Quantcast how long before Maelstrom becomes 'Frozen'

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how long before Maelstrom becomes 'Frozen'

coming out of Frozen tonight (in 3D..very good movie, but not yet Beauty and the Beast), I immediately thought of Maelstrom being overhauled into a Frozen attraction. A lot of elements are already there..Trolls, water. I could imagine Elsa, instead of the main troll, freezing the air above you, as you start to ride backwards. Olaf instead of the bear! Then a plunge into a restored city!

And then...a 3D short movie based on Frozen

What do you think?
    First visit 1971
    Annual pass member
    Visit 2005
    May 2005 become DVC Member!!!
    Last visit 2006
    Last minute 2007 trip (for my 50th Bday)
    January 1, 2010 for 8 days
    January 2, 2012 for 7 days!!
    November, 2013, quick trip
    October 2014 1st time with future son-in-law

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drosenbe View Post
    coming out of Frozen tonight (in 3D..very good movie, but not yet Beauty and the Beast), I immediately thought of Maelstrom being overhauled into a Frozen attraction. A lot of elements are already there..Trolls, water. I could imagine Elsa, instead of the main troll, freezing the air above you, as you start to ride backwards. Olaf instead of the bear! Then a plunge into a restored city!

What do you think?
    ....don't give them any ideas!! They already trashed the Stave Church!!
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Maelstrom is great just the way it is and it tributes Norway well.

If they were to re-do it into a "frozen" attraction they would ruin it with all of those silly screens showing animations all throughout the ride. Think Nemo and new Little Mermaid.

Post Thanks / Like

They have a princess meet and greet there for the new characters, and I think that's enough. I like Maelstrom how it is.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    They have a princess meet and greet there for the new characters, and I think that's enough. I like Maelstrom how it is.
    Exactly, agreed. I don't mind meet and greets coming in, and I wouldn't mind if they could make Maelstrom a little longer (it's so short!) but I would object to making it a character themed ride.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Maelstrom is great just the way it is and it tributes Norway well.

If they were to re-do it into a "frozen" attraction they would ruin it with all of those silly screens showing animations all throughout the ride. Think Nemo and new Little Mermaid.

.....actually ...think of the boat ride in Mexico ...and how they butchered it with those ridiculous cartoons playing all over the place.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drosenbe View Post

What do you think?
    I can totally picture what you're saying - a lot of elements are already there. But I too, love the ride just as it is.... although I wish it were longer! We always FP this ride because I can't see standing in line for 30+ minutes for this 2 minute ride. But it's always a must-do for me when I'm in WS And whenever I were the perfume I bought there it brings me right back to that ride in Norway!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    .....actually ...think of the boat ride in Mexico ...and how they butchered it with those ridiculous cartoons playing all over the place.
    Good point. They messed that ride up so bad, we don't even ride it anymore and have dismissed it. It is terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jerseydad with the Mexico ride which was one I really enjoyed especially at the beginning going in front of the Volcano. I have not been on it since the first ride after the animation. The most ridiculous and annoying interruptions. The Norway ride is perfect the way it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno52 View Post
    I agree with Jerseydad with the Mexico ride which was one I really enjoyed especially at the beginning going in front of the Volcano. I have not been on it since the first ride after the animation. The most ridiculous and annoying interruptions. The Norway ride is perfect the way it is!
    .....the most annoying part ...to me ...was that when the ride was over ...I realized that it was nothing more than one long ...and annoying ...sales pitch. Because at the exit of the ride ...was a large display of stuffed "Caballeros" characters ...right in my face.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think that is a good idea. I thought Frozen was fantastic and this could be a good way to add some new life to a dated attraction. Maelstrom is one of my favs in Epcot but I think if done right it could be great. And let's be honest - how many of us really stay and watch the film? So something new might revitalize that part of the attraction as well!

And since they already have the princesses there for the Akershus I don't think it would be too far fetched.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy View Post
    I actually think that is a good idea. I thought Frozen was fantastic and this could be a good way to add some new life to a dated attraction. Maelstrom is one of my favs in Epcot but I think if done right it could be great. And let's be honest - how many of us really stay and watch the film? So something new might revitalize that part of the attraction as well!

And since they already have the princesses there for the Akershus I don't think it would be too far fetched.
    .....is there something wrong with an attraction "just" being straight-forward educational? The 'cartoonification' of Epcot is disappointing and sickening.

....they destroyed Spaceship Earth with that ludicrous "make your own future ...CARTOON" at the end ...as well as the condescending narration by Judy Dench.

....then there is that abomination in the boat ride in Mexico.

....my youngest daughter was 7 yrs old the first time we went to WDW (she's 17 now) Her immediate favorite park was Epcot ...and more specifically, the World Showcase. But this past trip, she expressed a definite dislike of the changes that were made in Mexico ...telling me she missed the 'cliff divers' and the 'market scene'.

....it's a shame that a cartoon character needs to be affiliated with EVERY attraction ...because someone in the WDW money-counting-room wants to sell something.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to think about is they don't need to mess up anymore attractions at Epcot......two thirds of the guests are already always standing in line for either Soarin or Test Track. I can remember when we actually used to have to stand in line for the ride in Mexico but I haven't seen a line for it in years since they put those awful animation screens in. It is always walk on now. Nemo hasn't had a line since its first year, most people skip it. We havn't ridden it in a few years either.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the sentiments about the ride itself, but the film needs an overhaul. If not utilizing the Frozen connection, at least update it with current images and technology. Norway would be spectacular in HD.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

If Frozen is to be made into an attraction, then MK and Fantasyland is where it belongs... NOT in Epcot... They already ruined Future World, they are on the verge of ruining World Showcase too...

For what it is worth, it is rumored a Princess fairy tale hall similar to what MK just received replacing Snow White is coming to the open area next to Norway... May as well, they already had the princesses invade a place they don't belong...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be nice to update Maelstrom. Frozen is a cute movie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Another thing to think about is they don't need to mess up anymore attractions at Epcot......two thirds of the guests are already always standing in line for either Soarin or Test Track. I can remember when we actually used to have to stand in line for the ride in Mexico but I haven't seen a line for it in years since they put those awful animation screens in. It is always walk on now. Nemo hasn't had a line since its first year, most people skip it. We havn't ridden it in a few years either.
    ....the most "involving" feature of Nemo ...is trying not to trip and fall while walking through the ridiculously long and meandering queue ...and the seagulls at the entrance ...when they are working.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

....the most "involving" feature of Nemo ...is trying not to trip and fall while walking through the ridiculously long and meandering queue ...and the seagulls at the entrance ...when they are working.
    Seriously. lol
    Why don't they take that crazy meandering que out and just make a straight path to the ride? It isn't like there is ever a line or people are fighting to get on it. Or better yet, just scrap the whole thing, take those stupid screens out and put a decent attraction in.

Post Thanks / Like

Put me in the group that wouldn't want to see this change. The World Showcase pavilions are supposed to highlight the countries they represent, not the latest Disney animated film that could somehow plausibly be tied in to the country.

Post Thanks / Like

The seagulls ARE the highlight of the Nemo attraction - these attractions with the display screens as u ride thru is such a cheap cop-out of how it should be done. Can you say the death of audioanimatronics?

Oooh yeah, I miss the cliff diver scene in Mexico - forgot that one....

As for Maelstrom - a big freshen up of the ride would be great but keep it as is -- a Frozen themed anything sounds much better suited for MK
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL