Quantcast Disney Plans More 'Cars' and 'Incredibles'

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Plans More 'Cars' and 'Incredibles'

From Variety:

Disney Plans Third ‘Cars,’ ‘The Incredibles 2′

Walt Disney Company chief Bob Iger said Tuesday that Pixar plans to produce a third installment of its “Cars” franchise, and a sequel for “The Incredibles.”

The executive made the announcement during the company’s shareholders meeting in Portland, Ore., providing few other details.

“Cars 2,” Pixar’s 12th film, earned nearly $560 million worldwide in 2011; $191 million in the U.S. While somewhat of a critical disappointment, the film, directed by John Lasseter, still minted millions for Disney from consumer products like toys, apparel and other merchandise, a series of “Cars Toons” shorts, and helped spin off the company’s newest franchise, “Planes,” a film that was originally developed as a direct-to-homevideo title but went on to launch its own toy line and earn around $220 million worldwide when it was released theatrically in 2013. A sequel, “Planes: Fire and Rescue” bows July 18.

Cars Land also has been a major draw for Disney’s California Adventure theme park in Anaheim, helping turn around that park by significantly boosting attendance.

The first “Cars” bowed in 2006, earning $461 million ($244 million domestically).

“The Incredibles”-director Brad Bird is writing the sequel for the superhero pic, Iger said. Bird is currently helming Disney’s live action “Tomorrowland,” starring George Clooney, in theaters May 22, 2015.

In addition to the new films, Disney plans to re-release “The Incredibles” in 3D, as well as “Ratatouille,” the way it’s reformatted Pixar’s “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2,” “Monsters, Inc.” and “Finding Nemo.”

Fans have long been requesting an “Incredibles” sequel since the film went on to earn $631 million in 2004. The film’s characters are strong sellers in the Mouse House’s “Disney Infinity” game.

Pixar’s upcoming films include 2015′s “Inside Out,” which takes place inside the mind of an 11-year-old girl, Thanksgiving’s “The Good Dinosaur,” and the “Finding Nemo” sequel “Finding Dory,” in 2016.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Cars 2 was not good. It really wasn't ... I was very disappointed in that film. It sort of took the worst from the original, amped it up, and left out any of the material that made the original film charming and endearing. I'm not really thrilled about a Cars 3 ....

Incredibles 2 I guess we'll have to wait and see on, although outside of the Toy Story franchise (in which all three films have been outstanding) I haven't been over the moon about any of their sequels. Monsters University was cute, but not nearly as good as the first one.

I'd honestly prefer they skip the sequels unless they're going to be committed to maintaining the quality of the franchise the way they've done with TS.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ian.

BUT .... I love love love The Incredibles (and quote lines from it on a daily basis .... ). We loved the Jack Jack Attach short, so I will hold on to hope that a sequel will be equally Incroyable!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

It kind of feels like now that Pixar is under the Disney name, it's playing the Disney sequel game. While I love all the Toy Story movies and didn't think Cars 2 was terrible (I LOVED all the Japanese jokes and references), I still prefer new material. I want new stories and characters to fall in love with.

Post Thanks / Like

They are, apparently, finding it hard to come up with new characters and ideas.

While I understand that sometimes you may think there are move adventures that particular characters might be good for, there is a certain dignity in telling your story and moving on. It is a rare exception when a sequel is as good as the original, even rarer that it is an improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't need another Cars movies though I loved the Mater Tall Tales shorts they did. I would rather see something like that than another full length feature.

I'm lukewarm on Finding Dory. If it focuses on Dory and brings in a lot of new characters, I think I'd like it but I don't really have an interest in seeing more of the other characters. I was good with where their stories ended.

Incredibles 2 is interesting to me but I think that is because it is traditional for super heroes to have continuing stories. So fingers crossed for this one.

I do agree with you Melanie that Pixar has developed sequelitis. I hope it stops.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    They are, apparently, finding it hard to come up with new characters and ideas.
    But isn't that what the brains and talents at Pixar have always been praised for? It's a shame if that is truly the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Cars 2 was not good. It really wasn't ... I was very disappointed in that film. It sort of took the worst from the original, amped it up, and left out any of the material that made the original film charming and endearing. I'm not really thrilled about a Cars 3 ....

Incredibles 2 I guess we'll have to wait and see on, although outside of the Toy Story franchise (in which all three films have been outstanding) I haven't been over the moon about any of their sequels. Monsters University was cute, but not nearly as good as the first one.

I'd honestly prefer they skip the sequels unless they're going to be committed to maintaining the quality of the franchise the way they've done with TS.
    Exactly
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    But isn't that what the brains and talents at Pixar have always been praised for? It's a shame if that is truly the case.
    Personally, I don't believe that to be the case... As you said originally, Pixar is now under the Disney umbrella... Disney milks money making franchises are all the money they can get out of it until the franchise is destroyed... That is now my biggest fear for Star Wars... Too much Star Wars is not necessarily a good thing... They will milk Star Wars for every penny they can make (and they will make billions no doubt)... Just like they are doing with Toy Story (and yes, they will kill it), Cars, Nemo, now Incredibles... Sometimes too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing..

With that said, if these weren't money making franchises, you wouldn't see sequels like you do... and yes, this is strictly a Disney move/decision...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Two words. Merchandising opportunity. Cars is a solid merchandise empire. Cars 2 stunk, but they still sold the HECK out of all the merchandise.

I have a feeling Incredibles 2 is due to increased interest in those characters as a result of Disney Infinity. Also, the focus on "superheroes" due to the Marvel aquisition...making a sequel to Incredibles is a smart move. Plus, that movie's ending left it wide open for a sequel. I am okay with both of these.

Apparently, Pixar's latest attempts at original stories haven't worked too well. Whatever happened to that The Good Dinosaur movie?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I do agree with you Melanie that Pixar has developed sequelitis. I hope it stops.
    Disney was always behind the cheapquels...

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I don't think the well is dry, I think the bean counters don't want to pay the price for developing a new story.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Disney milks money making franchises are all the money they can get out of it until the franchise is destroyed... That is now my biggest fear for Star Wars... Too much Star Wars is not necessarily a good thing...
    Some might argue that Lucas already milked that baby dry! I don't think there much meat left on that bone.

Post Thanks / Like

Incredibles 2- YAY! From day one DH and I have always thought this had a lot of potential for a sequel. But Cars 3? My first thought is

Look. Anyone who has been on these boards a while knows that Cars is not my favorite Pixar film. I really like the characters, but the film itself felt too long and just didn't do much for me as a childless adult. If I had a kid in the target age I probably would've been forced to watch it more and may have gained more appreciation for it, who knows. Cars 2 is the only Pixar movie I have never even seen because the previews didn't interest me and it got not-so-great reviews. Carsland, however, is amazing, and I get the merchandising appeal. I still don't think it needs another sequel, but if they have to do it, I hope they get it right this time.

By the way, I love all 3 Toy Story movies, and I LOVED Monster's University. It's missing the poignancy of the Boo storyline but I thought it was so stinkin' funny, and DH and love to laugh, so it was right up our alley.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Maryanne, you used a good word there when you mentioned "poignancy." The word I would use is "heart", but I think we're saying the same thing.

Cars moved me. During the James Taylor scored "Our Town" segment I teared up. Good Pixar films always drag you all the way up and down the emotional spectrum. It's cliche, but "you laugh, you cry, you love."

Monsters University and Cars 2 just never even came close to that ... at least not in any meaningful way.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cars 2 was horrible, however both my boys love both the Cars movies, so whatever makes them happy, makes me happy. I'll gladly take them to see Cars 3, I just hope its going to be much better than Cars 2.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Maryanne, you used a good word there when you mentioned "poignancy." The word I would use is "heart", but I think we're saying the same thing.

Cars moved me. During the James Taylor scored "Our Town" segment I teared up. Good Pixar films always drag you all the way up and down the emotional spectrum. It's cliche, but "you laugh, you cry, you love."

Monsters University and Cars 2 just never even came close to that ... at least not in any meaningful way.
    You're right. The best movies have us feeling a wide range of emotions. MU was more of a kiddie version of Old School, with a focus on the comedy rather than a message. It's funny, because this is the problem the current Muppet release is having... The 2011 reboot had such a sentimentality to it that the new one is criticized for not having enough "heart." What's even funnier is a Monsters U short called "Party Central" was before it! We enjoyed both, but I think I'm beginning to understand the criticism a little better.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to see a sequel to ratatouille, and i think a sequel for incredibles would be good as well

Post Thanks / Like

Cars 2 didn't even come close to the original, and Monsters University was cute at best. I think we're the only family on the planet that didn't care for Toy Story 3 (but loved the first two). We weren't that crazy about Planes. I would be really surprised if Cars 3 came out well. Now, another Incredibles I have high hopes for! Like someone mentioned, the ending was perfectly set up for a sequel.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: