Quantcast Main Street USA Bypass - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    The (current) bypass has only been used (as far as I know) during very PEAK busy times (Easter, 4th of July, Christmas/New Year's, etc.).

It runs from just behind the Plaza Restaurant (between Main Street and Tomorrowland) down to the corner between Tony's Town Square Restaurant and the Chapeau (hat shoppe).

It's just a parking lot for the Main Street managers and office help.

Sounds like they plan on doing like what they have at Disneyland Paris and closing it in, making an enclosed "corridor" behind the Cinema, Uptown Jewelers, Bakery, etc.

The article I read:

"The Magic Kingdom will soon begin work on a new permanent Main Street U.S.A bypass that will provide an alternative exit to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. During parades and firework shows, guests are currently directed to exit the park behind the buildings on the east side of Main Street. The new Main Street bypass will be built behind those buildings. What is not known is if it will be elevated, at ground level or be a tunnel. Construction is expected to start soon."

Ummm...the utilidors (tunnels) below the park *are* ground-level; the park itself is the "second floor"
    We were ushered out that way last year when we were trying to exit the park on a night that they were having MVMCP. The park was not that busy & my first thought was that Walt would highly disapprove to the non-magical ending to our day
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So just read on another site that in addition to the Bypass there is plan to add another ring around the hub and create more viewing areas for fireworks. Anyone heard about these additional plan?
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    So just read on another site that in addition to the Bypass there is plan to add another ring around the hub and create more viewing areas for fireworks. Anyone heard about these additional plan?
    Yep... The byway won't be themed to the max though, so we need to temper those expectations...

Magic Kingdom will be losing part of the moat... The question is: will the moat be filled in or will the moat be left and flow under the new guest use areas...

All being done for crowd control... Hate losing part of the moat, but the truth is, this needed to be done...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Yep... The byway won't be themed to the max though, so we need to temper those expectations...

Magic Kingdom will be losing part of the moat... The question is: will the moat be filled in or will the moat be left and flow under the new guest use areas...

All being done for crowd control... Hate losing part of the moat, but the truth is, this needed to be done...
    The unofficial drawings look like the moat closest to Main Street would be covered. I also read that they may install artificial grass in some areas to serve as additional areas to watch fireworks.

As for the bypass it self, anything will be better than the current way they use that area. Seeing dumpsters and a parking lot is a lousy way to end the day. I just hope they don't go cheap, but my hopes are tempered at best.
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

The unofficial drawings look like the moat closest to Main Street would be covered. I also read that they may install artificial grass in some areas to serve as additional areas to watch fireworks.

As for the bypass it self, anything will be better than the current way they use that area. Seeing dumpsters and a parking lot is a lousy way to end the day. I just hope they don't go cheap, but my hopes are tempered at best.
    Yes... They are extending the hub so to speak... The blue print plans do call for grass areas and more pathways to help spread out the crowds... The only thing not really clear is, if this is going to be built over the moat or if the moat will be filled in...

And I've tempered my hopes of a well themed bypass too... Don't get me wrong, they'll have it presentable, unlike now... But not themed like Main Street...

Both projects really were needed...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

On one hand I'm sort of disappointed they're going to so dramatically change the landscape of this area and also that it's certainly going to make a big mess while we're there on vacation in April/May.

That being said I have to agree that something really needs to be done. The congestion in this area is just unspeakable. It has to be cleared out and made to flow better.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot take credit for this info, got it on another site by someone who knows and has seen the plans:
    To start with, this beautiful low budget "East Street" will only be open for crowd overflow, just like today. Unlike today, it will have very nice looking walls on either side of the street, preventing you from getting very close to the backs of the actual Main Street buildings. In front of those fake walls on "East Street", there will be some very nice lighting and landscaping, along with nice, and somewhat decent sized trees! (Imagine that!) Fake windows will be installed on the back of the real Main Street buildings, to give you at least something to look at. There will also be a couple themed billboards advertising Main Street's various businesses.

The East Street path itself will be paved with concrete (instead of the asphalt they have there today) and that new concrete will be fitted with steel rebar in the path, so parade floats can traverse the area. So far I have seen no evidence of any use for this new parade route, though with the new sound system they just installed, it is now possible to change which direction parade traffic flows in the area (even take different paths) and create very unique routes for different parades. This doesn't mean anything now, but if they would want to build a parade storage building off of East Street in the future, they could. Even with this new path, there will still not be enough room to fit full size floats through the gate between the Chapeau and Tony's Town Square. They are, however, trying to make that opening as large as possible, but it's still just not big enough.

Post Thanks / Like

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...hways-gardens/

This has more to do with the hub enhancements bit there is a nice rendering of the finished project. I must say it appears it will look very nice when completed. Also looks like parts of moat will be covered.
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...hways-gardens/

This has more to do with the hub enhancements bit there is a nice rendering of the finished project. I must say it appears it will look very nice when completed. Also looks like parts of moat will be covered.
    Please, please tell me this is a rough draft because in it the rose garden is gone!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

They have a corridor on the right side of main street in DLP. I would love if they would do the same in MK. The smell from the bakery was awesome. Never failed...always stopped for a brownie or Chocolate Chip Cookie. This would save literally 10 minutes getting out of the park at closing.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely I am not the only one thinking that the new area will soon become a "revenue stream" and Disney will charge a premium for this preferred seating.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they are taking out the rose garden.

Quote from Thomas Smith on the blog, responding to someone with the same question:

"The entire area around Cinderella Castle will be redesigned, including the Rose Garden. When complete, the area landscaping will feature many different types of plants, including roses."

<sigh!> This is really a shame. Those little out-of-the-way, charming places in the Magic Kingdom are becoming harder and harder to find.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Overall I'm not against these changes, but I have to say I'm saddened to learn the Rose Garden is being affected-- for sentimental reasons. That is where my husband proposed to me.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Overall I'm not against these changes, but I have to say I'm saddened to learn the Rose Garden is being affected-- for sentimental reasons. That is where my husband proposed to me.
    Oh yeah, that IS a bummer, Maryanne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamiem View Post
    They have a corridor on the right side of main street in DLP. I would love if they would do the same in MK. The smell from the bakery was awesome. Never failed...always stopped for a brownie or Chocolate Chip Cookie. This would save literally 10 minutes getting out of the park at closing.
    They are not going to be doing the bypass to look anything like DLP... I described above what they are going to do... Nothing fancy, just presentable... No new facades, no new entrances to stores.... Just billboards, walls, plants, trees... Nothing fancy...

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    Surely I am not the only one thinking that the new area will soon become a "revenue stream" and Disney will charge a premium for this preferred seating.
    FP+ viewing areas...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: