Quantcast The problem with bus transportation - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

They paid for their vacation just like everyone else. Families should stay together for their vacation. Wouldn't you want to stay together with yours? Also, what if the party is a chaired mom, a dad and 5 kids. The chair person should have someone care for them and it should be the dad, so what do you suggest he do leave the kids behind? You cant pick and chose and telling a scootered family that they all cant go is discrimination. If we don't all fit, we wait for the next one like everyone else, even walkers. On another note...abusers. So what!!! Those chairs are an extra expense. They paid for them. If they want to enjoy their vacation not being worn out at the end of their day, so be it. Its their business. Who am I to dictate how people get around? Its only an inconvenience if you allow it to be. Since now everyone knows there will be a lot of scooters running around, start the day prepared for it and expecting it. That way you wont be so annoyed since your ready for the "inconvenience".

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The amount of people getting on the buses is supposed to be maxed out at 6 total. However, not all bus drivers enforce it
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

4. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney24-7 View Post
    They paid for their vacation just like everyone else. Families should stay together for their vacation. Wouldn't you want to stay together with yours? .
    Very well said!!! I feel thankful that I am able to stand there and wait for the bus!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

We sometimes travel with my Mom and Aunt both of whom are over eighty and use scooters. My hubby and I always stand in the line like everyone else. I do however know your pain about large groups boarding with a wheelchair or scooter. We have had as many as 15 teenagers board with one. However disney will not really enforce rules like this so no one will be offended. That is what we were told when we complained about one person being in line and allowing 15 to 20 to come into line with that person.
    first trip 1976
    27 trips since and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I think part of the problem is that some people only see the "up" side to being in a wheelchair and the inconvenience to them that they perceive. They don't really understand how people in wheelchairs lose out on a lot of things.
    I used to have to use a wheelchair. I wanted to see the theming in the line queues so badly, but my body just couldn't handle it.
    I want to ride Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror. Taking a spin in Aerosmith's limousine would be amazing. I won't ever be able to ride them. I just spend time browsing in the gift shop while my family rides them. I remember trying to watch the Finding Nemo show once. My body couldn't handle sitting without a back rest for that long.
    I would like to be able to just go and go all day and night like I used to. I don't want to slow my family down or make them go back to the hotel room due to me being tired.
    I am doing so much better now and only use a GAC instead of a wheelchair. I am very thankful for that, but I still remember what it was like. We were a family of 6 - Myself, my husband, and four children. Our first trip was a family reunion trip of 15 people. I would have felt so left out if Disney wouldn't have let us stay together.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's call a spade a spade - is there an element of fat-shaming in this conversation? I don't think ANYONE is debating the use of these services by people who are disabled for other reasons - but if you are like my husband, he always gets ticked off about "fatties" on scooters clogging up the system when it is their own fault. Now I can SAY that because the last time I went to Disney I weighed nearly 300 pounds and **** near ordered a scooter for myself. God knows, I would have enjoyed the parks more, but I obviously wasn't going to break down and do that, when I already knew my husband's opinion. I had kind of a lousy vacation, actually - I missed out on SO much. There are so many rides over at Universal I wouldn't fit on (or was scared to try), and while Disney rides are much more accomodating, by day 4 my feet were so badly blistered I could barely walk, and I had to stay back at the hotel while the family went on without me (saying I was "tired"). I just feel pretty sure that SOME of the people who object to scooters have that same perspective, so I thought I'd throw that out there ;-) And yeah, weight is something I theoretically have control over - but I don't want that to be a reason why anyone is afraid to do whatever they have to do to make the most of their very expensive vacation!

Post Thanks / Like

You know what adds to a wonderful visit to Disney? A little compassion and understanding for others. Actually, that makes for wonderful days no matter where you are. Going through a Disney vacation (or life) being convinced that the majority of any particular group are scammers to justify your feelings of being put out is beyond sad.
    Susanne

10. Likes Daisy'sMom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a walker, or to call it by it's correct name, a rollator. I'm sorry that I have to stand in a different area and that the driver has us board before you. I'm sorry that you have to wait. I would give anything to be like you. But GOD has given me this life and if I try to enjoy a bit of happiness by going to Disney, I hope you understand that while you were riding the attractions and holding hands with your partner or child, I was getting blisters on my hands because I am trying not to fall down. I am having to stop quickly because you have walked right in front of me or your children are running out in front of me. Just try to understand I didn't pick my disability and would trade with you in a heartbeat.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    I use a walker, or to call it by it's correct name, a rollator. I'm sorry that I have to stand in a different area and that the driver has us board before you. I'm sorry that you have to wait. I would give anything to be like you. But GOD has given me this life and if I try to enjoy a bit of happiness by going to Disney, I hope you understand that while you were riding the attractions and holding hands with your partner or child, I was getting blisters on my hands because I am trying not to fall down. I am having to stop quickly because you have walked right in front of me or your children are running out in front of me. Just try to understand I didn't pick my disability and would trade with you in a heartbeat.
    Very well said!!!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

I am a nurse so I understand completely the needs of people who must use a wheelchair or a scooter. The problem lies with Disney...not with those using mobility devices or their families. They have rights just like the rest of us. If Disney would have some sort of system where an additional bus is provided for persons using mobility devices and their families and maybe those buses could run at specific times and be identified in some way and everyone would know that those buses are first and foremost for those with mobility devices and once those people and their families are on the bus then they can finish filling it with other people. That way it makes it easier for everyone who is in that situation. Now that said...everyone needs to be able to enjoy their vacation and I think it is terrible that those with special needs are sometimes made to feel bad because of others are not more tolerant.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

14. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genie1953 View Post
    I am a nurse so I understand completely the needs of people who must use a wheelchair or a scooter. The problem lies with Disney...not with those using mobility devices or their families. They have rights just like the rest of us. If Disney would have some sort of system where an additional bus is provided for persons using mobility devices and their families and maybe those buses could run at specific times and be identified in some way and everyone would know that those buses are first and foremost for those with mobility devices and once those people and their families are on the bus then they can finish filling it with other people. That way it makes it easier for everyone who is in that situation. Now that said...everyone needs to be able to enjoy their vacation and I think it is terrible that those with special needs are sometimes made to feel bad because of others are not more tolerant.
    I already suggested this, but others felt this would encourage discrimination.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    Let's call a spade a spade - is there an element of fat-shaming in this conversation? I don't think ANYONE is debating the use of these services by people who are disabled for other reasons - but if you are like my husband, he always gets ticked off about "fatties" on scooters clogging up the system when it is their own fault. Now I can SAY that because the last time I went to Disney I weighed nearly 300 pounds and **** near ordered a scooter for myself. God knows, I would have enjoyed the parks more, but I obviously wasn't going to break down and do that, when I already knew my husband's opinion. I had kind of a lousy vacation, actually - I missed out on SO much. There are so many rides over at Universal I wouldn't fit on (or was scared to try), and while Disney rides are much more accomodating, by day 4 my feet were so badly blistered I could barely walk, and I had to stay back at the hotel while the family went on without me (saying I was "tired"). I just feel pretty sure that SOME of the people who object to scooters have that same perspective, so I thought I'd throw that out there ;-) And yeah, weight is something I theoretically have control over - but I don't want that to be a reason why anyone is afraid to do whatever they have to do to make the most of their very expensive vacation!
    Being fat is not a handicap. To call a spade a spade, I am very fat. But I also have 2 arthritic knees (not from being fat, but from years of playing football) and cellulitus from an infectious disease from a few years ago. . I don't use a scooter because i'm fat, i've walked the park when i was, as your husband says, a fattie, I use a scooter because of my knees and legs. if you looked at me, you would see a fattie, but not someone handicaped. I can stand and walk a little way, more than 50 yards though my knees start giving out. If i wore short pants you would see the horrible discoloration on my legs.
    I am a fattie and handicapped. But I have a beautiful wife (believe me i lucked out), a son who thinks the world spins around me, I have a sister and her family who adore me. I am one lucky man. we are all going to Disny on Sunday. Without a scooter everyone one of them would help me and if we were l lucky might see 2 parks in our seven days. I need it. but more importantly they need it, as they would go at my pace, but not able to see as much as they deserve.
    I see lots of people on scooters who do not look handicapped. Fatties, young, old, skilly people. They look healthy but who am i to judge what is wrong?
    Being fat is not a handicap, but being judgemental and assumimg the worst of people you might consider that's a handicap.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I would bet more accidents are caused by people walking and looking at their phones and texting as opposed to anyone in a scooter. I can't tell you how many times people looking down at their cell phones have run into me and they yell at me for not paying attention. I just smile and say i'm sorry.
    Come to think of it, for the safety of everyone should Disney outlaw texting? or have seperate busses for those texing? or a passage for people who are texting?
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

18. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am closing this thread which already ran the gamut in 2013.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

20. Likes Genie1953 liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: