Quantcast Main Street USA Bypass

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Main Street USA Bypass

I read on another site that they are planning on building a permanent bypass on the right side of Main Street. This is the same backstage area that is used for moving people through when crowds are heavy on Main Street. The big difference would be that it will be themed so you won't get to see the backstage area. If this true hope they do it it right.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the need for a bypass a relatively new phenomenon? I mean I don't recall there being a need for using them until maybe 5-10 years ago. Now it seems commonplace to just open up backstage areas and let people see your laundry.

Am I right that Fantasmic maybe brought this idea to be used in other parks?

I'd rather address the issues causing the need for this than opening up bypasses.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm actually fine with it. If done right, I think it could be pretty cool.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what they'll be selling along this route.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I wonder what they'll be selling along this route.
    Probably nothing. This route has been in use for a number of years but only when needed due to high crowds. Right now it's just a backstage route past a CM break area, parked cars, equipment, backsides of stores etc. It's completely unthemed. They say it will be themed but since it is intended to route crowds around Main Street they aren't going to put things in there to slow you down but at least it will be onstage which is an improvement.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Is the need for a bypass a relatively new phenomenon? I mean I don't recall there being a need for using them until maybe 5-10 years ago. Now it seems commonplace to just open up backstage areas and let people see your laundry.

Am I right that Fantasmic maybe brought this idea to be used in other parks?

I'd rather address the issues causing the need for this than opening up bypasses.
    They have been using it when needed for years. Now it's going to be a themed passage way which is a major improvement on what it is now.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Wow -- this is so weird. I was literally just looking at that area on Google Maps a couple of days ago and thinking that would be an interesting area for an expansion of Main Street.

DisneyRox, I'm guessing that between there being a ever-greater number of hotel rooms on property due to DVC, as well as enormously popular special, singular events being held like the Monstrous Summer all-nighter, the need for opening up that backstage area for Main Street crowds has increased.

From reading the reports of events like that, it sounds like they certainly have to do something about crowd control, and letting fewer people in wouldn't be on their radar.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Probably nothing.
    My post was mostly tounge in cheek... but... I don't think there's a chance in The World that Disney would allow a prime spot where thousands of people walk by without selling something.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had the pleasure. Where does it let out on the other end?
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

First I'm hearing of it, but I have been redirected this way backstage, our most recent trip at WDW.

Reminds me of Disneyland Paris, too.

In Paris, although more due to colder weather covered walkways are on BOTH sides Main Street called "arcades" ("Discovery Arcade" on the Discoveryland, i.e. Tomorrowland, side and "Liberty Arcade" on the Frontierland side. Theirs have back access to most of the shops. We totally used them to avoid crowds early and late in the day. And they're totally themed.

Not sure if WDW will take the indoor approach, but I could see how this might parallel?
    =) Travis

WDW, multiple visits. DLR, many years ago pre-DCA. Disneyland Paris, one amazing two-day visit. Up next: Disneyland Shanghai, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, and Disneyland Hong Kong!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    I've never had the pleasure. Where does it let out on the other end?
    In June they were letting anyone that wasn't staying for the fireworks out that way. We came out in the corner by Tony's. There weren't a lot of people using it but I thought it was a great idea.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they'll relocate the dumpsters. We were rerouted back in June and the smells were less than Disney-like
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I've exited that way after fireworks during the busy Christmas season, I always look to see if it's open to avoid the crowds. They had rolled out a few plants to hide the uglies (dumpsters).. I've always thought they could pretty it up by hiding and moving a few things. I would think they will continue to only use it only for crowd control and it wouldn't be a place you could visit regularly.

While in Disneyland, running the half marathon in 2008, the run entered Disneyland through a similar back street.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

The (current) bypass has only been used (as far as I know) during very PEAK busy times (Easter, 4th of July, Christmas/New Year's, etc.).

It runs from just behind the Plaza Restaurant (between Main Street and Tomorrowland) down to the corner between Tony's Town Square Restaurant and the Chapeau (hat shoppe).

It's just a parking lot for the Main Street managers and office help.

Sounds like they plan on doing like what they have at Disneyland Paris and closing it in, making an enclosed "corridor" behind the Cinema, Uptown Jewelers, Bakery, etc.

The article I read:

"The Magic Kingdom will soon begin work on a new permanent Main Street U.S.A bypass that will provide an alternative exit to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. During parades and firework shows, guests are currently directed to exit the park behind the buildings on the east side of Main Street. The new Main Street bypass will be built behind those buildings. What is not known is if it will be elevated, at ground level or be a tunnel. Construction is expected to start soon."

Ummm...the utilidors (tunnels) below the park *are* ground-level; the park itself is the "second floor"
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    The (current) bypass has only been used (as far as I know) during very PEAK busy times (Easter, 4th of July, Christmas/New Year's, etc.).

It runs from just behind the Plaza Restaurant (between Main Street and Tomorrowland) down to the corner between Tony's Town Square Restaurant and the Chapeau (hat shoppe).

It's just a parking lot for the Main Street managers and office help.

Sounds like they plan on doing like what they have at Disneyland Paris and closing it in, making an enclosed "corridor" behind the Cinema, Uptown Jewelers, Bakery, etc.
    Jim, the bypass was open when we were there in June 2011 as the crowds were enormous for viewing the Magic, Memories and You show and the fireworks. From other people's reports, it sounds like crowds may be picking up at other times too, maybe making this more and more necessary for safety at the end of the night.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

My post was mostly tounge in cheek... but... I don't think there's a chance in The World that Disney would allow a prime spot where thousands of people walk by without selling something.
    What about the exit out of Fantasmic!???? That is a relatively nice walkway with no shops, restaurants, or other $$$ vacuuming venues.....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    What about the exit out of Fantasmic!???? That is a relatively nice walkway with no shops, restaurants, or other $$$ vacuuming venues.....
    It's been a long time, and I've only walked it once, but doesn't that dump you out on Sunset Blvd so you still have to walk by all the stores on Hollywood Blvd?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a long time, and I've only walked it once, but doesn't that dump you out on Sunset Blvd so you still have to walk by all the stores on Hollywood Blvd?
    The one I'm thinking about brings you out by the gas station at the Crossroads...near the entrance/exit.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Sure wish I would've found the bypass on our last trip. It was right after Wishes on a non-MVMCP night. That means that everyone at WDW has crowded in, and I mean crowded, to see 1 of 3 weekly Wishes that doesn't cost an extra $60. I've never been a part of such chaos and insanity, from the Hub all the way to the bus stop. Either they need to open up these bypasses and mark them clearly, they need to offer Wishes more times during Christmas.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Sure wish I would've found the bypass on our last trip. It was right after Wishes on a non-MVMCP night. That means that everyone at WDW has crowded in, and I mean crowded, to see 1 of 3 weekly Wishes that doesn't cost an extra $60. I've never been a part of such chaos and insanity, from the Hub all the way to the bus stop. Either they need to open up these bypasses and mark them clearly, they need to offer Wishes more times during Christmas.
    It's not open on every night. I don't think "everyone at WDW" was there...LOL...but, I know whatcha mean.

I think that this new walkway will help alleviate the crowds every night. Paris' walk-through is very nice (it runs right across the back of the Main Street stores, like the Emporium, etc.), so it's very convenient.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: