18 a day/$24 valet (+ tax). So now, your free room is up to $33/day + taxes). Just don't want you to get hit with sticker shock (expect a free week and it costs you $250 upon check-in
    That can lead to some hasty budget adjustments if you are not prepared. Fore warned is fore armed.
    Enjoy.
    *1972-Contemporary
    *1982-Tree House Village
    *1987-Offsite
    *1997-AS Music
    *2000-CS
    *2004-Offsite
    *2005-Disneyland
    *2006-WL
    *2007-AS Sports
    *2008-AKV/WLV/BCV and 4-day Disney Wonder
    *2009-POP/AKV
    *2009-OKW for Christmas
    *2010-BLT
    *2011-Spring Break: Offsite-Sheraton Vistana
    *2011-OKW/BWV

Post Thanks / Like

My husband attended a conference there last year (we stayed at the AKL and I drove him every morning...it took less than 5 minutes to get there from the AKL, and we passed it almost every time we went to the parks.). It was an impressive property, and the staff seemed to be extremely professional. Like the PP mentioned, I would definitely get the list of extra fees you will be hit with on check-in. The parking and resort fee will be pretty hefty. I imagine they do have a shuttle, I'm sure you can call or go on the website to double check. If not, parking at DD is free, and then you can take the bus to wherever you need. Its really a beautiful place, and I hope you enjoy it!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I'm not sure of this info, but if you are DVC members, can't you get free parking or some kind of parking pass?
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgirl View Post
    If not, parking at DD is free, and then you can take the bus to wherever you need. Its really a beautiful place, and I hope you enjoy it!
    Actually, you can't. There are no park buses from DtD. Only resort buses. This is NOT a good way to go when you have little kids. It is VERY time consuming.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

The resort is very nice. We went by and checked it as we were considering it for a future trip. However, after looking at the hidden fees; we marked it off the list. I will never pay a "resort fee", I avoid parking fees at all costs or at least calculate them into the total when comparing different resorts, I will not pay for wifi and I also look at free breakfast. There are so many options in Orlando, you don't have to stay at one of the resorts that have shady fees.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just at the Gaylord in May using my husband's points. However, the others are correct in that there are fees not covered by the points. If you made the reservation online you should already be aware of this. I was there for 4 nights. I told them I had a vehicle but I never needed to leave so my room key never registered a re-entry. I'm not sure I was ever charged the parking fee. I was not given a statement at check-out because I checked out by phone. A statement was never mailed to me either, but my charge for the entire stay was around $80. I'll take that any day of the week to stay at a Gaylord.

Additionally, they do offer shuttle service to the Disney parks. They also offer onsite restaurants that are very $$ (comparable to Disney pricing). Their nightly buffet was around $35 for adults. As another example of pricing, the Haagen Dazs ice cream shop's milkshakes costs about $7-$8. If you do decide to drive, there are a plethora of restaurants nearby enlarging your dining options.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much everyone! This info is so helpful!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgirl View Post
    Oh and I'm not sure of this info, but if you are DVC members, can't you get free parking or some kind of parking pass?
    Free parking at the parks is not a DVC perk.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Actually, you can't. There are no park buses from DtD. Only resort buses. This is NOT a good way to go when you have little kids. It is VERY time consuming.
    We have done it this way several times (we've been going for 30 years, usually 2 times a year, so we're not usually in too big a rush), and I agree it is definitely more time consuming especially with kids (I have a 3 YO and 1 YO). I just tried to pick the hotel bus closest to whatever park we were headed for and that worked for us (like AKL if headed towards AK, etc...). But I totally agree it is not the most time efficient way...and my 3YO LOVES the "Mickey" bus, so the bus ride was part of the fun for him!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: