Quantcast GAC Changes - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GAC Changes

Post Thanks / Like

I have an idea. Maybe they should do like the Express pass at Universal. Issue a card with a onetime ride "fast entrance" for families that need to get on and off the rides in a shorter period of time. Let them ride each ride once with the pass and then if you would like to go more you would need to go through what they are offering now. Getting a pass and returning later. I think it would help those families with children/adults that can't handle waiting all day to ride I don't think it would disrupt the process of FP since its one time on each ride. I know my friend would appreciate this. He could ride what he likes and not have to worry about when to return
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    WOW!! That was very insensitive to say. (I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but it was) Disney has made it possible for all people young and old(er) to enjoy their parks. Everyone keeps saying these passes are "FRONT OF THE LINE" well the friend I know that uses one has never been ‘FRONT IN LINE’. You still have to wait in the FP line no matter how long it is. So really why make families have to plan to go to the ride and get a pass, then wait 30 or more minutes to be able to BACK to the same ride and get in a long FP line and wait again for another 30 or more minutes. Again remember these are children and adults with disabilities that may have “meltdowns” (in parent’s words) in this waiting period. Just let the card holders get on and off rides like before. Why make it harder for their families. I for one don't have a problem with a family of 6 passing me in line if they have a family member they need to accommodate. We do it now for FP people and it never bothers us.
    Also, I keep seeing people say “go to other rides while you wait” yeah ok that’s never going to work because you will never be able to get on and off another ride across the park or even close to your ride in that amount of time, so therefore you are asking these children (and adults) with anxiety to pace around a ride they really want to be on. I can see where the meltdown would occur. All children have a short wait limit for something they really want, but add anxiety in and you have a bigger problem. Some children you can distract, but others get fixated on doing something and have to do it asap.
    I guess it comes down to the fact that some people will never know what it is like to have a child with a disability. It is a 24/7 every moment of the day worry how this child (or adult) will react to situations. I feel for the parents. I hope this won’t discourage any of them from going to WDW..
    ....I really don't think what DizneyFreak2002 said was insensitive at all. I also said pretty much the same thing. If a place that is filled with all types of sensory overload stimuli, sometimes harsh weather conditions, and potential waits on a line is going to possibly precipitate a meltdown .....then that place should be avoided. If you are adversely impacted by the cold ...then don't go skiing or live in Alaska.

....I have actually seen persons on the "Resorts" sections of WDW related boards make statements / ask questions to the effect: "I want to stay at AoA ...but I feel that the resort and room decor` may be a bit too much for my son's sensory issues. Does Disney have any rooms there that are painted more plainly or have muted lighting? (I kid you not). Although it may sound crass: NO ...they are not painting a room specially for you! Easy Solution: Don't go to AoA ....done ...end of story.

...I'm not unfamiliar with the rigors of caring for an autistic child. I've also seen how my relative treated the GAC while at WDW ...and how ..even when immediately waved through into the FP line ...it wasn't good enough because there was still a wait. The overt sense of entitlement was mind numbing ...and equally infuriating as I watched someone I know ...get onto / into attractions in 1/5th the time that I could ...and still whine about it because it still wasn't good enough.

....I've also read each and every post on this thread (and several other similar threads on Disney related boards at other sites) ...and I see a distinct pattern. Many persons that have some form of affliction (personally or in the family) are not only railing against these possible changes ...but also presenting "their disability" as being worse than any other (different) affliction. Those with autism have it harder than those with mobility issues. Those with ADD have it worse than someone with cerebral palsy ....and on and on ....

....it's almost like saying that the mandated provisions set forth in the ADA Laws are not enough!! Are there now supposed to be separate ADA Laws that are specifically tailored to each and every disability? Is heart disease or someone with C.O.P.D. to be afforded a special color h'capped parking space that's closer to the store or building entrance because it's a worse disability than someone else has?

....the GAC was supposed to guarantee unencumbered access ...that's it. Unfortunately ...it evolved into a 3" x 5" magic carpet ride for those that deserved it ...and those that did not. But regardless of WHO held the card ...the very second that they entered whatever ride / attraction that honored it ....it had an impact on any & every other person that didn't have one that was waiting on the 'other' line. I suppose that those people's money isn't as green as someone who has a GAC in their possession? I can guarantee you that there were complaints from that camp ...particularly after the news reports on GAC 'fraud' and abuse.

....and ...I'm also not being insensitive. I'm blunt, to the point, and realistic. This is all about people (or masses of people) management .....it's an endeavor to level the playing field for everyone. If however ...when the "field" is level ...and equally accessible to all ...and it still doesn't suit your needs or situation ...then it's time to stop visiting the field.
    Last edited by JerseyDad; 09-20-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ....I really don't think what DizneyFreak2002 said was insensitive at all. I also said pretty much the same thing. If a place that is filled with all types of sensory overload stimuli, sometimes harsh weather conditions, and potential waits on a line is going to possibly precipitate a meltdown .....then that place should be avoided. If you are adversely impacted by the cold ...then don't go skiing or live in Alaska.

....I have actually seen persons on the "Resorts" sections of WDW related boards make statements / ask questions to the effect: "I want to stay at AoA ...but I feel that the resort and room decor` may be a bit too much for my son's sensory issues. Does Disney have any rooms there that are painted more plainly or have muted lighting? (I kid you not). Although it may sound crass: NO ...they are not painting a room specially for you! Easy Solution: Don't go to AoA ....done ...end of story.

...I'm not unfamiliar with the rigors of caring for an autistic child. I've also seen how my relative treated the GAC while at WDW ...and how ..even when immediately waved through into the FP line ...it wasn't good enough because there was still a wait. The overt sense of entitlement was mind numbing ...and equally infuriating as I watched someone I know ...get onto / into attractions in 1/5th the time that I could ...and still whine about it because it still wasn't good enough.

....I've also read each and every post on this thread (and several other similar threads on Disney related boards at other sites) ...and I see a distinct pattern. Many persons that have some form of affliction (personally or in the family) are not only railing against these possible changes ...but also presenting "their disability" as being worse than any other (different) affliction. Those with autism have it harder than those with mobility issues. Those with ADD have it worse than someone with cerebral palsy ....and on and on ....

....it's almost like saying that the mandated provisions set forth in the ADA Laws are not enough!! Are there now supposed to be separate ADA Laws that are specifically tailored to each and every disability? Is heart disease or someone with C.O.P.D. to be afforded a special color h'capped parking space that's closer to the store or building entrance because it's a worse disability than someone else has?

....the GAC was supposed to guarantee unencumbered access ...that's it. Unfortunately ...it evolved into a 3" x 5" magic carpet ride for those that deserved it ...and those that did not. But regardless of WHO held the card ...the very second that they entered whatever ride / attraction that honored it ....it had an impact on any & every other person that didn't have one that was waiting on the 'other' line. I suppose that those people's money isn't as green as someone who has a GAC in their possession? I can guarantee you that there were complaints from that camp ...particularly after the news reports on GAC 'fraud' and abuse.

....and ...I'm also not being insensitive. I'm blunt, to the point, and realistic. This is all about people (or masses of people) management .....it's an endeavor to level the playing field for everyone. If however ...when the "field" is level ...and equally accessible to all ...and it still doesn't suit your needs or situation ...then it's time to stop visiting the field.
    Well no where did I say that I felt my son's "affliction" or "disability" was worse than any others.
    The truth is though, yes sometimes those with "afflictions" DO need some extra help.

Sorry, but my opinion is that you do seem a bit insensitive. Again, just my opinion.

I guess I should just keep my child away from the world since he's not "entitled" to enjoy it like any other person.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

MODERATOR ALERT

Please treat everyone civilly, think before you post, do not engage in personal attacks.

Lets all be adults. If you can't do that - please don't post here.
    Last edited by John; 09-20-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

My bad. I should have expressed my opinion more eloquently

Really the only thing that frustrates me are the insinuations that my child can deal with it in other ways. Sometimes that is very true! Often though it's not Purely because of the symptoms of the disability.

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    I have an idea. Maybe they should do like the Express pass at Universal. Issue a card with a onetime ride "fast entrance" for families that need to get on and off the rides in a shorter period of time. Let them ride each ride once with the pass and then if you would like to go more you would need to go through what they are offering now. Getting a pass and returning later. I think it would help those families with children/adults that can't handle waiting all day to ride I don't think it would disrupt the process of FP since its one time on each ride. I know my friend would appreciate this. He could ride what he likes and not have to worry about when to return
    I like that idea! I have not been to universal in over 10 years [pre kiddos]. So I never knew of that.
    I'd even be happy if the new GAC allowed for the regular entrance [as it is now with GAC but limits it to maybe 1 attraction every hour or so. That way we aren't running back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like

Not everyone with a GAC abuses it. There are plenty of families that used that card for what it was set up to do. Sorry your family used it for their personal entitlement. I also don't think Disney should paint a room for anyone in particular, but if I call and ask if there is a room more suitable for my child (weither it be colors or beds or even lighting) then I don’t see anything wrong with it. Have you ever called a resort to ask if they have certain things in the rooms same thing what’s wrong with asking. I think people have become desensitized to a lot of things in the world because they feel others are benefiting from them. I think it's time we realize we are in 2013 and people with Disabilities are here and they should be treated with respect and YES even a little more asistance then others.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Well no where did I say that I felt my son's "affliction" or "disability" was worse than any others.
    The truth is though, yes sometimes those with "afflictions" DO need some extra help.

Sorry, but my opinion is that you do seem a bit insensitive. Again, just my opinion.

I guess I should just keep my child away from the world since he's not "entitled" to enjoy it like any other person.
    ....I honestly don't remember singling anyone out? I was responding to a pattern of opinions that have been expressed across the board (this one ...and many others that shall be nameless, as well as personal blogs and petition pages that are endeavoring to discuss the same topic ).

...and I don't remember saying anything that would in any manner strike down the ADA Laws or try to take away any provisions set forth in same.

....there are definitely myriads of ADA related things that are done to help those that need it. For example ...those with mobility issues get pedestrian ramps at the corners of intersections ...and at least one barrier free access to a dwelling or place of public assembly. Those with vision problems get braille touch pads installed on ATM's and detectable warning surfaces (those little red or yellow bumps) installed at the aforementioned pedestrian ramps ..or along subway platform edges.

.....the point I was making is that those same ADA Laws were put in place to make places of "public assembly" (of which DLR and WDW are categorized as) ...accessible. When those laws are tweaked or re-interpreted by the owner of such a place of assembly ....they can only 'tweak" them one way ...in "favor" of those to whom the Law was intended to serve. To lessen any of the provisions would be a violation of Federal Law. (ie: Federal ADA Law states that all parking lots need to have 2% of their spaces to be handicapped accessible ...but ...in comparison, NYC has mandated that 5% of all spaces be h'capped accessible ...that's an "upward" tweak).

....the problem is ...that when you tweak a system in the favor of one group (above & beyond it's original intended regulations) ...another group is negatively disadvantaged. In a sense, it's almost like the line out of the George Orwell book, "Animal Farm" ....where the barnyard commandments of animal rights and equality get twisted around so much that they basically state, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, why is there such anger toward those of us that are upset that they are changing the GAC. Guess what? We ARE ENTITLED to be upset. It's our opinion. It's our feelings. This is what the discussion board is for. To discuss it. Not to be yelled at and attacked because we are upset over it. Such judgments..... Hey, guess what else - we do feel a bit sorry for ourselves. Step into our shoes for a day. And not all Autism is the same. Some have it worse than others and simply can't tolerate certain things. And you know what? They have every right to go wherever they want without discrimination. So when Disney welcomes you with open arms and makes it nice for you to go and then turns around and says - too bad for you - it's a devastating blow, especially for these children that love it so much. So for those people who say - "just don't go" - how sad! Why should they be denied the trip of a lifetime. And everywhere you look is Disney. How do you keep your kids away from it. It's not as easy as "just don't go". They are kept away from enough. They don't need to be kept away from Disney too. How do you tell your kids that the one vacation they look forward to every year or two, they can't go anymore? And they will never understand why.

Are you that angry that we are going through the fast pass line? Because I'm that angry that I cannot wait in a regular line. As I stand in the fast pass line and look at everyone in the regular line I wish to God that was me on the other side of the ropes. The judgments really need to stop. Everyone needs to respect everyone's opinions and no one needs to feel attacked because they are unhappy about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this thread has run its course. We will be sure to post any new information regarding this topic in this forum.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Default New wheelchair policy

I hope it will not ruin the experience for the legitimate disabled guests. I am sure many have seen some abuse however, it now appears that these few, have made it a little more inconvenient for the majority of disabled visitors.
    Last edited by Strmchsr; 09-24-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: TOS

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry the title should have been "Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort will no longer allow visitors with disabilities instant access to rides"

Post Thanks / Like

It is in the Guests With Special Needs forum under "GAC Changes". However since the topic is closed I cannot express my opinion and will do so here. I think that by doing this Disney is trying to compromise between Guests with SN, but at the same time accommodating everyone else who feels cheated by the system. Thanks to those that abused the system, guests with SN can no longer be guaranteed a nice Disney vacation. I work with children and adults with special needs and honestly taking care of them is difficult enough. Parents and caretakers of children/adults with SN really benefit from the GAC and I wish they didn't discontinue it.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a good policy, at least a good one to start with. Disney will have to implement it and actually stick to it and see how things progress. I'm sure they will revise if needed.
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: