Quantcast GAC Changes - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GAC Changes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    This topic is sure to bring up very passionate responses, and already has.

However, I think this change is a good thing for our kids who suffer from Autism, in particular. As parents, we all know how "easy" it is to have our kids deal with things changing. BUT, it is also our duty as parents to teach our kids how to cope with change. This is a good teaching opportunity, IMO.

For those kids who TRULY love going to Disney, and REALLY like certain rides, they will adapt to this. In our "real lives", we use the "work for this reward" style of motivation, which is very typical for Autistic kids. Our kids need to understand that this method applies to life at large, all the way from completing worksheets in school to the day that they, hopefuly, have a job, and work in exchange for a paycheck. Nothing worth having comes easily, and life isn't always "fair." I spend hours upon hours every week trying to get this concept through to my sons. I am making a small dent after 9 years.

Point is, this new system will prompt a conversation in our home before our next trip about how we will proceed. At this point, DH and I are leaning towards skipping the DAS, because our kids are at that point, developmentally, where the world is going to start getting REAL, very soon. It's time to stop giving them an easy out, and teaching them how to manage by making smart choices. It may mean missing out on some rides here and there, but they will have to learn what is worth waiting for and what is not.

The GAC was a wondeful thing, but the truth is, we went a full 6 years visiting Disneyland regularly without one. We only got our first one when we visited WDW for the first time with our boys and our older one had the mother of meltdowns on day 2. We've used it since and admit, have gotten spoiled just a bit with how easy it makes things. Now that our boys are older, we are trying very hard to not make them feel so "different" than everyone else.

I do recognize that everyone has different needs and this approach will not work with everyone. However, I decided to share this in hopes that someone out there would choose to maybe look at this as an opportunity to teach a larger lesson to their kids, rather than bashing the idea before it's even taken off. I think the DAS will work fine. It may be a bit more complicated, but if it's worth it to your child, you will adapt, and so will he/she.

And, for full disclosure, I love Disney parks, but I have at least one son who does not share the love quite as much (the one for whom we get the GAC). I do foresee a future where he does not go along on our trips there, or that I end up going solo more often, simply due to his inability to really handle it well. And, that makes me sad, but I can just add it to the long list of things that make me sad related to my son's condition. Life goes on. He seems to get as much joy out of watching ride videos on You Tube as actually being there, so there's that.
    Completely agree with all of the above. Very eloquently put
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!
    15- Christmas atGrand Floridian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said Natalie.

I know some people will always overreact, but the only functional difference between the new system and the current GAC system is that Disney is removing the front of the line / unlimited Fast-Pass-ness feature of the pass. The new system acts as a virtual place-holder in the regular line, simple as that.

I'm paralyzed from the waist down so it's not exactly like I can't empathize with people who have special needs, but I can't see any reason why a particular disability should give a person front of the line access on every ride all day long as many have been using the current GAC system for.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to hear that dnickles but your disability doesn't cause you to have an anxiety attack and pass out to the floor? Does it make it so that you don't understand a lot of things? Those disabilities are the ones that will be hurt most because they are asking us to wait in line to get a pass, then wait to get in line, then wait in the FP line! They are tripling your wait
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_pups2 View Post
    I am sorry to hear that dnickles but your disability doesn't cause you to have an anxiety attack and pass out to the floor? Does it make it so that you don't understand a lot of things? Those disabilities are the ones that will be hurt most because they are asking us to wait in line to get a pass, then wait to get in line, then wait in the FP line! They are tripling your wait
    Sarah, I sympathize with what you have to deal with, but if you have a family member who has anxiety attacks and passes out from being around a lot of people or in confined spaces or from sensory over load, then maybe WDW isn't the place for you...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a petition being circulated about the DL portion. If you wish for the addy pm me please as I am sure they won't let us post it here. Reaching out to DL should also save WDW. Please consider it!
    .....what would this 'petition' say?? I'm deeply curious (really ..I am).

Have you ever had to console a child of this nature? The idea of having to take MORE time just to crisscross a park so we can see half a park that most will see most or all of is ridiculous. It is not fair. We will do far more work than any normal family. We also have others in our party that SN... 2 grandparents, myself, my son, my niece. How ridiculous does this plan look now?
    ....so ...what I'm hearing is ..this is about time? Time ...spent doing something other than you might otherwise want to be doing? Time that you don't have to "waste" ...but, instead should be doled out in the form of a delay to other park guests that have to stand on a line longer than you might want to do ...because you feel that you deserve to not have to your time ...wasted. If that's it ...then I understand completely. What I don't understand is how you claim that this proposed system is not fair?

....I don't see it as they are "trippling" the wait. I see it that they are creating a schedule in which you will be permitted to do an attraction ...with a wait ...that in most cases ...will be shorter than those in the general population "stand-by" line.

....fyi ....I don't play softball anymore ...because in the very first at bat last season ...I literally exploded my plantar fascia ligament in my foot. I can't go near a softball diamond ever again. I also don't skydive ...because jumping out of a perfectly good airplane just doesn't compute with my sense of self-preservation (aka ...scared out of my mind)

....so just as I have a laundry list of things that I cannot / will not do ....perhaps some people should cross WDW off of their lists.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    .....what would this 'petition' say?? I'm deeply curious (really ..I am).

....so ...what I'm hearing is ..this is about time? Time ...spent doing something other than you might otherwise want to be doing? Time that you don't have to "waste" ...but, instead should be doled out in the form of a delay to other park guests that have to stand on a line longer than you might want to do ...because you feel that you deserve to not have to your time ...wasted. If that's it ...then I understand completely. What I don't understand is how you claim that this proposed system is not fair?

....I don't see it as they are "trippling" the wait. I see it that they are creating a schedule in which you will be permitted to do an attraction ...with a wait ...that in most cases ...will be shorter than those in the general population "stand-by" line.

....fyi ....I don't play softball anymore ...because in the very first at bat last season ...I literally exploded my plantar fascia ligament in my foot. I can't go near a softball diamond ever again. I also don't skydive ...because jumping out of a perfectly good airplane just doesn't compute with my sense of self-preservation (aka ...scared out of my mind)

....so just as I have a laundry list of things that I cannot / will not do ....perhaps some people should cross WDW off of their lists.
    The petition is asking Disney to reconsider their present course and there are already almost 4000 signatures since late last night/early this morning.
    My son should get the same consideration especially as a child that has practically nothing normal and never will. So should we just put them all away and they get no normal things at all? With the present GAC we can take him and with pretty good successful try at normal along with many other parents signing the petition. My child's condition is not the only one that will cause him problems for waiting over and over and over again.
    And no it won't be just 1 scheduled wait time, first you have the big wait at the beginning of the day, hopefully the beginning of the trip only where we waste possibly an hour getting our DAS pass, then you have to wait at the kiosk, of which only four for "SEVERAL" rides with a cast person looking at an app of supposed present wait times (which isn't always running or accurate) and physically filling out each card for each person in line, then you have the wait for the ability to get to the line, Then you will be put in the FP line and wait a third time. How is that all fair to a special needs child that doesn't understand one lick of it? They are not considering how many ECVs are going to be in the line either and they will take up 3 walking persons place per ECV. There is much wrong with this outline.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Sarah, I sympathize with what you have to deal with, but if you have a family member who has anxiety attacks and passes out from being around a lot of people or in confined spaces or from sensory over load, then maybe WDW isn't the place for you...
    DizneyFreak 2002, I totally appreciate your sympathy. My child wants to see Disney world, possibly only once through a wish granting place, He does most of the time well but there are those days. The present GAC has eliminated bad reaction from his type of illness and others for thousands of families in the past and we are all saying the same thing... it won't work period. I might have to not go their parks anymore by why make my family suffer if it was fine before and we are willing to document the illnesses for them and do what's necessary so our children can vacation too? Why should yet another normal thing be taken from these kids because they were born broken? And it isn't from being around all the people, it will more than likely be overstimulation that could have been stopped had the old GAC been kept. Disney was built to make things magical for everyone, not the healthy only and that is almost what they are telling many diseases and illnesses by their actions.
    Imagine: you walk into an automobile parts store and saying what part you need and them insisting on giving you a part that might or might not work. You try to explain why it won't work because you are an actual mechanic and work on cars all day and they insist they know better but you know they do not. Why is he trying to force a non working part on you? You inquire, so you don't have the part I need? He says, yes I do.. I just don't want YOU to have it. You ask him why not? He gives you a list of reasons, so do you just junk the car or try to talk to someone that might understand and get it worked out so your car can run again. Let's say the part is even very specialized as Disney is, and no other part store has this part. Do you just junk the car now or try to get the SOMEONE at the dealer to understand? Yes, it may come down to the part store NOT giving you the part anyway and you junking the car but why does it have to when the working part is there?? Does that help everyone to understand? I really am trying here to let you into many special needs person's worlds but you have to think unlike you ever thought before to grasp where we truly are.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah, no disrespect, but is this about your son or about you? Honestly, no offense, all I am picking up from your posts is how your time in WDW will be impacted... Honestly, and again, I sympathize, but if your child is that bad in certain situations, then WDW was and is probably not the place he should be...

If my child had anxiety attacks or went into a rage when seeing the oceans or the sand, I wouldn't go vacation at Virginia Beach cause I love the beach and swimming in the ocean... I'd find a place they could go without being subjected to the thing that causes them distress...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I am hesitant to respond but it is about my entire family of special needs. I apologize if others have been upset or offended by my opinions. I have many special needs family members and friends with special needs and therefore I look at it from a whole on how it will effect everyone. Again I apologize for confusion etc. I do not wish to go into more publicly any longer. I private messaged you. Please respond there. Thank you again.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Default apology

I think I understand now what is rubbing some the wrong way, as a friend pointed out the possible issue. I apologize firstly to everyone that felt that I was acting entitled or that disabled deserve to be treated as more than you all. You are all fine people and I am so sorry if my posts came off that way to you. Please accept my deepest apology. I do not feel entitled to anything but a good vacation which normally Disney has delivered over the last 100 times I have went, the new DAS does scare me with all the special needs we bring to the table. Stated simply, we have many special needs in our family and extended family, we travel with many of these various special needs. I understand a very wide spectrum of disorders and their tolerances and I tend to think "blanket" a bit scatter brained on the topic. I am so very sorry for that. I appreciate everyone's feed back as all your opinions are just as valuable as mine. I hope that if they keep Das that I am very wrong on my thoughts and that it will do splendidly. Thank you to all that took the time to be nicely discuss the matter point by point with me offering both opposite and like opinions. In the end, we all just want a Tiggerific time!
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

It occurred to me that the GAC program appears to have become another victim of the Internet and widespread knowledge about the "pluses" that Disney used to provide its guests. It really irritated me when they stopped allowing late FP entry since sometime ANY child tires out earlier than anticipated, and I enjoyed having that option. But since everyone and their brother learned this Disney FP secret, it became impossible to manage by Disney. It appears the same fate has met the GAC program.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

I think I understand now what is rubbing some the wrong way, as a friend pointed out the possible issue. I apologize firstly to everyone that felt that I was acting entitled or that disabled deserve to be treated as more than you all. You are all fine people and I am so sorry if my posts came off that way to you. Please accept my deepest apology.
    No worries, Sarah. This is an issue that raises deep passion in people, especially when you have multiple special needs people in your family. Having a diabetic son I definitely understand the challenges of having to make special accommodations for a Disney trip and, above all, you want your child who struggles so much with day to day life to have the most magical experience possible at Disney and maybe take a little of that struggle away just for a little while. So, I understand your passion and appreciate your apology.

The truth is, no system will be perfect. It's so unfortunate, but the GAC has been horribly abused and Disney is having to adjust their system. A few bad apples have ruined something that was supposed to be good. There's a lot of things like that in the world. The good news is through my interaction with Disney management (I teach occasionally for the Disney Institute) the new leaders are honestly interested in guest feedback. That's why they've been so slow about rolling out Magicbands and FP+. They've tested, listened to feedback, tweaked, tested more, etc. I think once they implement the new policy they will listen to feedback and continue to tweak. But, again, no system is ever going to be perfect and the days of the previous system are gone forever due to the abuse.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! That was very insensitive to say. (I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but it was) Disney has made it possible for all people young and old(er) to enjoy their parks. Everyone keeps saying these passes are "FRONT OF THE LINE" well the friend I know that uses one has never been ‘FRONT IN LINE’. You still have to wait in the FP line no matter how long it is. So really why make families have to plan to go to the ride and get a pass, then wait 30 or more minutes to be able to BACK to the same ride and get in a long FP line and wait again for another 30 or more minutes. Again remember these are children and adults with disabilities that may have “meltdowns” (in parent’s words) in this waiting period. Just let the card holders get on and off rides like before. Why make it harder for their families. I for one don't have a problem with a family of 6 passing me in line if they have a family member they need to accommodate. We do it now for FP people and it never bothers us.
    Also, I keep seeing people say “go to other rides while you wait” yeah ok that’s never going to work because you will never be able to get on and off another ride across the park or even close to your ride in that amount of time, so therefore you are asking these children (and adults) with anxiety to pace around a ride they really want to be on. I can see where the meltdown would occur. All children have a short wait limit for something they really want, but add anxiety in and you have a bigger problem. Some children you can distract, but others get fixated on doing something and have to do it asap.
    I guess it comes down to the fact that some people will never know what it is like to have a child with a disability. It is a 24/7 every moment of the day worry how this child (or adult) will react to situations. I feel for the parents. I hope this won’t discourage any of them from going to WDW..
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    No worries, Sarah. This is an issue that raises deep passion in people, especially when you have multiple special needs people in your family. Having a diabetic son I definitely understand the challenges of having to make special accommodations for a Disney trip and, above all, you want your child who struggles so much with day to day life to have the most magical experience possible at Disney and maybe take a little of that struggle away just for a little while. So, I understand your passion and appreciate your apology.

The truth is, no system will be perfect. It's so unfortunate, but the GAC has been horribly abused and Disney is having to adjust their system. A few bad apples have ruined something that was supposed to be good. There's a lot of things like that in the world. The good news is through my interaction with Disney management (I teach occasionally for the Disney Institute) the new leaders are honestly interested in guest feedback. That's why they've been so slow about rolling out Magicbands and FP+. They've tested, listened to feedback, tweaked, tested more, etc. I think once they implement the new policy they will listen to feedback and continue to tweak. But, again, no system is ever going to be perfect and the days of the previous system are gone forever due to the abuse.

.....I have to agree with you that the GAC has been horribly abused ...and at the same time horribly mismanaged by Disney. The fact that in the interest of keeping up the Disney image of the Happiest Place on Earth, they have let it become in the minds of those that use it (and those that seek it out to abuse it) ...a "front of the line pass" [even though it's in writing somewhere that it is NOT to be considered as such]

....they created the "monster" ....and now that they are trying to shorten the "monster's" leash to where it should have been in the first place ....everyone is in an uproar.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is, the GAC was never meant to be an unlimited FP/front of the line pass. It even says on the front "not meant for immediate access". It's unfortunate how things have become (and I do feel for people that have genuine need for the GAC)
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I think I lost my last post so if this is a repeat I apologize..... So, not everyone will understand what we go through, nor do I expect them to. I don't feel entitled to anything. I work extremely hard for and with my children and Disney has created a way for those who truly can't tolerate the waits to experience their magic. After our first trip I said that without the GAC I would never go back. I went what I thought would be off season and it was incredibly crowded and 10+ degrees higher than it normally should have been. The GAC saved my trip. It would have been a horrendous nightmare if we didn't have it and we would have never returned. But we did, and we went back again, and then back again and now planning our next trip. And I shell out thousands of dollars for every trip. Why? Because my kids enjoy it. Not because it is easier on me - but because it is easier for them. Because trust me, it is nothing but work for my husband and me (hoping to go alone one trip and experience the adult side of Disney!).

I would be happy to have forms for my Developmental Pediatrician to fill out prior to our trip, submit them to Disney before arriving and I'd even pay an additional fee to keep the GAC card. This so my children can just enjoy something normal (and of course magical). Disney has kind of created a monster, but I can't imagine they can't come up with something better. I've stood in line to get the GAC card and I see them handed out like candy. I knew this day would come I was just hoping it wouldn't be like pulling the carpet out from under me. If they would just make it more official and difficult to get a GAC then thousands of people wouldn't be getting them. And I agree with the poster who said that the clerks shouldn't be in a position to judge who gets one and who doesn't. So make it an official process to get a GAC. Prior to going to all the restaurants I have to fill out a food allergy sheet and talk to all the chefs to make sure they have something my one son can eat. So why can't getting a GAC be more official? There are simpler solutions than to just take it away.

And yes, I suppose there would be those who abuse the whole Dr. note thing too. There's a way around everything. But getting documentation with an official diagnosis from a specialist may not be so easy. I know what you are thinking - now Disney has to pour through all the requests? Yes, that's why I pay them a boat load of money every time I go.

No simple answer here. And not everyone will be happy with the outcome. Fair is not fair to everyone. We will deal, we will try it and hopefully it works out better than I anticipate. But I'm pretty skeptical as of now. Wish us luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah, no disrespect, but is this about your son or about you?
    I would say about HER (she is his voice right now) because she is a MOTHER that would do anything in her power to make her son's life easier..If only for a couple of days a year so he can enjoy the magic and forget the struggles they face everyday..
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

As a person with mobility problems the Americans with Disabilities Act has been a real blessing for me. As has vacationing at Disney, who have done better than most others places I have traveled. Here are some of my thoughts:
    1) As far as I can read here all of this is rumor so far. No one has posted the official word from Disney yet. Am I correct?
    2) The only reason this is really being done at this time is because of the abuse by park goers of the current system. Shame on anyone who ever had any part in this behavior.
    3) This whole discussion has really got me unsettled by what may occur on our Oct. trip when the new system is in place.
    4) I will adjust. I will stay clam. Maybe it won't be as awful as many are thinking. I have no other option if I still want to go to Disney.
    5) Signing a petition will only be a hiccup in Disney's plans. They have to do something about the current abuse problems. There has been to much media attention for them not to try to stop this abuse.
    In closing I hope we can get this discussion back to more understanding of each other and the problems we all deal with. It's difficult enough going through life with handicaps and we sure as heck don't need to be turning on each other.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    As a person with mobility problems the Americans with Disabilities Act has been a real blessing for me. As has vacationing at Disney, who have done better than most others places I have traveled. Here are some of my thoughts:
    1) As far as I can read here all of this is rumor so far. No one has posted the official word from Disney yet. Am I correct?
    2) The only reason this is really being done at this time is because of the abuse by park goers of the current system. Shame on anyone who ever had any part in this behavior.
    3) This whole discussion has really got me unsettled by what may occur on our Oct. trip when the new system is in place.
    4) I will adjust. I will stay clam. Maybe it won't be as awful as many are thinking. I have no other option if I still want to go to Disney.
    5) Signing a petition will only be a hiccup in Disney's plans. They have to do something about the current abuse problems. There has been to much media attention for them not to try to stop this abuse.
    In closing I hope we can get this discussion back to more understanding of each other and the problems we all deal with. It's difficult enough going through life with handicaps and we sure as heck don't need to be turning on each other.
    Kay, I will be there with my Mom in the middle of our vacation when this is supposed to go into effect. I think Mom is like you and uses a wheelchair (I think you use an ECV, but both are handled the same way in this case). From what I can find, people who use a wheelchair/ECV for mobility issues alone will not need to use the DAS system. A DAS is only needed for wheelchair/ECV users if they have additional issues that require shorter wait times.

I'll report back with what we experience on our trip 10/6-10/11.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    WOW!! That was very insensitive to say. (I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but it was) Disney has made it possible for all people young and old(er) to enjoy their parks. Everyone keeps saying these passes are "FRONT OF THE LINE" well the friend I know that uses one has never been ‘FRONT IN LINE’. You still have to wait in the FP line no matter how long it is. So really why make families have to plan to go to the ride and get a pass, then wait 30 or more minutes to be able to BACK to the same ride and get in a long FP line and wait again for another 30 or more minutes. Again remember these are children and adults with disabilities that may have “meltdowns” (in parent’s words) in this waiting period. Just let the card holders get on and off rides like before. Why make it harder for their families. I for one don't have a problem with a family of 6 passing me in line if they have a family member they need to accommodate. We do it now for FP people and it never bothers us.
    Also, I keep seeing people say “go to other rides while you wait” yeah ok that’s never going to work because you will never be able to get on and off another ride across the park or even close to your ride in that amount of time, so therefore you are asking these children (and adults) with anxiety to pace around a ride they really want to be on. I can see where the meltdown would occur. All children have a short wait limit for something they really want, but add anxiety in and you have a bigger problem. Some children you can distract, but others get fixated on doing something and have to do it asap.
    I guess it comes down to the fact that some people will never know what it is like to have a child with a disability. It is a 24/7 every moment of the day worry how this child (or adult) will react to situations. I feel for the parents. I hope this won’t discourage any of them from going to WDW..
    Well said.

Honestly now I'm sad that I even asked any questions in this thread rather than just waiting until we hit Disney again in a couple of weeks.

I hate feeling like I have to or should apologize for having a special needs son. Suddenly I'm either the parent who really isn't parenting and allows meltdowns and/or it's just a discipline problem. Or a parent who hasn't tried other forms of help to get her child to adjust. Or we just feel entitled

Some things are just not black and white.

Oh well, hopefully it will all come out in the wash and my son will still be able to enjoy it. If not. I'm going to be really sad to have to let Disney go
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: