Quantcast Riders stuck on Rip Ride RockIt for 3 hours

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Riders stuck on Rip Ride RockIt for 3 hours

There are many news articles (I'm not linking or copying/pasting because I think it's against the rules) about 12 riders being stuck on Rip Ride Rockit for almost 3 hours last night ... stuck at the TOP of the highest part of the launch

I love that ride, but every time I ride it and we are at that point of going straight up in the air and you feel like your body has left the seat and is only held in place by the overhead bar ... I have to admit it always crosses my mind "what if" we were stuck. So scary.

They had to call Orlando Fire to rescue them. It seems like the ride should have some type of manual override where you could safely move the coaster cars backwards or forwards.

Anyway, I'm so thankful that no one appears to have been injured, but WOW ... I may think twice before riding that ride again (although, that is a shame because it really is one of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden and it is SO MUCH FUN).

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that on the news this morning. The mere thought of being stuck in the position they were for that long would do me in.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I don't know what's worse being stuck for 3 hours, or the fear of getting out of that position that high up. I would be terrified that me or my kids would somehow fall while being rescued.

Still won't stop me from riding it again.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

That ride is always in the press with problems. I won't ever ride it. Not wiling to gamble. It doesn't seem safe.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    I love that ride, but every time I ride it and we are at that point of going straight up in the air and you feel like your body has left the seat and is only held in place by the overhead bar ... I have to admit it always crosses my mind "what if" we were stuck. So scary.
    I agree--when you are going straight up at the beginning it's not so much that you are resting in your seat as sliding slightly backward against the shoulder restraint. It's an uncomfortable feeling for the 5-8 seconds it takes to get to the top; I can't imagine being in that position for three hours.

Anyway, I'm so thankful that no one appears to have been injured, but WOW ... I may think twice before riding that ride again (although, that is a shame because it really is one of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden and it is SO MUCH FUN).
    See, now I think that ride is one of the roughest rollercoasters I've been on, and I will go on any rollercoaster, anywhere. When it went straight down the "hill" (which is really almost a face-down drop), my head banged terribly against the shoulder restraints. I could only do the ride twice because of this. It didn't seem smooth at all.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

That rollercoaster is ALWAYS breaking down. We spend a lot of time at Universal each vacation and it never "works" for the whole day. There have been times when we are there and it's not working at all.

I never ride it for those reasons.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Just rode it twice... No issues.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Just rode it twice...
    So I guess the line's not that long.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't tell from the news reports on TV, but were they stuck facing up or facing down?

Facing up would be difficult, but facing down for that long would be FREAK OUT TIME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Middle of the Map View Post
    I couldn't tell from the news reports on TV, but were they stuck facing up or facing down?

Facing up would be difficult, but facing down for that long would be FREAK OUT TIME.
    Up... it was the lift hill they were stuck on... right before you go over the first hump and drop... So they were looking at the sky for 3 hours...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    So they were looking at the sky for 3 hours...
    Better than the ground.

My brother, his friend, and I got stuck at the top of one of those free-fall rides (think ToT not enclosed) the summer before it cut a girl's feet off (Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom). We sat there for 15 or so minutes until they fixed the problem, and then we fell with no warning. Being stuck at the top wasn't too worrisome. The no-warning fall after sitting there was a bit of a shock.

I wasn't terribly surprised when they shut that park down.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have been so I can't handle the big rollercoaster’s. I usually do them ONCE and that's way more than enough for me. My kids on the other hand love to ride. I can't even imagine being a parent waiting for their child to get off that night. Thank God no one was hurt...
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just did that one 2 times in a row on the recent solo trip. I really love the ride.

I'm really most curious about which song they chose. Just imagine if it was stuck in an endless loop for 3 hours! 3 hours of Evanescence, Insane in the Brain, U Can't Touch This or Kickstart My Heart over and over and over and over...
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

I would hate to be stuck like that. It's an OK ride, but I remember when I rode it and when we were going up , the position was very uncomfortable and I had the worst inner ear pain. I think it threw my equalibrium off. My family didn't have the same issue as I did, but it was painful to me and so I usually skip that ride now. I can't imagine being stuck that way for hours.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

My boys love, love, love this ride and when I told them about this last night, their response was "I'd take a nap!" and "how boring that would be." Seriously? Oh to be a fearless youngster again. I'd be a complete and total basket case. Not kidding. I'd most likely freak out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    My boys love, love, love this ride and when I told them about this last night, their response was "I'd take a nap!" and "how boring that would be." Seriously? Oh to be a fearless youngster again. I'd be a complete and total basket case. Not kidding. I'd most likely freak out.
    Me too. I would lose my mind. Right there with you.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from US IOA and rode the Rip Ride Rockit Coaster. I love coasters and was looking forward to the experience.

We were seated and the bar came down. We immediately moved forward and started up the tower. At that point I was convinced I would slide right out of my seat backwards.

Fortunately, it was a quick ride to the top. Once we went over it was a rather rough trip. I was banged back and forth in my seat and the air time was not that enjoyable.

It's too bad because watching it was a lot of fun. Riding -- not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from US IOA and rode the Rip Ride Rockit Coaster. I love coasters and was looking forward to the experience.

We were seated and the bar came down. We immediately moved forward and started up the tower. At that point I was convinced I would slide right out of my seat backwards.

Fortunately, it was a quick ride to the top. Once we went over it was a rather rough trip. I was banged back and forth in my seat and the air time was not that enjoyable.

It's too bad because watching it was a lot of fun. Riding -- not so much.
    Still rough? Maybe you ride one of the older trains... The new trains were supposed to make the ride smooth... I love coasters too, but with all the issues they have with it, I refuse to ride it... I'm not even sure I want to ride Dragon Challenge or Hulk anymore either... I find them rough as well...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Still rough? Maybe you ride one of the older trains... The new trains were supposed to make the ride smooth...
    Perhaps it was an older train. I know it was filthy and the music selection pad was so gross I didn't want to touch it.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it was an older train. I know it was filthy and the music selection pad was so gross I didn't want to touch it.
    Yuck... that is disappointing to hear... But with this description, sounds like you had an older train...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: