Quantcast Same rides in FL/CA

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same rides in FL/CA

Been to WDW many time. Leaving soon for first trip to Disneyland. Of the rides that both resorts have, are they exactly the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite. The DLR version is usually better. Plus if you're going end of Sept/early Oct you'll see the cool overlays of the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain that don't come to WDW. Those are extra cool.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by overlays?
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    What do you mean by overlays?
    The Haunted Mansion is given a complete make-over during Sept and Oct and becomes themed with Nightmare Before Christmas (check YouTube and you can find ride-throughs). Space Mountain is given the "Ghost Galaxy" overlay where the music and imagery is changed to more of a haunted space ride. Both are very cool and make for unique experiences.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Not quite. The DLR version is usually better. Plus if you're going end of Sept/early Oct you'll see the cool overlays of the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain that don't come to WDW. Those are extra cool.
    I will have to remember this. I knew about the HM one but not the space mountain. We Will have to take a trip to CA during this time.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

My feel is that there are a few rides that are clearly better in 1 park, or the other. For example, Pirates of the Caribbean and Small World are much better at DLR. They Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror are better in Florida. That said, if you hit the HM when it is set up for Nightmare before Christmas (October), then it adds a new flare that is fun. I would try to coordinate your visit with all the fall/Halloween stuff. DLR does a wonderful job with the fall decor.

Sept. 2019 Disney Dream
    Feb. 2016 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
    Nov. 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2008 All Star Movies
    Nov. 2007 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2004 Port Orleans Riverside
    May. 1999 Off Site
    Sept. 1997 Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    I will have to remember this. I knew about the HM one but not the space mountain. We Will have to take a trip to CA during this time.
    And they overlay It's A Small World at Christmas. It's awesome!

For example, Pirates of the Caribbean and Small World are much better at DLR. They Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror are better in Florida. That said, if you hit the HM when it is set up for Nightmare before Christmas (October), then it adds a new flare that is fun.
    I pretty much agree with this. I like that ToT is a little different at DCA, but it's once in a blue moon that I ride anymore, so it doesn't really matter that much to me. I like the thermal waving effect (for a lack of better words) before the first drop at DCA.

Almost all the Fantasyland rides (the few that are now duplicates) are better at Disneyland. Soarin', Toy Story Mania and Ariel's Undersea Adventure at DCA are the same attraction as WDW, but the queues are different. Jungle Cruise, Splash Mt. and Big Thunder Mt. are pretty much a draw to me.

But like was said earlier, Pirates and Space Mt. are the 2 rides that are far superior at Disneyland. It's honestly a letdown for me at Magic Kingdom when I ride those now.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going after New Years. Sounds like we will miss some great Holiday effects. In what way is Pirates different (better) at DL? I can't imagine liking one more the WDW. It is my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    We are going after New Years. Sounds like we will miss some great Holiday effects. In what way is Pirates different (better) at DL? I can't imagine liking one more the WDW. It is my favorite.
    You'll feel the difference as soon as you float out from the loading area. It's much longer, with more show rooms and more drops. They just didn't have the room in WDW to build it similar to the Disneyland version.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    The Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean tells the WHOLE story. The WDW version is like the cliff's notes.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Since the subject of overlays came up . . . for clarification . . . Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is roughly mid/late September through Halloween - Holiday Haunted Mansion, with the Nightmare Before Christmas cast, is up and running from about mid September through the first week of January - it's a small world Holiday (my favorite!) usually opens up about one week in to November and remains as this version through about half the month of January.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'll comment too. Looking through the posts, I think the advice you've received is 100% accurate, so I'll comment on the smaller things. The monorail is interesting because almost immediatley after leaving the [tommorrowland] station, you see all the hotels and restaurants (and congestion) on harbor blvd, you'll also see some nice views of CA Adventure. In DL, the Monorail is more of an attraction as opposed to WDW's where it's a transportation service. It does have a station near the back of DTD so it can be used as a mode of transportation.
    Also, the tiki room has no preshow, but the nice thing about this attraction is that you can see when it's letting people in as you are walking by so there's no need to wait for it.
    The Disneyland Railroad (which has 4 stations)has a display of (I believe) dinosaurs between the Tomorrowland and Main Street stations, also the trains are different, on one of them all the seats are sideways.

Also, as you already have your plans made I know the subject of overlays will not affect you, but let me comment on them anyway for future trips. The Haunted Mansion Holiday is just the best, if I'm there from Mid Jan-Early Sept, this is an attraction I'll probably only do once, but if I'm there Mid Sept-Early Jan I will do it several times. As for Space Mountain, I strongly prefer the normal ride to Ghost Galaxy, with that said I tend to plan my trips for either November or December. Small World Holiday I can take or leave, good ride, but the originals good too.
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I am about to burst with excitement and anticipation after reading through this thread.

We are taking our first trip to DL this summer. We have been to WDW so many times, I lost count but have never made the trip to DL because I also had the WDW is bigger and better mentality. FP+ nudged us in the direction of going to DL instead.

I am so fired up right now, I can hardly sit here and type. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I am about to burst with excitement and anticipation after reading through this thread.

We are taking our first trip to DL this summer. We have been to WDW so many times, I lost count but have never made the trip to DL because I also had the WDW is bigger and better mentality. FP+ nudged us in the direction of going to DL instead.

I am so fired up right now, I can hardly sit here and type. lol

Well, whatever it takes to get you to the original Happiest Place on Earth! lol

You should be bursting with excitement - it's incredible. No mega planning necessary. A little is advisable, but overall it's so much more laid back.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: