Quantcast Kouzzina to close 9/30/14; Trattoria al Forno Opens December '14

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Kouzzina to close 9/30/14; Trattoria al Forno Opens December '14

It is being reported that Kouzzina will close on 9/30/2014 and then be replaced by a new restaurant. I have not seen an official announcement yet.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from a week's stay at Beach Club Villas. I have to admit, as I looked across the water at Kouzzina, that I didn't think it would last much longer. I liked it the one time our family ate there, but I've seen so many negative reviews from others that I didn't think it was very popular among regulars. I hope something else delicious goes there.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Farewell to the best non-signature restaurant on property. What a shame.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I hope we get a good replacement, but I've had some really good meals at Kouzzina and will miss it. Spoodles was really popular before Kouzzina went in that same space. I wonder why restaurants there don't seem to last long, and what will come next.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I never ate at Kouzzina. after looking at the menu, it never appealed to my taste. Frankly what is missing at the Boardwalk is a Quick Service location similar to the food courts in the value resorts. The food at the stands on the boardwalk is barely edible. The ESPN Club and the Big River Brew Works basically sell "Bar Food", The Flying Fish is a high end choice. Other than the small selection at the Boardwalk Bakery there is no true Quick Service.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the reason it is closing is the same reason I've never eaten there. I think the menu sounds interesting and yummy but I am an adventurous eater. The problem is its far too exotic for my mom and nothing my son would try, so I would never be able to eat there unless I was traveling alone. I've noticed that most of the restaurants in the WS will have something on the menu simple and kind of plain that will appeal to picky eaters but I don't see anything like that at Kouzzina. Disney being a family vacation, I don't see a lot of people with kids eating there either....too bad for those folks tired of the same ole same ole

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Just made my breakfast reservation for our June trip! One more sweet potato hash before it is gone. . .

Post Thanks / Like

It was a must do on our trips. We will truly miss it.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

How sad. I ate there when I took my friend who was married to a Greek man and the food was really good. I hate that it is going away. I always encourage people to try it out when I book them.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    I suspect the reason it is closing is the same reason I've never eaten there. I think the menu sounds interesting and yummy but I am an adventurous eater. The problem is its far too exotic for my mom and nothing my son would try, so I would never be able to eat there unless I was traveling alone. I've noticed that most of the restaurants in the WS will have something on the menu simple and kind of plain that will appeal to picky eaters but I don't see anything like that at Kouzzina. Disney being a family vacation, I don't see a lot of people with kids eating there either....too bad for those folks tired of the same ole same ole
    MississippiDisneyFreak, I think you're right on the money with your analysis. We ate there in 2012 and although my meal was just good, my wife's was amazing. My daughter, a huge Food Network fan, thought she'd love it. Unfortunately, there was nothing that appealed to her. She hated her meal, as did my DS3. In fact, it's become a joke wih her. All bad meals are compared to Kouzzina's now for her.

Too bad. I'd go back. So would my wife.
    Last edited by MrPeetrie; 03-24-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Last day of operation for Kouzzina has been confirmed for 9/30/14.

A new dining venue is tentatively scheduled to open in the same location "Late Fall 2014".

Joint Statement from Cat Cora and the Walt Disney World Resort:
    After five successful years operating Kouzzina by Cat Cora, we have decided to move on to new opportunities ... We are very appreciative of the amazing Cast Members who made Kouzzina by Cat Cora such a popular destination. Our collaboration has been an incredible adventure and we are very proud of the restaurant we created and the experiences we provided to countless families who enjoyed everything Walt Disney World Resort has to offer. It is our hope to work together again in the future.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I will miss it. It was our go to breakfast spot when we stayed at Boardwalk. Yummy fig compote French Toast for me and lots of Mickey Waffles for the kids.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    I really doubt this, actually. I don't think you have to be adventurous to enjoy Kouzzina, though it certainly doesn't cater to picky. Still, the place was always packed when we were there, as was Spoodles before it. Though, both were always good bets to get last minute reservations so maybe there's something to it. I don't know.

I tend to think it's more that the profit margin was off for Cat Cora to continue. Despite the success of the F & W festival and claims that people see the inebriated everywhere during that time, I think that Disney venues, being very family friendly places, maybe don't make as much money on alcohol sales as might happen in other locations, making it a daunting process to try to break even.

Most restaurants lose money on their food, especially those that feature high end ingredients, but they can usually count on making that up in alcohol sales despite a significant markup. Maybe not so at a place like Kouzzina, which has to compete with the close Epcot restaurants for customers, and people going to the Boardwalk to drink might be saving it for some of the clubs nearby. Plus, Cat Cora's wines were pretty bad. I like wine with dinner, but I would usually pass at Kouzzina. Though the Ouzo was good. Opa!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    It's my second favorite non Signature, and I am so bummed. My son and husband celebrated their birthdays here one year and got a double Opa. DS was 3 at the time and he loved his meal and watching the kitchen. It will be missed by our family.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why, but I've never had a desire to eat there. Sorry to hear that some of you are upset. Hopefully there will be a good replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there last year and just found it average am sorry to say ..But i did find the place to dark and grey to be honest and for a mediterean themed restaurant was surprised how drab it was inside .
    But i hope they replace it ASAP i tend to agree with DVC John it needs a really good counter service there
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I don't care for Greek food, so Kouzzina was never on our list of places to try.

The only time we were in the restaurant was one afternoon that we were walking the Boardwalk. Cat Cora was at the restaurant doing meet and greets, so we went inside to meet her and get a pic. She was so friendly (and also soooo petite!!)
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sad to see it go. We ate here on our last vacation and it was a memorable meal - great service, loved the decor, and delicious food. It was the first time I ate calimari - and now I eat it every chance I can get - although not as good as it was there.
    Lisa
    December 6 - 13, 2014: AKL
    November 11 - 17, 2012: POFQ
    November 15 - 20, 2009: POFQ
    November, 2007: Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)!

Post Thanks / Like

Worst meal I have ever had at Disney, from appetizer to entrée to dessert was awful. And the management would not replace anything, my plates returned to the kitchen with only 1 or 2 bites gone and they charged a complete deluxe DDP credit for a meal I couldn't eat. As I was never going to go back, I'm rather glad to see them gone. Maybe something will come in that I like. Now done with venting.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    MississippiDisneyFreak, I think you're right on the money with your analysis. We ate there in 2012 and although my meal was just good, my wife's was amazing. My daughter, a huge Food Network fan, thought she'd love it. Unfortunately, there was nothing that appealed to her. She hated her meal, as did my DS3. In fact, it's become a joke wih her. All bad meals are compared to Kouzzina's now for her.

Too bad. I'd go back. So would my wife.
    There is another thread about no love for Garden Grill and the funny thing is my mom thought that menu sounded great and I thought it was too blah so we ruled it out too just for the opposite reasons of Kouzzina.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: