Quantcast GAC Changes - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GAC Changes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    5. DAS will not be used at every attraction... Any attraction which is wheel chair accessible will not be authorized for DAS... So guests in a wheel chair or ECV will have to experience the queue like everyone else, ie waiting in Stand By or getting Fast Pass...There are 38 attractions in WDW in which the queue is wheel chair accessible.. I would suspect those attractions will not utilize DAS... Any attraction which does not have wheel chair access in their queue will use either the exit or the FP line for wheel chair entry...

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    The problem with this statement is that not all disabilities are mobilty disabilities. Not all guest utilizing the GAC has a wheelchair or ECV. So just because a queue is wheel chair accessible will not help those guests whose disability has nothing to do with mobility issues.
    I read the original article posted on this (and keep in mind, Disney itself has not announced the exact rules yet) and my interpretation was not that the ADA accessible rides would not have DAS but that people who have mobility only issues will be expected to use the regular line if it is ADA compliant for wheelchairs.

The article also when on to say in some circumstance people with mobility only issues will not qualify for DAS. An example given was DCA. Apparently all the queues there are wheel chair compliant and the belief is that guest with purely mobility issues would not qualify for a DAS at that park. There is not mention of DAS not being available for guests having different types of issues that prevent them from waiting in certain types of lines.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Yes and no. Actually, the GAC was intended to allow people with disabilities the opportunity to experience all the attractions in a way that takes the disability "out of the equation." Many people who use a GAC have stamina issues or sensory issues or anxiety issues that make it, frankly, impossible to tolerate hours on end in the parks. Just being in the parks is an exercise in tolerance for my son. The constant sensory overload reaches a breaking point with him MUCH sooner than the average guest. So, yes, it was helpful to be able to be "done" riding the things he wanted to ride in a short time so we could exit gracefully before meltdown occurred. On any given trip, we only spend a handful of hours actually in the the parks. This new system has the potential to change that, so we may have to go back to visiting during lower crowd times.
    This is very much my son as well. He can tolerate about 10 minutes in a line before the sounds, the people around him closing in, all the sensory stuff starts overwhelming him.
    Which kind of goes with the post below...
    We do the GAC, but we also do the stroller as a wheelchair. Because while he is mobile, when he gets overwhelmed and on that edge he gets in the stroller and can "hide" under the blanket/sunshade/with headphones.

So now I'm more confused than I orginally was on this new GAC.
    NO way he can do an hour in line, but with his stroller he's going to have to now?
    OR if we have a return time of say 40 minutes, to go wait in another line for 25 minutes won't fly with him because of the crowd in a smaller space. [If the people are around and "out there" [like when we just walk through the park], we're fine, but standing in a line with people right in front/back and sometimes the sides he freaks out after 10 minutes.

Oh boy. Not sure what to do now. It doesn't sound like it's going to be pleasent for him anymore

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    The problem with this statement is that not all disabilities are mobilty disabilities. Not all guest utilizing the GAC has a wheelchair or ECV. So just because a queue is wheel chair accessible will not help those guests whose disability has nothing to do with mobility issues.

My father-in-law, for example, suffers from PTSD from his time at war. He can't tolerate long lines, not because he can't stand for long periods, but because of the often confined spaces, large crowds, and loud noise. Even with the GAC some of the FP lines really gave him great anxiety, and we were very thankful he didn't have to use the regular line because he absolutely wouldn't have been able to tolerate those surroundings for that long. As it was, most days he and mother in law left the park just after lunch and didn't return till much later in the evening because he would get headaches and feel anxiety coming on, so he needed a break from it all. That was his first trip in Feb., and he has raved about the place ever since, in part because he felt that Disney made it possible for him to enjoy as much of the park as he could despite his disability.

We are returning with FIL for Thanksgiving and I hope it's as easy for him to enjoy this trip. However, if what you suggest is true and any attraction that is wheel chair accessible doesn't offer the new assistance card, he may have to skip those attractions. While the new system seems fair for many reason, which I agree with most, it won't make it as easy on guests with disabilities like my FIL as it has been in the past.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

THE SINGLE greatest thing WDW has done for us is give us that red wheelchair tag on our stroller. Our ASD son cannot understand movie theater style seating during shows (basically anything that can't strap or bar him in) and needs to know his personal space. I seriously hope this doesn't end.

We require a wheelchair tag AND a GAC. I make him leave the stroller to wait for a ride and we have always needed to wait in a separate area as he gets overwhelmed. Will this still be possible to get both the tag and DAS?
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

If the people are around and "out there" [like when we just walk through the park], we're fine, but standing in a line with people right in front/back and sometimes the sides he freaks out after 10 minutes.
    This is my son as well. He's 14 now and taller than I am. He doesn't do well in lines and really has difficutly if people touch him or bump into him. We've used the GAC to either go through the fastpass lines or enter at the exit if there was no fastpass entry. Sometimes, the fastpass line was long and crowded. If that was the case, we'd come back later. It sounds like with the new system, that may not be an option any longer.

I'm looking forward to when Disney officially announces the new policy, but it sounds like we may need to change our touring plans for future visits.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I read about this last night. I think it is a much more fair way to do things.

The bottom line is that this new system is fair. And, it will be impossible to abuse it, so I say kudos to Disney for actually finding a workable solution to the abuse problem. A lot of people are going to get angry about this, and I suspect those people who get angry are the very people who are abusing the system in some way or another.

I am just glad we won't be there during this transition phase. Poor CM's.
    Thank you for your response to the new GAC changes. It is great to hear from someone needs the service but does not abuse the service! The few bad apples have made this a nightmare for everyone. You speak for many who need this service but only want what is fair and reasonable for all.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I too am now wondering about the stroller as a wheelchair part. We have never had to get a GAC before, my oldest with sever anxiety and Aspergers has always done fine. But this time we have my daughter who is 2 1/2 and has Down syndrome. She in many ways is like a typical toddler, but she doesn't understand like a typical toddler, and she is a runner so I was planning on getting both.
    I like the idea of the photo, but I am now wondering if I should get something from the Dr before we go to show them.
    Great one more thing to add to my list.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really see this as a bad thing at all. We use a very similar system at Universal where we now spend a lot of our time. I would say the only difference there is, if the queue is under 30 minutes long, they will generally just let you walk through their equivalent of the fast pass line, and a time to come back if it is any longer. Whilst I can see that this may not work for younger children or people that are physically handicapped, it works well for us. I feel that it also helps teach my autistic stepson some patience, as opposed to Disney, he needs to decide which rides he feels are waiting for- with the knowledge ahead of time that he will need to wait. We tend to wander the shops or sit down for a drink or some food. (Once, we were very naughty and had a 2 hour wait for Despicable Me, and actually went to the cinema...)

This is purely a personal response, but I am just so glad that these company's do think of people that are incapable of waiting in lines (My stepson just cannot handle crowds for more than a couple of minutes- and that's exactly what lines are to him- to the point where we couldn't even watch Wishes from inside MK as he was so upset last time, so it is an absolute godsend that we can have any help at all). I'm also well aware that while this will work for us, it won't for other people, so I hope that you all manage to find a way for it to work for your families!
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!
    15- Christmas atGrand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Seem very fair to me. If the line for something (that you're not getting a FP for) is an hour, you should have to wait an hour. And presumably this doesn't stop that person from wandering around or over to something with a short wait in the meantime so I don't see where "what are we going to do for 30 minutes" is a problem.

The GAC was supposed to help make things more equal, not to allow someone to show up and knock out Splash Mtn, BTMRR and Space Mtn in an hour and a half total when each individual ride has a 90 minute wait time by itself.

I'm anxious to see what the official rules are when Disney actually releases the new system. I respect everyone's opinion and I think there are parts of this idea that are fantastic. I know people think it's not fair to be able to go through the fast pass line and knock out a bunch of rides in a couple hours. It's also not fair to watch your kids with autism struggle as they wait and wait and wait. The anxieties that it creates and the sensory issues that they struggle with is heart breaking. And this they live with wherever they go, for their whole lives. Disney was the one place where you could watch your children have the time of their lives for a few days without a struggle.

If you think any of us parents that have to deal with this wouldn't love to be able to stand in the regular line with our typical children you are mistaken. I would hand in my GAC in a second and gladly wait 90 minutes in a line and not have to live with this disability. Yes, some children learn to deal with these things and outgrow some anxieties. Some never will. For those who can't tolerate the waits and the crowds and the sensory overload, Disney may not be the ultimate vacation anymore. What used to be our only vacation destination may not be an option. And if you think waiting around for 30 minutes or so for your time to come up is easy for some of these kids, you might be wrong. A lot of these kids don't want to be in the stores, or sit outside, or walk around in the crowds as that stuff can create a lot of anxiety on their own. It was nice to get them in and out of the parks and then back to the hotel for some pool and down time.

All that said, we will go back. We will try it. And hopefully it won't be our last trip there. Hopefully it will work out well and maybe it's not as bad as I'm anticipating. I think the sudden shock of change needs to settle in as we are planning a trip soon that needs to be re-thought!

Hope I'm not offending anyone. Just trying to share a little insight from a mom with two Autistic children. Disney is their favorite place on the planet! That's all they talk about.

Post Thanks / Like

Default This will not work

Here are my questions to Disney on this subject:
    1. Why is Disney so against asking the disabled for proof from our care providers of our ailments before implementing such a rigid and inflexible plan or said DAS? Even the good ole USA national parks has a special "pass" for entry into their parks in place but we have to PROVE the disability before procuring one. Why have you not chosen to allow us to prove our disabilities if we desire to use the GAC? It is a much simpler approach. True there is Hippa, but if we are volunteering the info in exchange for the program, no foul!
    2. I thought that the GAC with alternate waiting was not only for our family's comfort and safety, but also for the comfort of others waiting in line that did not want my child touching on them, repeating the same sentence constantly, or even having a potential screaming melt down. HOw is the new DAS going to be guarding their trip along with mine?
    3. Why is my special needs family, whom already has a pretty hard existence being asked to do FAR more than any other NORMAL park guest just to have a nice vacation?
    4. What is my family suppose to do while we wait for our 1 ride return time? ARe we expected to pay full price and see a quarter of the park because our children legitimately cannot wait in a line with a bunch of other people? Or we want to protect others from seeing our children's melt downs, pass outs etc?
    5. How well do you think your "normal" guests are going to do while witnessing all the autistic melt downs in not only children but also full grown adults plagued with this disorder? How do you think their vacation will end when their "normal" child sees another child pass out from a seizure or an anxiety black out?
    6. How does this help those of us Mobility cart bound that can't wait in line for long periods of time on foot? Are we just to pay over a $100 bill to come into the park but not ride anything?
    7. Has Disney properties considered all the lawsuits arising from many that will be limited or unable to attend a Disney park in the future because of the new proposed changes? Are they also prepared for any lawsuits that would possibly arise from the meltdowns and the issues, maybe even injuries caused by the new rules?
    No matter how you shake this folks, if they do this, most of us will not be going to the parks. I doubt they want the children and adults alike to have anxiety black outs, seizures or watch a grown adult have an autism meltdown! Seriously, who thought this one up?
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Please, everyone concerned contact Disney and let them know your thoughts and how this will effect yourself or your family!!! IN NUMBERS we could beat this! Message me for the address if you don't already have it for email!
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

....not sure if this was covered prior to now but, stepping around all of the "who deserves what" ...and ..."do you realize how hard it is to cope with .....?" type feedback, I'd hope you all realize that this is occurring because of the MagicBands and the implementation of FP+.

....Disney sunk what was reported to be nearly a billion dollars into the tech to get this started / up & running and eventually "perfected". It's a people / crowd / scheduling, control & management system ...nothing more ...nothing less. But ...because of the monetary outlay ...they will find EVERY conceivable way to use it ...and to use it so that it works. Having a certain number of FP+ "appointments" pre-scheduled ...sometimes months ahead of a guests arrival ...let's them know "who will be where ...and when". Therefore, they need to schedule EVERYONE. They cannot have a pile of persons waving GAC's show up at an attraction and get shoved into the FP line when those spots are in a manner ...already spoken for. It would mess up their "system" that they are creating.

....I will agree that it will definitely be difficult for some people to go to WDW in the manner in which they are / have been accustomed to doing. AND ... I will be the very first to say that my brother's family ...and in particular due to my SIL ...will NEVER go to WDW again ....EVER .... if / when this system is put in place as it's been explained. They got their GAC due to my autistic nephew ...and have whirl-winded through parks in record time because they possessed it ...and they treated it like a game card from Monopoly (ie "Get Out Of Jail Free" card). And then she's miffed when everyone and their brother has a GAC and it's making HER WAIT too long on the FP line?!! We had the MagicBands and the FP+ "test" going on ...and she had the GAC ...and couldn't comprehend ...even the slightest bit ...the need to schedule a FP time to enter a ride.

Like I said ...when it's no longer the sacred "front of the line pass" ....she'll no longer want to go to WDW because of having to do the 'scheduling' thing. And that won't sit well in the "I deserve this, that & the other thing" part of her head.

..in doing what they are supposed to do (based on early reports) WDW is also leveling the playing field ...which has been slanted in one direction for quite some time (though they'll never say that) ...it's all about "people management".
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

I think it sounds great.

I choose to travel to WDW., it's not something I have to do. There are other travel options out there. I have R.A. and two autistic sons and I don't feel that we are owed anything. Disney choses to provide accommodation for people with special needs and go far and beyond providing "equalizing" accessibility. We choose to NOT use the GAC and will not be using the new system either. But it's good to know that there is some reasonable assistance available to those who need it.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ....not sure if this was covered prior to now but, stepping around all of the "who deserves what" ...and ..."do you realize how hard it is to cope with .....?" type feedback, I'd hope you all realize that this is occurring because of the MagicBands and the implementation of FP+.
    I'm sure FastPass + is a factor but from the articles I've read it has a lot more to do with issues at Disneyland and the story that broke a few months this ago about selling GAC access. It's hard not to reevaluate a process when a problem with it shows up on Good Morning America.

There have been rumblings about a change coming for awhile. From all reports DL has a large problem with GACs. Some reports I've seen say up to 100,000 DL annual passholders have GACs. Some are written for months at a time and they are good for up to 6 people. There are also reports that around 1400 GACs are issued daily for DL/D A and that they have noticed a huge use of GAC use at Radiator Springs Racer.

The original article about the changes focuses on DL and D A both of which do not have FastPass +. WDW was presented as an afterthought in the article.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Disneyland Paris policy where only 4 persons were allowed to access lines using their disability card. Also, most of the time waited to the side, until the person who came after you and was given a lanyard was at the front of the line. Seemed much fairer to me.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

This topic is sure to bring up very passionate responses, and already has.

However, I think this change is a good thing for our kids who suffer from Autism, in particular. As parents, we all know how "easy" it is to have our kids deal with things changing. BUT, it is also our duty as parents to teach our kids how to cope with change. This is a good teaching opportunity, IMO.

For those kids who TRULY love going to Disney, and REALLY like certain rides, they will adapt to this. In our "real lives", we use the "work for this reward" style of motivation, which is very typical for Autistic kids. Our kids need to understand that this method applies to life at large, all the way from completing worksheets in school to the day that they, hopefuly, have a job, and work in exchange for a paycheck. Nothing worth having comes easily, and life isn't always "fair." I spend hours upon hours every week trying to get this concept through to my sons. I am making a small dent after 9 years.

Point is, this new system will prompt a conversation in our home before our next trip about how we will proceed. At this point, DH and I are leaning towards skipping the DAS, because our kids are at that point, developmentally, where the world is going to start getting REAL, very soon. It's time to stop giving them an easy out, and teaching them how to manage by making smart choices. It may mean missing out on some rides here and there, but they will have to learn what is worth waiting for and what is not.

The GAC was a wondeful thing, but the truth is, we went a full 6 years visiting Disneyland regularly without one. We only got our first one when we visited WDW for the first time with our boys and our older one had the mother of meltdowns on day 2. We've used it since and admit, have gotten spoiled just a bit with how easy it makes things. Now that our boys are older, we are trying very hard to not make them feel so "different" than everyone else.

I do recognize that everyone has different needs and this approach will not work with everyone. However, I decided to share this in hopes that someone out there would choose to maybe look at this as an opportunity to teach a larger lesson to their kids, rather than bashing the idea before it's even taken off. I think the DAS will work fine. It may be a bit more complicated, but if it's worth it to your child, you will adapt, and so will he/she.

And, for full disclosure, I love Disney parks, but I have at least one son who does not share the love quite as much (the one for whom we get the GAC). I do foresee a future where he does not go along on our trips there, or that I end up going solo more often, simply due to his inability to really handle it well. And, that makes me sad, but I can just add it to the long list of things that make me sad related to my son's condition. Life goes on. He seems to get as much joy out of watching ride videos on You Tube as actually being there, so there's that.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_pups2 View Post
    Here are my questions to Disney on this subject:
    1. Why is Disney so against asking the disabled for proof from our care providers of our ailments before implementing such a rigid and inflexible plan or said DAS? Even the good ole USA national parks has a special "pass" for entry into their parks in place but we have to PROVE the disability before procuring one. Why have you not chosen to allow us to prove our disabilities if we desire to use the GAC? It is a much simpler approach. True there is Hippa, but if we are volunteering the info in exchange for the program, no foul!
    .....certainly sure that Disney does not want their CM's that will work at the DAS stations to have to be 'blessed' with the added duty of determining what ailment / affliction is real ...not real ...etc. They are not there to be 'judges' ...they are simply information clerks ...they are processing paperwork / ID's / photos ...or whatever other required info will eventually be required ...in (hopefully) the most expeditious manner possible.

2. I thought that the GAC with alternate waiting was not only for our family's comfort and safety, but also for the comfort of others waiting in line that did not want my child touching on them, repeating the same sentence constantly, or even having a potential screaming melt down. How is the new DAS going to be guarding their trip along with mine?
    .....thinking I can grasp your concerns ...though I don't think that the 'comfort' of the other guests on line (without disabilities) ...was the foremost concern of Disney when the whole GAC system was envisioned. I would go as far as saying that if Disney ever publicly stated something like, "they were worried that other guests would be put-off by the actions / appearance of someone with a disability" ...that just making such a statement would be considered offensive, prejudicial, and would ignite some form of legal action (lawsuit).

......and that said, I am personally offended by persons that stand on line near me and seem to have an acute fear of showering, soap, and the use of deodorant. But no one is giving them a separate line or waiting area ...nor can I make them "go away".

...and ...'meltdowns' occur on line with non-disabled children. I think that in a a hot, crowded, somewhat stressful environment (in which sometimes the parent doesn't know, or care, when the tolerance limit of the child is reached...because they have laid out a substantial admission fee to WDW and therefore don't care) ...there will be meltdowns. I might offer that those parents are probably the same ones that will allow their child to have a meltdown / temper tantrum in a restaurant, and either not discipline the child, or at least take them out of the restaurant.

3. Why is my special needs family, whom already has a pretty hard existence being asked to do FAR more than any other NORMAL park guest just to have a nice vacation?
    ....???? Looking at the proposed system, I don't see where any person with special needs is going to be asked to go above and beyond what a non-special-needs person (or family) will be asked to do. WDW will now be making your "Disney Experience" as regimented and scheduled as they can possibly achieve.

....having been at WDW 3 weeks ago, and were given the MagicBands as part of their "grand experiment". I'd rate them a C+ for what they are trying to achieve. They were only okay for park admission (speeding the process), okay for purchases / charging to the room, etc ....but having the FP+ 'reservations' for the 3 (or 4) attractions in each park (on one given day) ...was convenient and inconvenient at the same time. You had to plan your day at said park around whet times you were assigned. This will be the same direction for everyone now ...across the board (the "new normal" if you will) ...and also with the DAS as it's been described.

4. What is my family suppose to do while we wait for our 1 ride return time? Are we expected to pay full price and see a quarter of the park because our children legitimately cannot wait in a line with a bunch of other people? Or we want to protect others from seeing our children's melt downs, pass outs etc?
    .....again ...the 'new normal' will be to see the 'lesser' know (not major) attractions during the 'down-time' between the scheduled entrance to the designated attraction. It's what everyone else who has a FP or FP+ does. It's also (as I mentioned earlier) the reason that my SIL will determine that they have seen the last of WDW ...because the don't have the ability to "do" the MK (or any other park) in 3 hours with her "front of the line" pass.

5. How well do you think your "normal" guests are going to do while witnessing all the autistic melt downs in not only children but also full grown adults plagued with this disorder? How do you think their vacation will end when their "normal" child sees another child pass out from a seizure or an anxiety black out?
    .....I'm normal ...(though my wife would debate that) ....and I've seen "meltdowns", I have an autistic nephew in his middle teen years ...and my children have seen his 'meltdowns' over the years (which btw have become fewer and farther between). We were at WDW last year ...and this year, with him ...and have seen improvement ...and a few meltdowns. I don't think many children today ...have not been exposed to someone with some (any) kind of disability. Autism ...has become "main-stream" with the explosion of social media and visual media such as TV and movies. I honestly think that today's children ...are far more resilient than during my childhood years. And I really don't know what you are inferring when you state, "How do you think their vacation will end when their "normal" child sees another child pass out from a seizure or an anxiety black out? ??? What would really happen, (or vacation end) if a "normal" (your words) child witnessed a meltdown of blackout? Perhaps at that moment or shortly thereafter, if the "normal" child was concerned or troubled ...their parents would start a dialogue with them including explanations about to occurrence, indicate to the "normal" child that they need to have understanding, and maybe even exhibit compassion at times like that!! Yes ...something horrible like that might happen!! I have general anxiety disorder ...and sometimes it needs a dose of xanax to relieve. I don't hide it from my family ...they know that it's an illness. That said ...I don't think that anyone in the "normal crowd" will have their vacation "end" badly, or in any other manner than it would have ended without possibly seeing a meltdown or anxiety blackout.

6. How does this help those of us Mobility cart bound that can't wait in line for long periods of time on foot? Are we just to pay over a $100 bill to come into the park but not ride anything?
    ....really don't know how to reply to that ...or what you are trying to say? Persons in wheelchairs / scooters / wheeled walkers or any other mobility device ...are afforded the same access as anyone else. Are you implying that "because you CAN'T wait"(and /or won't wait) ...that you need to get priority access? Doesn't that sort of impart a sense of "separate, definitely not equal, and I don't care if it's that way as long as I'm accommodated in a way that benefits me the most"? I think that's part of what Disney is trying to remove from the system, and was in part created by GAC abuse.

7. Has Disney properties considered all the lawsuits arising from many that will be limited or unable to attend a Disney park in the future because of the new proposed changes? Are they also prepared for any lawsuits that would possibly arise from the meltdowns and the issues, maybe even injuries caused by the new rules? No matter how you shake this folks, if they do this, most of us will not be going to the parks. I doubt they want the children and adults alike to have anxiety black outs, seizures or watch a grown adult have an autism meltdown! Seriously, who thought this one up?
    .....to begin with ....anyone ...at any time ...can file a lawsuit. Even if they are really ....REALLY unwarranted. Will anyone win in a suit against Disney related to this issue? I sincerely doubt it.

....reason being ...they lived by the letter of the law. They provided access ...and that's ALL they needed to do. Your enjoyment of the park (or that of anyone else) is not guaranteed. Are you implying that lawsuits will arise from the new system not being as convenient as the previous one (or for not being as OVERLY ACCOMMODATING as it was)?

....meltdowns there happen on a daily basis ...I'm sure they are not getting a lawsuit filed against them in equal frequency.

....and yes ...many people will find that whatever new system is put in place ...it will not be "what I was used to". And for that reason alone ...many will choose not to go to WDW ...ever.

....going to WDW ...whether you are perfectly healthy ...or stricken by some disability ...is not a "right". Some people CAN go ...and some CANNOT. To that, I can add that some people SHOULD go ...and there are those that SHOULD NOT.

....to the "who thought this up" ...I'd have a good idea that it was some tech savy imagineers ...and a whole passel of lawyers. In the same way that a whole lot of lawyering took place to get ADA Laws put in place.

...now ..all that Disney is doing ..is following the letter of the law.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by margiem View Post
    I have 2 kids with autism and I tell everyone about how Disney really makes it a great vacation for our family. Something we couldn't get anywhere else. I like the photo idea and we always present a doctor's note. Sometimes they read it sometimes they don't. What confuses me is this: you go to a ride, your wait is 30 minutes so you get a FP to come back in 30 minutes. That's great. but what are you supposed to do with them for 30 minutes? you most likely can't get on another ride in that time frame and you can't get another "DAS FP". You might as well wait in line, and for those of us with kids on the spectrum, that is a nightmare. Am I reading the guidelines correctly? Kind of makes me not want to go back. I must be missing something. Please tell me I'm missing something.
    It's so you don't have to physically wait in line. If you'd rather wait in line, that's fine- but then why do you need the card?

Post Thanks / Like

This new system seems totally fair.
    Great points, Jersey Dad.

Post Thanks / Like

Default There is a petition on the subject

There is a petition being circulated about the DL portion. If you wish for the addy pm me please as I am sure they won't let us post it here. Reaching out to DL should also save WDW. Please consider it!
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    This new system seems totally fair.
    Great points, Jersey Dad.
    Have you ever had to console a child of this nature? The idea of having to take MORE time just to criss cross a park so we can see half a park that most will see most or all of is ridiculous. It is not fair. We will do far more work than any normal family. We also have others in our party that SN... 2 grandparents, myself, my son, my niece. How ridiculous does this plan look now?
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: