Quantcast Derek Jeter says '14 will be last year

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Derek Jeter says '14 will be last year

Derek Jeter says '14 will be last year
    ESPN.com news services

New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter announced on Facebook that the 2014 season will be his last.

"The 2014 season will be my last year playing professional baseball," the Yankees captain said in a 15-paragraph note on the social media site.

Jeter called Hal Steinbrenner on Wednesday morning to inform him of his plans to retire but asked the owner to keep the news quiet, team president Randy Levine told ESPNNewYork.com.

A certain Hall of Famer, Jeter said in the Facebook post that, "Through it all, I've never stopped chasing the next [World Series title]. I want to finally stop the chase and take in the world."

Hampered by injuries last season, Jeter played in just 17 games and hit a career-low .190 with one home run and seven RBIs.

For his career, Jeter has 3,316 hits with a .312 batting average and 256 home runs. He ranks first in Yankees history in games played, at-bats, hits and stolen bases.

A five-time World Series champion and the 1995 AL Rookie of the Year, Jeter would be eligible for the 2020 Hall of Fame voting.

"In the 21-plus years in which I have served as commissioner, Major League Baseball has had no finer ambassador than Derek Jeter," MLB commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "Since his championship rookie season, Derek has represented all the best of the national pastime on and off the field. He is one of the most accomplished and memorable players of his -- or any -- era."

In his Facebook post, Jeter thanked "The Boss, the Steinbrenner family, the entire Yankees organization" as well as managers, coaches, teammates, friends, family and the fans.

"I will remember it all: the cheers, the boos, every win, every loss, all the plane trips, the bus rides, the clubhouses, the walks through the tunnel and every drive to and from the Bronx," the post read. "I have achieved almost every personal and professional goal I have set. I have gotten the very most out of my life playing baseball, and I have absolutely no regrets."

Jeter's final series as a Yankee is set to be at Fenway Park against the rival Boston Red Sox, starting Sept. 28.

Within minutes of the announcement that was posted to Jeter's Facebook page, ticket prices started soaring on the web.

Ticket aggregator TiqIQ said that the cheapest seat for the game at around 2 p.m. ET, before Jeter's announcement was posted, was $26.

An hour later, the site didn't have anything for less than $200.

Jim Holzman, CEO and president of Boston-based Ace Tickets, the largest broker in town, saw a huge uptick as well.

Ace raised the prices for a bleacher seat from $129 to $149. A field-box seat jumped from $275 to $349.

Information from ESPN.com's Darren Rovell contributed to this report.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad but we saw it coming after the injuries last year. DS22 called me to buy tickets for the last home game and the prices were already jacked up with bleachers starting at $300 a piece. Presale is next week so hopefully he'll be able to grab something cheaper than that. He's been a die hard Jeter fan since he was five years old - through the good times and the bad - so I'm hoping he can snag two.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so bummed, but I too saw it coming. Hoping to snag some tickets to see him one last time. Thanks for all the great memories Jeter.

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprising. And now I have to find a way to make a trip to NYC happen...
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

A great last game for him at Yankee stadium last night....with a walk-off winning RBI, couldn't ask for a better ending.

While I am a lifelong METS fan and never watch the Yankees unless they are playing the METS, I couldn't miss his last NY game. He was so touched by the fans and he seemed so appreciative. What a great player and a perfect ending to his playing career.

I don't think he will stay away from baseball for too long, and will be back in some sort of capacity.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    A great last game for him at Yankee stadium last night....with a walk-off winning RBI, couldn't ask for a better ending.

While I am a lifelong METS fan and never watch the Yankees unless they are playing the METS, I couldn't miss his last NY game. He was so touched by the fans and he seemed so appreciative. What a great player and a perfect ending to his playing career.

I don't think he will stay away from baseball for too long, and will be back in some sort of capacity.
    Phillies fan here and I thought it was pretty awesome to watch as well! He is not the greatest Yankee player ever, but very well may be the greatest Yankee person in how he carried himself throughout his career. I like how a lot of the '96 Yankees were there last night as well.

I also think he will work with the Yankees at their Tampa facilities, as that is where he will be living in baseball retirement (he built a huge house on Davis Islands, a neighborhood in Tampa).
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    ...very well may be the greatest Yankee person in how he carried himself throughout his career.
    Definitely!

BWV & HH

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: