Quantcast New GAC/"disabled policy: Please Read :) - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ....I've not seen the "system" that is employed at LegoLand ...but I do know that the disabled assistance systems at Universal, and Sea World are basically the same as the new DAS at Disney. I'm kinda' wondering if Disney used those systems as a model for the DAS ...and 'tweaked" it a bit so that it's not exactly alike?
    Legoland is basically the same as the DAS. We live 20 minutes from there and rarely ever go. You get times written in to come back. When the park is crowded it's generally an hour to hour an half until your return time. When crowds are low, typically they let you go then.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Legoland is basically the same as the DAS. We live 20 minutes from there and rarely ever go. You get times written in to come back. When the park is crowded it's generally an hour to hour an half until your return time. When crowds are low, typically they let you go then.
    ....I feel like an idiot ...I've 'heard' of Legoland ...but am clueless to where it is?
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

....I feel like an idiot ...I've 'heard' of Legoland ...but am clueless to where it is?
    It is about 36 miles south of WDW, in Winter Haven. It is about 5 miles from where I live. Still haven't been there.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    It is about 36 miles south of WDW, in Winter Haven. It is about 5 miles from where I live. Still haven't been there.
    You aren't missing much [Just my opinion].

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel like an idiot I know quite a few people make a day trip over when doing WDW. It's nice having some local to us, but it's small and can get boring really easy.
    I think personally it's a big far for all the tourists who do traveling to come to Orlando and then have to travel about an hour to go see it. I do think maybe they should have built closer to all the other attractions.

Post Thanks / Like

....I've not seen the "system" that is employed at LegoLand ...but I do know that the disabled assistance systems at Universal, and Sea World are basically the same as the new DAS at Disney. I'm kinda' wondering if Disney used those systems as a model for the DAS ...and 'tweaked" it a bit so that it's not exactly alike?
    Actually, I called Universal and they immediately told my family that there was a chance that due to our extensive needs and several handicap that we might be given the express pass for free. You can also stay on grounds at one of their deluxe resorts and receive Express passes that allows unlimited express uses for each ride for each person for everyone in your party for every day you have a ticket and lastly you can purchase a slightly downgraded pass that allows 1 express entry per ride per day per person. So, NOTHING like Disney which told me "We have the DAS and we may be able to help a little more once you are in line here after you have paid to get in". Universal is actually willing to work with you which is not the answers I have been getting from Disney CM's nor from the families that gave this DAS a chance.
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_pups2 View Post
    Actually, I called Universal and they immediately told my family that there was a chance that due to our extensive needs and several handicap that we might be given the express pass for free. You can also stay on grounds at one of their deluxe resorts and receive Express passes that allows unlimited express uses for each ride for each person for everyone in your party for every day you have a ticket and lastly you can purchase a slightly downgraded pass that allows 1 express entry per ride per day per person. So, NOTHING like Disney which told me "We have the DAS and we may be able to help a little more once you are in line here after you have paid to get in". Universal is actually willing to work with you which is not the answers I have been getting from Disney CM's nor from the families that gave this DAS a chance.
    ....I was aware of the Express Pass at Universal ...because a few yrs back ...we, and another family did an off-site day to Universal, and purchased the Express Pass (this was about 2008 or 2007). It was a decent sized up-charge for each person ....but worth it since we were there only one day. But, I'm guessing that Universal isn't just handing over the same type pass for free to everyone that claims a disability.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

....I was aware of the Express Pass at Universal ...because a few yrs back ...we, and another family did an off-site day to Universal, and purchased the Express Pass (this was about 2008 or 2007). It was a decent sized up-charge for each person ....but worth it since we were there only one day. But, I'm guessing that Universal isn't just handing over the same type pass for free to everyone that claims a disability.
    At least Universal is trying to accommodate in a more adequate way than Disney and their "DAS" or nothing.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

At least Universal is trying to accommodate in a more adequate way than Disney and their "DAS" or nothing.
    I am sorry you are having a hard time, but is Universal ACTUALLY going to help you? From your previous post….

Actually, I called Universal and they immediately told my family that there was a chance that due to our extensive needs and several handicap that we might be given the express pass for free.
    Or is just having the option to purchase an express pass what you mean by them being more accommodating?
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's see.. I called Disney 6 times, mentioned that my child is traveling on a wish from a wish granting site and to find out if his wish org will be recognized as stated (I like to be thorough), their own site says ALL wish granting org travelers will be given different system access but yet they only acknowledge 2 orgs and half their employees don't even know this information. When you read online they still say "case by case", yet most the stories I hear were DAS or nothing and when I call it is DAS or nothing.
    Universal first call and they are at least discussing other possibilities and they have other possibilities
    to offer. I think I believe Universal. Not only that but at least if I stay at Universal I get express for free and insure my son's wish isn't ruined. Disney simply doesn't care.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I have not been on the boards in forever so I apologize that I am late to the game on this one. I am a grown adult and my mom recently alerted me to this (gotta love moms!) change as we have a family trip happening on Dec 12th.

I have Spina Bifida and use a manual wheelchair full time for mobility. I have never used a GAC card in past visits as I wait in the regular lines or use the WC accessible queues where needed (mostly the older rides nowadays). In looking at the other related posts on here, it sounds like that would not change for me, correct? It appears to be status quo.

To those who relied on the GAC cards in the past, best of luck to you with the new DAS system. Based on many posts on the forum, it definitely seems like it will affect some families and folks who relied on its convenience and assistance in making park visits manageable for those with special needs.
    4/12 - All Star Sports
    12/10 - All Star Sports
    12/09 - All-Star Sports
    12/08 - All-Star Movies
    8/08 - All-Star Movies
    11/07 - Yacht Club
    7/98 - Wilderness Lodge
    10/96 - Disneyland
    7/94 - Dixie Landings
    Prior to 1990 - too many to mention!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EditReject View Post
    I have Spina Bifida and use a manual wheelchair full time for mobility. I have never used a GAC card in past visits as I wait in the regular lines or use the WC accessible queues where needed (mostly the older rides nowadays). In looking at the other related posts on here, it sounds like that would not change for me, correct? It appears to be status quo.
    Yeah basically no change. I use either a wheelchair or a walker due to my legs being mostly paralyzed and there's almost nothing different for those of us with an obvious physical disability with the new system.

The only difference is that at places where you used to go to a separate handicap accessible entrance and get right on (like Big Thunder Mtn Railroad), you instead go to the main entrance first and get a card that you can then use at the handicap entrance after the appropriate wait time is up (i.e. if the wait time for BTMRR is 45 minutes when you show up you'll get a card saying you can enter the handicap entrance in 45 minutes).

Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's see.. I called Disney 6 times, mentioned that my child is traveling on a wish from a wish granting site and to find out if his wish org will be recognized as stated (I like to be thorough), their own site says ALL wish granting org travelers will be given different system access but yet they only acknowledge 2 orgs and half their employees don't even know this information. When you read online they still say "case by case", yet most the stories I hear were DAS or nothing and when I call it is DAS or nothing.
    Universal first call and they are at least discussing other possibilities and they have other possibilities
    to offer. I think I believe Universal. Not only that but at least if I stay at Universal I get express for free and insure my son's wish isn't ruined. Disney simply doesn't care.
    Sorry that you are unhappy with Disney's phone response to your concerns. I must say though that I see the purple genie lanyards in our park every day, and those guests are being given expedited and courteous access to the attractions. I assume that most of them are from Make-A-Wish, but not all.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you WDWDriver. I appreciate that. I have left message after Message for Mark and he hasn't called me back. We are still trying to get my son's wish changed over to Make A Wish. All I know is that my organization said that they were told their organization would not be recognized. :-(
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: