Quantcast The problem with bus transportation - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont even think most people care all that much if/who is using scooters and get on first. It seems the biggest, and I agree, issue is that they usually have like 40 people with them that all get on the buses first. That is what drives me nuts.

But rather than get upset. Maybe I'll just start renting a scooter too.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to stand in line on my own 2 feet with no pain, but alas I am not that lucky. I have to use a scooter because my one daughter also has some mobility issues and is in a special needs stroller so my fiance pushes her while I use the scooter. We were just there in May and every night when leaving the parks they did not allow anyone in a scooter or a wheel chair to go up to the handicapped spot. we all waited in line just like everyone else. once we got to the front of the line, then they had us go wait and the CM that was there at the spot would tell the others coming up in a scooter or wheelchair to do the same, go get in line. I had no problem doing it that way and I feel it should be done that way always. Again, I would LOVE to be able to walk the parks again like I did when I was younger, but it just can't happen. I hate the stares I get and I hate that I am made to feel bad because I have a disability, now THAT is what is not fair.
    șoș Josette șoș
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

4. Thanks Terra thanked for this post
    Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVCJohn View Post
    Matt, Did you go back and read your first post that started this thread? You were the one that stated and I quote; "I can see giving priority for wheelchairs, but not for rented scooters". So you assume that people on rented scooters do not have health issues but people in wheelchairs do? Again your words not mine. There were times when my mother was alive that we would have a wheelchair for her (that I pushed) and my father had a scooter. BOTH had (in my father's case still has) health issue that would not allow them to walk through the parks. Both of them hated the idea of having to use the wheelchair and scooter but it was necessary. They also did not like the dirty looks that they got for taking up the space on the bus. I am sorry that you have a child with a condition but you also need to see the other side. While I acknowledge that there is abuse Disney must assume that if a person is in a wheelchair or on a scooter, they have a disability. With this "LAWSUIT CRAZY" society we live in passing over the wrong person will cost Disney serious coin.. I don't want to be confrontational and I now know your family has a special need child. We all need to understand that there are individuals that take advantage of the system and not a lot that any of us can do about it.
    Exactly! Another point I want to make there was one location we boarded that did not have a clearly marked place for wheelchairs and scooters so we lined up like everyone else. The bus driver scolded my mom and said she should have pulled to the side where he could see her. The problems should be addressed with Disney. They need to set some rules, what ADA requires and their own policy and post them at every stop. I actually think they should limit the boarding party too if possible

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    It's like when a right lane merges into a left lane during road construction. Way back there, you can see the big lighted arrow that shows you need to move to the left. So everyone moves their car into a line in the left lane to wait their turn. But then there's that guy who zooms around all the other cars to go to the head of the right lane and squeezes in. Maybe he had a good reason for doing it, maybe he didn't. Either way, you still get irked.
    Actually, traffic engineers say for maximum benefit cars should fill all space in both lanes until the merge point, so maybe he just knows the right thing to do.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Aurora
    It's like when a right lane merges into a left lane during road construction. Way back there, you can see the big lighted arrow that shows you need to move to the left. So everyone moves their car into a line in the left lane to wait their turn. But then there's that guy who zooms around all the other cars to go to the head of the right lane and squeezes in. Maybe he had a good reason for doing it, maybe he didn't. Either way, you still get irked.

...and THAT's the reason I have big jagged spikes mounted on my right side car wheels!! Because when it's rush hour ...it's just like a scene from "Death Race"!!
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

I actually do this....every time. It irritates me that most people do not have the common sense to realize they are making the traffic jam worse by merging so far back and bringing an additional stretch down to one lane. What makes it even worse is when you have the A-hole that tries to straddle the two lanes to prevent those like me from going on up and merging.

It is basically an algorithm and physics problem. You will get more throughput by utilizing all lanes as long as possible which allows all lanes to move at a steady pace as long as possible and then each lane making space for the merge while still moving. By stopping and merging a half mile back, you are stopping both lanes at that point which then causes a brake check physics side effect traffic jam to occur miles further back.

Maybe if more people were required to take physics and algorithms they would understand that and merge correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Actually, traffic engineers say for maximum benefit cars should fill all space in both lanes until the merge point, so maybe he just knows the right thing to do.
    ^^^Mendelson obviously understands the math and physics and is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Disney friends! It's funny, I started this post as an observation that it's not exactly fair to someone that has been standing in line for a long time who should reasonably expect a seat on the next bus to get bumped by someone that comes up at the last minute with a large party. I think by citing rental scooters as a source for the bumps, it became an indictment on my compassion with physical challenges. Certainly NOT the case. The main point was there may be a better way to accommodate everyone and not make people that have been waiting a long time to wait longer. I will add this, after years and more trips, I simply just started driving us from the resorts to the parks. I think the tram system does a wonderful job getting people shuttled back and forth, and it's more enjoyable for us as a family to talk quietly about our day in the comfort of the car. And one more final word- WDW and all of the parks do a fantastic job in making everyone feel welcome to the parks and makes it the best experience they can for all. I am glad that the bus system exists for people that can make it work for them and may also have challenges physically, as well as even those folks frightened to drive in some of the crazy traffic sometimes! Everything considered, if you don't like one transportation option, you can take advantage of another as we did. No matter what, let's not lose sight that it is the happiest place on earth and let's enjoy that! Not the petty annoyances! A minor annoyance at Disney beats a wonderful day at work any day of the year!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a scooter and I need a scooter. It *****.
    People stare at you, make you feel like ****.
    It's hard to get a scooter on the bus when it's empty, much less when people are on.
    You should be thankful you get to carry your kid, or walk down mainstreet, or go through the ques, Believe me, I would do anything to be in the position to be able to carry my boy but i can't. Sorry you feel it's unfair to you.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Only 2 scooters/wheel chair lock-downs per bus. The number of visitors grows and as our overall population is aging: more scooters and wheelchairs. The politeness levels may change yearly, but I do no know about that.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip to Walt Disney World, we had experienced many episodes exactly as the author MattHoltz posted. Sometimes the situation was obvious, and we had absolutely no qualms at all about stepping aside. Other times, it almost looked like an abuse-of-a-well-intentioned-Disney-policy situation.

I had posited a possible solution:

Suppose Disney had a dedicated transportation system specifically for those who needed special attention. This would entail redesigning all of the bus stops, so that those with special needs would have their access vans located as close to park entrances as possible. Moreover, they would be prioritized based on degree of difficulty. It would require multiple access vans, rather than transportation buses, be located at the first terminal and it would still be a first-come, first-serve basis, with those in the most severe need receiving priority over scooters and such. I think this would not only be most beneficial to those who need added attention, but would also alleviate any resentment park-goers have at the end of a long day when they see a scooter pull up, get first access, and bring 20 guests with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    On our last trip to Walt Disney World, we had experienced many episodes exactly as the author MattHoltz posted. Sometimes the situation was obvious, and we had absolutely no qualms at all about stepping aside. Other times, it almost looked like an abuse-of-a-well-intentioned-Disney-policy situation.

I had posited a possible solution:

Suppose Disney had a dedicated transportation system specifically for those who needed special attention. This would entail redesigning all of the bus stops, so that those with special needs would have their access vans located as close to park entrances as possible. Moreover, they would be prioritized based on degree of difficulty. It would require multiple access vans, rather than transportation buses, be located at the first terminal and it would still be a first-come, first-serve basis, with those in the most severe need receiving priority over scooters and such. I think this would not only be most beneficial to those who need added attention, but would also alleviate any resentment park-goers have at the end of a long day when they see a scooter pull up, get first access, and bring 20 guests with them.
    MAVs would be nice, but then you would need to either have multiples for each resort, or have multiple resort stops for each one.

More reasonable would be that only one 'aide' could be loaded with each scooter/wheelchair/etc. IF there are more in your party, then they have to wait in the normal queue. If all want, or need, to be on the same bus, then they can wait in the queue until all can be accommodated at the same time.

Personally, I really don't have a problem with the current SYSTEM, just with those who try to take undo advantage of it. I almost rented a scooter myself at Disneyland in Dec. '15, but pride or stubbornness made me refuse even though I had 3 slipped disks in my lower back. (Walking back to Paradise Pier at park closings was murder! Specially when I was at the front gates at 7am PST!!! Chiropractor loved me [$$$] for the next 3 weeks! LOL)
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I must be losing brain cells this late in the teaching year, but I'm not getting the difference between a wheel chair and scooter in terms of ADA accomodations. Both are used to help someone.
    I always love the whole "SO many people abuse it" line of thought as well.
    My first question is: "Have you personally interviewed every single person you've seen on a scooter or in a wheelchair to police that?"

Just because you can't see a special need doesn't mean it does not exist.
    I don't know how many times in today's day and age with all the education we have, that people still have that line of thought "well they don't look like they need it."
    That is just ignorant and uneducated thinking.

My oldest son [10 years old] gets easily fatigued and often gets migraine rapid onset from his disorder.
    He doesn't "look" like he needs to be in a wheel chair, but often I take it with me [a transport chair actually] because of the fatigue, headaches, and also the easy brusing that can happen when someone just bumps into him.

And often in lines people are not so nice and kind of crowd in and shove/push and kids seem to get squeezed in.
    So I started using the wheel chair.
    Yeah we get looks and stares and judgments.
    Just be thankful, like previous posts have said, that [general] you who are complaining don't have the issues than make one in need of a mobility device.

You're at the happiest place on earth. Have to wait an extra 20 minutes in this thing called life, count it joy, get to know the person ahead or behind you. Pass some time making new "friends".
    Life could be so much worse.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Default One of the inconveniencers

I have advanced Lupus. The disease has caused me to have weak lungs and walking makes me dizzy and faint. I have never been to Disney World and it is my dream to go before I cant any more. I am going May 2018. I plan on renting a scooter. After reading all these posts I am worried I will be one of those people getting bad looks and judged. I am young. And I am sure people will be looking at me as an abuser of the system. I can get up and ride rides. I can stand in lines as long as there are breaks and I am sure there are. Heck Ill sit on the ground in line. But as far as going from one end of Main street to the other, frequent breaks would slow my kids and family down and I don't want to be THEIR inconvenience. So, its best I get a scooter. My mom who is going is also in scooter. She has bad knees. So I guess we are really going to be getting the horrible looks. 2 scooters in 1 party. We just want to go and enjoy ourselves like everyone else. Greatfull that we still can.

Its Disney. We are supposed to escape the stressfull harsh world and enter the world of magic and hope. There is plenty of room for everyone. In spite of our differences. Look past the subtle inconveniences and enjoy your vacation with your family. Build memories. You don't want one of them to be how daddy was upset over all the rude scooters. besides, whats that teach the children?

16. Thanks WDW-Geek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The last year of my mother's life, she had to ride a scooter because of her pulmonary fibrosis. I imagine she looked young and vibrant to others. She was only 64 when she died. Others may have seen her get out of her scooter and walk a few steps, before her death. I am so very grateful that she was able to come to WDW with us and that she was able to ride attractions and get on the busses with her scooter and that we were able to be with her. I wonder now if others were annoyed if they had to wait for the next bus while we, her children and grandchildren got onto the bus with her. At the time I was just soaking it in, loving my last happy times with my mother. My children don't remember her well. But they love seeing the pictures of them, little, with my mother, at Walt Disney World. People. Life is short. Forgive. Love. Teach your children that waiting a few minutes longer for a bus might allow a grandmother and her children and grandchildren to have a happy memory. Without the accommodations (ie. inconveniences to able bodied, yes.) my mother (and her family) could not have had those last, happy, amazing experiences at WDW. Thank you, THANK YOU, for your patience, for allowing us to have those special, magical times.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

18. Thanks Terra thanked for this post
    Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said!!! So glad you were able to spend that special time with your mother - great memories.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Due to age and knee replacement recently, I have opted for a scooter few times. And though I respect others opinions and experiences, I can tell you that the cast members have had my husband and I wait at the bus stop for buses to fill up with walkers and strollers and everything, but scooters. We didn't get in a huff, because we realized that logistically it made sense to get as many people on a couple buses to thin out the crowd. And I have seen people just get on the bus though the driver told them to stay off while I was attempting to park the beast. Apparently they didn't care about the potential injury I could have caused.
    Life is always better when you mix in a little MOUSE
    1981 1986 1990 2000 2003 off site
    1994 1998 All Star Music,
    2002 All Star Movies,
    2004 2005x2 2012 2013 2019 POR
    2007 2012 2014 2016 2019 Pop
    2008 ASMu Suites
    2014 2017 CBR
    2015 AoA Cars
    2017 AKLx2
    2018 Grand Canyon

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of the complaints here stem for similar reasons there are tons of issues on planes or at the airport. There could always be more service (more buses), more space, every is kinda roughed up a bit while there (a trip to Disney is more of an endurance test than a relaxing vacay) and so everyone is on edge. Also, everyone waits in long lines for EVERYTHING, and so after seeing folks (who I do think usually need it) but get to go to the front of the line on so many things with their entire party. The entire party thing is what irks me personally. A few people fine, but like 6,7, 10,, yeah no. Plus we've all seen the stories of folks w/ things like autism and such, which is controversial, that further pushes the edge. On top of that, everyone is spending more and more each time we go.

Basically, everyone is getting edgier, which I feel creates more of these conflicts, which may not normally be conflicts.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I The entire party thing is what irks me personally. A few people fine, but like 6,7, 10,, yeah no.
    But why shouldn't someone be able to enjoy a ride with their whole family. A parent in a wheelchair should be able to enjoy a ride with their spouse and four children, etc.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I think a lot of the complaints here stem for similar reasons there are tons of issues on planes or at the airport. There could always be more service (more buses), more space, every is kinda roughed up a bit while there (a trip to Disney is more of an endurance test than a relaxing vacay) and so everyone is on edge. Also, everyone waits in long lines for EVERYTHING, and so after seeing folks (who I do think usually need it) but get to go to the front of the line on so many things with their entire party. The entire party thing is what irks me personally. A few people fine, but like 6,7, 10,, yeah no. Plus we've all seen the stories of folks w/ things like autism and such, which is controversial, that further pushes the edge. On top of that, everyone is spending more and more each time we go.

Basically, everyone is getting edgier, which I feel creates more of these conflicts, which may not normally be conflicts.
    Uh, what?

Post Thanks / Like

My issue with the scooters and wheelchairs is not the actual devices or the people using them but more with the large groups accompanying them. I just don't think it is fair to allow those large groups on with them. Instead allow 2 people on with them and make the others wait and if that means the rest of the group catching the next bus then so be it.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: