Quantcast Family guilt

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Family guilt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Family guilt

As most of you know we just got back from a trip to DL. My husband has an Aunt and cousin that lives close so we always spend a couple of days with them. This was our 4th visit in 6yrs. last two times we went to the beach, this time we went to the mountains. We also took lunch to their house one afternoon. We rent a van and they drive one day and then pay a cab 50 dollars to go their house. We also invited them to DL one day and we would pay for tickets. Then the rest of the vacation we did what we had planned without them. I get the feeling that his aunt is annoyed we didn't spend more time with them. I love them but also want to do my stuff too. I know I didn't do anything wrong but can't help feeling guilty. Any advice?
    TRACEY

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Opus X Guest

Live your life....and don't give a hoot if she is upset.
    I certainly, in no way, would feel guilty.
    Next time, just goto Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Let it go. I know it's easier said than done, but you shouldn't feel bad for doing what you needed to do. You deserve a vacation that doesn't involve hassle, stress, or keeping up with family. Family visits aren't always vacation. If you can combine them, great. There's not always enough time to do everything, and there's nothing wrong with choosing what suits you best. Plus, 4 visits in 6 years is pretty good. I think you've done a good job of keeping up with family and maintaining a healthy balance for you. No need for guilt.

But if the aunt wants more of your time, maybe it just means that she enjoys your company and she cares, not a bad thing, even better not to overdo it. You could always invite the aunt and cousin to come visit you next time.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my advice:
    Don't feel guilty one little bit!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you were thoughtful to include them on several activities on your vacation.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jillirose View Post
    I think you were thoughtful to include them on several activities on your vacation.
    Absolutely. They should be content that you choose to share part of your vacation with them. My wife has an Aunt and cousins in San Diego and we stay with her for a few days, then spend 3/4 days somewhere on a getaway, and return to her house a couple days before we leave. It works for all of us -although I do believe we get the better part of the deal!
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

This used to happen a lot to my husband and I when we travel to China. Our first 4 trips there were almost completely taken up by family members, we barely had any time to ourselves. When we did jet off somewhere without family we would get comments like, "You're going to fly all that way just to see the terracotta for a couple of days?! So much money wasted! Just stay here with us!". Of course we went and saw the terracotta anyways.
    We decided that our elders are not always right, (that can be hard to come to in Chinese culture), and put our foot down. We promised to spend time with everyone, but we are going to have our own time too, no "buts" about it! After all, we are the ones who are taking the time and money to fly all the way from the US to China, so we should be able to do what we want on our trip! You do the same as well Tiggerlovr9000.

Post Thanks / Like

Aw, I'm sorry. Don't feel guilty. Sounds like you were extremely thoughtful. Yes, you definitely should not feel guilty. Family has the tendency to do that to you. It's still your vacation and you have to enjoy and do what you want, too. You are fine. Don't worry about it.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I know you are right. We will just proceed as usual without the guilt.
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, no guilt is warranted. If they want to see more of you, maybe they can travel to your house next time.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Yeah, no guilt is warranted. If they want to see more of you, maybe they can travel to your house next time.
    Exactly.

Jan

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: